Onew is ing

At first sight

 

“You want to have the surgery?” I asked.

Min nodded completely sure in her decision. “But didn’t you just say that you wouldn’t?” I asked confused.

Min smiled of my confusion.  “Yes I do, Onew. But then I realized you were right.” I furrowed my eyebrows. “Really?” I asked her, surprised that someone finally listened to my wise mouth. Min shrugged her shoulders.

“I have been playing on the safe side all my life. I’m afraid of the future all the time. I have honestly never done anything risky in my life and I’m sicking tired of it. It’s boring and if I don’t take any chances my life’s never going to chance. You were my first chance Onew and I want this to be my second.”

“Are you really sure about this?” I asked her suddenly worried.

“Aren’t you a little bipolar now? First you say I should have this surgery and now you’re like this”, Min smiled. I grabbed her wrist in a try to make her understand what this surgery actually involved.

“It’s just--“ I couldn’t continue my sentence. Instead Hae-Won did it.

“Min. Are you aware of the bad things this surgery could involve?” Hae-Won asked her and meddled in our conversation.

Min turned her head in Hae-Won’s direction as a sign for her attention. Min’s smiled faded as she hadn’t thought of the risks at all.

“It’s not certain if you get your sight back. It’s a long surgery. Think about they are going to cut in your eyes. Small laser beams are going to fix your eyes. It might hurt really badly. I’m not saying this to worry you, it’s your own choice anyway, I just don’t want you to get disappointed”, Hae-Won explained to Min.

Min turned her head to me again. “Onew, how high are the chances I get my sight back?” Min asked me not responding at Hae-Won’s speech at all.

“Um… The sergeant said about 60 % percent. Why?” I asked her.

“Then it’s decided. I am going to have the surgery”, Min said firm.

“What about the 40 %, Min?” Hae-Won asked.

Before I might have thought that Hae-Won was being y and to mum alike to Min, but now I started to understand her. She was just worrying about Min when nobody else did. The reason why Hae-Won acted this way was because of the lack of their parents concern. And she was right: How would Min react if she woke up after the surgery with still no sight?

“They’ll just have to stay away”, Min answered lightly to Hae-Won’s question.

I laid and hand of Min’s cheek. “Min, do you understand the seriousness about this?” I asked her to be sure she was not just fooling around.

Min  wiped my hand away. Her tone of voice turned serious and a bit annoyed. “What’s there to lose? I have no sight right now. The only bad thing the surgery can bring me is getting me back to where I am now. I am not some stupid naïve kid. I know that this might not be a success but I am willing to try. And no matter what you to try to knock in my head, I am going to have this surgery”, Min said.

Hae-Won and I exchanged looks and sent each other an approving nod. If Min put it that way there was no way back. Min was going to have this surgery and we couldn’t do anything about it. S

I intertwined my fingers with Min’s. “Okay Min. Let’s do this together”, I said and decided that’s what I was going to do. If Min wanted this, I would be there for her.

Min smiled and kissed my cheek, with a little help from me placing my cheek in front of .

Suddenly Hae-Won interrupted. “Shinee hwating!” She burst out and did our usual greeting sign we did on talk shows. (I think you know what I mean. The one when they show their arm..?)

Hae-Won covered and turned bright pink when she realized what she just had done. Min giggled just by her words but I couldn’t stop myself from laughing.

“What I tried to say was: I am with you too”, Hae-Win said when she turned normal colored.

Min let go of me with one of her hands and used it to pull Hae-Won in for a big group hug.

“Shinee hwating!” Min laughed and made Hae-Won brightly read again.

                                                                 ***

“So, I understand that you, Min, are the one with bad sight?” The man in front of us asked.

I gave a Min’s hand a squeeze. We were at a meeting with one of the sergeant about the surgery. After we had finished talking to Hae-Won we had gone home to our apartment and contacted the sergeants. Now, a week later, we were sitting here in their office.

“Yes sir”, Min answered politely.

“How bad is your sight?” The man asked.

“I have been completely blind since my birth”, Min explained.

I didn’t have much to say in their conversation. I only went with Min to back her up. She needed all the support she could get.

The man nodded. “We need to run some tests at your eyes to see how good your chances are”, the man announced.

Min just nodded like it was no big deal, but my fits closed. “What? You said that her chances were at least 60 %. Why do you need more tests?” I asked disbelieving.

“We can’t know her exact chances without testing her”, the man answered.

My eyebrows furrowed. “So you just spilled out a random number?” I asked angry in my tone.

The man started to look nervous and he had a good reason to. You do not mess with Onew when it’s about Min.

“As I said we can’t--“, the man started to repeat himself.

“So you lied!?” I yelled and rose from my seat. Min laid a hand on my shoulder and pulled my down on the couch again. “Onew”, she warned me. “Fine”, I grumbled.

The man nodded thankfully to Min. “Let’s get started then”, the man said and showed Min behind a white curtain.

I waited on the other side. I wasn’t allowed to join them. It was something about a special light or something there could damage normal eyes. Because of that the man wore a special pair of glasses but he apparently did not have an extra pair for me, so I could join them. “This guy is starting to piss me of”, I muttered to myself.

After a few more minutes Min and the annoying man returned. The man carried a few test papers in his hand.

“You chances are at 48 %”, the man told us.

“This is not okay! Before they were at 60 %!” I shouted. Min grabbed my hand to calm me down.

The man started to sweat of nervousness. Honestly it thrilled me a little.

“Onew, it’s only 12 % difference”, Min said.

“Yes but if you haven’t noticed the chances went from positive to negative. Now there’s a bigger chance that your sight stays this way than chances.”

“Only by two percent!” Min protested.

“I’m still going to do this, Onew”, she said. I nodded and took a deep breath.

“When will the surgery take place?” Min asked the completely terrified man. I smirked. Key would be proud of my manliness right now.

“The lasers we use are in every hospitals target. So before we obtain a laser like that the surgery will not take place. It can take weeks and maybe months”, The man said. His eyes flickered to me as he said it, waiting for me next outburst. This time I stayed as calm as possible to not annoy Min anymore. This was important for her.

“Months!?” I asked on the edge of shouting again. Yes, this was my calm self right now.

“Please don’t hurt me!” The man screamed and covered his head with his arms. Apparently I wasn’t so as calm as I thought.

“He won’t”, Min decided and sent me a look there once again warned me about what would happen if I did. I sighed. “Fine, I won’t.” The man slowly came out from his hiding-place behind his arms.

“Yes. But we highly count on having it in a few weeks”, the man said. “We will give you a tiny machine. We’ll page you when the laser is ready and the machine will say a little beeping sound. A little like when there’s a new heart ready for people missing one”, the man explained and handed us a black machine in the size of a small iPod.

“Thank you for your time”, Min said and shook hands with the man when we were about to leave. The man held his hand forward as a sign for me to shake it, but I just sent him an angry look.

“So… I’ll see you when the laser is ready”, The man said to Min. “I’m going to be there too”, I said and looked the man directly in the eyes. Just to say that they better make this surgery be a success.

Min ignored my comment and waved at the man.

“What a nice man”, I said sarcastically when we were outside the building.

“he probably thinks the same about you right now”, Min muttered.

______________________________________________

Thank you for reading and commenting! :D What do you think? :)