A Bridge

Say That You Love Me

They said that if you love someone,
You have to set them free.
If they come back to you,
Then they're yours to keep,
And if not...
Then things are not meant to be...
I am at the point of deciding whether I should let you go or not
Days passes by
And each day that I'm seeing that the smile on your face is not mine...
The more that I feel defeated...

--

It has been a week since they last talked to each other.

The first few days, she was able to cope up with it. Lego has always been there to cheer her up, and help her get through this. But as days passes, she had to admit to herself that she is missing Chun. Lately, she have been seeing her best friend with Tiffany again. She could see him smiling happily whenever he is around her, and that nothing else mattered. It seems like it didn't matter to him that she is purposely avoiding him, and it was hurting her even more.

She felt that because of what she did, the two of them are drifting more apart.

“Penny for your thoughts?” she heard someone say. She looked up, and saw Chun walking up to the swing where she is sitting. “Oh, you're here...” she said faintly. The smile on his face was replaced by a pout. “You seem not to happy to see me, huh?” he asked She let out a smile, and shook her head. Chun sat beside her. There was an awkward silence between them as the swing sways that neither of them were too scared to break.

“So...” Chun finally said. “I noticed you and Lego have been getting closer recently. See? I told you he's a nice guy after all...” he said. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. “He is. He... he always helps me out with my assignments and treats me for an ice cream.” she said. Chun nodded his head and looked away from her. “I see...” he said sadly. “He... he seems to be doing things that I was supposed to do...”
“He is a friend.”
“I'm still your best friend, right?”

As Chun faced her, Ella could see the fear in his eyes. “Was he scared to lose me, in the same way that I am scared that he'll leave me?” she thought. “I'm sorry...” he said, still gazing into her eyes. “I'm sorry for ignoring you. I was too caught up with -”
“You don't have to explain everything to me, Chun. I understand. Tiffany, right?”
Chun nodded his head. She looked away from him. She could feel the tear forming at the corner of her eyes. “You... you like her?” she asked bravely. “I don't like her as much as I liked anyone else, Ella. It's not the right word. I could like any girl... but she... she's special...” he said. She bit her lips as she closed her eyes. “You... you love her?” she asked again. “I'm happiest when I get to see her and talk to her. I love being around her. Her mere presence makes my heart skip a beat. I stutter when I talk to her, to the point of making a fool of myself. I blush when I see her smile my way. And she's always in my dreams. If that's not love, then I don't know what that it...” he said. “When... did you... realize that... you... love her?” she asked. Ella could hear her own voice breaking as she speaks those words. She wished she can take back that question, for she doesn't want to know the answer at all. “I don't know... maybe when I got to know her more. All I know is that when I met her... it's like I was dreaming. Birds are chirping, bells are ringing, and my heart was beating fast.” he said.

Ella managed let out a laugh to hide her pain. “You're so corny!” she said. She turned to face him, and he gazed into her eyes. She wanted to melt under his gaze. Looking into his eyes was breaking her heart. She doesn't know if she could continue pretending to be a friend, when all she wanted was to love him. “I don't know if I stand a chance with her, but I'm more than willing to try. I love her, Ella. Will you help me win her heart?” he asked. “And winning her heart means that I'm going to lose you?” she thought as she stared into his big black orbs. She loves Chun, and he wants him to be happy. If being happy means helping him court Tiffany, if being happy means setting aside her own feelings for him so that he could be with the girl he loves, if being happy means letting him go, then she have to do this. She let out a smile, and nodded her head. “I'll help you. Promise. I'll make sure no one gets in your way when you court her.” she said. With that, Chun smiled excitedly, and pulled her into a hug. “Thank you!” he said happily.

She bit her lips and closed her eyes as he hugged her. This time, the tears couldn't help but fall from her eyes. When Chun pulled away from her, he noticed the tears in her eyes. “What's wrong?” he asked worriedly. Ella looked away from him, and wiped the tear from her eyes. “N-nothing...” she said. “Something is wrong... why are you crying?” he asked. She looked at him again and forced a smile on her lips. “S-something g-got inside my eye.” she lied. Chun held her cheeks to take a closer look at her eye. She looked away from his gaze, and then pulled away from him. “I... I have to go...” she said as he stood up. Chun just nodded his head. He watched her as he stood up and walked towards her house. “I'll catch you later, Ella!” he said.

She walked as fast as she could to get away from him. As she reached her house, she ran up to her room. As she closed the door behind her, the tears that she was trying to hold suddenly fell down her cheeks. She leaned on her down, and slowly slid down on the floor as she cried. Now that she have confirmed what Chun really feels for Tiffany, it was breaking her heart even more. Now, she truly know that the fight for his love is over, for he have made his decision. And there's no way he could go on, to hold on, only to give him up so that he could be happy.

--

“Ella, can I talk to you?” Tiffany said as she approached Ella that morning. Ella looked up at her, and nodded her head. “Sure... what can I do for you?” she asked. “I want to talk to you about Chun..” Tiffany said. “W-what about him?” she asked. Tiffany sat beside her and smile. “I want to ask you something, if you don't mind...” she began. She reached for her hand, and held it. “Ella... I know you and Chun have been best friends for so long, and I wonder... was there a time that you liked him more than a best friend?” she asked. Ella let out a nervous laugh “Liked him more than a friend? No way!” she said. Tiffany just smiled. “Really?” she asked. Ella nodded her head. “Chun is not my ideal boyfriend. I can't like him more than a friend. It's like having a crush on my brother... yuck!” she said, making a disgusted expression on her face. Tiffany laughed at her reaction. “Funny... but I'm happy that you only like him as a friend.” she said.

Ella looked at her, and smile. “Why?” she asked. “I don't know... but since Chun and I are getting a little closer... I think I'm starting to have a little crush on him.” Tiffany said as she blushed. Ella was somewhat surprised at what she said, but she saw this coming. She was hoping that maybe Tiffany will only like Chun as a friend, and nothing more. And now, that little spark of hope in her heart is finally gone. Once again, she let out a nervous laugh to cover up her feelings. “Funny... did you know that Chun likes you too...” she said. She saw Tiffany's face lightened up upon hearing that. “Really?” she asked. Ella nodded her head. “He have been talking about you all the time. He have been too mushy about things lately, and believe me, I've never seen him like that. He only got that weird when he met you...” she said. Tiffany blushed upon hearing that. “Sometimes I feel guilty... because it seems that I'm taking too much of his time from you...” she said. Ella let out a smile and shook her head. “I really don't mind at all. I'm glad that the two of you are getting along well... my two best friends... and... and I would be happy if the two of you end up together someday. I'm always after my friends' happiness...” she said. Tiffany smiled at her as she squeezed her hand. “I'm so glad to have you as my friend, Ella. Thank you for supporting us... but can you not let Chun know about this little confession I made?” she asked. Ella nodded her head. “Of course. After all, he have to work hard to have your heart, right?” she said. Tiffany nodded her head.

--

Morning the next day.

Ella got out of the gate, and was heading to school, when she heard Chun calling her. “Ella, wait up!” he called. Ella stopped walking and waited for him to catch up with him. “Hey, Chun... good morning.” she said. Chun smiled at her as he scratched his head. “Can I ask you a favor, Ella?” he asked. “What is it?” she asked. Chun pulled a small envelope from his pocket, and handed it to her. “Please give this to Tiffany...” he said. He clasped his hands, and gave her puppy eyes. Ella looked at the envelope in his hand. She looked at Chun once again, and then laughed at him. “What?” he asked in a confused tone. “Yuck! Love letter. Eeeww.” Ella said. Chun snatched the letter from her hand, and glared at her. “And I thought you would help me!” he said to her.

Ella snatched back the letter. She fumbled with it, and opened it. As Chun looked at her, he saw her reading his letter. “Hey! Don't read that!” he shouted. He tried to snatch it from her hand, but Ella held the letter up as she read it so that Chun can't get it. She ran away from him so that he couldn't get hold of his letter, but Chun ran after her. “No reading! That's not fair!” Chun shouted. After she have read the content of the letter, she looked at Chun and laughed at him. Chun could only glare angrily at him. “Not funny.” he said as he folded his arms. “If you just wanted to ask her out later, why do you still have to give her a note?”
“Because I'm too shy to ask her out, all right?”

Ella laughed at him again, which annoyed him more. “All right... all right... I'll stop laughing now... and I'll give the letter to Tiffany, all right?” she said. With that, Chun's face lightened up. “Promise?” he said. Ella nodded her head. With that, Chun hugged her tight. “Chun... can't breathe...” she said. He let her go, and smiled at her. “Thank you, Ella! You're the best best friend any guy could have.” he said. She rolled her eyes at him. “You owe me one.” she said. He nodded her head. “Why don't you and Lego join us for snacks?” he said, winking at her. Again, she rolled her eyes. It was Chun's turn to laugh this time. “What? I thought the two of you are getting closer?” he said. She let out a sigh. “Fine! I'll see you later.” she said.

==

The bell rang. As soon as the teacher left the room, Ella turned to Tiffany, and smiled at her. “My best friend wants to give this to you.” she said, handing her the letter. Tiffany excitedly open the letter, and read it. After she finished reading it, she looked at Ella and smiled. “He's asking me out!” she said. Ella nodded her head. “So, are you going with him later?” she asked. Tiffany nodded her head. “I sure will.” Tiffany said with a smile. Ella nodded her head again, and as she turned away from her, the smile on her face slowly faded.

School have ended. Ella and Tiffany rushed to the gate, and saw Chun and Lego waiting for them. Ella looked at Tiffany, and saw her face glow upon seeing Chun. She looked at Chun, and upon seeing Tiffany, his face lightened up just like before. It was breaking her heart to see him like this, for she is wishing that he would be like that when he looks at her. She forced a smile on her face as they walked up to them.

“You guys sure are early.” she commented. “You know what they say. Early bird flocks together.” Lego said. Ella laughed at his joke, but then noticed that the two didn't cracked up. She looked at them, and she saw them staring at each other. “Errr... do you think the two of you should get going?” Ella said. Chun gave her a confused look. “The date, remember?” she said. Chun blushed at what she said. “Aren't you guys going with us?” Tiffany asked. Ella smiled at her as she shook her head. She walked besides Lego, and held his arm. “Lego and I have some other plans, so you two should get going.” she said. Lego gave her a shocked look. “We have plans?!” she asked. She smiled at him while glaring at him, and nudged his side. “Y-yeah... I forgot... we... should go to the university library for some research.” Lego said. “Are you sure you guys didn't want to come?” Chun asked again. “Studies first before dating.” Lego said. Chun said goodbye to the two, and then took Tiffany by the hand. As they leave, Ella was watching them. Chun is being too sweet with Tiffany, and even held her bag, and she was starting to envy her.

“I'm seeing the green eyed monster coming out of you eyes!” Lego teased. Ella could only glare at him. “Shut up.” she hissed at him. “Come on, let's go to the uni. At least, let's try to roam the place, and see if there are already giving out application forms.” Lego said. Ella nodded her head, and then followed Lego.

==

“So, we should come back next week. You better tell Chun about it, all right?” Lego said to Ella. Ella folded her arms as she continued to walk. “Why don't you tell him instead?” she said. Lego sneered at her. “You are jealous. If you don't want Chun to be with Tiffany, why did you leave them alone?” Lego said. Ella didn't answer his question. She just kept her silence. As they reached the school exit, Ella turned to Lego. “Why don't you go ahead, Lego. I want to wander around a little bit.” she said. Lego looked at her worriedly. “Are you sure you don't want me around? I promise not to annoy you.” he said. Ella smiled at him. “I'm sure. It might take me a long time, so you should get going.” she said. He said goodbye to her, and Ella went back inside the university.

She wandered around the uni for a while, until she reached the school chapel. There was some force that was pulling her inside the chapel, so she decided to get in. She looked around it, and was amazed how the stained glass lightened up the whole place. She took a seat at the back, and then stared at the cross in front of her. She felt that all of her heartaches faded when she got inside the chapel, that she was unburdened with all the pain. She fell at peace the moment she entered this place, and that she have forgotten how hurt she was when she saw Tiffany and Chun together.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone strumming the guitar. She looked in front of her, and she saw a guy sitting at the front row.

“I can see you standing in the pouring rain
Waiting for changes to carry you away
I can see the light fall from your eyes
As we get lost in the tears of this goodbye...”

Curious, Ella stood up, and tiptoed her way to him. As she got nearer, the guy stopped playing the guitar, and looked at her. She suddenly panicked when he found out her presence. “Hey!” he said, smiling at her. The only thing she thought that she could do is escape. “Sorry!” she said to him. She turned her back on him, and ran out of the chapel. The guy stood up, and followed her. “Wait!” he shouted. But he was too late, for Ella have already gone the moment he got out.

“Hey, Cal. Band practice in 5.” he heard someone said. The guy looked at his friend and nodded his head. He turned his attention to the direction where Ella ran to, and smiled to himself. “Will I see you again?” he thought.