Years Later

Say That You Love Me

Chun ran up the stairs. In a few minutes, the fireworks will start. Although he wasn't sure if Ella will come, he's still taking the chance that at the very last minute, she will change her mind and forgive him.

If it wasn't for the traffic jam on his way back to the school after driving Tiffany home, he would have been much earlier. But here he is, trying to beat the time before the fireworks start.

"Please let her be there. Please..." he prayed as he stopped to catch his breath. He looked up, and the door to the rooftop is within his reach. "Just a few more steps." he thought to himself. With all his remaining strength, he walked up the stairs. As he reached for the door, he let out a smile. "Finally, I'm here." he said to himself.

He opened the door, and the first person he saw is Ella. He let out a smile. As he was about to make a step forward, he realized she was not alone - she is with Calvin. Slowly, his smile faded.

"I like you, Ella." he heard Calvin say. He felt his world shattered upon hearing his confession. Then, the fireworks lighted up the sky. He watched as the two looked up at the sky. His eyes were locked on them.

"These fireworks, you can only see their beauty during the night. When you thought no one could see you, I was there watching after you. You don't know how happy you made me, Ella. You're my firework in the night sky."

He was right. When Chun neglected Ella, Calvin has been someone she could depend on. While he was blindly loving someone else, Calvin saw through her, and loved her. Calvin saw something in Ella that he was not able to see before. Calvin fell in love with her, and was sure of his feelings, while he was still confusedand in denial.

"But fireworks last only for a moment..." he heard Ella say. "But your light will keep lingering in my memory."

There was a long silence between them. And as the last firework light up the sky, he heard Ella answer. "Then, I want to continue to be your firework, Calvin." he heard her say.

He turned his back on them, and leaned by the wall. He was expecting this, but he was not ready for it. He never thought heaing her accept his love would hurt this much. Tears began to fall from his eyes. "Ella..." he thought. "I was too late. I'm too late..."

He took a deep breath, and looked through the door again. He saw Calvin kissing her. He felt much weaker upon seeing them together. It was his fault for not realizing his feelings for her. It was his fault that he let her slip into his palm just like that, for neglecting her, for all the diappointments he gave her.

It was his fault that he took her for granted, and now, she finally gave her heart to someone else.

And it's wrong for him to love Ella, while someone else is loving him. He had Tiffany, who loves him so much. Wasn't she his dream girl, and not Ella?

He tried to convince himself with that fact, but he just can't. He felt strong for his best friend, but it's wrong. "Then, maybe..." he said to himself. "It's time I let her go..."

--

Eight Years Later

Chun and Tiffany sat silently inside his car. "So, that's it?" she asked him in an irritated tone. Chun nodded his head. Tiffany looked at him as she took off the seat belt. "Then, goodbye. Tell Ella, congratulations on getting her Master's degree." Tiffany said.

She reached for the door, then she paused for a while. "Chun... I'm sorry..." she told him.

"How many times have I heard that from you, Tiffany?" he told her monotonously. "Each time I caught you with another guy, you say sorry. You say you love me and that you choose to be with me, and I forgive you. Tiffany, for the past eight years, that had been our story."

Tiffany then turned to face him. "Do you even ask yourself why I cheat on you?" she told him. "You were not the Chun I once loved. You changed!"

"Then what changed in me, Tiffany? I give you all the attention you want. I put you on top of my list. I almost failed the licensure exam because you want me to be there for you. I neglected Ella, even my family because of you. Tell me, Tiffany, what else do you want that I can't give you?"

Tiffany lowered her head as she cried. "I've had enough. I'm sorry. I love you, but I can no longer trust you." he said. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "I love you, Chun."

"I wish I could still believe that."

"Let's try to make it work. I promise I'll be good."

"I've heard that before, but you didn't keep your promise."

She pulled him to her, and then kissed her lips. When she realized Chun does not respond to her kiss, she stopped. "Chun..." she cried. "Goodbye, Tiffany." he said coldly.

She cried as she got out of his car. As soon as she's out, Chun started the engine, and drove away from her.

--

"Congratulations!"

Ella was surprised the moment she and Calvin entered the restaurant. In front of her is her closest friends and family, celebrating her graduation from her Master's degree.

She looked at the man beside her, and punched him lightly on his arm. "You trickster!" she told him as she pouted. Calvin just smiled at her. "I know I promised not to do another surprise party, but I can't help it. You're se cute when you're surprised!" he said, pinching her cheek.

Her pout turned into a smile. As she looked into his eyes, she thank God for having him in his life. Accepting his love is the best thing that happened in her life. Calvin loved her more than she can imagine. Everyday with him is like Valentine's day. He never fails to surprise her. He always makes sure to make her happy and make her smile.

"I love you." she told him. Calvin smiled playfully at her, not answering her.  She pouted at him when he did not reply. "Don't you love me anymore?" she asked. He took a deep breath before facing her. "Of course, I do. I love you so much." he said in a serious tone. This made her smile.

"I love you so much, I just don't know if I can make it through the day without you beside me." he said more seriously this time. He looked at the crowd as he let out a nervous laugh. "There's actually a reason why everyone you love is here." he told her. This made Ella confused.

Then, the next thing he did surprised her. He knelt down on one knee, and then took a ring from his pocket. "I love you so much, Ella." he said with tears in his eyes. "I want to be with you forever and a day. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to grow old with you."

Ella gasped at what he did. She knew marriage is inevitable for the two of them, after all, they were already talking about it. She just didn't expect he did it this soon. And she was very happy he did it that night. "Ella Chen, will you continue to be my firework in the sky, and be my wife? Will you marry me?" he asked.

That was the scene Chun saw the moment he entered the restaurant. He looked at Calvin, then at Ella.

Ella felt tears flowing from her eyes. She smiled at him as she nodded her head. She wanted to shout yes, but she was too overwhlemed by her feelings. "Is that a yes?" Calvin asked with a happy smile. "Yes! Yes, I will marry you, Calvin Chen! Yes, yes yes! A thousand times yes!" she finally managed to say.

Their friends and family cheered on them. Calvin stood up, and then nervously put the ring on her finger. Then, held her face as he gazed to her eyes. "I love you, my future wife." he said. "I love you too, my future husband." Ella said.

Chun could only stand and watch as the newly engaged couple kissed. He should be used it by now, but seeing the two of them together still hurts him. Maybe that's why he suddenly became cold with Tiffany. Maybe that's why Tiffany cheated on him. He was too distracted with his feelings for Ella, that he started to neglect her too.

"She's marrying me! I'm so lucky!" Calvin shouted. Everyone just let out a laugh, except for Chun.

--

"Chun, you're here!"

Ella greeted as she walked towards her best friend. "Congratulations." he said with a smile. "How long have you been here? How come I didn't notice you?" she asked. Chun let out a sigh. "I was late. Sorry, I had to drive Tiffany home." he said. Ella nodded. "But why didn't you bring her? I thought Calvin invited the two of you."

Chun let out another sigh. "Let's talk about it some other time, all right? I want you to enjoy your party."  he said.  Ella smiled at him. "Hey, did you catch just what happened tonight?" she said. Then, she showed him her ring. "He proposed, Chun. And I said yes!" she said happily.

"Yeah, I just arrived when I saw the proposal. I'm... I'm happy for you." he said, although he knew it's a lie. "You know, I never thought Calvin and I would come this far."

"I think he loves you much, he just can't let you go."

"I know. And  I'm so lucky to have him. He's... he's everything I've dreamed of and more. It's like he's the one destined for me."

Chun let out a smile. But what Ella didn't see was the sadness inhis eyes. "You know, I have you to thank for." Ella said. Chun gave him a confused look. "Why?"

"Because if you didn't arrive at the rooftop that night, he might not have confessed to me. I made the right decision to accept him. You paved way for the two of us together." she said.

"But, I was there. I was too late when I arrived..." he wanted to say. Just then, Calvin joined them. "How about you and Tiffany? You two have been together for ten years now. When will you propose to her?" Ella asked. Chun let out another sigh. He have to let Ella know what happened to the two o them. "Ella, Tiffany and I... we're -"

"Chun, you're here!"

Calvin interrupted him as he joined Ella. "I'm glad you came." he told him. Chun smiled politely at him. "I won't miss this party for the world." Chun said. "Hey, I was wondering if you could be my best man in our wedding?" Calvin asked him. Ella pouted at Calvin. "He can't! How about Shu, isn't he your closest friend?" Ella asked. "But, Chun is your best friend, my love. Of course, I want him to be my best man." Calvin said. "No. I have other plans for Chun." Ella said with a smile.

Then, Ella looked back at him. Chun was still confused at what she said. "Chun, you know dad died before I even graduated from college, right?" Ella said, Chun nodded his head. "No one would walk me down the aisle, or give my hand to Calvin. We don't have much male relatives that we're close to, anyway."

"How about Joe's husband? Chun asked. Ella smiled and shook his head. "It won't be that special. That's why I want to ask you a favor, Chun." she said. Chun waited for her to speak. "Will you walk me down the aisle, and give me away on my wedding day?"  she asked with a smile.

Chun stared at her for a long time. Then, he let out a smile at her. "Yes." he said. "I'm honored to give you away on your wedding day..."

--

That night, I lost two women in my life.

I lost my first love, the one who I gave all my love to

I let her go because being with her hurts me more with her betrayal

And I know I'm hurting her as well

I can no longer give her the love I used to give her when we started.

And then I lost my best friend.

I lost her to the man who truly deserves her.

I lost the girl I love the most

And I can only pray for her happiness as she marries the man she loves...