Tears Fall

Say That You Love Me

Should I be happy because we're friends?
Or should I cry because I know that's all we'll ever be?
How can I stay by your side forever
When all I want is to be the one who holds your heart?
Will you forgive me if I stay away for a while?
Will you forgive me if I can't truly be happy for you?
Will you forgive me if...
If I would hate you even for a while?

--

“I like you!” he bowed before Tiffany as he held the roses out for her. “Will you go out with me, please?” he added. Tiffany and Ella looked at each other. Ella turned to the guy in front of them, and walked up to her. “Aiyo, stop it, Joe!” she told him. She helped him up, and then took the roses from his hand. “Nice roses, Joe.” she told him. Joe just glared at him. “I hate you.” he muttered at Ella. He looked at Tiffany, and she smiled at him. “I'm sorry, Joe... I... I can't go out with you.” Tiffany said. Joe's face fell at what she said. “Eh?” he asked. “She said she doesn't want to go out with you. So, scram now, will you!” Ella shouted at him. Joe glared at Ella, and then snatched the flowers from her hand. As Joe left, Ella couldn't stop laughing.

“That was the seventh confession this month. Guys never learns.” Ella said as she shook his head. She turned to Tiffany, and saw her sad expression. “It is the seventh... and every time someone comes up to me to confess their feelings... I... I am wishing it would be Chun...” she said. Ella let out a sigh. “Chun is a shy guy, Tiff.” she said. “Does Chun really likes me? Maybe you are wrong... maybe he likes another, and not really me.” Tiffany said. Ella looked at her for a long time, and then she smiled at her. “Chun... likes you.” she said. “If... if he doesn't like you... he... he wouldn't forget that we... had to get the application form to that university he badly wanted to go to. If he doesn't like you, he wouldn't take out all his savings just to buy you that teddy bear. He... he won't waste time waiting for you outside the school gate, under the scorching sun and under the cold droplets of the rain. He likes you. No... he loves you. I have never seen my best friend put so much effort in getting to close to a girl, like what he is doing now with you. Don't ever doubt what I tell you about him... because I know him, I know him all my life. Maybe.... maybe he is just waiting for the right time to let you know what he feels. Maybe he thinks it's too soon... to tell you that he loves you.” she said.

Tiffany looked at Ella for a long time. “Ella...” she whispered. Ella looked up at her, and smiled. “Who knows... the next guy that will confess to you will be Chun. If you want, I'll badger him with it. And... and it's about time. Four months from now, we'll be graduating from high school, and he might not ave his chance to tell you what he fells. Right... I should tell him to make his move soon.” she said. She could hear her own voice faltering, giving away what she truly feels inside. She looked away from Tiffany as she turned her back on her. She knew she is lying not only to herself, but to her friends as well. But she had to hide her feelings from Tiffany and Chun, and pretend that she's OK. “I really hope that Chun will be the next guy that will confess... if not...” Tiffany said.

Ella looked back at her. She saw her shaking his head. “If not, what will you do?” she asked. “I'll have to accept the next guy that will confess to me.” Tiffany said.

--

“Seriously, Chun. When are you going to make your move on Tiffany?” Ella asked. They were by the swing that afternoon. After she accompanied Tiffany earlier, she decided to have a talk with Chun. “I don't know how to tell her that I like her.” Chun said. Ella could only groan. “Come on, look at Joe Cheng. That nerdy guy had the guts to confess to Tiffany a while ago.” Ella said. Chun was surprised at what she said. “Joe Cheng?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “It's the seventh confession this month. Chun... I can't always guard Tiffany from the other guys. You have to make your move soon.” she said. “What if she rejects me? What if she only sees me as a friend? You know that I'm not used to rejection.... especially with girls.” Chun said worriedly. “You wouldn't know if she likes you or not if you won't take the risk. If she doesn't like you, then prove to her that you're worthy to be likeable.” Ella said.

Chun let out a sigh, and then leaned back. “Come on, what is it that you've got to lose? You've got way more advantage than those guys around her. Your with her almost everyday. You were her first guy friend, and you have gotten to know her much better.” she said. “I really don't know, Ella... I think she's comfortable with our friendship, and I don't want to make things awkward just because of my love confession. I think it would be better if we stayed as friends.” he said. Ella folded her arms, and glared at him. “Are you stupid?! Chun, you have the girl you like within your reach. You can easily tell her what you feel for her, and you're choosing to be just friends because you're scared to get out of your comfort zone?”
“You don't understand...”
“I don't understand? I don't understand? I know how it feels like, Chun! I know how it feels to fall in lo-”

She paused, for she was almost about to tell him how she feels for him. “I... I know how you are feeling. You are my best friend, Chun, and don't ever think that I don't understand. I... I just want to help you. I want you to be happy. Because... because you are my friend... and you deserve to be happy and to be loved. Because...because you're a nice guy, and you deserve her love and affection. No one looks better with her than you. You have to realize that.” she said. With that, Chun smiled at her. He stood up, sat beside her and gave her a hug. “You always say the right things to make me feel confident...” he said. He released her, and looked into her eyes. “Sometimes, I think that Tiffany is to good to be true... like a dream. If she becomes my girl, I would be the happiest boy on earth, and I'll everything so that she could be happiest girl I've ever known. But... I'm just the plain old ordinary Wu Chun. How can I make someone as special as her fall for me?” he asked. “Did it ever occur to you that because of who you are, someone might be loving you? That someone have fallen in love with the plain, old, ordinary Wu Chun?” Ella answered. Chun gave her a skeptical look. “Are you saying that because you're my best friend?” he asked. Ella just answered him with a smile.

--

Ella was walking through the park, when she saw Tiffany and another guy talking. She stopped for a while, and watched them. “Tiffany, I really like you a lot... please go out with me.” he guy said. Ella's eyes widened upon hearing that. She remembered that she told her that she will accept the next guy that will confess to her. She looked at Tiffany, and as she was about to say her answer, she ran up to her. “Tiffany!” she shouted. Tiffany looked back at her. “Ella?” she asked. She smiled at her. As soon as she got near her, she held her hand, and pulled her away from the guy. “Come on, the girls are waiting for us.” she said. Tiffany could only give her a confused look as she let her pull her away from the guy.

“Ella?” she asked her as she pulled her away from the guy. “Why?” Ella paused, and looked at her. “You can't possibly accept that guy! What about Chun?” Ella told her. “Chun will not confess to me.” Tiffany said in a matter-of-fact tone. “He will! You just have to wait, Tiffany.”
“I don't think he will...”
“Are you giving up on him? I thought you like him?”
“I thought he liked me too. I'm tired of waiting for him to tell me that he loves me. If he can't tell me, then I'd rather give the other guys a chance.”

Ella stared at her for a long time. “Tiffany...” she whispered. “I can't wait forever for just someone...” Tiffany said. “Sometimes... sometimes... you have to wait for something that you badly wanted before it would be given to you. Sometimes it would take a long time to be given to you. If you can't wait for him, then it means you don't like Chun bad enough.” Ella said. Tiffany realized that Ella is right. But then, she just can't wait for Chun to make the move. If only she isn't shy enough, she would have made her move to him. “I promise you, Tiff... the next guy that will confess his love for you, it will be him. I promise you that.” Ella said. Tiffany stared at her for a long time. Though she had her doubts, she had to trust in Ella's words. She let out a smile, and nodded her head.

--

Ella stood outside of Chun's house the next day. After a long wait, Chun finally came out. “Ella, what are you doing here?” he asked. “Can we walk together to school?” she asked. Chun smiled at her, and nodded his head. He held Ella's hand as they walked to school. On their way to school, Chun noticed that his best friend have been awfully quiet. “What's wrong?” he asked. Ella looked up at him, and smiled. “Nothing.”
“Why are you so silent? You're not always like that when you're around me.”
“Can't I be silent for even a day?”
Chun let out a laugh. “All right. As long as there's no broken bones inside that fat body of yours, and you're not wailing like a little kid, I'll believe that nothing's wrong with you.” he said. Ella nodded her head.

After a while, he heard her let out a sigh. “OK... something is wrong. When you sigh like that, I know something is wrong,.” he said. “Chun...” she began. She paused, and then turned to him. “You said you will always keep your promise to me, right?” she asked. Chun gave her a confused look, but nevertheless, he nodded his head. “Then, you have to promise me one thing. Today. This is the most important promise that you have to keep, because if you broke it, I... I will never ever forgive you.” she said. “You know that I always do... well, except the last time... but what is it? Is t a matter of life and death?” he asked. “No, this is for your happiness...” she thought. Thenn, she nodded her head. “Meet me at the park later after school. You have to promise me that you'll come, no matter what happens. If... if you don't come... then forget that I'm your best friend. There's... there's something that I have to tell you... something...” She looked away from him, avoiding his gaze. “Something that I can't tell you now.” Chun nodded his head. “All right. No matter what happens, I'll come. Count on me, all right?” he said.

--

The school bell have rang, and it's dismissal time.

Chun put all his things inside his bag, then Lego approached him. “Chun, what do you think of this?” he asked. Chun looked up, and saw him holding a bouquet of flowers. He gave him a puzzled look. “What's that for?” he asked. Lego smiled at him. “I'm going to confess to the most beautiful girl I've ever met.” he said. “Wow... I never thought you had the romantic bone. So, who's the unfortunate girl?” he teased. He gathered his bag, and walked out of the classroom with Lego. “I won't tell.”
“Come on... why do you have to keep secrets from me, Lego Li. Tell me who she is.”
“Ask again, and I might tell you.”
“Who is she?”
“Ask again.”

Chun let out a groan, and glared at him. “Tell me who she is if you want.” he said. Lego laughed at him, and then he put his arms around his neck. “I can't tell you exactly what her name is. But... I can give you a clue. She really is very close to you, and she studies at St. Margaret's.” Lego said. Chun scratched his chin as he thought who the girl is. “Close to me, huh... well there's -” Then, it hit him. Lego will probably be confessing to Tiffany. He never thought that he would also like the same girl. “I heard she rejected a lot of guys already... so, I hope she would accept me this time. Wish me luck, OK?” Lego said. He patted his shoulder, then walked away from him.

“Wei, Lego!” Chun shouted. Lego stopped walking, and looked back at him. “I'll go with you.” Chun said. Lego gave him a confused look. “Aren't you supposed to meet your best friend today?” he asked. Chun put his hands on his waist as he glared at him. “You can't possibly -” he said. He lowered his head, and shook his head. As much as he wants to go wth Lego and stop nhis love confession for Tiffany, he promised to meet Ella today at the park after school. And he can' ditch Ella just because of his jealousy with Lego. His friendship with her is much more important than Tiffany.

He let out a sigh of defeat. He looked up at Lego, and gave him a weary smile. “Good luck. I know she will agree to date you. Just be nice to her, all right?” Chun said. Lego nodded his head. “Thanks, Chun.” he said. Then, he ran off from him., leaving the defeated Chun behind.

--

Chun looked at his watch. It's already 5 PM, and Ella have not yet arrived. Somehow, he is getting worried with his best friend. He knew their classes have ended an hour ago, and she's still not here at the park. “Where are you, Ella?” he thought worriedly. He was not only worried, but also anxious as to what she was about to tell him.

“Chun?”

His thoughts were interrupted with that familiar voice. She looked back, and saw Tiffany walking up to him. “T-tiffany? W-what... what are you doing here?” he asked. “Ella told me you'll be here. So, she asked me to come.” Tiffany said. Chun gave her a puzzled look. “Ella? I was supposed to meet her today. She said she had something important to tell me.” he said. “Maybe what she wants to tell you is in this letter.”

Tiffany handed him a folded paper, and Chun immediately opened it. It was a letter from Ella.

Dear Chun,
I know you'll be surprised to find Tiffany here at the park, and not me. I know you are expecting me to come, after what I told you this morning. But then, I realized it would be better if I send Tiffany so that you will know what I want to tell you.

Chun, you are my best friend, and as your best friend, I only want your happiness. And the promise I ask of you is a promise of happiness, not for me, but for you. Forget all your doubts in yourself for a while. Take the risk, and confess your love to her. This is your chance, Chun. A chance like this may never come again. I know the two of you are destined to be together, and I just need to push you a little so that could happen. Promise me that by the end of the day, you will tell her what's inside your heart. I know she likes you as well, but you have to find it out yourself.

Again, this is your only chance. If you don't do anything today, I won't ever help you with her. I've done my part, now do yours.

Ella

Chun smiled as he read the letter. Then, he looked at Tiffany. “What's wrong? Why are you smiling?” she asked. “Oh... nothing. It's just that Ella said something silly in her letter.” he sad. Tiffany smiled, and nodded her head. “T-tiffany...” he called. She looked at him, and waited for him to speak. “Ella said there's something that you want to tell me...” Tiffany said. Chun was surprised at what she said. Guess there's no turning back with his confession.

“I like you, Tiffany.” he said in one go. He looked at her face to see her reaction. “I... I really do...” he said. He could feel his heart beating after saying those words. He doesn't know if it's right to confess to her at this time. He lowered his head, expecting her rejection, and he didn't notice the smile on Tiffany;s lips. “I like you too, Chun.” she said. Chun could not believe what he heard. He looked up, and saw her smiling at him.

As the sun sets down, the two of them stood facing each other with a smile on their face. The day ends, but it was a start of love for the two of them.

--

“So, he believed you?”
A nod.
A laugh.
“Great! If... if he came with you, I will smack him in the head.”
A laugh.
A stare.

She looked away from him. By now, Ella knew that Chun and Tiffany are finally ogether. She knew she should be happy for them, but her heart couldn't help but to break at that thought. She was to blame for her broken hart because she helped them to get together. She wanted to hate herself for being too selfless. But she knew she would hate herself more if Chun will not be happy for her.

He walked up to her, and showed her the bouquet of flowers in his hand. She stared at it, then looked at him. “L-lego?” she said. “I told Chun I will be confessing to the most beautiful girl that I have ever known. At least, I could do that now, right?” he said. Ella was getting confused at what he was saying. “I like you, Ella. I'm not asking you to like me back or to go out with me. But... will you give me a chance to prove to you that I'm worthy of you?” he said.

She stared at the flowers for a while. Then, she looked up at Lego again. “Lego...” she whispered. “Let me take his place for a while. I know... I know you're hurt because of him. Let me try to ease that pain. Let me be his substitute for a while. Will you give me that chance?” he asked. She took a deep breath, and lowered her head. “I...”