VIII

Pieces of My Heart

o 2 o ;

 

 

 

He left.
 
 
He left me.
 
 
He left me after making me feel like a whole again.
 
 
But now he's back.
 
 
He kept his promise to return.
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
"We didn't even get to finish the food," Joonmyun complained once we stepped out of the restaurant, and into the night's wicked chilly weather which made me shiver instantly. Seeing how I was rubbing both arms in hopes of warming up myself, Joonmyun took off his own gray wool coat and draped it over my shoulders instead.
 
 
"T-thanks," my teeth chattered as I said so. "I should've brought along mine."
 
 
"Don't worry about it," he smiled and wrapped his arms around his own body, now only protected with a thin piece of long-sleeved black button down shirt. "But where are you off to in such a hurry anyway? Your best friend was clearly upset."
 
 
"He'll get over it," I mumbled as I searched through my purse for my phone. "I'll call him later to explain. Joonmyun - "
 
 
"What?" he grinned. "Are you not going to call me Suho?"
 
 
Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "Would you rather I call you that then? Okay, fine Suho - "
 
 
"Nah, I like it better when you say my name."
 
 
I gritted my teeth. "Where did you learn to be so annoying?"
 
 
"Aw, come on," he nudged me lightly with his elbow. "I'm not that bad."
 
 
"Honestly, I prefer the stuttering you," I admitted with a smirk. "Anyway..." I continued when I saw his eyes widening in protest. "...thanks for tonight. Really. I don't know what I would've done if you weren't here."
 
 
He smiled, his sincere smile - the one which showed his little dimple, which wasn't really visible unless you take a really close look, but I knew it was there. I've noticed it a few times before. It only appears when he's practically glowing. 
 
 
"Anything, Chorong. Anything at all, anytime."
 
 
I was about to say something else, but the sudden flash of a car's headlights turning from around the corner interrupted me before I could. I waited until it pulled to a stop right in front of where we were standing, heart racing wildly as I waited for the driver's face to emerge into my view.
 
 
Next to me, Joonmyun had fell silent too, and I could feel his gaze following mine closely. 
 
 
Moments later, the door was pushed open, and the driver came out of the car wearing a warm smile on his face. Even though it's been years since I had last seen him, even though the last memory I had of him was during his teen years - there's no denying the fact that it was really Daniel standing before me.
 
 
From the way his sharp, crescent eyes disappeared when he smiled, to the way his hands swung leisurely as he paced up the pathway to greet me - I knew that Daniel had really return, even before he open his mouth to speak.
 
 
"Chorong-ah," his deep, heart-warming voice filled my ear as he enveloped me into a tight embrace which spoke thousand different words and feelings that didn't need to be said. "It feels good to see you again."
 
 
I remained stiff in his arms; part of me still not believing that he was really there with me, and part of me not quite knowing how to react now that I'm with him again.
 
 
Thankfully, someone cleared his throat, a little loudly and uncomfortably I must add - pulling me out of the trance when I realised that Joonmyun was still standing there.
 
 
"J-joon - "
 
 
"Since your friend is here, I'll take my leave now," he said simply, lips still smiling, yet his eyes were telling an entirely different story. "See you around, Chorong."
 
 
I didn't know why, but right at that moment, all that I wanted was for him to stay.
 
 
But Daniel was there, staring at the pair of us intently, probably curious about the relationship we shared - so I just managed to choke out, 
 
 
"Thanks again for tonight. Take care, Joonmyun."
 
 
He lifted up his right hand to bid farewell as he started to walk away with slow, heavy steps. At the very last second, he glanced over his shoulder for one more time, but I couldn't really see his face in the night's dim light.
 
 
I watched him go until his back figure disappeared from my sight, and only then did I realised I was still wearing his coat, while he was probably freezing in the cold.
 
 
"Chorong?" 
 
 
Blinking, I turned to my right and saw Daniel standing there, looking at me with a worried expression. "Are you okay?"
 
 
"I-i'm fine," I gave him a tight smile and shrugged. "So, where are we going now?"
 
 
He winked. "A place which you used to love so much."