One Smile

Say That You Love Me

It doesn't matter if I'm hurt
It doesn't matter if my heart is breaking.
I love you much to do everything for you
I'll do everything and anything to keep you happy
And to earn that one smile from your lips...

--

Chun walked Tiffany home that night, after their date. He was so happy that he got a chance to be with her alone, and he was happy that Ella gave him that chance. He got to know her even more, and he started to feel more comfortable around her, unlike before when he tends to stutter when he talks to her in person.

“Here we are.” Tiffany said as stopped in front of a big white gate. She turned to Chun, and smiled at him. “Thanks for a wonderful afternoon, Chun.” she said. Chun blushed the moment she smiled his way. “It's nothing. I hoped you enjoyed my company.” he said as he scratched his head. Tiffany nodded her head. “I did. It was fun hanging out with you.”
“So, do you think we could do this again? We could go out again?”
“Of course.”
Chun's smile widened upon hearing her answer. “Great! M-maybe next time, Lego and E-ella can go out with us. I promise the next would be much fun.” he said. Tiffany smiled, and nodded her head. “I can't wait for the next time, Chun.” she said. “Me too. Next week would be good?” he asked. She nodded her head again. “Great. Then, next week it is. I'll wait for you at the school gate. Same time, same day...” he said. “Can't wait.” she said. He said goodnight to her, and then left as soon as Tiffany got inside the house. “Yes!” he shouted, throwing his clenched fist up in the air. Finally, he have another chance to be with Tiffany, and he knew this will be the start of something new for them.

--

He got home that night, and saw Ella by their porch. “Oh, hey Ella!” he said cheerfully. Ella let out a smirk at him. “Seems like someone is so happy today.” she said as she folded her arms. Chun nodded his head. “I am. Thanks to you, my very very best friend.” he said. Ella snorted at her best friend. “Yeah, right… whatever. You should thank me that I’m helping you with Tiffany.” She said. He smiled at her, and then put his arms around her neck. “Of course, I am. I’m very grateful that you’re here to help me always. Don’t worry, if you ask for a favor or help, I’ll be there for you.” He said. “You better keep that promise, or else.” She threatened him. Chun just let out a laugh.

“So, what are you doing here at this time? It’s already late.” Chun asked. “Well, I’m here to tell you that the uni will be giving out the application forms next week. I was hoping you could come with me.” She said. Chun nodded his head. “Sure, no problem. I’ll go with you at the uni.” He said. “Great then. So, next week, you will be my date. Make sure that you’ll be there. I won’t get you the application form if you won’t come with me.” She said. Chun raised his right hand at her. “I promise. Cross my heart, hope to die.” He said.

--
The following week.

As Ella got out of their house, she saw Chun waiting for her outside. “What are you doing here?” she asked. Chun looked at her, and smiled. Then, she saw him holding a small teddy bear. She recognized it as the teddy bear that she have been asking Chun for years to get her at the local toy store. “Wow! Finally, you got it!” she said excitedly as she snatched the teddy bear from his hand. She hugged it, and smiled at him. “Thanks , I know you will get it for me. Why does it have to take you so long to get it?” she said. Chun laughed at her, and snatched the teddy bear from her hand. “This is not for you, silly.” He said.

At that instant, the smile on her face disappeared. “It’s for Tiffany?” she asked. Chun nodded his head. “We passed by the toy store the other day, and she found this cute teddy bear. She really wanted this, but she didn’t have enough money. So, I bought this teddy bear for her yesterday. Isn’t it cute?” he asked. She folded her arms, and then walked away from him. Chun was puzzled by her sudden reaction. “Ella?” he called as he walked after her. “Ella? Are you mad?” he asked again. Still, there was no answer from her. He ran to her, and held her arm to stop her. As he faced her, he saw the angry expression on her face. “Ella? What’s wrong?” he asked. She brushed his hand from her, and glared up at him. “What’s wrong with me? Chun, I was the one who asked you to buy me that teddy bear first! You didn’t want to buy it for me. You said I should save up for it. You said you will not buy it for me, unless it’s my birthday! And then what?! Just because Tiffany didn’t have enough money to buy it, you took your money, and bought it as a gift for her? Don’t you think you’re being too unfair to me?” she said angrily.

Chun was taken aback by what she said. “E-Ella…” he said softly. “Right, it will always be about her. Oh, yeah… I forgot… you were doing everything to be on her good side… so that you could be much closer to her… so that you can win her heart. Am I right?” she said sarcastically. Chun just looked at her for a long time. He felt guilty because everything she said is true. “I… I’m sorry…” he whispered. “And I wouldn’t be surprised if you forgot your promise to me… that you will go to me at the uni to get the application forms?” she asked. With that, Chun closed his eyes, and smacked himself in the head. “Ella… I’m really sorry, I forgot about that and made plans with Tiffany today.” He said. Ella tried to control her anger. She took a deep breath, and then walked away from him again. Chun looked back, and then began to follow her again. “Look, Ella… it was an honest mistake. I forgot about it… it’s my fault… I’m sorry.” He said. “Go away!” Ella shouted at him. Chun was still persistent in following her. “Ella… please… don’t be mad at me… please…” he pleaded. Ella just continued going her way, as Chun followed her.

“Ella… please stop. Hear me out… please…” he pleaded. This time, Ella stopped, and turned to face him. “So, which came first? Your date with Tiffany, or our date at the uni?” she asked. Chun just lowered his head. “Tell me the truth. Did you asked Tiffany out before you agreed to go with me at the uni?” she asked again. Chun slowly looked up at him, and nodded his head. “I… asked Tiffany first… I’m so sorry, Ella.” He said. He saw her clenching her fist. She bit her lips as she tried to control her tears from falling. “I… I just wished for once, I could become your priority. I… I just wished that you didn’t make a promise to me, especially when you were so happy because of Tiffany. I… I just wish you would realize that I also need you, my best friend. I’m doing everything I could to help you. God knows that I am… but I guess I am a fool to believe that you will return the favor to me.” She said softly. She wiped the tears that finally fell from her eyes. Then, she swiftly turned her back on him, and walked away. Chun did not dare to follow her. He knew he have hurt her by breaking his promise to her. “What have I done?” he thought. He felt guilty for breaking his promise to her, and he have never seen Ella this mad at him before.

--

Ella walked at the school gate, and she saw Tiffany and Chun together. She just let out a sigh as she saw the two smiling at each other. As soon as they left the school, she walked outside the school gate. “Hey, dork!” she heard someone say. She looked back, and saw Lego running up to her. “So, are you going to the uni now?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “Where’s Chun?” he asked. “Aren’t you supposed to know where he is? He have a date with Tiffany today.” She said. Lego folded his arms, and smiled playfully at her. “So, that explains the gloomy mood.” He said. Ella snorted at him. “If you only knew what happened…” she said. Lego put his arms around her as they walked. She looked up at him, and he smiled at her. I think it’s not that worse, right? I mean, you two fight a lot, but you two always made up for that. And be more considerate. It’s the first time that Chun the great is in love.” He said. She let out a sigh and continued to walk. Before she knew it, they were already inside the university.

“I’ll wait for you here. Do what you have to do.” Lego told her. Ella looked at him, and smiled. She nodded her head, and then ran up to the building’s entrance. Then, she paused, and then looked at Lego. She walked up to him. “Thank you. For being here for me.” She said. Lego smiled back at him. “No need to thank me. Just think of me as your guardian angel.” He said, winking at her. Ella laughed at him. “A very annoying guardian angel.” She said. Lego laughed at her. “Better hurry up, or you won’t be able to get an application form. I’ll wait for you here, all right?” he said. Ella nodded her head, and then ran up to the building.

She lined up to take the application form. Then, it was her turn. “Hi, can I get an application form?” she asked the lady behind the window. The lady smiled at her, and then handed her the application form. She took it, and then left the line. As she stared at the application form, she suddenly remembered Chun. Like her, Chun wanted to get in to this university, and she knew that Chun is working hard to be able to get in to this university. She let out a sigh, and then went at the end of the line. As soon as it was her turn, the lady looked at her. “It’s you again?” she asked. “I… I would like to ask for another application form. This time, it’s for my best friend. Would that be OK?” she asked. “We don’t usually give out more than one form to an applicant.” She said. “Please, madam… my friend couldn’t just come here because he’s sick. He badly wanted to get into this university, and I know that you only give out the forms just today. Please… please give me another form, for my friend?” she asked. The lady smiled at her, and then handed her two application forms. “I’m just kidding. Here, you can give these to your friends who wants to enter this university.” She said. She smiled at the lady and thanked her for giving her the application forms.

As she got out of the building, she noticed that Lego is not around. “Where could he be…” she thought. She went down, and then walked towards the park just in front of the school building. She sat at one of the benches, and then waited for Lego to come back. Just then, she heard someone playing the guitar again. It was the same song as she heard the other day at the chapel. She looked at the other side, and saw the same guy she saw at the chapel, playing the same song on the guitar. He was humming to it as he strums the strings. She listened to him play the song, then he paused and looked at her. He smiled at her, and she smiled shyly at her, and nodded her head.

“Calvin!” she heard a girl said. She saw a girl walk up to him, and sat beside him. “Don’t forget tonight.” She said. Calvin looked at her, and nodded his head. “I won’t miss it for the world.” He said. “It’s the senior’s girlfriend…” she thought. She decided to ignore them, and mind her own business while waiting for Lego. Then, she saw Lego rushing up to him. “Hey, Ella…” he said, trying to catch his breath. “Where have you been?” she asked. “Just around the corner. Are we good? Can we go home now?” he asked. Ella stood up, and nodded her head. “Let’s go.” She said.

As she leaves, Calvin looked at her. The smile on his face slowly disappeared as she left with Lego. “Must be her boyfriend…” he said. He let out a sigh, and began to play a new song, but then he always ended up playing the song he was playing while looking at that girl. “God, what’s wrong with me? That girl sure have an effect on me.” He thought as he laughed.


--

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Lego asked Ella. They were by Ella’s gate, and Lego have walked her home. “Depends. Are you gonna treat me out tomorrow?” she asked. “Ice cream?” he asked. Ella smiled, and nodded her head . “You bet!” she said. Then, he pulled something from his bag, and showed it to Ella. It was a bear hand puppet. “I think I know why you’re upset a while ago. This may not be like the teddy bear that you wanted Chun to get you, but it’s the cutest one they’ve got. Too bad, someone already bought the last piece of that teddy bear…” he said as he scratched his head. Ella laughed at him, and then took the puppet from his hand. She put in on her hand, and then she made it talk with her hands. “Xie xie ni.” She said. Lego looked at her, and smiled. She let out another laugh upon seeing him blush. “What?” he asked. “You’re blushing, Lego.” Ella said. “I am not!” he said defensively. Then, she made her puppet talk again. “You are!” she said. She laughed at him again.

Just as the two were teasing each other, Chun got out of his house, and saw Ella and Lego laughing at each other. He saw the sudden closeness of the two, and somehow, he felt jealous. Ella got mad at him for not keeping his promise, and with Lego being close to her, he felt threatened. He let out a sigh, and went back inside the house sadly. “I just wish my surprise for her would be enough for her to forgive me…” he thought.

Ella went inside her room, and the first thing she saw is the teddy bear she liked on top of her bed. She let out a smile as she took it. With it is a note from Chun. “I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad at me.” It says. She smiled to herself, and hugged the teddy bear. Meanwhile, Chun heard a knock on his door. He rushed to it, and saw his mom standing. “Ella wanted to give this to you.” She said. He took the application forms in her hand, and smiled to himself. On the upper right hand corner of the paper was a note from Ella. “You may have forgotten your promise to go with me to the uni today, but you have to promise me to pass the entrance exam with me so that we could study there, all right? I forgive you, and thanks for the teddy bear. P.S. Give the other form to Tiff.” It says.

He immediately rushed to his window, and then called on to Ella. “Ella!” he shouted. Ella got up from her bed, and opened her window. “Thank you.” He said. “Don’t mention it. I’m your best friend, remember? If you break another promise, then I swear I’m gonna find a new best friend.” She threatened. Chun smiled, and nodded his head. “I promise.” He said, smiling at her.

She closed the window, and then turned back to her bed. She knew she would do everything to see him smile like that. She will take anything just to see him smiling, even if it hurts her so. “I will try to be more understanding, Chun…” she thought. “I will try… for your sake…”