XIV

Pieces of My Heart

o 2 6 ;

 

 

 

Woohyun pulled his car to a stop a few metres away from Chorong’s house that night. He glanced at the girl in the passenger’s seat and noticed that she was doing some kind of hand movements, while her body swayed from left to right mindlessly.

 

“Chorong-ah,” he shook her shoulder gently. “We’re already here.”

 

She appeared to be dazed and lost in her own world as she hummed some tunes that he didn’t quite recognise. Woohyun smiled to himself. He had to admit – drunken Chorong is adorable.

 

“Do you want to get out yourself or shall I carry you out?” he tried again, snapping his fingers right in front of her face.

 

She turned her head and looked at him through heavy eyelids, before breaking into giggles – which then turned into a loud snort. It made Woohyun laugh.

 

“Okay, that’s it. You’re officially wasted on the night of your birthday,” he said as he took off his own seatbelt, before leaning over to unfasten hers. “Come on, let’s get you home now.”

 

Chorong shook her head in protest as she tried to swat away his hand. “I don’t want to go home. Can’t I just stay here with you?” she whined.

 

Woohyun’s heart stopped for a moment at her offhand remark. He lifted up his eyes to look at her, and she cutely pouted at him. He quickly tore his gaze away from her lips and patted her cheek lightly.

 

“Ah, that’s just your drunk self talking. You’ll sleep it off tonight, and by tomorrow – you probably don’t even want to be in the same room as me.”

 

Before she could even say anything that might change his mind about letting her go, he quickly got out of the car and went round her side to open the door for her.

 

Anything Chorong says now is dangerous, and Woohyun couldn’t take that risk. If she were to give him that annoying pout again, he felt like he might just cave in to her.

 

Reluctantly, she dragged her exhausted body out and extended out her arms towards Woohyun. Left with no other choice, and also because part of him wants to – he wrapped one around her waist while his other hand closed the door behind her.

 

“I’m so tired...” she murmured. “Can you give me another piggyback?”

 

“Well...I don’t know,” Woohyun’s eyes twinkled mischievously as they started to walk towards her house together, with her arms still draped around his neck loosely. “My back still hasn’t healed from that night.”

 

“But I really don’t want to walk...”

 

“Chorong!” he chuckled. “It’s only a few more steps away.”

 

“Please?”

 

“Okay fine. But no piggybacks.” Instead, he placed one hand under her and in one swift motion, he lifted her up, bridal style.

 

“Whoa,” Chorong gasped a little at the sudden movement, her face already scrunching up.

 

“Don’t you dare throw up all over me,” Woohyun warned her seriously, yet he couldn’t help but to smile a little. It was weird, but he liked seeing Chorong like this – weak, fragile, dependable on him. It made him feel wanted and needed.

 

“Anyway,” he continued walking when he noticed that she managed to keep it under control. “Did you have fun today?”

 

“Hmm...” she nodded her head slightly with her eyes already half-closed. “I had a lot of fun. I sang a lot, I danced a lot and I drank too much. And it was really, really fun.”

 

“Do you want to go out with me again another time? I can show you some more dance moves.”

 

At this, she laughed out loud and hit his chest lightly. “Your dance moves are horrible!”

 

“Ha ha,” Woohyun laughed along. “You still enjoyed them.” He was about to say something else, but then he saw someone in the distance, standing on her house porch, tapping his foot impatiently as he watched the pair of them.

 

“Uh..Chorong? I think someone’s waiting for you,” he said quietly as the two of them started getting closer to the house. “Do you want me to-"

 

But before he got the chance to complete his question, the person was already moving forward, walking towards them.

 

Woohyun didn’t know what he was supposed to do, so he just meekly said, “Hey.”

 

The other male just eyed him judgingly, before his eyes dropped to Chorong’s sleeping figure in Woohyun’s arms.

 

“Uh...we went out for a drink,” Woohyun hurriedly explained. He could sense the displeasure and tension in the air. It was obvious that his presence was not welcomed. “And well...Chorong is not really a good drinker...”

 

“I know,” the other guy puts him to a halt. “Thanks, but I’ll take it from here.” He made a gesture to take Chorong from him – to which Woohyun responded by carefully putting her down and handed her over with much hesitance.

 

He just stood there awkwardly for awhile more, with his two hands stuffed inside his jeans pocket as he watched Chorong being led away without even being given the chance to bid her goodnight.

 

He was just about to turn around and made himself scarce, when he suddenly heard her chirpy voice calling out to him.

 

“Nam Woohyun!” she shouted. “I had a really great time today with you. Thank you!”

 

Woohyun whirled back around and saw Chorong waving her hand happily at him, despite her unconscious mind. Nonetheless, it still made Woohyun smile that she said she had a great time with him.

 

He waved back at her even though he knew she probably wasn’t aware of it or what was going on. He wanted to say something, but decided against it – seeing how he had received the hostile treatment from Chorong’s friend, whoever he is.

 

Chorong was happy, and that was all that mattered.

 

 

~

 

 

Minhyuk brought her up to her room personally, after asking for permission from her aunt. He slowly led her up the stairs as he made sure she carefully climbed them in her drunken state.

 

Upon reaching her bedroom, Minhyuk stepped forward and pushed open the door before reaching up his hand to switch on the lights.

 

He gently guided Chorong to her bed, which she immediately collapsed on without another word. Minhyuk just simply shook his head at her as he sat down on the edge of her bed and propped her legs up his lap.

 

After taking off her shoes, he pulled the covers up for her and quietly tucked her in for the night – all the while thinking where she had been the whole day and who was that Woohyun guy she had been with.

 

Seeing how she was already fast asleep, Minhyuk bent down and gently pressed his lips against her forehead and letting them linger there for awhile more.

 

Chorong...he said silently. I thought Suho is the only I have to worry about...

 

After about ten seconds long, he finally pulled away from her, with tears glistened in his eyes.

 

Happy birthday Rong-Rong...