Something New

Say That You Love Me

After he left, I realized that I should learn to let you go

Loving you had brought me so much pain

I thought I could live with just that

But I know I'm being unfair to myself

So this time, I promised myself that I will move forward

And forget my feelings for you...

 

--

 

"Oh, what are you doing here?" Ella asked when she saw Chun outside her house. It was their first day at the university. "We're supposed to go together at the uni, right?" he asked. Ella looked at her watch, then looked back at him. "Aren't you supposed to drive Tiffany to her school?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. "Then what are you doing here? You're gonna be late!" she scolded him. Chun gave her a puzzled look. "Aren't you coming with us?" he asked. She shook her head. "I don't want to be the third wheel." she said.

She then turned Chun towards his car, and pushed him gently. "Go and pick up your girlfriend. I'll see you at the uni later." she said. "All right, all right. But promise to save me a seat at the class later." Chun said. Ella smiled, and gave him a thumbs up. Chun got into his car, and before he drove away, he waved at her. Ella could only watch as Chun leaves. She let out a sigh. What she's doing is really hard, but she have to do it. After all, they both agreed to give each other space. It's much better this way, so that she could easily forget him.

--

The moment Ella entered the university's gates, she found herself lostin the crowd of students inside. She suddenly felt culture-shocked upon seeing how many students there are. "College sure is different from high school..." she thought. She took a deep breath, clutched herback pack, and began to walk inside. Some senior students were giving out flyers to the freshmen. Others were making announcements. Others were helping the new students. 

Since she had time left before her first class, she decided to roam first the quadrangle of the university.She had toured the university prior to this day, but she wants to roam the school grounds on her own. There were a lot of booths for the school organizations - all of which are enticing the students to join them. She found herself being amused by the gimmicks of the school orgs. 

"Get out of the way! Get back here!" she heard someone shouting. As she looked back, she saw a small guy, holding a big box,  running towards her direction. He ran past her, almost bumping into her. "Get back here, Matt!" she heard someone shout again. "Give back our goodies, you bastard!" another one shouted. Curious, she looked back at the small guy. "Out of the way!" another guy shouted. As she turned to see who else is running after the guy, a taller guy bumped into her, making her fall flat on the ground with him on top of her. 

Calvin lost his balance when he bumped into Ella. He could clearly see the panic and shock in her big brown eyes with their position. "Are you all right?" he asked as he pulled himself up. Ella was still staring at him as she nodded her head. He gathered all his strength to stand up, then she helped her. "I'm sorry about that, miss. Are you sure you're OK? Do I need to bring you to the clinic?" he asked. Ella shook her head. "I'm OK... I guess." she said. 

"Calvin, come here! Kun Da got Matt!" they heard someone shout. "I'm coming, Shu!" Calvin shouted back. Then, he turned to her again. "I'm sorry again miss." she said. Ella just nodded her head. Then, Calvin ran towards his friends. 

Ella looked at their direction, and watched them as they scolded the guy named Matt. They got the box from him, and carried it back. As they walked past her, Calvin looked at her again and smiled. 

"What happened? Did I miss anything?" she heard someone say. She looked back, and saw Chun. "N-nothing. Just some guys playing around." she said. Chun simply nodded his head. "So, you brought Tiffany to her school?" she asked. "Yeah. I do hope she adjusts well to the new school." Chun said. Ella smiled at him. "I'm sure she will." she assured him. 

 

--

 

Their lastclass for that day was about to end. As they were putting  their things inside their bags, the professor made an announcement. "By the way, after this class, you will meet with your seniors in Architecture department. You will be paired up with the seniors as study buddies." their professor said. Upon hearin that, Chun nudged Ella. "Why do you think we need senior studdy buddies? We can pair up to be study buddies, right?" he asked her. Ella shrugged her shoulder.

"It's been a tradition here at St. Thomas University." they heard someone answered. They looked up, and saw the seniors entering their room. Ella recognized the guy who answered Chun's question. "Also, it would be much better for you to have a senior buddy, since they could help you out with your studies." he added. He stood by the platform,and faced their class. "First of all, welcome to St. Thomas University, freshmen. I'm Calvin Chen, and I'm the representative from the Junior year, as well as one of the officers of Junior Architecture Students' Organization. I hope you'll find your stay here enjoyable." he said in an formal tone. 

Ella kept staring at him as he speaks. She remembered her encounter with him that morning. "It's him..." she thought. He introduced the other senior students with him, and ask all of the freshmen to introduce themselves. When it was Ella's turn to introduce herself, one of the senior students, Kun Da, nudged him. "Isn't that the girl from a while go? She's pretty. You look good together." he whispered to him. Calvin gave him a stern look. "Shut up." he whispered back. 


"Seems like we have a lot of freshmen this year. Unfortunately, we only have a few senior students who volunteered for the buddy system, and just the 15 of us assigned to this class. So what we will do now is that we will pick from these boxes the name of the studetns and the seniors that will be assigned to them. For those that won't be called, you don't have to worry as you can still approach us if you need any help." Calvin said. They put the box on the table, and drew the name of the seniors on the box from his left, and the name of the freshman that will be partnered to them on the box on the right. 

As they were calling out the names, Chun nudged Ella again. "Do you think I'll get to be partnered with anyone of them? That Calvin guy seems smart and cool." Chun said. "For sure you will. Who knows, you might get him as your partner." Ella answered. Chun smiled. "Don't worry, in case your name wasn't called, I'll ask my senior to help you out." Chun promised her. 

"OK, so the last senior is Calvin." Kun Da announced. He then picked the name of the freshmen on the box. "And Calvin's buddy will be... Ella Chen." Kun Da announed. Ella was surprised at that announcement, and so is Calvin. "You're lucky today, Ella." Chun said. "So let's all meet up. Again, for those who wasn't called, you may not have a studdy buddy, but you can approach us for any help." Calvin said. Before she stood up from her seat, Ella turned to Chun. "Hey, maybe I can ask senior if he can be your buddy too." Ella said. Chun shook her head. "Nah, I'm good Ella. Just goand meet him. I'll be fine." Chun said. "Of course, you'll survive. You're the smart cookie." Ella said with a wink. 

She then approached Calvin. "Hi, senior." she said shyly. Calvin smiled at her. "Hello, Ella." he said, extending her hand. "Glad to finally meet you." Ella took his hand, and shook it. "Glad to meet you too, senior." she said with a smile

--

Chun picked up Tiffany at her school that afternoon. The moment she got into his car, she gave him a kiss. "Weird, I thought Ella will be with us?" she asked. "Well, she wanted to stay at the school. I think her senior wanted to show her something." Chun said. "Oh... will she be going home alone?" she asked. Chun shrugged his shoulder. 

He started his car, and began to drive. "So how was the first day of school? Anything interesting that happened?" Chun asked. Tiffany let out a pout. "It was boring. I didn't know why daddy forced me to go to an all-girls' college again. How about you?'" she asked. "Not with me, but with Ella. She got to have a senior study buddy. Lucky for her. I heard the guy was a campus hearthrob." he answered. "Why aren't you study buddies with Ella?" Tiffany askd. "It's supposed to be a tradition at the university."

"Well, Ella sure is lucky to have a senior buddy."

"Yeah, but you know I sense something bad with that guy. He looks like a heartbreaker."

"Wait, the guy is just Ella's study buddy, not potential boyfriend."

"What if he hit on her?"

"I thought you said you won't be interfering with her decisions? Besides, you should only have your full attention on me."

Tiffany faced him,and gave him a cutesy face. Chun smiled at her. "All right. From now on, you have my full attention." Chun said. Tiffany smiled at him, and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

--

Calvin looked at the paper with Ella's writing on it. They were at the library that afternoon, discussing on the areas that Ella will need help. "So you're good at everything else, except math?" he asked. Ella nodded her head. "I'm good if the teacher gives simple examples. But when it becomes complex, my head begins to hurt." she replied. Calvin put the paper down, and turned to her. "I had the same problem back when I was a freshman. But you know, I think I remember my senior giving me this notebook with simple instructions and what-nots. If you don't mind, we can go to our org's room so that we can get it." Calvin suggested. Ella nodded her head. 

They went to the org's room. While Calvin was searching for the notes he will give to Ella, Ella was simply looking around the room. She noticed a guitar on the floor. "You guys play guitar?" Ella asked. "Well, yes. Actually, I'm the only one playing the guitar here." 

"That's nice. I also play guitar."

Calvin looked at her and smiled. "Really?" he asked. Ella nodded her head. "I'm part of the glee club back in high school. I'm the one designated to play the guitar most of the time." she said. Calvin finally found the notes, and handed it to her. "Thanks for the notes, senior." she said. "No problem. Maybe we could jam one day. We can borrow another guitar from the music club." 

"That sounds like a plan."

"And maybe you can join the music club."

"Don't tell me you're also a member of the music club?"

"I'm a member, and the leader of a band."

Ella smiled at him. "Senior sure is everywhere. I bet you're popular with girls." she commented. "I just have a few friends here and there. I don't think I'm that popular." Calvin said. Then he looked at his watch. "Anyway it's getting late. Are you going home alone?" he asked. Ella nodded her head. "My best friend just left to pick up his girlfriend, so I have no choice." 

"Your best friend, is that the guy sitting right next to you in the class?"

"The one and only. He's name is Chun."

"Well, if I were your best friend, I won't leave you here in school all alone."

"You missed the part about his girlfriend."

"Even if I have a girlfriend."

Ella let out a laugh. "Hey, why don't I walk you home?" he asked. Ella shook her head. "Don't worry about me, senior. Besides, it might be out of your way." she said. Calvin shook his head in disagreement. "I don't think so. Where do you live?" he asked. "Green Forest subdivision. How about you?" she asked. "Hillside village. Just near your area, right? So, can I walk you home?" Calvin said. Ella simply smiled. "Well, all right. If you insist, senior. You can walk me home."