Encore #1

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

IF Seungwan would be asked to describe her life, she would always choose one word—awful. Her parents separated at a young age. Her father remarried right after the divorce while her mother took her custody. Her mother would be busy working while she would be left alone, doing things on her own. 

She’d go to school on her own, attend her music lessons by herself and face her personal tutor by herself. She’s also used to eating her mother’s prepared dinner all alone since her mother comes home late. 

At a young age, she witnessed how her mother suffered just for them to have a better life. She witnessed how she struggled while being with her father so Seungwan didn’t want to be another burden to her. She did whatever she was told to do. She supported her mother in everything that she’s pursuing even if sometimes having her sitting in front of her during a meal would be enough.

One happening suddenly brought colour to that boring life of Seungwan. She was already on her way home from her music academy when she heard someone singing while she was passing by the playground. 

It was a sweet, sweet voice and it made her really curious. Since her private tutor won’t be coming that day, Seungwan thought of taking a detour to the said playground and found a girl sitting by a bench while singing the song [Je T’aime]. Seungwan then saw that another girl was sleeping on the singing girl’s lap.

Confused and curious, Seungwan went near the girl and made her presence known. The said girl stopped singing the moment she noticed Seungwan staring at her. Her eyes were wide. 

“Aren’t you too young to sing songs like—”

“SHHH!” The younger girl immediately silenced her. “My Seulgi-unnie just fell asleep… Please don’t be loud.”

“Your Seulgi-unnie?” Seungwan asked as her eyes travelled to the kid with fluffy cheeks and hair tied in twin buns. “Why does she look younger than you?”

The younger girl just stared at her with those disappointed eyes. Seungwan just shook her head and sighed. “What are you guys doing here? Aren’t you cold? It’s getting pretty chilly.”

“It’s okay. My Seulgi-unnie needs me for a bit so I am here for her.”

“Your Seulgi-unnie.” Seungwan repeated as she scrunched her nose. “No one’s going to take her from you so stop calling her that. It’s pretty creepy.”

The other girl pouted. “What’s creepy with that?” She then looked at the girl sleeping on her lap and started caressing her hair. “I want to be here as much as possible for my Seulgi-unnie. She’s having a hard time at her home so I want to be here to comfort her.”

Seungwan’s eyes squinted. “Aren’t you too young for that?”

“But hardships don’t look at people’s age. They come even at a young age.” The younger girl looked at Seulgi with those gentle eyes again. “It’s so sad that it came early for my Seulgi-unnie.”

Seungwan also looked at Seulgi and one word came into her mind–-lucky.

Even without knowing what kind of hardship Seulgi was undergoing, she still considered her lucky because she has a younger dongsaeng who treats her very preciously. 

“What’s your name?” Seungwan asked before sitting beside the girl. “My name’s Seungwan.”

“My name’s Sooyoung.” The girl introduced herself with a smile. “This is my Seulgi-unnie.”

“I know. You already said it quite a few times.” Seungwan sighed. “Do you come here often?”

“I come here to play with Seulgi-unnie often. Do you want to join us?” Sooyoung innocently asked. “You can come play with us.”

“I can come when I don’t have private tutorials.” Seungwan finally smiled. “Next time I will bring my guitar so you can sing with accompaniment. Your voice is really good, you know?”

“Really?” Sooyoung’s eyes sparkled in excitement. “Thank you! That will be exciting! My Seulgi-unnie would surely like it better!”

“Yeah, yeah… Your Seulgi-unnie seems like a heavy sleeper.”

“She’s having trouble sleeping at her house. Sometimes she can only sleep when I sing for her.” Sooyoung said with a worried face. “Sometimes I just really want to take her home but our house is pretty busy as well.”

Seungwan wasn’t the type to get into other’s business but she couldn’t help but wonder what she ate that day to be so open for a person that she just met. “Since winter is coming, why not spend your time with your Seulgi-unnie at my house. You two can stay in the living room while I get my lessons. We can all play afterwards.”

“Really?” Sooyoung’s eyes started sparkling again. “Why are you this kind to us, Stranger-unnie!?”

“I already told you my name so we’re not strangers anymore~” Seungwan smirked. “I’m always alone anyway. It won’t be that bad to have friends around, am I right?”

That’s how their friendship started. That’s also the day that Seungwan thought that life isn’t that awful at all and she thanked whatever sort of confidence that came to her that day that she managed to talk to total strangers. 

It was then when she realised having confidence would become her weapon in life. That confidence brought her a best friend and a person that she would love for the rest of her life.

 

 

 

 

WHEN Seungwan's mother remarried a Korean man with Canadian citizenship, she was asked if she wanted to stay in Korea or come with them in Canada. Of course, Seungwan wanted to stay. Korea is where her love interest and her best friend are. She treats them like her own family and she couldn't imagine how it would be without them. She became classmates with Seulgi until the end of middle school and Sooyoung would always hang out with them after their classes.

But, when Seulgi told her about her growing feelings for Sooyoung, the confidence that Seungwan had somehow vanished in thin air. Of course, even if the two didn't admit it, she could feel it. She could see it. It was evident. It was like only the two of them were clueless about each other's feelings. The two were in love with each other and Seungwan was well aware that she didn't have any place to squeeze herself in. And it hurts... because she was also in love with Sooyoung.

She decided to go to Canada with her mother and challenged herself to live in a new environment without her friends. It was really hard for her since she had to be better in English and her step-father has two children of his own. And yes, they didn't get along. Somehow, she understood what it feels to have Seulgi's life but she knew that her bestfriend's was way worse than hers. At the very least, she wasn't being abused in any way. Her step-siblings were just treating her like air. Nevertheless, Se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter