Track #10

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

WITH her heart not wanting to leave, Seulgi took one last look at Joohyun which the latter caught her doing. Seulgi immediately looked away, making Joohyun chuckle.

“I’m going to be fine, Kang-daeri.” Joohyun said while still under the sheets. “Don’t worry too much about me. I am a strong, independent woman.”

Seulgi remained silent. It’s already time to go to work but she just can’t leave Joohyun alone after everything that happened last night. Right after Joohyun asked her to move closer, her phone buzzed as if on cue. Seulgi first thought that it saved her since she doesn’t know what “Would you please sit a bit closer to me?” paired with a flustered face means.

But when she watched how horror crept over Joohyun’s face, she knew something was wrong. Joohyun tried to play it cool. She even told Seulgi that it was nothing but her eyes didn’t cooperate at all. She just started crying but she didn’t break down.

Seulgi quickly stood up and turned the lights off before running back to sit closer to her director. Seulgi then held her hand tightly and fixed her gaze on Yujin’s bed.

“I-I-It’s fine, D-Director! I won’t be looking! G-Go ahead… I-If this will make y-you feel better. J-Just go.”

They stayed like that for quite a while until Joohyun leaned her head on Seulgi’s shoulder.

“He said we should break up.” Joohyun said in a quiet voice, forcing herself not to sob. “And blocked me right away without even waiting for my reply.”

Seulgi’s jaw clenched. Her hold to Joohyun’s hand tightened. She remained silent, telling Joohyun that she’s there to listen.

She was expecting Joohyun to open up at the very least but the girl kept everything to herself. She just cried to herself in silence. It was when Seulgi felt Joohyun’s hold to her loosening when she realised that the lady had fallen asleep.

Not wanting to wake her up, Seulgi did her best to carry Joohyun to her bed in the most careful way that she could and thankfully she succeeded.

It was a long night for Seulgi. She was the one who couldn't sleep at all, she resorted to gaming until the server reset. And now, she had to go to work with a few hours of sleep and her mind being left in her room since Joohyun decided to take a half day off.

Seulgi let out a deep sigh. “L-Let me know if you need anything.”

“I’m not sick, silly.” Joohyun then hugged Seulgi’s extra pillow while she stared at her junior’s worried face. It seemed like Seulgi should be the one taking the day off because of lack of sleep. 

“I’m fine, Kang-daeri. People from the production will come here later for a meeting about the shoot. I have to be there to meet them. I can’t afford to face them with swollen eyes.” Joohyun forced a smile. “I am really fine. You should go to work now.”

“Alright, Director.” Seulgi then picked her phone and ID up. “I’ll see you later then.”

“Hm! See you later.” 

Seulgi took one final peek of her face before finally going out. Joohyun then laid on her back and let out a deep, deep sigh. She still couldn’t believe what happened. Her boyfriend of three years suddenly broke up with her through a text message!

Well, their relationship had been on the rocks lately but she didn’t know it was that unfixable. She saw the hints but she just ignored them thinking that it was just a phase. Things changed drastically after that day.

“What should I do? I am still not ready for it. Am I really the one to be blamed for this?”

Joohyun covered her face with her arm. “It ended just like that… Despite all of my accomplishments, my background and current social status… I was just thrown out just like that…”



 

 



 

“KANG-DAERI!!!”

Seulgi flinched at that shout of their Section Manager. She immediately stood up only to see the angry face of the said man.

“Y-Yes—“

“I’ve been calling you since earlier! Why the hell aren’t you responding!?” Shin-chajang was even hitting his desk with the approval folder.

“I-I’m s-s-sorry, I was just focusing—“

“Just say you are spacing out! You’re spoiling my mood early in the morning!” He hit his desk one last time. “Bring this document to the Accounting Department to wake yourself up!”

Seulgi’s fists clenched. She might have been really sleepy that time but it was true that she was focusing at work. “Y-Yes—“

“I’ll do it.”

Everyone was silenced when Kim Yerim stood up. Shin-chajang was evidently shocked. There were gasps when the intern started walking towards the section manager’s desk, her arms were crossed.

“There are a lot of other people who were just zoning out like zombies, why make Kang-daerinim do it? She’s already busy.” Yerim snatched the said document from the hands of Shin-chajang.

“Y-Yerim-ssi—“

“What? Did I say anything wrong?” Yerim asked with a brow raised, rendering the senior speechless. The intern then turned to the employee who is supervising her. “Let’s go. Lead me to the Accounting Department.”

“Y-Yes!” The employee immediately stood up and led the way. Yerim passed by Seulgi and just rolled her eyes on her. The section manager frowned.

“Why is this girl being favoured by all the hotshots!?” He murmured to himself. Seulgi’s team manager immediately served him a cup of coffee.

“You just need some caffeine, Chajang-nim. Calm down a bit.” Yoon-gwajang cautiously placed the coffee on his table.

Seulgi sat back in her seat. She took a deep, deep breath and tried to focus back at her work but instead, her thoughts travelled back to her room and to the person currently in there. 

‘No, Seulgi. Don’t even try. She’s way out of your league. Do you want to get hurt again, idiot?’ The assistant manager heavily shook her head. ‘Yeah, you’re just sleepy. Whatever you are thinking now, that's because you’re just sleepy. It’s nothing serious…’

She was trying her hardest to stay sane when a venti-sized hot vanilla latte was suddenly placed on her table. She looked up and saw Yerim who immediately shut her up before she could even speak. The intern even warned the employee sitting beside Seulgi to stay quiet as well. 

Yerim then ducked and gave Seulgi a grin. “Your eyebags are a giveaway. We went to get some coffee after delivering that stupid document. I did well, am I right?” 

“Y-Yerim-ssi…” Seulgi panicked. “W-We will be scolded if we get caught talking like this…”

The intern looked at her with disbelief. “He can try to scold me. Let’s see what will happen to him.”

“Y-Yerim-ssi—”

“Aren’t you going to thank me? I brought you coffee!”

Seulgi let out a deep sigh as she took a look at the said coffee. “T-Thank you, Y-Yerim-ssi… You didn’t have to…”

Yerim smiled once more. “I don’t know if you like vanilla latte though. I asked the one supervising me but it was pointless. He doesn’t have a clue of what you like.”

“I-It’s fine. I-I’m not picky…” Seulgi tried to look back at her monitor but Yerim forcefully made her look at her by swinging her swivel chair. Seulgi felt even more dizzy with that sudden move. “Y-Yerim-ssi…”

The intern gave her a smirk before she started signing. “So, you weren’t able to sleep because I invited you on a date? I understand the excitement but you must not be that obvious~”

Seulgi stiffened, she totally forgot that she was invited on a date. Her lack of response irked the Chairman’s daughter.

“What’s with that expression? Are you seriously telling me that it was something else that made you sleepless?”

The assistant manager suddenly held her head which alerted Yerim. “Hey, are you okay?” she asked while holding Seulgi by the shoulders.

“I suddenly feel dizzy all of a sudden…” Seulgi took a peek of her and Yerim immediately blushed because of how close they were. “I-I’m sorry, Yerim-ssi. C-Can we talk about this during lunch?”

‘She’s inviting me to have lunch together!?’ The younger girl could hear herself internally screaming. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. 

“O-Okay. Lunch together then?” Yerim shyly asked. 

“Y-Yes.” Seulgi weakly nodded. “I-I just don’t feel so good right now.”

“A-Alright! I’ll book a place for our lunch. Somewhere you can take a proper rest as well.” 

“Hm?” Seulgi looked rather confused. “What do you mean?”

Yerim rolled her eyes as if Seulgi asked a no-brainer. “The food from the cafeteria isn’t of my liking. Don’t worry, it’s my treat~ I don’t think you can even afford it anyway~” She then gave her senior a light tap on the cheek. “I’ll see you later then, Daeri-nim~”

Seulgi just watched Yerim leave and even the employee beside her let out a sigh of relief. He checked on Seulgi if the girl was okay which she answered with a weak yes. The man felt bad for Seulgi for he thought she was being targeted by another person now and it’s not just any other senior, it’s the Chairman’s daughter.

Seulgi took off her glasses for a while before taking a sip of the coffee. ‘I want to see Director Bae during lunch…’ The desire to see Joohyun was so big that she can’t even deny that she regrets unintentionally inviting Yerim for lunch. ‘That’s right. Just eat lunch with Yerim-ssi. Whatever you’re feeling right now is not it. It’s the last thing that Director Bae would need.’



 

 



 

“I MESSED up! I am really sorry!” 

Yujin bowed her head, her forehead was even touching the table. Seungwan raised her head up, telling her that there was no need to apologise like that. “It’s fine. You didn’t know. And you’re right about Director Bae sending confusing signals. She can’t blame people for thinking that she has something for Seulgi. Let’s just hope that Seulgi isn’t being led on.”

Seungwan took a sip of her drink. “I can’t believe that they actually do sleepovers with just them alone. That woman doesn’t really listen to anyone with a lower position, huh?”

“What? You already warned her, Unnie?” Yujin asked. Seungwan answered her with a nod before rolling her eyes. 

“I told her to clearly draw the line. I don’t want Seulgi to misunderstand her. I don’t know if Seulgi is already aware but it’s very obvious that she cares for Director Bae.” Seungwan deadpanned. “She did a lot for Seulgi. It is normal for Seulgi to appreciate her. It’s not also impossible for her to fall if Director Bae keeps acting carelessly.”

Yujin’s shoulders dropped even lower. “It would be fine if she was single…”

“That’s what I told her.” Seungwan bit her lower lip. “Let’s just hope no line is being crossed whenever you leave them by themselves in your dorm room.” 

"Director Bae has a boyfriend, huh?" Minjeong sighed while biting the straw of her drink, finally joining the conversation. "Then we really have to stop them getting even closer."

"You also misread Director Bae, Minjeong?" Yujin asked. 

Minjeong let go of the straw. "I just thought they have good chemistry together. Even Joy-unnie thought the same."

"Oh man..." Seungwan shook her head. "You don't know how much she talked about Seulgi and Director Bae at home. She even told me that she caught them having a moment at the restroom during our celebration."

"They were what!?" The two youngest asked in chorus.

"She wasn't sure but you know drunk Seulgi, her confidence goes out of the roof." Seungwan then turned to the girl sitting beside Minjeong. "Please don't tell anyone about this, Jimin-ssi."

Jimin, the only person that Minjeong was intending to treat, got dragged into this emergency meeting when she told Yujin about the progress. Right after saying that she got Minjeong to treat her to something, Yujin's jaw dropped. The girl literally looked like she was experiencing the end of the world. 

"Kim Minjeong treating someone into something? This is a miracle!" Yujin exclaimed, earning them gazes while they were in the office. "I'm sorry, Jimin. You can't be the only one enjoying this miracle!"

When she was already on her way to meet Minjeong, Yujin suddenly appeared with Seungwan by the cafe and caught Minjeong off-guard. The guitarist was greatly teased by the two until she gave up and treated them as well. 

Minjeong isn't the type to treat people. She's really careful in using her money. Sometimes the others and call her a leech since she never really bought anything for them at all.

Yujin was also about to call Seulgi but Seungwan told her not to since she wanted to discuss something about their bassist. Seungwan talking about Seulgi being rare plus Minjoo's revelation about Joohyun's current status made Yujin decide not to have Seulgi witness the miracle of Minjeong treating others.

Jimin gave Yujin a meaningful stare before answering. "O-Of course, why would I tell anyone about this?"

"Good." Seungwan answered with a smile. "If this leaked out, you're the only suspect."

Jimin let out an audible gasp. Seungwan was surely smiling at her but she could feel the threat in her voice. Yujin snickered after seeing the look on Jimin's face. She reached out and held Jimin's hand. 

"Don't worry. That's just how the ace of the Sales Department talks. She means no harm." Yujin said with assurance but her statement was immediately cancelled by Seungwan.

“I am serious.” Seungwan casually said, the smile on her face wasn’t faltering. “If this becomes the talk of the town I’ll be saying sorry in advance.”

“Unnie—ACK! YA! KIM MINJEONG!”

Yujin disgustingly shook her hand that she used to hold Jimin’s hand. Minjeong just shot a pearl through her straw.

“What the hell is that for!? That’s disgusting!” Yujin pulled a tissue and wiped her hand. Minjeong just casually looked away.

“Aren’t we talking about not sending mixed signals?” The girl chewed on her remaining tapioca pearls. “You should remove the plank on your eye first before removing the spec on other’s eyes.”

The other three gave different reactions to that. Seungwan praised her, telling her it was cool while Yujin just grumpily crossed her arms. Jimin, on the other hand, blushed so hard that she had to cover her face with her hair.

‘She’s worried about me… right?’ There went Jimin making an imaginary signal. It was really nothing for Minjeong. She was just simply protecting everyone.

“You are back with Minjoo now, Yujin. You should already know what to do.” Minjeong added which made Jimin blush harder. 

"TCH. It was just a friendly gesture." The girl leaned back on her chair with her arms extended to hold her drink. "Isn't it unfair? She got too close to other people but I can't even hold someone else's hand? That's absurd."

Minjeong and Seungwan turned to her with unamused eyes. Even Jimin wasn’t pleased by it.

"What?" Yujin asked, a bit annoyed. 

"Did you feel good after that?" Seungwan interrogated.

"I will surely report you to Seulgi-unnie if you don't repent right here, right now." Minjeong threatened her. 

Yujin just rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

Minjeong then took a peek of Jimin and thought that the girl was really having a hard time facing the fact that Yujin is already taken. She mistook her blush as a sign of embarrassment and frustration but she thought that it would be better to just face the truth like that.

“I wonder what Seulgi is up to though.” Seungwan sighed. “I just hope she isn’t doing anything that will hurt her in the end.”



 

 



 

“I DON’T think your friend is being reasonable.”

Seulgi was taken aback by Yerim’s opinion but she wasn’t surprised at all. She already thought that whatever she was feeling now is absurd, it’s Yerim’s delivery that took her by surprise. 

She thought that the girl would take things lightly but she was actually listening to her worries and also telling her opinion.

“You said your friend has been in love with someone else for the longest time and then your friend’s new interest just broke up with her boyfriend for three years, right?” Yerim took a scoop of her ice cream before continuing.

“Just because the new interest is free now doesn’t mean your friend can water her growing interest to that person. It won’t be healthy.”

Seulgi forced a smile. “That’s r-right. I-I thought so as well.”

Yerim dropped her ice cream spoon before leaning back to her chair. She then fixed her gaze outside as they are in one of Seoul’s highest buildings.

“Your friend should not pursue the new interest until it is assured that she won’t be reunited with her boyfriend. What if your friend’s feelings completely developed and they suddenly got back together? Your friend will be the one to get hurt in the end.” The Chairman’s daughter let out a deep, deep sigh. 

“And hearing your story, I can see that your friend is really emotional. When they love, they just don’t fall; they dive in until it’s hard to get back to the surface. It’s better not to pursue the budding feelings while there’s still no assurance. Your friend might end up being used as a rebound too.”

“Y-You‘re right.” 

Silence then covered the two. Seulgi’s dessert was long gone. Yerim immediately noticed that she’s really a fast eater. She doesn’t even savour her food. She can’t deduce if she’s just awkward or really eats that fast but she’s sure about a few things.

‘She’s not interested in me at all.’ Yerim concluded as she quietly observed Seulgi. ‘And this ‘friend story’ is definitely about her. Does she think she’s talking to a child? I am not that slow to not realise it.’

Yerim took another scoop of her ice cream. ‘At the very least, it seems like she doesn’t dislike me. She even told me a very important story. I was so sure that she’d hate me after all that I said to her that day.’

“Thank you, Yerim-ssi.” 

Yerim’s brows raised when Seulgi suddenly spoke. “Don’t bother about lunch. I just don’t really like the food in the company.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter