Dream Girl

Say That You Love Me

 

 
How do I start to tell the story?
How do I start to tell you when I have learned to love you?
I knew that after that summer you made your promise to me
The feelings I hid for so long became stronger
And then she came...
Without any warnings
She came and took you away from me
And I can only watch 
As you fall helplessly in love with her...
 
--
 
“Your bodyguard is here.” 
 
Chun smirked at the boy in front of him. He rolled the notebook he's holding in his hand, and whacked his head with it. “Be nice to my best friend, Lego Li!” he shouted at her. Lego just laughed at him, and then ran towards Ella, who was waiting for Chun by the gate. “Dork! What are you doing here, dork!” Lego said, starting to annoy Ella. And he did succeed, for he have annoyed the hell out of her. “You dork! Get out of my way before I could hit you!” she shouted at him. 
 
Chun came to Ella, and before he could hit him again, Lego ran away from the two. “See ya tomorrow Chun!” Lego shouted gleefully at him. Ella sighed as she shook her head. “What's with him? Don't tell me he's your classmate again this school year?” she asked. Chun nodded his head. “I don't have any choice...” he said. Ella let out another sigh. “Come on, let's go home, all right?” Chun said as he put his arm around her shoulder. “Fine...” she said. 
 
They walked home together that afternoon. They passed by the ice cream stall, and Chun bought two cones of ice cream for them. “So, how was first day of school?” Chun asked as they walked. “As usual... boring!” she said. Chun just laughed at her. “You always think that school is boring...”
“At least I am not like you, who loves school too much.”
“I do not!”
“Yeah, right! As if!”
 
Chun just shook his head, and continued to eat his ice cream. “Nothing interesting in your school today?” she asked. Ella shook her head. “Nothing. Yet. I heard from the teachers today that a new student will come tomorrow. They said she came from London. I don't know why the school would still accept a new student, especially since this is our last year in high school.” Ella said. “Maybe it was too sudden, or that new student really wants to study in St. Margaret.” Chun said. Ella sighed, and then ate her ice cream. “I don't know... I just don't feel that I am going to like this new student. She might be snobby, or a meanie!” Ella said. Chun smiled at her, and then he ruffled her hair, much to her annoyance. “Don't judge her, all right? You haven't actually met her yet. Who knows, the two of you might become the best of friends...” he said. “And you're not gonna be jealous if I found a new best friend in her?” she asked. Chun smirked at her. “I know that I always come first in your life!” he said proudly. 
 
Ella just shook her head. Sometimes, her best friend's complacent attitude is getting into her nerves. “I think you're right. I will befriend this new girl so that I don't get stuck with you.” she said as she folded her arms. Chun looked at her with a mock anger in her face. “Oh... so you don't want to get stuck with me? What did I tell you before? You're stuck with me forever. We're like Siamese twins... wherever you go, I'll be there as well.” he said. Ella smirked at him, and then rolled her eyes. “You wish!” she said. Then, Chun gave her an evil smile, and then ruffled her hair again, making her hair all messy. He knew that what he did angered Ella, and he could see it on her face. And he also knew that she would get back at him for what he did. And so, Chun began to ran away from him, and while he did, Ella ran after him. “Wu Ji Chun! Come back here, you brat! I'll never forgive you for messing up my hair!” she shouted at him. Chun looked back at her, and stuck a tongue at her. “Catch me if you can!” he shouted back at her.
 
--
 
“I heard the new girl is already here...” Ella heard her classmate, Ivy, said. Ella turned to her, and gave her a confused look. “Really?” she asked. Ivy nodded her head. “I heard she came from a really rich family. His dad is a diplomat abroad who was promoted to a higher position here.” Genie said. “Really?” Ivy asked. Genie nodded her head. 
 
Just then, their teacher came in with a tall girl tailing behind her. “Class...” the teacher greeted. All of them stood up from their seats to greet the teacher. After that, the teacher told them to seat down and began to introduce the new student. “Ladies, this is Tiffany Hsu. She came from London, and will be in this class starting today. I hope all of you will help her around, all right?” the teacher said. Ella looked up at Tiffany, and she was somehow mesmerized by her. She is tall, have a smooth porcelain skin, a long curly brown hair, and a pair of gray eyes. If she is a guy, she would easily fall for her charms, and she thanked God that she is not into those things. “Tiffany, you can sit right beside Ella Chen.” the teacher said, pointing at her. Tiffany nodded her head, and then headed to the empty seat right next to Ella. Ella glanced at the new girl, and saw her smiling at her. “Hi, I'm Tiffany.” she said as she took her seat. “I'm Ella. Welcome to St. Margaret.” she said. 
 
The class bells rang, and it was recess time. As soon as the teacher left, everyone was doing their own thing. “Hey, Ella... want to grab something to eat at the cafeteria?” Ivy asked her. “Later, Ivy. Got to do something.” she said. Ivy nodded her head, and went outside the room. Then, Ella looked at Tiffany, and saw her looking at her. “You're not going out to eat?” she asked. Tiffany smiled shyly, and shrugged her shoulder. “I... don't know where the cafeteria is...” Tiffany said. With that realization, Ella smacked herself in the head. “Oh, shoot! How could I forget...” she said. Tiffany just laughed at her. “It's OK... I'm sure I could find my way there...” Tiffany said as she stood up. “Oh, wait. Let me walk you there...” Ella said as she stood up. Tiffany gave her a confused look. “Aren't you supposed to do something?” she asked. Ella smiled, and shook her head. “It's just our assignment in English, no worries. It can wait till I come home later, right? I'll accompany you” she said. Tiffany smiled at her again, and nodded her head. “So, shall we go?” Ella asked. “Sure. Thank you for going with me, Ella.” Tiffany said. 
 
--
 
Dismissal time came, and as usual, the students rushed out of the classroom to leave school. Ella and Tiffany were left inside the classroom, as the two were designated as school monitors for the day, and have to make sure that the room is spic and  span. “Ella, how will you go home, by the way?” Tiffany asked as she arranged the chairs. Ella stood on the platform, and began to erase the board. “I usually walk home. My house is not far from here.” she said. “So, you walk alone? Don't Ivy and Genie go home with you?” Tiffany asked again. Ella shook her head. “Their house is far from here. But I don't walk alone. I have a best friend at Southwood, you know that all-boys school next to ours. I walk home with him.” she answered. “That's nice. It's good to know that you have a good friend. With the kind of work my dad have, we always move to different places and countries, and because of that, I don't have much friends, or anyone that I can consider as my best friend. Good thing my dad finally decided to settle down here in Taiwan. I really hope I could find new friends.” she said. 
 
Ella stepped down on the platform, and then walked up to Tiffany. “Let's make a deal...” Ella said. “What is it?” Tiffany asked. “I'm going to be your girl best friend.” she said, smiling at her. Tiffany gave her a confused look. “Won't your best friend get mad at you for having another best friend?” she asked. Ella shook her head. “Aiyo, it's much better. If you only know Chun, he gets to be a annoying little pest sometimes. Anyway, it's good to have a girl best friend, right? At least we can about girl stuffs.” Ella said. Tiffany smiled, and nodded her head. “Well, it's a deal then. Ella Chen, you got me as your new best friend.” Tiffany said. Ella smiled at her, and the two girls gave each other a high five. 
 
After they're through cleaning the classroom, Ella walked Tiffany outside the school. “Are you going to Southwood now?” Tiffany asked. Ella nodded her head. “I promised Chun I'll meet him outside his school today...” she said. “That's too bad... I was about to ask you if you want to come over at our place...” Tiffany said. “how about tomorrow?” Ella asked. Tiffany smiled, and nodded her head. “Sounds great.” she said. Just then, a black limousine stopped in front of them. The chauffeur got out of the car and opened the door for Tiffany. “I'll see you tomorrow, Ella. Don't forget out date.” she said as she got inside the car. Before the car left, Tiffany waved goodbye at her, and Ella did the same thing. 
 
“Whoa! Dork got herself a rich friend!” Ella heard someone say. She looked back, and saw Chun and Lego together. She folded her arms as she glared at Lego. “Can you be more annoying somewhere else?” she asked in an annoyed tone. “Sorry, but I can only be more annoying to you!” he said cheekily. Before Ella could hit him with her bag, Lego ran away from the two. “Get back here, you dufus!” she shouted. Chun just laughed at his best friend. “Wei, why did you bring him with you? You know how much I hate him!” Ella told him. “He insisted to walk with me. He said I might get harassed by my fan girls... that's why.” he said. Ella raised an eyebrow at him. “Yeah, right... as if you're that handsome. FYI, you're not.” she said. Chun just laughed at her again. “So... is that the new girl you're with?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “Tiffany.” she said. “Seems like you're spending way too much time with her. Are you dumping me as your best friend now?” he asked in a hurt tone. Ella stuck her tongue out at her, and ruffled his hair. “Of course not. You, adorable dork, is still my best friend.” she assured her. With that, Chun smiled at her. “Good. Since I'm still your best friend, how about treating me for some ice cream?”
 
--
 
It was Friday afternoon and Ella and Tiffany were hanging out at McDonald's near their school. While Ella was muching on her fries, Tiffany is busy reading some romance novel. “Why is it that you love reading those kinds of books?” Ella finally asked. Tiffany looked at her, and smiled. “The story is nice. It's a feel-good kind of story. You should try reading it.” she said as she pushed the book on Ella's side. Ella let out a sigh as she stared at her book. “I won't be able to read a book that thick... really... maybe I'm not really that fond of books...” she said. Tiffany giggled at her. “You're funny, Ella.” she said. 
 
As she continued to eat on her fries, Tiffany looked outside the window. “But you know what, I love reading those romance novels because there's a part of me wanting to experience what is it to really fall in love. I wonder what it's like to meet the one that will make your heart flutter. Maybe you will hear a song in your head when he comes your way. Maybe there will fireworks in the sky the first time he kissed you. And when he holds your hand, maybe his hand is the warmest thing you'll ever feel.” she said dreamily. Tiffany turned to Ella, and saw her sipping on her drink. “Honestly, I've never been in love. But I want to... Ella... have you been in love before?” she asked. 
 
That question made her silent. She doesn't know if she could trust Tiffany with her deep and dark secret. Yes, she have been in love, and she will always be in love with one guy, and that guy turns out to be her best friend. She was too cautious about that secret, not wanting to ruin what they have now for she now things will just be complicated. And besides, she knows that Chun doesn't feel the same way for her. For him, she will only be his best friend. She chose to shake her head in denial. “No... not yet... but I'm not dismissing the thought of falling in love with someone.” she said. 
 
Just as the two girls turned to the door, they saw Chun walk inside. He paused to look around. She felt her heart beating fast with the thought that he was looking for her. But as his eyes landed on their table, his eyes became glued on Tiffany. He let out a boyish smile at the two. He waved at them, and Ella could only wave back at her best friend. As she looked at Tiffany, she noticed something different from her. Her eyes were meeting that of Chun's. Her eyes sparkle as he walked towards their direction. There was a sudden happiness in her face that she could not explain. 
 
“Hi Ella.” Chun said to Ella. He glanced at her for a while before turning his eyes on Tiffany. The two gazed at each other for a while, ignoring the fact that Ella is with them. She cleared to gain their attention, and she was successful. “What are you doing here, Chun? I thought you have basketball practice?” she asked. “It got canceled.” he said as he took her sit. “By the way, Chun, this is Tiffany... the new student. Tiff, this is Chun. My best friend.” she said. 
 
She felt a lump on upon uttering the word “best friend”. She could only watch as Chun extend his hand to her. “It's nice to meet you, Tiffany...” he said. She gazed at her best friend's face, and saw a certain glow in him. He never smiled that way at her. He was never this gentle before. It's like seeing a different side of her best friend for the first time. She watched as Tiffany took his hand, and held it for a long time. “It's nice to meet you too, Chun...” she said sweetly. 
 
And at that moment, she knew that even before the fight for his love began, it's obviously that she lost the battle.