XXI - FINALE

Pieces of My Heart

f i n a l ;

 

 

 

It’s been a week since the day she had slapped him for the first time. It has also been a week since they’ve had their last conversation – a huge argument indeed, and Woohyun hasn’t heard from her ever since.

 

It isn’t like he hadn’t tried calling her – in fact he did, for countless times.

 

There are still a lot of things that he’s unsure of and he needs Chorong to explain everything to him, every single detail, every single truth and no more lies.

 

But one thing that he is very certain of – he misses her like crazy every passing second that she’s not talking to him. He realised that he may have gone overboard with his words. His jealousy got the better of him and in turn, he lashed out at her without even giving her the chance to explain.

 

Even if it was true she had chosen Joonmyun over him, Woohyun had no right to challenge her decisions and he knows it. His actions weren’t right and he wants to make amendments.

 

He wants them to at least part amiably.

 

He decides to try her home again after his afternoon shift ends.

 

As he busied himself behind the counter, stacking up the packets of sugar and creamer, he hears the jingle sound playing from the entrance.

 

“Welc – “ he starts to greet, but when he looks up and meets Joonmyun’s eyes, the smile instantly freezes on his face.

 

For a moment, the two men just stand there and simply stare at each other, with only the counter separating them. Woohyun holds his breath, and he’s pretty sure Joonmyun is holding his too, each unsure how to make the first approach.

 

Now that the two of them know that they are actually in love with the same woman, the relationship they shared before this has suddenly become a little tad awkward.

 

Joonmyun clears his throat loudly. “Hey,” he speaks up first and manages a small smile. “How have you been?”

 

“Good,” Woohyun answers cautiously, as he tightens his clutch on the sugar packet holder. “What are you doing here?”

 

Joonmyun chuckles softly, which sounds kind of nervous to Woohyun’s ears. They are both on the edge and they know it fully well.

 

“You’ve never asked me that before. I didn’t need a reason to be here, back then.”

 

Huh,” Woohyun scoffed. “Things have changed now, hasn’t it?”

 

“Look,” Joonmyun starts to take a step forward. “I didn’t come here to pick a fight with you. I just...wanted to congratulate you and give the both of you my best wishes.”

 

Woohyun’s brows furrow in confusion. He must’ve heard Joonmyun wrong. Why on earth does he want to say congratulations? For getting his heart broken? Is this guy being serious?

 

“Joonmyun...” he begins. “If this is your way of mocking me or something...I suggest you leave and never come back. I don’t want to see your face – “

 

“Whoa,” the other male hold up both of his hands defensively. “What are you talking about? Mocking you? Why should I? If there’s anyone who should feel hurt, it’s supposed to be me. Chorong has made her choice clear when she picked you over me and – “

 

Now Woohyun is starting to get more perplexed than ever.

 

“W-wait...you said...you said Chorong picked me?” he asked in bewilderment, eyes shining with genuine confusion and at the same time, happiness. “But...I saw you guys. You even kissed her! And she hugged you. And you looked really happy – “

 

To his surprise, Joonmyun laugh out loud.

 

“I’m sorry that you got the wrong idea, Woohyun. I asked her if I could give her one last kiss, as a form of farewell...it was probably wrong but I wanted something of her that I could keep forever and...well she agreed. She hugged me because she was thankful about the fact that I was being so nice about the whole thing, even though she had just practically rejected me. She said that I’m a friend for keeps, for a lifetime. And honestly, that is good enough for me.”

 

Woohyun is left utterly speechless at Joonmyun’s honest confession. He tries to speak, but nothing would come out. He has wronged Chorong and he had falsely accused her when her love is clearly for him.

 

For him, and not Joonmyun.

 

“Woohyun...” Joonmyun reaches out a hand and pats him lightly on the shoulder. “Chorong is a gem. She’s a priceless gem, hard to find and even harder to keep. She’s your gem now and you have to look after her well. She chose you, because she trusts you. She believes that you’re the right one for her. Don’t make her doubt her decision, Woohyun.”

 

“I-I have to find her now.” He starts to yank off his apron and jumps over the counter without hesitation. “I have to find her now and apologise. She has to listen – “

 

“Woohyun,” Joonmyun moves forward and interjects him as he’s about to walk out the door. “Chorong is not at home now.”

 

Woohyun stops in his tracks and turns to Joonmyun desperately.

 

“Where is she then? Tell me where I can find her.”

 

“Incheon International Airport,” Joonmyun answers seriously. “Her flight leaves at 3:30 pm.” He glances down at his wrist watch. “If you run now, you might just catch her.”

 

Woohyun didn’t even bother asking why she had gone to the airport and where actually she is heading to. He just knows that he has to get to her on time.

 

“Stop her, Woohyun,” Joonmyun whispers to himself as he watches his friend run off. Even though he’s hurting, he still smiles. “Stop her and bring her back.”

 

 

 

 

 

I sit on one of the empty chairs as I wait for my flight number to be called. In both of my hands, I hold onto my passport, thinking for the last time if I’m making the right choice.

 

It probably isn’t and it’s most likely the easiest way out, but I couldn’t stay here and act as if everything’s fine. These past few months, I feel as though I’ve been through a lot, and when I’m finally ready to settle down – something just has to ruin it.

 

Nothing ever seems to work out for me and I am honestly tired of running. But maybe, and hopefully, this would be my last time and I wouldn’t have to do anymore escaping after this.

 

I’ll go somewhere far away and try to build a new life from scratch without anyone there to help me. I need to this by myself. I owe me this much.

 

Even today, I didn’t allow anyone to send me off – even though both Na Eun and Minhyuk practically begged me to let them come. Still, I stood firm and they knew better than to go against me.

 

Just then, they called out my flight no. and I grab my bag from the seat next to mine before standing up. Taking a deep breath, I start to trudge my way towards the departure section

 

I keep my gaze down and drown myself in my own thoughts, that I didn’t realise I was walking in someone else’s direction until I bumped into him hard.

 

“I’m sorry!” the person quickly apologises when he sees me staggering back a few steps. He immediately extends out both arms to grab hold of me and straighten me up.

 

I lift my head and see a slightly taller, built man in a steward uniform, peering down at me with deep, concerned eyes.

 

“Are you okay?” he asks me when I didn’t say a word.

 

I simply nod, still not offering anything else.

 

“Are you sure?” he presses. “You look kind of sick. If you want, I can take you – “

 

“It’s fine,” I finally say, giving him a small smile to appease him. “I’m just a little tired. I didn’t have enough sleep yesterday and it’s going to be a long flight...” I let my voice trail off as I let out an awkward laugh.

 

“Okay,” he releases his grip on me gently. “But, be careful okay? Don’t fall down or faint anywhere.”

 

He smiles down at me, and it’s probably the most sincere smile I have ever received from a stranger. Subconsciously, I find my own lips curving upwardly as I return his smile.

 

“Take care of yourself then,” he says, bowing down at me. “Perhaps, we’ll meet again someday.”

 

I nod and bow my head too. As we start walking in opposite directions, I can’t help noticing the initials on his suitcase.

 

L.H.W

 

 

 

 

 

I throw one last glance over my shoulder. Just one more step, and I will really be leaving everything behind. My birth-country where I had grown up in, my friends whom I shared laughter and tears with, my aunt & uncle whom I have regard as my own parents – basically every single person who means a lot to me.

 

But it’s also because of them, that I am making this decision to leave. I don’t want them to see me crying anymore. I don’t want them to offer their sympathy for something that couldn’t be fixed anymore. I don’t want them to worry about me anymore.

 

I inhale sharply, still trying to mentally convince myself that this is the right thing to do. But before I could drag my foot forward –

 

“Park Chorong!”

 

I must be dreaming. I must be missing him too much to be even hearing his voice right now.

 

“Don’t you dare take another step!”

 

Tears well up in my eyes. This is too much. This hallucination is getting out of hands. He couldn’t possibly be here. It couldn’t be his voice that I’m hearing.

 

“Don’t you dare walk away from me!”

 

With all the might I have left in me, I turn around slowly, holding my breath the entire time.

 

I can feel my knees unbuckling underneath me and I almost drop to the ground, if he hadn’t rushed forward and scoop me up in his arms.

 

Even then, I couldn’t believe that he is really there in front of me. That it is his arms around me and his hot tears drenching my black blouse.

 

Not until he pulls away and crashes his lips on mine, sealing every hurt, every pain, every grief, every agony with one, deep and longing, fervent kiss.

 

I’m still crying, but at least I know I’m crying for the right reason now.

 

“Chorong...” he breathes when we finally pull away from each other. He presses his forehead gently against mine as his lips graze the tip of my nose lightly. “...I’m sorry. I’m really, really, really – “

 

I place my thumb on his lips, stopping him from saying anything else. He doesn’t need to because I do not need any explanation now that he’s here, with me.

 

Now that we’re finally here, together.

 

“How could you even think of leaving me?” he asks quietly. “How could you?”

 

“You didn’t even give me the chance, Woohyun,” I murmur back. “You didn’t believe in yourself.”

 

“Joonmyun is a tough rival,” he chuckles softly, which causes me to hit him on the chest. “Okay,” he stops. “I’m better.”

 

“Thank you,” I smile. “Won’t you say it now then?”

 

“Say what?”

 

“Nam Woohyun, say those three words and I’m yours.”

 

“Are we doing Gossip Girl now?”

 

I burst out laughing. Woohyun too.

 

“I love you.”

 

I grin. “You know I was just kidding but hey, can I hear it again?”

 

Woohyun’s grin grows wider. “I love you, Park Chorong.”

 

“Okay.”

 

He stares at me in disbelief. “That’s it?”

 

I feign ignorance. “That’s what?”

 

“Where’s mine?”

 

“Where’s yours what?”

 

“Chorong...”

 

I giggle as I hold his face in both of my hands and smile up at him.

 

“I love you too, Nam Woohyun.”

 

 

 

e n d

 

 

 


 

A/N So hey, Pieces of My Heart has finally comes to and end :) *bittersweet feelings right now* this is by far, my biggest project, one that I can proudly call my masterpiece. I'm not saying this is perfect but I know I've tried my best and I hope all of you have enjoyed reading this, as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Honestly, when I first started this, I wanted WooRong to be end-game. But along the way, SuRong gave me much emotions that at one point, I was really thinking of making them the endgame. Minhyuk too, as the perfect, loveable bestfriend, made me confused every now and then. But I prefer him being in Chorong life as her eternal guardian & savior (as cheesy as that sounds) I did thought of a twist and perhaps, DanRong could end up together, but in my honest opinion they actually lacked chemistry. (is there any shippers though?) 

I'm sorry for the emotional roller-coaster ride I've put all of you through and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for sticking through with me & this story all these time even though I had taken months to update a chapter even. I'm sorry for all the tortured feelings (but know, I was just as deeply affected) I was constantly torn and you can ask my friends about that. S, A, L & V(if you manage to come all the way here) a big special thanks to you guys. For all the motivations & encouragements, for all the insults & blackmails (S mostly) for always being loyally excited :') I hope this ending didn't disappoint you, and any of you for that matter. 

I know, a part in this finale must be confusing some of you (if you manage to catch my hint) i will not explain now. But I will be pleased to answer any of your questions, should you wonder about what I had/have in mind. 

So hey all, WooRong, SuRong, MinRong, DanRong...whatever pairs you guys ship, you were here for a reason & I hope to see you guys again in my other on-going/future stories :) Bye guys! Thanks, again! ♥