The Wedding

Say That You Love Me

Wedding Day. 

Ella gazed at herself in the mirror. She can't believe that the day has come, and she will finally be together with the man she loves. She can't believe how beautiful she looked that day. She hope Calvin will be surprised when he finally sees her. 

"Ella..."  

From her mirror, she could see Chun by the door. She looked back, and smiled at him. "Come in." she said. "Joe and your mom is wondering if you're ready to go?" he asked. "Please give me 5 minutes more alone." she asked him. Then, she looked at herself again in the mirror. 

"Are you nervous?" he asked. Ella giggled as she nodded her head. "You're not having cold feet are you? You're not going to change your mind about Calvin. Because if you do, I can arrange a getaway car for you." Chun said. Ella let out a laugh. "I'm not going to change my mind. I just want to savor the last few moment's I'm going to  be single. Because once I walk down the aisle, I'm going to be Mrs. Calvin Chen." she said. 

Chun stared at her reflection. Today, she was especially beautiful. She had that glow that every bride has on their wedding day, And her smile was a verry happy one. He's happy for her. He's happy that she found the man that loves her more that she loves him, someone who knows how to treasure her, someone who will take care of her for the rest of her life. 

But at the same time, he's sad for himself. Today, he will finally lose the woman he loves. Although it pains to see her and give her away, her happiness matters the most for him. Maybe that happiness could be enough for him  to start letting her go. 

"Calvin sure is a lucky guy to have you." he said. "I want to think I'm the luckier one, Chun. Because he loved me."

She looked at the mirror, and her eyes stared into Chun's eyes. She remembered once again the times she was broken hearted because of him. Chun was her first love. Seeing him with another girl pained her the most. When Calvin came into her life, he was the one who looked through her, and took care of her while Chun was taking her for granted. She knew she won't be able to make it through if she had not met him.

"Because he saved me." Ella continued with a smile. She could feel a tear roll down her cheek. She remember the time Chun stood her up on one of their dates, and Calvin was there to shield her from the rain and take her home. It was Calvin's encouraging words that she finally had the courage to let Chun go. Calvin was the one who always finds her when she wants to hide from the world. Yes, Calvin saved him from her broken heart. And when she was given another chance to love, she chose to be with him. 

Chun tried to hide the sadness he feels by smiling at her. What he did in the past just pushed Ella further away from him, and the moment he realized how he felt for her, it's too late. And today, he will give away the woman he loves to the man that truly deserves her. 

"But Calvin still is lucky. He got himself a wonderful woman who loves him so much." Chun said. 

Ella stood up from her seat, and walked towards him. "I'm ready now. Let's go? My groom must be waiting for me." she said. Chun took her hand, and held it tight. "Let's go." he said. 

--

The soft music filled the garden. One by one, the entourage walked down the aisle, with Calvin first in line. After a while, he reached at the altar, and from there, he waited for his bride. With every second, he felt nervous and excited. He just can't wait to be married to the love of his life. 

The music shifted to their song. As Pets' filled the place with her angelic voice, he saw his bride by the entrance. That moment he saw her, he was mesmerized. He remembered the very first time he saw her at the university chaper, how she was crying, and how he told himself that when he had a chance, he will not make her cry like that. He remembered confessing to her that night during the fireworks display, and how beautiful she looked against the fireworks in the night sky. 

But she is more beautiful today as his bride. 

Behind the sheer veil, he could see her smiling at him. Before he knew it, tears rolled down his cheeks as he smiled. He can't believe how lucky he is to be chosen by Ella, the only girl he loves. 

The moment Ella reached his groom, he could see how  he was crying. Seeing him smiling and crying at the same time made her tear as well. "Hey..." she whispered as she wiped his tear. "I'm sorry for being a mess. I can't help but cry this day." he told her. Ella couldn't help but laugh at him. 

Chun looked at Calvin, and smiled at him. Reluctantly, he let go of Ella's hand, and gave it to Calvin. "She's all yours now. Take care of her, all right?" he said.Calvin smiled at him, and nodded his head. "I will." Calvin assured him. He looked at Ella one last time before retreating to his seat. Seeing him smile made his heart flutter, but seeing him look only at Calvin made his heart break as well. The moment Ella took Calvin's hand and they both faced the priest, Chun went back to his designated seat. 

Chun could only watch the ceremony and see the girl he loves finally have her happiness. And as the priest announced them as man and wife, he tried to let out a smile and cheer for them, even knew deep in his heart, he felt like he was dying. 

--

It was the wedding reception. 

Chun stood up from his seat, and made a clinking sound on his wine glass to get everyone's attention. He took a deep breath as he was about to make a speech. "Today, we are celebrating the love between two people. Calvin and Ella." he began as he looked at the newly wed. "I have known Ella all my life. We gre up together. We were inseparable since we were kids. Sometimes, I wonder, will she ever get herself a boyfriend if she's always sticking around me?" he said. This made everyoe laugh.

"But she did. She found Calvin. Or, should I say, Calvin found her..." he said. He eyed Ella, and let out a smile. "All I pray for Ella is to find the love that she truly deserves. I prayed that Ella find the man that could love her wholly. And I'm glad that man is Calvin." he said. Then, he raised his wine glass to them. The rest of the guests did the same thing. 

"To Ella and Calvin, may your love last for a lifetime. I know, you two love each other so much. There's no doubt about it. Calvin, I hope you'll always take care of Ella. I know she could be a handful at times, but I know you can handle her." Calvin said. He saw him let out a laugh. "And to Ella..." he said as he looked at her with sadness in his eyes. "This is your happiness, and I'm happy to be part of it. Remember our promise that summer ten years ago? I'll always be here for you, no matter what. I will, and forever be, your best friend." he said. 

Everyone applauded as he finished his speech. He remained standing as he watched Calvin and Ella shared a kiss. "I guess this is it... the end of my love story with you..." he thought as he clapped his hands.

 

--

 

White roses.

Grassy field.

Cloudy day.

Gentle breeze.

Leaves falling down.


It was a beautiful white wedding for you and him.

I am glad to be part of it. 

But I can't help but think, 

If only I knew back then what I knew now...

If only I had not hesitated, nor questioned everything...

Then, maybe, just maybe, it will not be too late...