IIIIA

Pieces of My Heart

o 1 2 ;

 

 

It was bad enough that she was dragging me to a date that I had no say in – but Na Eun even made me wear a dress which she had kindly picked out for me.

I, do not, wear dresses.

Especially, not the fuchsia, strapless dress which falls just above my knees; that made me seem as if I was wrapped up in a cocoon because of its tight-fitting.

“Why did I let you do this to me?” I continued to grumble away as she made me sit in front of the dressing table and started sweeping up my hair. “Tell me why didn’t I just let your parents know that I have completely no interest in doing this?”

“Because...you love me?” she teased, as her hands softly combed through my brown curls. “Unnie, I am truly grateful that you’re doing this for me. And don’t worry, Myung Soo said that his cousin in an easy-going guy. I’m sure the both of you will get along well.”

I doubted it, but I just sighed.

 

We arrived at the promise restaurant at about ten minutes after 8. But even when we were late, we didn’t see any familiar faces waiting for us by the door.

“He’s got class, choosing a restaurant for your first date,” I commented as I took a look at the place we were going to dine in. “But where are his manners? Making the girl wait for him like this?”

Of course, Na Eun would defend him.

“Myung Soo isn’t the type to make people wait. Probably, it’s because of his cousin. Or maybe, they are just stuck in traffic,” she quickly said when I glared at her.

“Son Na Eun, you are seriously – “

“Oh there he is!” she exclaimed, pointing at the direction from behind me. “They’re here!”

I rolled my eyes, as I turned around to meet my cousin’s boyfriend for the first time, and also my supposed set-up date.

But I felt my shoulders dropping when I only saw a lone figure approaching us.

“Why is he alone?” I hissed at the elated girl beside me.

“I don’t know,” Na Eun whispered back. “I’ll ask him what happened.”

“Hey,” the tall, lanky guy greeted when he approached us. He wrapped one arm around Na Eun and gave her a quick hug, before pulling away and bowing down at me.

“Hello, I’m Kim Myung Soo,” he introduced himself officially. “It’s nice to finally meet you. Na Eun has told me a lot about you.”

I did the same before raising my eyebrow at my cousin, who was grinning sheepishly.

“What have you been talking about me?”

“Nothing! Just...good things. I promise! Speaking of which...” she turned to Myung Soo. “...I thought you were bringing your cousin along?”

“Oh yeah, I did. He’s trying to find a parking slot. He told us to go in first and that he’ll join us in awhile. So, shall we?”

 

As my eyes were busy skimming through the long-list menu, I couldn’t help but to notice how the two lovebirds in front of me couldn’t seem to take their eyes and hands off each other.

I cleared my throat loudly.

Na Eun immediately retracted her hand which was about to reach for Myung Soo’s hair, and the latter leaned back against his seat as he tapped his fingers nervously on the table.

I might as well do my job well, right?

And besides, I was feeling like the awkward, pathetic third-wheel.

Just then, I heard footsteps coming up towards our table.

“Sorry I’m late,” a deep voice spoke up, accompanied by a hearty laugh. “I had to practically fight with another driver for the last slot. He wasn’t giving in and well, I wouldn’t too.”

Myung Soo snorted. “When are you going to stop being so childish, hyung? Anyway, you should apologise to your date. She’s been waiting for you.”

I took in a deep breath. Slowly, I raised up my head, curious to see who actually had the same unfortunate fate as me.

But my face fell, and my heart sank when I saw who it was. Even if he had cleaned up and was looking more matured than the last time I had saw him, the refined cheekbones still couldn’t hide the boyish, mischievous grin that could only belong to one person.

“Nam Woohyun.” I choked out, not believing how rotten my luck was.

He, on the other hand, was grinning like an idiot he was.

“Yo! It’s Park Chorong in the house!” he whistled. “Whoo! What did I tell you? We would meet again, right? Wow, this is amazing.”

I covered my face in embarrassment. I wanted to hide. I wanted to disappear.

Unnie,” I felt Na Eun’s hand reaching for mine. “Are you okay?”

Hyung, stop it. Everybody’s looking at us,” Myung Soo chided him. “And, do you guys know each other?”

“Why, yes,” Woohyun answered, a little too eagerly I must say. “We were classmates, in high school. Isn’t that so, chingu-yah?”

He nudged me with his elbow.

That did it.

I stood up abruptly, my chair making a loud screeching noise as I did so.

“Sorry,” I mumbled. “I can’t do this right now. I-I’m going home first okay? And don’t worry. I’ll tell your parents that you’re in good hands...” I shot Woohyun a dirty look. “...as long as you just stay with Myung Soo.”

“But unnie...” Na Eun started standing up too. Myung Soo did the same beside her. Only the jerk was still sitting down, watching me with much amusement.

“It’s fine,” I forced out a smile. “Enjoy your date. I’ll just take a cab home. Sorry, once again.”

I remembered to bow at Myung Soo, before I took my purse and made my way out of the restaurant. I could feel all the other guests’ eyes on me as I walked past them, but I was too upset to even care.

Upset?

No.

Furious.

What kind of fate is this?