Waiting For So Long

Say That You Love Me

All my life it's as if I'm waiting for something.

I'm always waiting for the sun to shine after the rain, 

Waiting for the day to turn into night, 

Waiting for something inevitable to happen

But the longest that I've waited for

Is you...

--

 

"Chun! Wait for me!" 

Ella shouted as she ran after Chun. Chun stopped walking. and turned to face her. She could tell by his expression that he's still mad at her. "What do you want?" he asked in annoyed tone. "Hey, are you still mad at me?" she asked. Chun didn't answer her. "Look, I'm sorry about not telling you about the Music Club. I'm sorry I wasn't able to be with you in joining the other clubs." she apologized. Chun let out a sigh. "What can I do? You have already made a deccision, right? All I have to do is respect it."

"But you're mad."

"Because you didn't tell me your plans."

"It wasn't really part of my plan, I swear. I just got invited."

"That's already in the past. Anyway, did you got in?"

Ella smiled and nodded her head. Chun then let out a smile. "That's great. I'm happy for you." he said. "So, you're not mad at me anymore?" she asked. "I can't stay mad at you for a long time, Ella. You're my best friend." he said. 

He then put her arm around her neck. "As long as you're happy with what you're doing, I can't stay mad." he explained. "How about you? Were you able to join a club you really like?" she asked worriedly. Chun shook his head. "I've got a handful of things to make me busy. There's school, there's you, then there's Tiffany." he answered. 

It took her a lot of strength to continue smiling. "Aiyo, you always spend too much time with Tiffany. You don't have much time for me anyway." she joked. Chun smiled at her. "Are you getting jealous of my girlfriend?" he asked. "Of course not! I know how much you're in love with her." she lied. Chun became silent as he thought for a while. "Which reminds me, we haven't really hang out that much lately, huh?" he said. "'Good thing you noticed..." she said under her breath. 

"We see each other at school, but we don't get to hang out since our schedules are full. And after classes, I would rush to Tiffany's school to pick her up. Yeah, we don't even do what we used to do back then. Don't you miss it?" he asked. Ella let out a sigh. "Of course, I miss the things we used to do together, but things are different now, I understand."

"Hey, how about we hang out after classes this Friday. Let's go to the arcade, or to that park, or get ice cream? Or we can try that new restaurant beside the park. What do you think?"

Ella smiled and nodded her head. "I'd love that,  Chun. We can have dinner Friday night at the new restaurant and catch up things." she said. "It's a date then. Don't make other plans for that night, all right?" Chun said. Ella nodded her head. "I won't. I promise."

--

Everyone were busy thhat afternoon at the Music Club's room. Selina, Pets and Ella were helping one of their seniors to find a song she could sing for her audition. Shu and Wes were planning on what to sing at the school program. Calvin, on the otherhand, was simply strumming on his guitar. From time to time, he would throw a glance at Ella.

Matt, Shu and Wes noticed Calvin's action. "Wei, Calvin... do you know that if you stare someone for a long time, they'll melt?" Matt said. Calvin just glared at him, while Shu and Wes laughed. "Seriously, you've been looking at Ella for a long time." Shu said. "I'm just glad she was able to get in this club, and that she fits in." Calvin said. "She's a nice girl, of course everyone will like her." Wes commented. "Just go on with what you're doing, and leave me alone." Calvin said. 

He continued to strum his guitar, playing the same tune over and over again. "When will you finish your composition?" Shu suddenly asked. Calvin shrugged his shoulder. "I'm almost there." Calvin said. "Weird, you've been writing that since last year and you were only able to finish it now?" Shu commented. "Senior Shu, it's because senior Calvin already has an inspiration." Matt joked, then looked at Ella. 

Calvin glared at him again. "Why don't you go and pester someone, Matt, before I strangle you." Calvin threatened him. The other two simply laugh. "Why don't we buy everyone some snacks, Matt. I'll treat you. Let's go." Wes said as he stood up and drag Matt out of the room. 

"Tell me, Calvin..." Shu started the moment he was left alone with him. "Was she the girl you saw at the chapel last year?" Calvin nodded her head. "I recognized her that time I bumped into her." Calvin answered as he looked at Ella. "Well, that's what you call fate. You finally found your muse." Shu said. "You know, the moment I saw first saw her, she looked lost and hurt. I don't know why, but that time I saw her, she made me want to compose this song. I was hoping that maybe with this, I could make her feel at ease."

"And now?"

Calvin looked at Shu. "I just want to look after her and take care of her." Calvin said without hesitation. He then let out a nervous laugh. "I'm going crazy, I know. I don't even know what's going on with me. I'm happy when I see her. I'm happier when I'm with her." he added. Even though the answer is obvious, he dismissed that thought. All that matters to him right now is that he could be close to Ella. 

--

Ella was getting ready to go home, when Calvin approached him. "Hey, we'll start practicing on Friday afternoon until night. Would that be all right?" Calvin asked her. "Uhm, senior, about that..."

She made an awkward smile. "I do have plans on Friday night." she said. "Oh, that's too bad..." Calvin said. Ella nodded her head. "Do you mind me asking what's your plan on Friday night? Is it that important?" he asked. "Well, I promised someone special I'll have dinner with him." she said happily. Calvin felt his heart become heavy upon hearing that. "Oh..."

"And it's the only time he's free so I want to grab this chance. I hope you understand, senior."

"O-of course, I understand, Ella. I'll just let the guys know."

"Thank you, senior!"

Calvin forced a smile on his lips. "No problem. So, is this special someone going to walk you home?" he asked. Ella shook her head. "He's quite busy right now." she answered. "Then, would it be OK if I walk you home again?" 

Ella let out a laugh. "Senior! We always go home together, of course I won't mind."

--

Friday night. 

Chun was getting ready for his date with Ella. As he was fixing his hair, his mobile phone rang. "Hello?" he answered. "Chun? This is Sandrinne." 

"You're Tiffany's classmate,right?"

"Yeah. Could you come over here at school right now?"

"I'm sorry but I have plans today. I already told Tiffany -"

"Tiffany is injured from our cheerleading practice. We can't contact anyone from her house, and you're our last resort."

He felt as if someone poured cold water on his back upon hearing that. "She fell bad on the floor so hard. We're here at the hospital now. Can you come?" Sandrinne asked. 

Chun looked at his watch. He still have an hour before his dinner date with Ella. "All right, I'll go. Which hospital did you send Tiffany?" he asked. 

As soon as the call ended, he sent a text message to Ella and rushed to the hospital to see Tiffany. 

Meanwhile, Ella arrived at the restaurant. She thought she was already late, as she had to go to the bakery to buy his favorite cake. She took her phone, and saw a message from Chun. She read his message to her, saying to wait for him as he had to do something important. Ella then decided to wait for him outside the restaurant. 

An hour has past, and Chun still hasn't come. She then decided to call him, but his phone was just ringing. She walked back and forth as she waits for him. Another hour has passed, and Chun didn't show up. She kept on calling his phone but it just directs her to his voice mail. As customers arrive at the restaurant, she was hoping that one of them would be Chun. Another hour, and it started to rain. The onlything she could hear as she called Chun's number is a voice telling her that his phone is out of reach. 

She finally realized that Chun will not come. He stood her up. She thought that maybe this time, things have changed, and that Chun will keep his promise, but sadly, there seems to be more important things than her. 

She was on the verge of crying as she sat by the stairs of the restaurant's porch. She burried her head on her arms as she tears fall down from her eyes. She could feel the rain almost drenching her, but she was too hurt to even care. Then, she felt the raindrops stopped falling on her, although she could still hear it falling. As she looked up, she saw someone standing in front of her, holding an umbrella over her head. 

It was Calvin. 

"What are you doing here outside? It's raining. Look at you, you're drenched. You're going to get sick." he scolded her. Then, she noticed the redness in her eyes. Her cheeks were wet from crying. "Where is your date? Did he stood you up?" he asked. Ella slowly nodded her head. She cried again after that. Calvin kneeled before her. He held up her chin, and took his hankerchief to wipe the tears on her eyes. 

"Thank you, senior..." she said as she stopped crying. He sat beside her, the put his jacket on her. "How long have you been waiting for him?" he asked. "Three hours..." she answered. "That long?" he asked again. Ella nodded her head. "But it felt as if I'm waiting for him for a long time. It felt like I'm the only one waiting, and that there's something else more important than me.  I feel like waiting for someone that will never come. I feel like I'm the least of his priorites, when he's the top of mine. It seems like he doesn't even care about my feelings, because he always knew I'd understand... I will always understand no matter how lame his excuses are. Waiting for him made me feel so tired. I... I don't want to wait for him anymore... I'm tired of waiting for him to realize that I'm just right here, waiting for his attention... I'm tired of begging for a fraction of his time, for a moment that he will never give me. I'm so damn tired of what he's doing to me. " 

"Then, don't wait for him."

Ella looked up at him. "If you can't be his priority, then don't made him yours. If you're not important for him, then don't make him feel he is important to you. You're a great girl, Ella. You deserve more than you're being treated right now. If you're tired of waiting, then stop. You don't have to push yourself to make him like you. There would be some people out there who's willing to make the same sacrifice that you do, someone who's willing to put you on top of their list. There will always be someone that won't make you wait for so long, and if they do, you'll know it's all worth it." Calvin said. "I wish I could find that kind of person you're telling me about, senior." Ella said. "He'll come into your life, don't worry." 

Ella wiped her eyes and then smiled at Calvin. "Thank you again, senior. I find it weird that you're always around, especially when I need someone to talk to." she said. Calvin smiled at her. "Just think of me as your guardian angel. If you need a should to cry on, I can always lend you mine." he said. Ella nodded her head. 

Calvin looked at his watch, and let out a sigh. "It's getting late, Ella. Your parents might be worried about you now. I'll walk you home, all right?" he said. Ella nodded her head. "I think so too. I don't think he'll ever come." she said. Calvin stood up, and help her up. Then, they left the restaurant.

--

Chun sat beside Tiffany's bed as they waited for the doctor to come. They did some tests to her a while ago to see if her injury is bad, and if she needs to be confined. "Chun...." Tiffany called groggily. "Tiff... how are you feeling?" he asked worriedly. She let out a weary smile. "I'm OK, Baby... but your date with Ella..."

"Don't worry about her. I know she'll understand."

"If you want, I can call her after I get out of the hospital..."

Chun shook his head. "I'll handle Ella. I know she will understand if I explain things." he said. "I'm sorry, Chun... I know you want to spend time with her, then this happened. I'm really sorry..." she apologized. Chun smiled at her, then kissed her on her forehead. "It's more important to me to know that nothing bad ever happened to you." he said.

As soon as the doctor confirmed that she can be discharged, they left the hospital. Chun drove Tiffany home first,and made sure that she feels comfortable. After that, he rushed to the restaurant, hoping Ella is still  waiting for him. As he arrived, he found out that the restaurant is already closed. "..." he muttered tohimself. He knew he made Ella wait for a long time. "She must have gone home..." he thought. He knew Ella is mad at him right now for making her wait for a long time. He should have messaged her and tell her that Tiffany is in the hospital that's why he was so late. As he reached for his phone, he relized that it was off. When he turned it on, he saw a lot of missed calls and text messages from Ella. He decided to go to Ella's house afterwards. 

"Chun, what are you doing here?" It was Joe who opened the door for him. "Joe jie, is Ella there?" he asked. Joe nodded her head. "But I'm sorry,Chun... she's got a fever right now, so you can't talk to her. She's resting now. I'll just tell her you came." Joe said. Chun gave her a confused look. He just saw Ella that morning at school, and she was perfectly fine. "She have a fever?" he asked. 

Joe's face became stern.. "After you made my sister wait in the rain for hours, do you think she won't get sick? It's a good thing her senior saw her and brought her home." she scolded. Chun could only lower his head at her scolding. "I know you have a girlfriend now Chun, but please, don't break any promises to my sister. Didn't you know how sad she is because she thought she'll be able to spend some time with you? If you'd rather be with your girlfriend, then make it clear to Ella, so that she'll stop waiting for you." Joe said. "I'm sorry..." Chun apologized. "Go home, Chun. And good night." With that, the door closed right before Chun. Guiltily, he could only stare at that door for a long time.

--

"Is he gone?"

"I sent him away."

She let out a sad smile at her sister. 

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"For once, I got tired of him."

She lowered her head as another tear fell from her eyes.

"I should listen to you now, Jie..." she said. "This time, I'm going to forget about him...."