Track #9

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


 

SEULGI stiffened up when the new intern suddenly stood in front of her. The assistant manager saw how Director Bae facepalmed after the declaration of the said intern. Everyone was in shock at the news of the Chairman’s daughter's employment. She was a well-known spoiled brat and she never, even once, had to earn money in her own strength. But here she is, in all her branded clothes and goods’ glory, starting to work in the Design Department.

News travelled fast and people actually understood that working under a competent yet young director under Director Bae would be beneficial to her but they didn’t expect her to go to the Advertisement Design Section—That one section with the notorious section manager. Some employees actually thought that the Chairman purposely sent her daughter there to see if the rumours about Section Manager Shin are true. 

When Kim Yerim was introduced to the said section, Seulgi immediately cowered in fear in her place. She completely forgot about the said girl but seeing her once again reminded her about how she was called ugly again and again and how she tricked her into believing that she has some hearing problems. Now that Yerim will be working in her section, she knew that the days would be even harder. 

She already proved it when Kim Yerim ignored Section Manager Shin’s instruction and went straight to her. The girl was told that a senior staff member would be the one accompanying her during the internship period but Yerim obviously didn’t like the idea at all.

“I want her to be the one to teach me.” Yerim pointed at Seulgi. She was smiling from ear to ear, looking so friendly as if she didn’t terrorise the said girl the first time they met. 

“Kim Yerim-ssi.” Everyone turned to Joohyun whose arms were already crossed. “Kang-daeri is doing a lot of projects. I believe she doesn’t have the leisure to train an intern.”

“She’s doing projects?” Yerim innocently repeated. “Much better then! I can learn while I watch her work.”

“I appreciate your desire to learn but I am afraid you might get in her way resulting in low performance.” Everyone’s mouths agape after hearing the director’s response. As expected, she isn’t anyone who would just bow down to someone just because they are related to the Chairman.

“But, Director—”

“Yerim-ssi.” Even Seulgi flinched at that call from Joohyun. “This is a workplace. This isn’t an academy where you get to choose your teacher. Everyone here is your superior and you have to listen to whatever they say related to work. You aren’t disobeying your superior’s order on your first day at work, are you?”

‘What’s with this woman?’ Yerim was already spatting curses in her mind. She turned to Seulgi who immediately looked away the moment her eyes landed on her. 

“I’m sorry, Director Bae. That wasn’t my intention at all.” Left with no other choice, Yerim had to give up. She can’t afford to turn Seulgi off if she continues to push on with her agenda. 

“Great. I’m glad that you understand.” The young director then turned to Shin-chajang. “I’ll leave everything into your hands then, Shin-chajang. Back to work, everyone!” 

Joohyun started walking towards her office but she stopped and turned to Seulgi. “Kang-daeri.”

“Y-Y-Yes, Director Bae?” Seulgi asked as she stood up. 

“I need to discuss something with you about the band. Come to my office.”

“Y-Yes, Director!” Seulgi immediately took her notes and followed the director. She gave Yerim a bow when she ran past her. The girl was dumbfounded. 

“She can actually speak!? Her voice is so nice!” She monologues with her eyes bulging. “I-Is she wearing a hearing aid this time? Is she just actually deaf and not mute?”

Seulgi was welcomed with another surprise when she entered her director’s office. Right after she closed the door, the young director pulled her by the collar. She was so startled that she had to close her eyes, thinking that she would be hit. But she didn’t feel anything hitting her, gentle hands fixing her clothes were what she felt. 

“D-Director?” Seulgi called when she laid her eyes on the worried face of Joohyun. “I-Is something wrong?”

Seulgi watched how Joohyun’s frown deepened. “You told me before, right? The Chairman’s daughter actually bullied you. She told you mean things. I am just trying to prevent that from happening again.”

“D-Director…” Seulgi’s ears started to burn at Joohyun’s expression of worry over her. She somehow felt happy. “I-I’m m-moved that you’re worried about me, Director. B-But the Chairman’s daughter calls me ugly, I don’t think my face w-would be fixed just with my clothes.”

Joohyun looked up at her with a cute pout. “What are you even talking about? How many times should I tell you that you aren’t ugly? You just really lack confidence.”

Joohyun lets go of Seulgi, leaving a hint of yearning at the latter’s heart. “T-Thank you for worrying about me, Director…” Seulgi shyly said while scratching her cheek.

“Of course, aren’t I your unnie? It’s my duty to protect my dongsaeng.”

Seulgi felt her heart sink but she didn’t choose to show it in her face. She just smiled, convincing herself that she’s happy she was reminded of the truth. 

“Let me know if she bullies you again.” Joohyun said while randomly fixing her stuff.

Seulgi lowered her head before taking a deep sigh. “Director Bae…”

“Hm?” Joohyun answered absentmindedly.

“Well, uhm…” Seulgi bit her lower lip. “I-I know it’s not the right time and place to ask about this b-but I am just really worried…”

Joohyun turned to the fidgeting Seulgi. Their eyes connected for a moment but Seulgi immediately looked away. “What’s it, Kang-daeri?”

“Your eyes…” Seulgi looked at her again. “What happened? D-Did he make you cry again?”

Joohyun subconsciously touched her face. She thought she managed to perfectly cover with makeup but it turned out it wasn’t easy to conceal her swollen eyes. Or is it because Seulgi was just really attentive to every change in her?

“W-We just got into another fight…” Joohyun answered with a sigh before forcing a smile. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing that serious.”

‘Nothing serious but you guys fought like three times just this week…’ Seulgi’s fists clenched. “I-I’m sorry for suddenly asking. W-What is about the band that you want to discuss?”

“Ah, about that…” There wasn’t actually anything to discuss, she just really wanted to check on Seulgi. She was worried that Kim Yerim’s appearance shook her again. It affected her performance so much the first time they crossed paths. “Uhm… I think it would be best to discuss it with everyone around. Let’s just talk about it tonight.”

“Tonight?”

“Yes, tonight. During practice.”

Seulgi fell silent. She seemed like she fell deep in her thoughts. 

“Is something wrong?” Joohyun asked. 

“Nothing.” Seulgi weakly shook her head. She then gave Joohyun a reassuring smile. “I’ll see you tonight then.”

Joohyun’s eyes widened with those parting words. She just watched Seulgi go out of her office, she couldn’t even say anything. She plopped herself on her swivel chair and looked at her reflection in the little mirror she has on her desk. She bit her lower lip when she noticed she was flushed. 

“No, Joohyun… You are just sad. Don’t be controlled by your emotions!”

The young director gave herself a double slap before focusing herself to work, burying the fact that Seulgi managed to make her heart flutter again.




 

 



 

“EY, Seulgi-ya. Don’t be like that. You should really come.”

Seulgi leaned on the wall and sighed. The girl was by the fire exit again. It was already lunch time but instead of getting lunch, she first made that phone call. She didn’t expect that it would be picked up because of how busy the receiver of the call is but she was relieved that it was picked up.

“I’m really sorry, Hanbyul-oppa. It’s just really busy in the company right now.” Seulgi answered the man on the other line while scratching her cheek. “I really can’t go.”

“What do you mean you can’t go? It’s a family dinner! You need to be there!” 

Seulgi had to move the phone away from her ears because of how her brother was shouting at her. Her brother called for a family dinner and she could feel that he would be announcing something really important. Seulgi wanted to be there but she was too afraid to go, fearing that she would either be heavily compared to her siblings or be ultimately treated like air in that family dinner.

“I’m really sorry…” Seulgi pressed her lips together. She closed her eyes and Joohyun’s image immediately flashed before her very eyes. “I am involved in a very special project now. I can’t afford to fail on this one.”

She heard the guy on the other line sigh. “Will that guarantee you a promotion?”

“Uhm… Well… Kind of?” Seulgi continued to lie. 

“Well then. I guess I can’t do anything about it when my precious little sister prioritises her work over her cool older brother. My sister just really doesn't know her priorities, does she?”

Seulgi had to roll her eyes with his brother’s silliness. “Whatever, Oppa. As if my presence to your little meeting would make a change. You know it would be better that I don’t attend family gatherings.”

“Seulgi-ya…” Her brother worriedly called. He let out a frustrated sigh. “Alright, since you won’t be coming, I’ll tell you what I am going to announce later…”

Seulgi listened to her brother and her eyes widened when he finally dropped the bomb.

“M-Marriage!? You’re going to get married!?” Seulgi immediately covered when she realised she was shouting. “For real?”

“Yeah… Actually… I ran into a red light.”

“You what!?” Seulgi had to sit by the stairs. “Oppa, you’re going to be killed by your fans!” 

She just heard laughter from the other line. “Come on, I am not an idol. Don’t over exaggerate things. Also, I can’t help it. You know that I’ve been wanting to establish my own family for a long time now. I’m at the right age to form a family.”

“You’re right…” Seulgi ran her fingers through her hair. Her not going to the gathering being a good idea is now cemented in her. If her brother is announcing marriage then she would be surely asked about her own lovelife as well in which she has nothing to answer. Nevertheless, she’s very happy for her brother. It was always him who would stand for her. She’s also excited that she’s going to be an aunt.

“Congratulations, Oppa. I’m happy that you’re happy.” Seulgi sincerely congratulated Hanbyul. “I’ll be sure to be there at your wedding.”

“You better be! Know your priorities, young lady!” The two just laughed. “Actually, I haven’t proposed yet. I’m planning for a surprise engagement party for just family members. You should come there too.”

“My goodness… Announcing marriage without even proposing.” Seulgi just sighed. “I’ll be there. Don’t worry.”

“That’s good to know!” The guy laughed. “Seulgi-ya, your cool Hanbyul-oppa is going back to filming now. I’ll send you the details for the engagement party. See you there, my baby sister!”

“I’m not a baby anymore!” Seulgi shouted but the line was already cut. “This guy is really hopeless.”

She looked at the time and heard her stomach growling as if on cue. “I better eat first then do some quests during the break.”

That was Seulgi’s perfect plan but it was all ruined when someone joined her at her lunch table without even asking if she could join her. Seulgi froze in place. All eyes were on that table. The Chairman’s daughter is indeed working, it’s a huge miracle!

“Kang Seulgi-daeri, right?” Yerim asked the moment she took the seat. “Ah, Daeri-nim. Sorry for my rudeness.”

Seulgi wasn’t able to answer right away. She felt like whatever was in would spill if she opened her lips. Yerim looked at her with curiosity. She moved back and tilted her head to the side. “Don’t tell me you can’t hear me right now? Did you remove your hearing aid?”

The assistant manager immediately swallowed her food. She couldn’t believe that the Chairman’s daughter still thinks that she’s deaf after everything. 

“Hm? How do you do that again?” Yerim then started signing and Seulgi’s eyes widened in her fluency. The younger girl just introduced herself using sign language and even asked Seulgi for confirmation about her name. Without giving it much thought, Seulgi replied using sign language again. 

“You know sign language?”

She watched how the eyes of the intern sparkled after she talked to her. “Yes! I started to learn it weeks ago. Am I doing well?”

Seulgi gave her an eager nod. “Yes! You’re doing really great for someone who started learning just weeks ago!”

“Am I?” Yerim laughed triumphantly. “I’m really glad! This is all I’ve been doing the past weeks. I’m really glad there’s fruit in all my suffering!”

Seulgi was already smiling before she even knew it and Yerim was squealing internally at the sight of that cute smile. She felt like she already conquered one mountain. 

“What made you study sign language, Yerim-ssi?” Seulgi asked. She didn’t realise that she’s still signing at her. The way they talked attracted more eyes to flock on them. Joohyun just finished eating with the other directors that time when she noticed how oddly quiet the mess hall was. She followed where their eyes were on and found that it was Seulgi and Yerim in the receiving end. 

Joohyun felt really worried after seeing the two together but she had to squint her eyes to confirm if she was seeing things correctly. Seulgi was smiling! She was smiling while talking to the person who used to bully her! She was smiling while talking with someone who is technically a stranger to her. For some reason, Joohyun’s heart didn’t know how to react to that information. 

“I felt really bad about last time.” Yerim signed back which made Joohyun frown deeper, confused on why they were talking like that. She then remembered what Seulgi told her last time that she resorted to sign language just to escape Yerim. 

“Did she really study sign language just to talk with Kang-daeri!?”

“I know I said really mean things and I regret it. I don’t know if you heard them though. Please give me a chance. I want to be your friend.”

Seulgi’s eyes widened once again. That was the first time someone actually asked if they could be friends. The smile on her face slowly vanished, alerting Joohyun.

“Uhm…” Seulgi started, surprising Yerim. “I-I… I don’t know what happened t-that you want me to be your friend now b-but…”

She tried looking at the intern’s eyes. “I’m… actually perfectly fine… I-I can hear and speak properly.”

“What!?” Yerim shouted. “What the hell!? You mean I studied sign language for nothing!? Why did you fool me!?”

Seulgi shrunk to her seat. “I-I’m sorry… I w-was out of options that time. You were saying hurtful things to me… I just wanted to escape…”

Yer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter