Babo

They tell me to stay away

“Yah, saeng il chuk ha ham ni da Doongie.”

I was awake but I couldn’t see. I tried to sit up but there was a sharp pain in my side as I sat up. Something was over my face so I couldn’t see and the voice I heard wasn’t Joon’s. I began to panic and notice a sharp pain rising from the back of my head. “Oh let me help you with that.” The voice said.

The shade over my eyes was removed and I frightened when I saw Seungho sitting down on a crate in the center of the room. A room I didn’t recognize, it was dark and damp. The floor was made of cement and it was humid. I could tell it was a basement somewhere. I looked over and I saw Joon. I had to conceal my tears as I looked at his body limp and clearly unconscious on the floor beside me.

“So, how does it feel to be just one.year.older Doongie? Huh, you feel great?”

Seungho asked.

I glared at him, he looked awful. What was left of his hair was discolored and in some places grey. His dark circles had turned into dark globes under his eyes. His eyes were red and sinister, he had a few cuts and scratches on his face, which was practically grey. What happened to him?

“Look I’m sorry for all this? You know how sick my grandfather was, what could I do? You know?”

I was so confused, not even sure how I’d gotten there or what happened to Joon or what “all this” was.

“What’s going on?” I asked. Seungho just scoffed, so you don’t know. He kicks Joon’s body. “Stop it! What is going on, I don’t know anything except that it all has something to do with you. So tell me now Yang Seungho.”

“Oh boy you sure grew a lot being couped up all those days.” He leaned in closer toward me. “You remember all those days I sent you to that ‘personal bank’” He made air quotes “to pick up my money from ‘work’” I nodded, still not sure where he was going with any of this. “Loan sharks, loan shark Sang hyun, technically you’re knee deep in debt with them.” He shrugged.

“You got me in debt…” I swallowed my words. “You bastard how could you do that to me.”

“How was I supposed to know I wouldn’t ever be able to pay off the debt and take care of my grandfather.”

“You could have at least had your own face on their records you bastard!” I tried to get up, I was in a rage but tied down to something clearly beyond my weight.

“I couldn’t risk it, how could I collect the money, and stay alive long enough to help my grandfather, I needed a scapegoat and unfortunately I took advantage of your cluelessness and your will to do anything for me.”

“What does that have to do with Joon?” I ignored his BS story.  “He’s the head shark’s son, didn’t you know? for him though, if you would’ve stayed low and stopped going to see him, it would have all worked out you know they never would have found you.” He smirked.

“Liar! You big lying idiot! They were tracking us, ALL OF US, they knew where we lived and what we talked about they always knew.”  I yelled, I felt like breathing fire.

“Doesn’t matter” he shrugged again “for whatever reason he didn’t take you in when he was supposed to, he hid you from his people and protected you. He’s as good as dead now and so are you. I’m sorry for hurting you like this Thunder, but they were going to kill me if I didn’t bring you here. Thank you for helping me with my grandfather.” He nodded and got up.

“How do you know they won’t kill you too?” I asked.

How, how did I get here? Where am I? Where was I before now?             

I think remember anything, my eyes burned I could only see red. I was angry and frightened and sad. I knew this was my entire fault I should have just stayed put, we never would have left the condo if I didn’t push it. This never would have happened. I started to cry looking at his body lying face down next to me. He was too far way to even touch and my hands were tied. “Don’t worry he isn’t dead, not yet anyway. I really am sorry about this.” I clenched my teeth wondering how I could ever love such a monster.

I looked over and saw a window, I could see the grass just outside it. If I could just get my hands free I knew I could get Joon and I out of here. That was all that matter right now. He wasn’t even fully healed from his first accident I don’t know what I would do if I lost him.

“What did G.O have to do with this?”

“Loan sharks aren’t easy to fool, especially not ones that have assassins for sons, so they know that you weren’t alone in the money. They knew someone close to you would be the only other person you would take out loans with. Smart people really.”

“He did save me.”  I said under my breath.

“We were both there, they knew. They were going to kill us both.” I had figured it out, why G.O kissed Seungho why we were forced to fight, why G.O was always going out with Seungho.

It was so that we were never alone together for too long. They wanted us together before they killed us. We were never alone since Seungho started being this way, constantly drinking and staying out all night. He went to visit his grandfather and stayed with Joon. He doesn’t know...

G.O didn’t want either of us to die, that night, both nights. Seungho was being a complete jerk, and acting really jealous. They had figured out that he was my boyfriend. All those people, were watching. That woman, they all confirmed it. But he kissed G.O and I stuck with Mir… so when they destroyed the apartment they were going after Mir. I couldn’t leave, they were going to kill me and whoever I was alone with.

 

“But they said if get you and brought the traitor too they’d let me go.” Seungho continued.

“You idiot! You brought us together, all three of us are here. Why would they let you go! They’re going to kill all of us right here.”

Just then the lights shut off and I remembered everything from that day.