IIIC

Pieces of My Heart

 

o 1 o ;

 

I didn’t realise how fast time passed by. Before I knew it, it was already time for me to graduate from high school.

After that conversation I had with Daniel, I started coming out of my shell bit by bit. Slowly, he climbed his way through the huge, strong walls I had built around me. He made me feel better about myself; he made me feel as though I wasn’t so breakable anymore.

Most importantly, he made me realise that I wasn’t alone; that there were still people who cared.

 

Graduation day was fun I supposed. Surprisingly, I took a lot of pictures – with Daniel, Eunji and a few of my other classmates. Oh, and my little cousin too (who really was already a teenager) but then, Na Eun would always be my baby sister.

I saw my aunt and uncle beaming happily, and I even caught my aunt trying to sniff back her tears. I guess, I did make them proud of me. I was thankful. They are the next closest thing I have now.

But amidst the joyous atmosphere, there was one person who had to spoil it all.

“Yo! Park Chorong!”

I whirled around expectantly when I heard my name being called. When I saw who the voice belonged to, my eyes were narrowed into tiny slits.

Nam Woohyun was strolling casually towards me, with his two hands shoved inside his pockets. Behind him, his partner-in-crime, Lee Howon, followed closely.

“Congratulations!” he said, a little too loudly and enthusiastically. “Who would’ve guessed it, that we all made it this far, eh?”

“Only you,” I muttered. “But yeah, congrats,” I replied, a little louder and shrugged nonchalantly. “Hopefully, you’ll finally act your age after this.”

I expected him to throw a comeback, but he just grinned and even laughed a little.

“Will you be around to see it Park Chorong?”

I frowned. “Excuse me?”

“Nothing,” he shook his head, with that stupid grin still plastered on his face. “Anyway, I’m sure this won’t be the last time we’ll be seeing each other.”

I didn’t like the way it sounded. I didn’t like the way he had said it.

Because he sounded really convincing; that I almost believed him.

Almost.

Nah,” I brushed it off indifferently. “This is the second and last conversation we will ever have.”

Woohyun chuckled.

“Don’t be too sure, Park Chorong. Life is always full of surprises,” he winked. “Come on, Howon. We have other things to do.”

I just stared after him in disbelief as he gave me one last salute before walking away with his friend.

I turned to Eunji, hoping for an explanation - but I found her smiling like an idiot to herself, eyes never leaving Howon’s back figure.

I snapped my fingers in front of her face.

“Eunji!”

She blinked in surprise. “Uh?”

I groaned. “Forget it.”

Just then, somebody tapped me on the shoulder lightly.

“Hey,” Daniel’s familiar face greeted me when I turned around. “Can I talk to you for awhile?”

“Sure,” I said, stepping away from a distracted Eunji and followed Daniel to a corner. When we were finally alone, he gave me a smile and patted me gently on the head.

I used to dislike it, but now – it’s become one of my favourite things about him.

“So, we made it...” I spoke up, a little uncertainly when he still didn’t say a word. “We’re finally done with high school.”

He just continued smiling and nodded his head slightly.

“And...it’s college next...” I said slowly, still curious to why he hasn’t said anything yet. “Have you decided which college you’re going to attend?”

He started nodding again, but this time, a soft sigh escaped his lips.

“What’s wrong?” I asked in concerned. “Everything okay?”

Slowly, he took both of my hands in his and them gently. “Chorong-ah...there’s something that I have to tell you, something that I can’t put off any longer.”

“What is it?” I asked calmly, even though my heart was pounding so loudly, that I was pretty sure, he had heard it too.

“I-I’m going back to America,” he said softly, his warm gaze never leaving my eyes. “My uncle’s taking me back there to arrange the family business.”

I pulled away instantly.

I was going to lose him.

I was going to lose another person in my life.

Why?

The cycle never seems to end, does it?

“Chorong...” he pulled me back in again, and held on to me tightly. “Listen, it’s not going to be forever. I promise you – I will be back.”

“You’re still leaving.” My voice was already cracking, and I hated it. I hated the fact that this was happening because I let my guard down. I made this happened.

“Not forever,” he said quietly. “I will be back, Chorong. Before you know it.”

I didn’t know what to say.

What was I supposed to say?

“Wait for me, wait for me Chorong.”