Last Dance

Say That You Love Me

 

I kept on pushing you away
But when I needed to be saved 
You were there...
Why do you have to there for me
To witness my fall?

--

He stepped out of the cafe. His eyes searched for her small figure amidst the bustling street. His heart grew worried with each second he have not seen her. And at the corner of his eyes, he found her. He finally saw her only to have his heart broken by that scene – she, in the arms of the guy she secretly loves. 

His could hear his heart finally breaking upon that realization that dawned him. Sadly, she could never love him. Chun have taken her heart away, without him even knowing it. He could never be the one that could make Ella forget her feelings for  her best friend. Though he tried his best, it will always be him that she will love. No matter how much he tried, all his efforts had gone down the drain. Ella could never love him the way that she loves Chun.

Defeated, he turned his back and walked away. There is no other thing to do but to let go...

--

Ella pushed Chun away from him, which surprised him. “Ella...” Chun said. “Stop... just stop...” she said. She looked up at him, trying to fight the urge to breakdown in front of him. “Stop being nice to me... just stop... Can't you see I'm pushing you away?” she wanted to say. Chun stared at her for a long time. “Why do you keep on pushing me away? Ella, you're my best friend... and I care about you...” he said. “You have to know when to care and when to leave me alone. At this moment, I want you to leave me alone, all right?” she snapped at him. “But why? Make me understand why?! I feel that we're drifting apart... and you know what Ella... it hurts me! Why can't I be with my best friend?” he asked in frustration. 

Ella turned around to face him. “Because...” she paused and stared at him for a while. “People grow up, Chun. People outgrow each other. We can't be... best friends forever. I... I have a life to live, and you do too...” she said. Chun lowered his head as she speaks. “What's this? You're ending our friendship?” he asked in a low voice. “We need space, Chun. You've got Tiffany, I've got Lego. Life doesn't have to revolve on us. Just stop... being too close to me. I felt I'm being suffocated because of what you're doing... and there's a lot of things I want to do without you beside me.” she said. 

He lifted up his face, and she could see the hurt expression on his face. “I understand... I perfectly understand.” he said. “From now on, I'll step back from your life... if it's what will make you happy...” With that, Chun turned his back on her and started to walk away. Ella could only watch Chun as he leaves. She bit her lips as the tear started to fall from her eyes. “I'm sorry...” she whispered. “I'm sorry for hurting you, Chun... believe me... this is for the best. It would be the best for you... If I continue being your friend, you will only hurt me, and I will just keep on pushing you away... I'm sorry...” she whispered. 

She walked to the opposite direction, her mind still with that last conversation she had with Chun. She was too distracted with her thoughts that she did not notice that she already bumped into the guy in front of her. The guy turned around, and Ella just looked up at him. “I'm sorry...” she said gloomily. Calvin stared at her sad face, and he just watched her as she continued to walk. He felt a tug in his heart upon seeing her sadness in her eyes. His eyes followed her as she slowly disappeared from his sight.

--

The following week.

As Ella walked towards the school gate, she saw Lego waiting for her. She smiled to herself as she walked towards him. “Lego...” she called. Lego looked up at her, and smiled. “I'm glad you finally came. I've been waiting for you.” he said. She just let out a laugh. Then, he held her had, and gazed into her eyes. “Ella... starting today, let's make happy memories, all right?” he said. She gave him a puzzled look. “Why?” she asked. “I just want to have happy memories of us together. I want to remember you smiling at me always. I want something that I could remember for the rest of my life...” he said. He reached for her face, and caressed her cheek. “Because seeing you smile would make me feel that it's all worth it... leaving you would be all worth it... as long as I make you happy even for a while” he thought.

“Aiyo! Don't be sentimental! Of course, I want to have happy memories with you as well. I want to be with you.” she said. “Well then, shall we start now?” he asked. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. He held her hand, and together, they walked to their destination. 

First, Lego bought Ella her favorite ice cream. Then, they went to the arcade to play. Most of the time, Lego was letting Ella win in the game. He love seeing the look on her face whenever she wins over him. Next, they went to the photo booth, and made some wacky poses. After they got the photos, Lego immediately took one of the copies. “Let me keep this one… so that I could always remember you.” He said with a sad smile. “You will remember me. Ella the great is not that easily forgotten.” She said. Lego just laughed at what she said. Then, he pulled her to hug, which surprised her. “Ella,” he said in a low voice. “I want you to remember that wherever life takes you, you’ll always have my heart…” Ella let out a smile as she hugged him. “We’ll be together.” She said. “We’ll go to college together. We’ll graduate together. Who knows, we might end up together…”

Lego wanted to cry, but he couldn’t let Ella find out the reason behind his loneliness. Just when Ella is about to give him a full chance, he have to leave her to chase his dreams. He closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. “I hope one day we’ll end up together…” he said. He looked at her, and gave her a smile. “Come on, I’ll take you home.” He said. Ella smiled and nodded his head. 

--

“You still have not told her, right?” 

Lego looked back, and saw Chun standing by their gate. He took Ella home that afternoon after their date, and he wasn’t expecting to see Chun. “I will tell her at the right time.” He said. As he was about to make a move, Chun pulled him to face him. “Don’t play with her.” He said, gritting his teeth. Lego could only sigh. “Who said I’m playing with her?” 
“Then why don’t you tell her now?!”
“There’s a right time and place for that!”
“Then tell me, when? When are you planning to tell her that you’ll leave? When are you going to tell her that you to can’t be together after high school? She’s expecting a lot from you, Lego. She’s expecting that you’ll be with her. She pushed me away because of you!”

Lego pushed Chun. “She pushed you away because you made her do that! Don’t blame me for the things I didn’t do.” He said. Chun pushed Lego, making him fall on the ground. “It’s because of you that my best friend doesn’t want me anymore!” Chun shouted angrily at him. Lego stood up, and then punched Chun in the face. Chun got back at him, and hit him as well. That was the scene that Ella saw the moment she came out of their house. 

“Chun! Lego!” she said as she ran towards the two. She ran to Lego’s side, and tried to pull him away from Chun. “What do you think you’re doing to my boyfriend, Chun?!” she shouted angrily as she glared at her best friend. Chun just smirked as he looked at Lego. “Why don’t you tell your girlfriend” he told him. “I’m the one asking you, Wu Chun!” she said. “Tell her!” Chun shouted at Lego. Lego wiped the blood from his face, and looked at Ella. “Ella… I’m sorry…” he said. This made Ella confused. “We can’t be together. We can’t go to college together…” Lego said. “What do you mean?” she asked in a puzzled tone. “I’m going to study abroad. I’m leaving before graduation.” 

She felt as if heaven fell down on her upon hearing what he said. “And you’re not planning to tell me?” she asked. “Are you just planning to leave me like that?!” she shouted. Lego could only lower his head. “I’m sorry… I… I can’t find the right time to tell you…” Lego said. “What’s the use? You’ll leave me anyway!” she shouted at him again. Then she turned her back on him, and ran inside the house. 

She locked herself inside her room and cried. Then, she heard a knock on the door. “Ella…” she heard. She recognized that voice to be Chun’s. “Leave me alone!” she shouted at him. Chun knocked again. “I said leave me alone!” 
“I can’t leave you alone, Ella…”
Chun leaned by the door as he speaks. “I can’t leave you when you’re like that. You need me…” he said. “I don’t need anyone right now, so leave me alone!” Ella shouted. Chun closed his eyes, and let a tear fall down his eyes. What Ella just said somehow have hurt him. 

 “You used to need me…” Chun said in a sad tone. “I used to make you smile… I thought that maybe this time, this last time I can be your best friend. I know I’m the reason why you’re hurting right now, but I had to do it… for you… because you deserve to know the truth.” He said. “Please Chun… just leave me alone… please…” 

Chun closed his eyes and lowered his head, as he listened to her muffled sobs. With a heavy heart, the only thing he could do was leave her by herself. 

 

--

The day of the dance came. Ella decided not to go, since she had been ignoring Chun and Lego the past few days. "You know, graduation ball is a memorable event. You're missing half of your life by skipping it." Joe told her younger sister. Ella sighed and sulked on her bed. "Then, just let me miss half of my life. What's the use anyway?"

"If you do have problems with your boyfriend, or with Chun, you should talk it over with them. Don't just ignore them. Anyway, isn't Lego going to leave soon? Don't you want him to go without a heavy heart?"  

Ella looked at her sister. "Maybe tonight is the last time you guys would be able to see each other. Don't let this moment pass you by, or you might regret it." Joe added. 

Ella contemplated on what her sister said, and she realized she was right. 

--

"Ella! I thought you're not going?"

Genie said the moment she saw Ella enter the ballroom, where their Senior dance is being held. "I realized I shouldn't miss this out, right?" she said. Genie nodded her head. "By the way, your boyfriend is here..." Genie said. Her eyes searched the ballroom for Lego, but she couldn't find him. "Where is he?" she asked. Genie smiled, and pointed behind her. 

As she turned around, she saw Lego walking towards her. He looked dashing in his tuxedo. He let out a boyish smile at her as he approached her. "Joe told me she convinced you to go to this dance, so I took a chance to find you here..." he said. 

As he held her hand, the music began to changed into a a mellow one. Everyone on the dancefloor is now slow dancing. "How do you always find your way to me?" she asked. Lego carressed her cheek, and looked lovingly into her eyes. "Because I love you, that's why."

He smiled sadly at her. "May I have this last dance with you?" he asked. Ella was trying to hold back her tears. "Yes." she replied. Lego lead her on the dancefloor. He put her hands around her waist, as she clinged on to him. There was silence between them as they slow danced. "I wish you don't have to leave." Ella said. This time, she couldn't hold back her tears. "Believe me, Ella, leaving you is the hardest thing that I have to do. If I could stay with you forever, I would." 

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry if I failed as your girlfriend. I'm sorry that I still couldn't forget him. I'm sorry for using you..."

Lego shook his head. "You gave me a chance. That's more than enough for me." 

Ella hugged him tight. Lego did the same, wishing he don't have to let her go that night. "Thank you for everything, Lego. I will never ever forget you." she whispered to him. "Always remeber that I love you, Ella, I'll always will." he said. As the music comes to an end, he kissed her lips for the very last time.

--

Ella found herself by the swing after Lego dropped her off from the dance that night. She was deep in her thoughts when she heard a voice behind her. "Why are you alone here?" 

She looked back, and saw Chun walking up to her. She let out a smile at him. "Hey, you're here." she said. Chun nodded his head, and sat by the swing beside her. "I saw you with Lego a while ago. You guys talked it over?" Chun asked. Ella nodded her head. "A long distance relationship would be hard for both of us, so we decided to break up."

Chun looked worriedly at her. "Are you all right?" he asked in a concerned tone. Ella simply smiled at him. "I'm gonna survive, I guess..." she said. "We both needed this time to grow up. If we're meant to be together, fate will find a way for us to be together."

He let out a sigh of relief. After that, there was silence between them. 

"I'm sorry." he broke the silence between them. "I'm sorry for interfering too much with your life. I'm sorry if you feel I'm being overprotective of you. I'm sorry for all the selfish thing I've done. You're right, we should grow up and give each other space. I'm sorry for being too selfish, it's just that I'm used to... you know...just us..."

"I know, Chun. Honestly, when Tiffany came into your life, I've had exactly the same thought.But then I realized,I should let you go because, because I love you..."

Chun looked at her. Ella was taken aback by what she said. "As... as my b-best friend. Yes, I love you as my best friend." she stuttered. "S-soometimes, there are things that we can only do when we're alone. Not all the time, we can be together." she added. "But that doesn't mean that we can't be best friends anymore, right?" Chun said. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. "Remember your promise? We'll bebest friends till we're old and wrinkly." Ella said. Chun nodded her head. 

She knew it was a close one about letting him know what she truly feels. From that moment, she swore to herself never to let him know what she truly feels for him. 

She then felt Chun hed her hand. The two of them looked at each other. "Ella..." he said with a smile. "Thank you for coming back into my life."