What really hurt

At first sight

 

Min left the apartment with the sound of a smacking door. Her cold and disappointed voice still hung in the air. I was left in a daze not knowing what just happened.

“What are you still doing here? Run after her!” Taemin shouted and pushed me out of the door.

“Since when do you know about relationships?” I asked confused.

Taemin smirked but kept pushing me. “Alright I’ll run”, I gave up and held my hands up in the air.

I sprinted down the stairs trying to catch up with Min. I ran so fast that I even stumbled over my feet several times. Not that was something unusual.

“Min wait!” I shouted as she had any chance to hear me. People sent me weird looks and shrug their heads as I passed them. I didn’t care because all there was on my mind was finding Min before she disappeared. I didn’t even know where she lived.

I stumbled out on the on the street. Min stood a few meters down the street waving at a taxi that pulled in. This time I didn’t even wonder how she did that, I guess she could hear the car coming.

“Min, wait up! I’m sorry!” I shouted and ran down the street towards her. She already had half of the body in the taxi but I knew she heard my voice because for a moment she froze in her position.

“Are you going in or not?” The taxi driver asked her with annoyed voice. Min turned her head towards my direction as she considered running back to my arms for a second. But then she pulled rest of her body in the taxi and the taxi took off.

I desperately waved at a taxi there were driving by and it pulled in. “Can you follow that car as fast as you can?” I asked with panic in my voice.

The driver nodded and sped up. He zigzagged around the other cars in the street as he was in an action movie.

Just when I thought I actually was lucky for once Min’s taxi turned left and then the traffic light turned red. “Aish!” The driver shouted as he really was a mafia chasing another drug dealer.

“What now?!” I asked in annoyance. I couldn’t lose Min’s car of sight, then I might lose her forever. I smacked my forehead. “You should have got her address” I scolded myself.

“Can we still see them?” I asked the driver as we turned around the corner they turned around. “I’m afraid not”, the driver answered my question.

I sighed. “Then just pull in  here”, I ordered. The driver nodded and pulled in. “That’s 20 dollars” The driver said as I found my wallet.

“20!? That’s crazy I haven’t even drove in that car for 10 minutes!” I protested shocked. The driver just shrugged his shoulders. “Action movie stunts are extra”, he just bluntly said. “Aish!” I grumbled but gave him the 20 dollars.

Luckily we haven’t driven so far so the way back to the apartment wasn’t long. I barged into the apartment and yelled in frustration: ”I lost her! I frikin lost her!” I yelled.

Key looked up from his Mac when I barged into the apartment. When he saw my angry face he smirked. “That’s what you get for not telling Key anything”, he mumbled to himself.

I sighed. “Shouldn’t you feel sorry for me?” I asked him. Key just shook his head. “Take a chill pill. I have this total under control”, Key said and kept surfing on the internet.

“Yah, what’s so exciting?”  I asked him. Key turned to computer to me. “Bingo, Min’s address”, he said obviously satisfied with himself. “How did you--?” Key just laughed. “Don’t ask”, he just said and made a small wave with his hand as it was nothing.

“No, seriously?” I asked. Key face palmed himself. “Onew… Have you ever heard of the allways-knowing internet? It’s kind of magical, you should try it”, Key said. “Oh”, I said, feeling a little disappointed that I didn’t think that myself.

“Can I have it?” I asked. Key nodded. “Here, don’t do anything stupid”, Key said and handed me a piece of paper where he had wrote the address down. “Thanks”, I said and hurried out of the apartment.

“Can you take me here?” I asked the driver as I jumped into another expensive taxi ride. The taxi drove of and headed for the address. I almost drove for an half hour to their house. I had no idea that Min lived outside the center of Seoul.

On the way I came to use my brain for once. I suddenly understood why Min got so mad. I shouldn’t have meddled with her personal problem. Even worse I just called the sergeants without even talking to her about it. I wanted it to be a surprise but she already told me she hated surprises. I slowly understood why.

The taxi stopped in a small and nice neighborhood. Even though the houses were very small and didn’t look that fancy it was a place you wanted to settle down. Each house was painted in a cute color like light purple, pink, blue, green and so on. They had a little garden too.

“Over there”, the driver pointed at a little light yellow house. Marsh mallows grew up at the wall and fruit trees were planted in the garden.

I paid the driver and slowly walked towards the house. I rang the doorbell. No one answered but I heard a humming sound from the backyard. “Noona neumo--“ A lady voice hummed.

I walked to the backyard curious of who was singing our song. A lady was watering a small tree and humming along to a familiar song. My jaw dropped when I recognized her.

“Hae-Won?” I asked in surprise. Was she a fan… Of us? That couldn’t possibly be. She was being so rude and not fangirling at all.

Hae-Won turned her head to me in surprise. “Onew? What are you doing here?” She asked.

“Is Min here?” I asked. Hae-Won furrowed her eyebrows. “You really think I’m going to let you talk to her after what you did to her? Do you even know how much it hurt her?” Hae-Won scolded me.

I bowed my head in shame. “She cried like crazy when she came back here”, Hae-Won said. “S-she cried?” I asked and felt even worse than before.

“Yes she did. I actually believed you were a good guy”, Hae-Won said. “You did?!” I asked really surprised.

“Do you think I didn’t know about Min lying about where she was? Of course I knew, but I accepted it, because I believed in you. But I guess I shouldn’t…”

“You shall! I promise it wasn’t even my attention to hurt her like that”, I hurriedly said and desperately wanted back Hae-Won’s respect.

Hae-Won shrug her head in disappointed in me. “Min might could have handled it if it weren’t for her past. But she has a bad past and that’s why you hurt her so much”, Hae-Won explained.

“What happened in her past?” I asked and realized that maybe Min only told me what she wanted me to know.

“Our father ruined all of Min’s childhood. He spent all of our time to pull her from the first science investigation from the other. All the doctors kept telling Min’s case was impossible and she could not be saved. Min’s hope for a happy life faded more and more, but dad ignored the truth and continued having sergeants looking at Min. Min cried herself to sleep every night for years and even had suicide thoughts. She honestly believed that sight was everything in life. Her miserableness went on until Min and I ran away”, Hae-Won explained.

I was left speechless. “Science investigations, losing hope, a bad father, a runaway and suicide. All these things I didn’t know about at all, all her sorrows. I realized that she only told me her happy moments. Only the things she was proud of.

“So do you understand how she felt when she finally started to believe in love again and then you are starting the same game as our father?” Hae-Won asked.

“I’m so sorry that I didn’t even know about this. I mean really, I would never have done that if I had known what she had been through”, I said and felt awfully ashamed of myself.

A forbidden and unspoken line was stuck on my lips. I couldn’t say it out loud after this. But it was the truth. Instead Hae-Won said it: “I know you’re probably thinking that science has changes since then--“ Hae-Won didn¨’t get to finish before she was interrupted.

“And so do I”, Min said as she appeared in the French window.

___________________________________________________

What do you think? :-)

Btw, this is how happy I get when I see you guys started to comment:

image

Isn't it worth it? :-D