Promises To Keep

Say That You Love Me

Do you remember your promise?
That promise you made when we were young?
I held on to that promise...
I believed in you...
I trusted in you...
Only to find out in the end...
That when you broke your promise,
You will also break my heart...

--


He looked at the girl beside him as he pedalled his way to the lakeside. Unconsciously, his hand slipped to her, holding her hand as they went to their haven. Holding hands together, they have reached the lakeside. The two of them dropped their bikes, and ran to their usual spot.

"Aiya! Finally we're here!" the girl said. The boy looked a ther, and let out a smile. She could only give him a confused look. "What?" she asked. "Why do you always love being here?" he asked. She looked at him and grinned, before taking her seat at the grassy ground. "I just love it here." she said. He let out a sigh as he sat beside her. "It's just the first day of summer break..." he said as he turned to her. "I know. But you know what they say, time flies when you're having fun!" she answered him. He smiled and nodded his head. Now he knew where all these enthusiasm is coming from. "It's not like we're not gonna see each other after the break is over." he said. "We're neighbors, remember?" he added with a grin. The girl laughed at him, and nudged his side. "It's not all about you, Wu Chun." she said. She took a deep breath as she lay down on the grass. "It's just that... after this summer break... I don't know... we have to start thinking of our future..." she said. He let out a sigh and joined her on the grass. "Don't think too much of it, all right, Ms. Ella Chen." he said. He looked at her for a while, then stared up the blue skies. "How can I not think about it, Chun? Look, it's our last year in high school. Next year, we'll be in college... who knows, the two of us might get separated after this year..." she said.

Chun looked at her, and he could clearly see the worried look on her face. Since they were kids, the two of them were inseperable, except for the case in the schools they go to right now. Ella is a senior high school student at an all-girls' school (St. Margaret School) and Chun goes to an all-boys school (Southwood Academy). The thought of college have been freaking out Ella since the previous school year, he knew that. He knew that the reason behind it, is because she really wanted to get in to the university of their choice. She is paranoid, whether she will get in to that school, or if Chun will leave her behind. "Dont think much about college." he said. "Even if we don't get to the same university, you know that I will always be here for you. It's not like someone will take me away from you..."

Ella let out a sigh as she sat up. "Yeah, right. How about if you found yourself a girlfriend. With the number of girls lining up to be your girlfriend... there's no doubt that you'll get one soon." she said. A smirk was formed on his lips. He sat up, and put his arms around her shoulder. "Is that a hint of jealousy I'm hearing in my best friend's voice?" he asked. She folded her arms, and looked away from him. "I am not jealous." she said. "You are jealous." he said. He was beginning to be amused with his best friend. "Well, I couldn't help it if girls are begging for my attention..." he said proudly. She glaredf at him and gave him a nudge. Chun could only laugh at her reaction.

He took a deep breath, and then lay down on the grass once again. He closed his eyes with a smile on his lips, and Ella grabbed this chance to stare into his handsome, boyish face. She stared at him for a long time, leaning down to him. Then, he opened his eyes, and stared back at her. "What?" he asked. "I was only wondering why you don't have a girlfriend yet." she asked. "And why don't you have a boyfriend yet?" he asked back. She groaned as she looked away from him. "Do you always have to answer my question with another question?" she asked, pouting at him once again. "I want to know..."
"I want to know too!"
"I guess, we both want to know. Now, tell me your reasons."
"I asked first. You should tell me your reasons first."

Chun let out a sigh as he sat up again. He stared at the lake, then he took a small pebble and throw it at the water. "I guess I haven't found the girl whom I want to be with. She is this special girl, that I see my self growing old with. She have this almod eyes that I would never get tired of looking at, soft brown and long hair, she will have this cute smile that will always brighten up my day, and she will make my heart beat fast... so fast that I could not breathe anymore..." he said in a dreamy tone. Ella snorted at him. "Sheesh... you're so mushy. And picky. You'll grow old alone if you keep on being picky." she said. Chun glared at her. "I am not picky!" he said. "Picky. And Mushy. And corny. Sheesh!" Ella said. Chun let out a sighe. He put his arms around her, and began to pull her towards him, and tickle her sides. "Mushy? Picky? Corny? Am I still those things to you?" he asked as he tickeld her. Ella's face is already red from laughing to hard. "All right, all right! You're not!" she said. With that, Chun stopped tickling her, and let her go.

"OK, your turn." he said. "I don't have a boyfriend, because I don't want one." she said. Chun gave her a suspcious look. "What are you, a lesbian?"
"For your information, Wu Chun... I am not like those other girls who are in a hurry to have a boyfriend. I am enjoying my childhood."
Chun smacked her in the head. "You're not a kid anymore." he said sternly. "You're sixteen years old, for God's sake, Ella Chen." he added. "Why? You want me to have a boyfriend already? Are you getting tired of me?" she asked. Chun sighed, and shook his head. "Not that I'm getting tired of you. It's just that... I don't know... maybe if you got yourself a boyfriend, it will take me a long time to get used to it. Besides, I will pity the guy you will date..." he said. With what he said, Ella grabbed his arms, and bit it.

"Ouch! Ella Chen, stop it!" he said. She stopped biting him, and glared at him. "Take back what you said about you pitying the guy I will date." she threatened. "I take it back." he said. He let go of his arm, and Chun could only rub his bruised arm. "I wonder if you will ever get yourself a boyfriend with that attitude of yours..." he said. "Who said I want one?" she said. He let out a smile as he put his arms around her. "Let's make a deal, OK?" he said. Ella nodded her head. "Promise me that no matter what happens, if you got yourself a boyfriend, or if I found myself a girl, we'll always be best friends." he said. "Of course." she said. "You will never ever forget me."
"I won't. Maybe you will."
"I won't do that. And promise me that whoever that lucky guy is, he'll have to go through me, and I promise that whoever the lucky girl is, she will have to pass your standards first."
"Just don't date a , and I'm OK with it. Promise me that you will always be there for me, no matter what. That I will always come first in your life."
"I will. You will always be my priority."

Chun lifted up his pinky finger to her. "Best friends forever?" he asked. Ella smiled at him, and link her pinky to his. "Best friends forever." she said.