Taken Away

Say That You Love Me

 Taken Away

 
 
You smiled at her.
Her eyes sparkled as you looked her way.
There was this glow on your face as she blushed.
And the more I am seeing the two of you, 
The more I'm seeing the distance between us.
Tell me, 
How can I have the courage to let you know how I feel
When she have already taken your heart?
 
--
 
He held her soft hand as he gazed into her eyes. He could feel Cupid's arrow finally hitting his heart, and it hit him really hard. He felt her small hand was so warm, but it managed to bring shivers to his spine. He felt as if he could hold her hand forever. He didn't want to let go.
 
He have fallen in love with her at first sight, and there was now denying it.
 
“My hand...” Tiffany said shyly. It was as if he snapped out of a dream. He let go of her hand, and blushed as she giggled at him. “What's wrong?” Ella asked. “Oh, nothing... she...” Chun said, looking at Tiffany's direction. “She have a really soft hand.” he said. Ella lowered her head, and stared at her hand. “He... he never said that my hand is soft...” she thought shyly. “I didn't know your best friend is a sweet talker, Ella.” Tiffany said. Ella looked at her, and forced a smile on her face. “Oh, yeah he is. So, don't believe a thing he is saying, all right?” she said. “Ella, don't say that. I'm not a sweet talker or a liar...” Chun protested. Tiffany giggled again. Every time she does that, it could only make Chun's heart beat faster. And every time Chun looks at her direction, it could only break Ella's heart. 
 
It's amazing how she could survive every second with them. Chun was talking to Tiffany, ignoring her existence. Tiffany smiles his way whenever he tells a funny story, or a funny joke. All she could do was smile and nod her head. It's amazing how she could cover up the pain that's building up inside her. She laughs with them. She smiles with them. Although it seems like she is being left behind by the two as they get to know each other. Seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. And the hours seemed like forever for her. 
 
Just as Tiffany looked outside the window, she saw the black limousine that was her service. “My chaffeur is here. Gotta go.” Tiffany said as she stood up. She took her bag, and then smiled at Chun. “It's nice to meet you, Chun. Hope to see you soon.” she said. “Yeah, same here. Hope to see you soon, Tiffany.” he said. She waved at the two, and then rushed out of the restaurant to go home. As she leaves, Chun followed her with his eyes. He looked outside as she got inside the car. “Wow...” he said in a daze. “Wow, what?” Ella asked as she leaned on her chair. Chun looked at her, and smiled. “She... she's amazing, Ella. I don't know... she's...”
“Perfect. Pretty. Lady-like?”
“Yes. And-”
“She have this almond eyes that you wish stare at forever?”
“Yes, And -”
“She's nice, interesting and cute?”
 
Chun let out a smile at him. “How can you read my mind?” he asked. Ella snorted at him. “Isn't it obvious? You have a crush on Tiffany!” Ella said. Chun chuckled, and then shook his head. “Am I that obvious?” he asked. Ella shook his head. “No. You just look like a giddy school boy crushing on someone.” she said. 
 
--
 
Dismissal time came. 
 
Ella just came from the library, and as she went to the school's gate, she saw Chun standing by the gate, talking to Tiffany. She paused for a while. Her steps became slower as she gets near the two. She could see them laughing. She could see him smiling at her. She could see his face light up at her. She could see the same thing that she saw yesterday, when the two officially met. She looked away from them, hoping that somehow, it would ease the pain she is feeling right now, but as she looked up again, it was the same scene. 
 
It wasn't long before she saw Tiffany waved goodbye to him. She left him alone, and Chun was still standing at the school gate looking like as if he is in cloud nine. She took a deep breath, and approached her best friend. “What are you doing here?” she questioned her. “I'm waiting for you.” Chun said, smiling at her. “You never waited for me. You said I'm real slow. And the time our class ends makes you don't want to wait for me here.” she pointed out. “Can I wait for my best friend, for once? Let's go home, all right?” he said. He put his arms around her, and pulled her away from the school.
 
Ella was silent along the way, and Chun have not noticed it. All the while, he had this smile on his face. Not a goofy smile, but a contented smile. It's like he accomplished something. “I saw.” she said, finally breaking her silence. Chun stopped, and gave her a puzzled look. “Saw what?” he asked. “I saw you talking to Tiffany.” she said. Chun smiled at her again. “Yeah... I kinda bumped into her while waiting for you...” he said shyly. “Cut the crap, Wu Ji Chun. I know you waited in front of the school gate for her, and not for me.” she said. She folded her arms as she glared at him. “Do you have to make me an excuse to get to talk to her?” she asked. Chun let out a sigh as he put his hands on his pocket. “Sorry... it's just that... you know... I... I want to make my move. Guys in my school are talking about this gorgeous newcomer from St. Margaret. I had to make my move before everyone could.” Chun explained. Ella just stared at him. “So... I made an excuse of waiting for you so that we could go home together...” he added.
 
Ella let out a sigh, and walked away from him. Chun followed her. “Hey... Ella... don't be mad...” he said. She paused, and then took a deep breath before facing him. She knew that she have to control what she's feeling, or Chun will find out her secret. “OK, so I'm mad. And as a good best friend that I am, I forgive you. Happy?” she said, forcing a smile at him. Chun pouted at her. “You're not sincere.” he said. Ella sighed, and let out a real smile. Chun smiled back at him. “Now I'm happy.” he said. He put his arms around her, and they began to walk. “And since you made me as an excuse to talk to Tiffany, treat me for some ice cream.” she said. “All right!” he said without any second thoughts.
 
--
 
That night, Ella was doing her assignment. She was stuck at one item on her Math assignment, so she decided to call Chun to ask for help. It took 5 rings before Chun finally answered her call. “Hello?” she heard Chun said in an annoyed tone. “Hey, Chun... need your help regarding a math assignment...” she said. “Ella, sorry, can't help you right now.” Chun said. “Why? You always help me out when I ask you to...' she said. “I'm on the other line with Tiffany.” he said. 
 
Ella felt her face fell down upon hearing that. “Oh...” she said, her voice, faltering. “You understand, right? Gotta go now, Ella. I don't want to keep Tiff on the call wait. I'll try to help you later.” he said. Without even saying goodbye, Chun ended the call. She put the phone down, and stared at her notebook. “He used to help me with my assignments... and now...” she said to herself. She wanted to cry. She wanted to get mad at Chun for ignoring her. But then, there's nothing she could do. She is just a best friend. Chun is in love with Tiffany, that she knows, and she have no right to be jealous or to be mad at him because of what he is doing. He is only trying to get close to the girl he likes, and she knew she would do the same thing if she fell in love with another boy, but too bad, the boy she like is her best friend. And the saddest part of it, she was being put aside by her very own best friend. 
 
Now, she's beginning to wonder what else would change between her and Chun, now that Tiffany has come between them.
 
--
 
Since she was not able to finish her math assignment last night, Ella was cramming on finishing it the next day. As she was busily solving it, Tiffany came up to her, and sat beside her. “Hey, Ella!” she greeted. Ella looked up at her, and gave her a faint smile. “Hey, Tiff...” she said. “So, what are you doing?” she asked. “I'm finishing my math assignment.” she answered. Tiffany just smiled, and nodded her head. She turned her attention to her assignment, with Tiffany just observing her. “So, I heard you and Chun were chatting on the phone last night.” Ella said. Tiffany smiled giddily, and nodded her head. “He did. He called me last night. I bumped into him yesterday while he was waiting for you, so we chatted for a while, then he asked for my number. I never expected that he would call me!” she said excitedly. Ella just nodded her head. She was trying to hide the jealousy she is feeling by smiling at her. It should have been her that Chun was talking with last night, if only her best friend did not ask for her number. “You know, he's a really funny guy. Interesting. He have a lot of stories to share!” Tiffany said. “Chun have always been... quiet... around girls...” Ella said. “He said that as well. But I don't know... I guess both of us hit it off.” Tiffany said. “Guess so...” Ella said, turning her attention to her assignment. 
 
Tiffany continued her story about her phone conversation with Chun the night before, while Ella is trying to concentrate on finishing her assignment. She paused for a while, and then peeked at Ella's notebook. “Seems like you're having a hard time solving that problem...” she commented. Ella nodded her head. “I do. I don't know how to solve this one.” she said. “I think I know how.” Tiffany said. She moved her chair closer to her, and began to teach her how to get the answer. Once she got it, she smiled happily at Tiffany. “Thanks! Now my assignment is complete.” she said. Tiffany smiled back at her. “No problem. Actually, Chun also helped me with that problem.” Tiffany said. Upon hearing that, the smile on Ella's face began to disappear. “Chun... Chun did?” she asked. She nodded her head. “Yeah. You know, while we were chatting on the phone, I was trying to solve that problem... and I asked Chun for some help. He helped me with it. Isn't he great? He's like the smartest guy I know!” she said. Ella slowly nodded her head in agreement, and looked away from her. “Yeah... he is... smart...” she said softly. “So, why didn't you ask for his help?” Tiffany asked. “Because you were on the phone with him for hours, and he won't answer the goddamn call wait!” she thought. She looked at her again, and tried to smile. “I... I want to figure it all out by myself.” she lied. Tiffany nodded her head. “Chun told me that you always ask help from him when you can't solve your assignments... I find it weird that you didn't ask for his help.” Tiffany said. “I guess, there are times that I have to solve my own problems without anyone's help. I know that he won't always be there for me to save me, right?” Ella said. 
 
Before Tiffany could answer, the school bell rang. Their teacher came in, and Tiffany went back to her seat. “Talk to you later, Ella.” Tiffany said. Ella just nodded her head. She looked down at her notebook once again. Chun could have helped him, but instead, he chose to help someone else. And to think that she is his best friend.
 
--
 
The classes ended once again, and as she reached the school gate, she saw Tiffany and Chun together. Chun took Tiffany's bag, and then smiled at her. She was about to approach them, when he saw them leave the school premises. She felt a tug inside her heart as the two leaves without her. She didn't know where they are going, and she have no plans of following them for she know it would only hurt more. She ran out of the gate, and from afar, she could see them slowly fading before her. Once again, she had this urge to cry. Chun never leaves without her, and this is the first time that he have done that. She lowered her head, and was about to cry, when she felt someone call her.
 
“Hey dork!”
 
She looked back, and saw Lego behind her. As usual, he had this goofy smile on his face that she hates. “What?!” she snapped at him. “Where's your best friend?” Lego asked. Ella folded her arms, and glared at him. “Do I look like Chun's baby sitter to you?” she snapped again. Lego just laughed as he walked up to him. “More of a bodyguard. You never left his side, that's why.” Lego said. Ella turned her back on him, but Lego walked up in front of her, which made her even more annoyed. “What?!” she asked in an angry tone. Lego let out a smirk at her. He took a pen from his pocket, and then took the notebook she was holding.
 
“Hey!” Ella shouted at him. Lego turned his back on her, and wrote something on her notebook. “Look, that is my math notebook. Give it back, will you? Don't scribble nonsense things there just to annoy me!” Ella shouted at him. Lego turned to face her, and smiled. He opened the back of her notebook, and showed it to her. Ella was surprised to see his phone number written on it, and a phrase saying. “For all your math assignment needs, call Lego Li.” Ella gave him a puzzled look. “I can also solve math problems, you know. If you can't reach your ever beloved best friend, you can call me. For a price, of course.” he said. Before Ella could react, Lego began to walk away from her. “See yah, dork!” he shouted at her. He waved his hand at her. Ella looked down on her notebook where he have written his number, and then let out a smile. “Dork.” she said to herself.