His Broken Heart

Say That You Love Me

Ella entered the pantry, and saw Chun sitting all by himself at the table, sipping his coffee. After their graduation, both of them started to work at the design firm that Chun's father owned. Chun was helping to manage the company while Ella was hired as one of the architects.

"Boss..." she called. Chun looked up at her and smiled."I told you not to call me that."

"I can't help it. I work for you, remember?"

"My dad is your boss, not me."

"You're his son. Therefore,you're my boss."

Ella went to the counter and made herself a coffee. "Why are you all alone here by yourself?" she asked. Chun let out a sigh. "I just need to be away from my desk for a while. Work is stressing me out." he said. Ella took her cup, and joined him at the table. "Is the new project stressing you?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. "That, and a lot of other things on my mind." he answered. "Like what? You can tell me." Ella said.

Chun looked at her. "It's personal..."

"Wu Chun, I'm your best friend! You can tell me whatever it is that's bothering you."

"I just don't want to spoil your happiness with my problems, all right? I know you're still feeling high with your recent engagement. I don't want you to worry about me."

Ella let out a sigh. She reached for him, and held his hand. "Your happiness is my happiness. Your sadness is mine as well. Come on, share it with me. At least take something off your mind and heart." she told him. Chun looked at her as she smiled. Seeing her this happy makes it more difficult for him. "Tiffany and I finally broke up..." he bgan.

Ella was surprised at what he said. For the longest time that they were together, they were very happy. She never thought both of them were having problems with their relationship. "But why?" she asked. "You two have been together for ten years. I've always thought you two will get married before me and Calvin. Why did you two broke up? You two seems so happy!" she said.

"The past eight years, we're having problems. We just chose not to address it. Then it has gone to worst. We can no longer deny that it's not working anymore."

"Who broke up with who?"

"I did."

"But why? You love her!"

Chun stared at her. "But not as much as I love you..." he thought. "She was your dream girl, remember? You did everything to have her, including -"

"Including taking you for granted."

Ella paused and looked at him. "I took for granted everything I had because of her. I focused too much on her, that I forgot I was failing major subjects, that my parents got disappointed at me. Remember how I had to retake the licensure exams because I failed? Seeing my dad's disappointed face hurt me, did you know that?"

Chun took a sip from his cup, and then looked away from him. "I choose her above everything else. Whenever she calls, I always rush to her to attend to her needs. Sometimes, she doesn't understand how I needed to do other things as well..." he said. "You love her, that's why you're willing to do everything for her." Ella said. He nodded. "Yes, I do. But you know what hurts the most?" he asked. Ella gave him a confused look. "She cheated on me. Not just once, Ella. She ceated on me on several occassions." he said.

Ella was surprised at his revelation. She never thought Tiffany would do such things. "It could have been my fault. Maybe I wasn't trying so hard during the first time she cheated. But the third? The fourth? the fifth? Why would she even do that to me?" Chun asked. "How... how did you find out when she first cheated?" Ella managed to ask. Chun looked at her, then remembered the first time Tiffany broke his heart.

[Flashback]

Seven years ago.

"Why can't you go with me to the party?" Tiffany pouted as she walked towards Chun's car. "Tiff, you have to understand. Our professor moved the deadline of our project earlier, that's why I can't go with you." Chun tried to explain. Tiffany looked back at him with anger in her face. "Please, Tiffany. Let's not argue with this anymore. I'm sorry." he apologized. "But you promised!"

"Can I, for once, break a promise?"

"But I wanted to go to that party! I want to go with you!"

Usually, when Tiffany whines like this, Chun would give in to her. But this time, he had to say no and be firm, because his grades are at stake. He needed to do this project so that he could pass. "I'm sorry, Tiffany. I really can't. If you want to go to that party, then by all means, go alone. I needed to save my grades." Chun said. He went inside his car, and then left Tiffany alone.

--

Chun was drinking his third cup  of coffee that night, when his phone rang. "Hello, this is Chun." he said as he answered the call. "Chun, this is Sandrinne. Can you go here at the party, Tiffany is so drunk." he heard the girl say on the other line. Chun let out a sigh. "So she still went to that party?" he asked. "She insisted. Please come here, Chun we need you to help her go home." Chun let out a sigh. He closed the book in front of him and stood up from his chair. "All right. I'll be there in 10 minutes." he said.

He drove as fast as he could to get to the bar where the party is being held. By the door, Sandrinne greeted him. "Where is Tiffany?" he asked worriedly. "I don't know." Sandrinne said in a panicked tone. "What do you mean you don't know? She's with you a while ago, right?" he said as he entered the bar. Sandrinne trailed him from behind. "Yes, when I called you, she was with me. But after we ended the call, she was gone." Sandrinne explained.

Chun searched the whole bar for Tiffany. Then, he finally found her. He found Tiffany at one of the tables, making out with another guy. Chun clenched his fist as he walked towards them. Anger filled his mind as he marched towards his girlfriend. "Chun, wait!" Sandrinne called. But that didn't stop him. He pushed the guy away from Tiffan. Then, with all his strength, he punched the surprised guy. He then, pulled Tiffany up from her seat, and dragged her outside the bar.

"Chun! Let me go! You're hurting me!" Tiffany shouted at him. The moment the got out of the bar and reached his car, he let go of her arm, and turned to face her. "Do you even know what you're doing, Tiffany?" he asked her. "I know what I'm doing!"

"You're drunk! You don't know that guy's taking advantage of you!"

"I'm aware, all right!"

Chun could not believe what she was saying. "So, you're saying, you let that guy kiss you?" he asked. "We're just having fun..." she said. "Having fun? What kind of fun is that?"

"If you came here at the party with me, this wouldn't have happened."

"So, it's my fault now? I explained to you why I can't go, but you won't accept my reasons."

Tiffany became silent. "I just want to be with you..." she finallysaid with tears in her eyes. She regret what she have done a while ago. She know kissing another guy have hurt Chun so much. "I'm sorry, Chun..." she said tearfully.Then, she hugged him. He, on the other, just let let all his defenses down, and hugged her. She was just drunk, she thought. Alcohol might have gotten into her, that's why she kissed another guy.

"Just don't do it again, all right?" he said. "I won't. I promise."

--

Three years ago.

Chun stopped his car in front of the office building where Tiffany works. "Hey, arewe good for the movie tonight?" Chun asked her with a smile. Tiffany gave him a confused look. "Tonight?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. Tiffany shook her head. "I'm sorry, Chun. I can't tonight. I have some reports to do, and I need to present them tomorrow." she said. "Well, I understand..." he said in a disappointed tone. Tiffany just smiled at him. "Don't worry. Once this is over, I'll make it up to you, all right?" she said. With that, Chun smiled at her. "All right. Don't go home too late later, all right?" he said. She nodded her head. Before she got out of the car, Tiffany gave him a kiss on the lips.

After she left, Chun have thought of a way to have a little date night with Tiffany. He decided to buy some dinner, and bring it to her that night. They may not be able to watch a movie, but they could have a dinner at her office.

He decided to go with that plan. He bought her favorite dishes, and went up to her office. As he reached her office, she heard some sound, as if someone is in pain. "Tiff?" he called. Worried that something must have happened to his girlfriend, he reached for the door and swung it open.

What he saw inside surprised him, and angered him at the same time. Tiffany was almost lying on her desk, and a guy who he remember as  her colleague was on top of her -. Both Tiffany and the guy were shocked to see him.

Chun was so hurt with that scene, that he dropped what he was holding. He turned his back on them, as we walked outside the office. He could hear Tiffany calling his name, but he doesn't want to deal with her at the moment, as he is deeply hurt by her betrayal.

--

A week ago.

"Tiffany? I'm here." Chun called the moment he opened the door to Tiffany's pad. It was their tenth year anniversary, and he wanted to give her a memorable day. "Tiffany? Are you home?" he called again. He walked up to her room. As he reached for the door, he heard Tiffany giggling. "Maybe she's watching a funny video." he thought. As he was about to open the door, he heard a man's voice talking to his girlfriend.

"You'e so ticklish there..." he said. Then,he heard Tiffany giggle again. "Hey... stop kissing me there." she said.

"I know you love being kissed here."

"Hey!"

"Am I better than that stupid boyfriend of yours?"

"Much better. He could never satisfy me,"

He felt his world shattered. For the nth time, Tiffany cheated on him again. He didn't bother confronting her. He's already tired of it. He composed himself, then he turned around to leave her house.

--

"Why are we stopping here?" Tiffany asked the moment Chun stopped the engine of his car. It was the night of Ella's surprise graduation party. Calvin has invited the two of them, but on their way, he felt that he needed to confront Tiffany. He could no longer pretend that he does not know about her latest tryst.

"We're going to be late to the party, Chun." Tiffany told him. "Are you having an affair with Jiro?" he asked bluntly. Tiffany gave him a confused look. "What are you talking about? Jiro is your friend, right?" she said. "I'm giving you the chance to tell the truth, Tiffany. Are you having an affair with Jiro?" he asked again. "No!" she denied. "What made you think I'm having an affair with him?"

Chun looked at her. "I don't satisfy you the way he does, does he?" he asked. Tiffany was surprised at what he said, that she fell silent. "I'm a stupid boyfriend, am I?" he asked again. "Chun..."

"I know about the affair, because I was there while he was -"

"Chun!"

Tiffany burst into tears."I'm so sorry... I'm sorry..." she said as she cried. "How many times have you cried in front of me after I caught you? Once? Twice? I can't count on my fingers, so tell me... how many times have you cheated on me?" he asked. Tiffany didn't answer him. He looked away from her.  "I'm tired of this , Tiffany. I'm tired of you saying sorry, and pomising not to do it again. I'm tired of forgiving you everytime. I wanted to think that everything's my fault, that's why you're like that, but the more I think about it, I realized I gave you more than everything you wanted." he said. Then he looked again at her. "Let's end it here." he continued. "I want to break up with you."

[End of flashback]

Ella looked into his sad eyes. She never thought Chun was suffering for so long, while she thought everything's going fine between him and Tiffany. "I'm sorry..." she said to him. "I'm sorry, I didn't know. I should have been attentive to you. I should have made sure you're OK. I should have been there for you..." she said. Chun smiled sadly at her, and shook his head. "I didn't want you to know our problems, Ella. Because I know how much you love seeing me and Tiffany together. Besides, I thought it's something I still could fix." he said.

Ella shook her head. "It's not that I don't love seeing you and Tiffany. I only want to see you happy." she said. She reached to her hand, and she held it tight. "You have to promise me, anything that made you sad, or hurts you, you have to tell me. I know I haven't been the good friend that I am for the past ten years, but I want you to know that I'm always here for you." she said. "Just you, listening to my story is just enough." Chun said. Ella let out a smile.

"I know someday, you'll find love again. Someone who will make you happy." she said. "The way Calvin made you happy?" he asked. Ella smiled and nodded his head. Her answer felt like a stab in her heart. "I know you are the only one that can make me happy... but I know that's impossible." he thought. "I think this is cliche, but I'm so lucky to have Calvin. I know he loves me, and only me."

"I know. He's not the type that would cheat on you."

"Then, what would you do if he cheats on me?"

"I'll punch him in the face and make sure he'll never give that sunshine smile of his for the rest of his life."

Ella let out a laugh. Just then, her phone rang. She looked at it, and saw Calvin's name. "Speaking of the handsome devil. Excuse me, I need to answer this and hear his sweet voice." she said as she winked. Chun watched as Ella stood up from her seat. "Hello? Yes, my love...." he heard her say before he disappear outside the door.

He looked at the cup Ella had a while ago. He took it, and held it while he stared at it. Sometimes, he wonder what would have happened is she chose Ella over Tiffany way back then?

--

I didn't want to tell you that I failed as a boyfriend.

I didn't want to tell you because I don't want you to be sad for me

Or feel sorry for me.

You know how I survived all the pain?

When I see you smile...

When I see your eyes sparkle from happiness

Whenever I hear your laugh

Even though that happiness comes from someone else...