Track #14

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


 

“MINJEONG-SSI!”

The accountant was surprised when she recognised who she held the elevator door for. If she knew earlier, she would’ve just let the elevator door close.

“Thank you for holding the door for me.” Yoo Jimin said while still catching her breath. 

“No problem.” Minjeong answered and didn’t say anything more. She focused her eyes on the floor indicator. Somehow it felt like it was moving quite slow at that time.

Jimin could feel the awkward tension between them. Minjeong kept looking away whenever their eyes met. She even busied herself with her phone as if saying that she doesn’t want to talk.

But, Yoo Jimin changed. She decided not to be the coward she used to be. She was so used to being the one receiving the confession. She was so used to being liked first. It was the first time in her life that she developed feelings for someone who clearly doesn’t have interest in her, so making the first move was new to her.

She’s been keeping her crush in her heart for quite a long time. This time around, she decided that she won’t be running away from the attraction anymore and just go all in despite the huge chance that she would be rejected.

Heck, she would rather be rejected and move on than do nothing and dwell in what ifs. 

“M-Minjeong-ssi?” Jimin called in a shy voice. 

“Yes?” The other girl answered, wearing a face that showed no interest at all.

“By any chance… Are you annoyed with me or something?”

Minjeong’s brows shot upwards. “No, what made you think like that?”

“Really?” Jimin took a deep breath. “Then… Does sending you messages kind of give you a burden?”

Jimin was clearly talking about the many times that Minjeong left her to read. The accountant just let out a sigh. “It’s not because I am annoyed with you. I just don’t have anything to say… That’s all.”

“I see…” Jimin forced a smile. “That means talking with me doesn’t interest you at all, am I right?”

Minjeong remained silent but deep inside she was already panicking. She can’t answer with no because she doesn’t want to start anything that she doesn’t have the assurance that she can finish. She also can’t say yes since it would not only hurt Jimin’s feelings but she would be a sneezing mess. 

“I guess silence means yes, am I right?”

‘Oh gosh!’ Minjeong felt like fainting inside but she did her best not to show any emotion on her face. She took a peek of Jimin and saw how hurt the other girl was. She knew her intention to be close to her could just be because she wanted to be friends but Minjeong couldn’t help but to be afraid. 

Though she may always say that she doesn’t have any interest in romantic relationships, Kim Minjeong certainly has a type. She knows what she’s attracted to and she’s also well-aware that Yoo Jimin checks all the boxes. 

The elevator finally reached the Marketing Department floor and Jimin had to get off. She gave Minjeong a forced smile and a bow before hurrying to get out of that awkward place. She definitely looked like she was about to cry.

Minjeong pushed the close button and let out a deep sigh. “It’s better off like this.” She convinced herself as she leaned on the wall. “It’s better off like this.”

Jimin marched towards her desk only to see Yujin already sitting in hers. Yujin would always be the first one to arrive in their office since she lives right in the dormitory located in the upper floors of the building. She was wearing her headset, eyes fixed on her phone while playing air drums. 

“Yujinie!” 

Jimin ran towards the younger girl and hugged her. Yujin was evidently surprised because she didn’t even notice that Jimin arrived. She pushed her headset back and turned to Jimin, her eyes widened when she saw that the other girl was crying. 

“Jimin?” Yujin lifted the face of the damsel in distress. She quickly pulled some tissue from her dispense and helped Jimin wipe her tears. “What happened? Why are you crying this early in the morning?”

“I got rejected.” Jimin sobbed. Her tears stopped for a moment but she started wailing again when she remembered how cold Minjeong was. “She is like winter! Why is she like that to me? She didn’t even give me a chance at all!”

“W-W-Wait, what?” Yujin pulled for Jimin’s chair and had the girl take a seat. “You got rejected? By Kim Minjeong?”

Jimin answered with a nod. Tears were pouring non-stop. Yujin was left even more confused. She shook her head thinking that it would organise her thoughts. 

“You confessed to Kim Minjeong!?” Yujin shouted when she finally processed everything. “Did you really freaking confess to Kim Minjeong!? I told you to take it slow!”

“I didn’t confess to her…” Jimin sobbed. “But it was a little bit indirect. Even the rejection.”

“Remain seated and explain things to me better.”

And so, Jimin did exactly what she was told to do after drying her tears and calming down. Yujin just listened to her, nodding in every information that she relayed. There were already other people coming in so they had to tone down their voices. 

“I see… So that’s what happened.” Yujin crossed her arms and leaned back to her chair as the story was finally finished. “She obviously didn’t answer because she’s afraid of all the consequences.”

“What do you mean?” Jimin asked. 

“Let me tell you a secret, Jimin.” Yujin moved a little closer. Jimin did the same. “Kim Minjeong can tell no lies. Once she lies, she sneezes. That’s the very reason why she didn’t answer your question.”

“H-Huh? What do you mean?” Jimin asked, now the confused one. “What do you mean by sneezing when she lies?”

“We don’t know either. It’s like a blessing and a curse at the same time. She can’t tell a lie.” Yujin shook her head. She just couldn’t imagine how Minjeong is having a hard time now. “So, when you asked her if she’s not interested in talking to you, she couldn’t answer yes because that would mean she would be lying. She’d be sneezing like crazy! Of course, she won’t be answering no because I know she’s afraid to send the wrong signal.”

“S-So that means…”

“But wait…” Yujin’s shoulders dropped when she realised something. “We can also interpret it the other way around. She didn’t answer because telling you that she’s not interested with you straight to the face would hurt you more and if she answered no then she would be sneezing which will also say the same—”

“Ahn Yujin!” Jimin was about to give a smack on the shoulder when someone cleared . The two looked at the source of the sound and saw Minjoo standing in front of their desks.

“Min—Secretary Kim!” Yujin called with a smile. “What brought you here, Miss Beautiful?”

“Good morning, Ahn-jooim.” Minjoo just looked at her with those bored eyes. “I just came to tell you that the Chairman is calling for the band members for a meeting later. Once the executive meeting is done, I’ll give you another call.”

Minjoo then turned to the girl beside Yujin. “Yoo-jooim-nim, the Chairman is also requesting for you to attend this meeting. Please be prepared.”

“M-Me too?” Jimin asked. “W-Why?”

“I don’t have any idea. I guess we will find out during the meeting.” Minjoo gave them a bow. “Well then, I should go and tell the others.”

Minjoo left without saying anything else. Jimin gave Yujin the look and the latter immediately understood what she was trying to say. Yujin hurriedly stood up and went after Minjoo. 

“Minjoo!” Yujin called out when she made sure no one else was there. Minjoo quickly stopped in her tracks and turned to Yujin with a pout. Yujin’s heart clenched due to the cuteness. If only she could hug the other girl at that time, she wouldn’t hesitate at all. 

“Baby…” Yujin whispered as she moved closer. “I knew you would be cosplaying a duck.”

“Are you teasing me right now?” Minjoo asked, still pouting. Yujin just snickered and poked the other girl’s cheek. “It isn’t what I am thinking, right?”

“Yes.” Yujin nodded. “I told you already, Jimin is interested in the aromantic Kim Minjeong. I am just acting like a bridge to them.”

“Okay…” Minjoo tried to look at Yujin’s face but immediately looked away. 

“Grumpy cutie.” Yujin continually . “You know you can just send me a message. Did you really come down just to see me?”

Minjoo rolled her eyes, a smile slowly curved up her lips. “Yujin-ssi, I also had to deliver the word to Yoo-jooim-nim.”

“Oh?” Yujin tried to have Minjoo look straight into her eyes, making the latter snicker. “Come on, Minjoo~ Be true to yourself~”

“Alright, alright. I came to see you, silly puppy!” Minjoo playfully pushed her by the shoulder. “And now that I have already seen you, I have to get back to the office quickly. I’ll just send the message to the unnies.”

A wider smile was seen on Yujin’s face. “See you later at the meeting then.”

Minjoo gave her a sweet nod. “See you later.”

Yujin sent Minjoo by the elevator, sending her off with a sweet smile. When the elevator door closed, the smile on her face slowly disappeared. Chaewon’s face flashed in her mind again. The awful memory of catching her girlfriend together with her trusted friend kept coming back to her when she saw Chaewon’s face on screen.

She heads back to the office with only one thought in mind–-crushing Kim Chaewon down.



 

 



 

BEING the only one left in the conference room, Joohyun felt a little tense. She wondered what the Chairman would talk about for this band meeting. She was sitting at the right side of the Chairman who was busy checking his mails through his laptop. 

“How is everything going, Director Bae?” The Chairman asked out of the blue. “It has been months since you started working here. How are you dealing with the bad stuff?”

Joohyun took a deep breath, a smile curved up her lips. The Chairman didn’t ask if there was any bad stuff. He was sure there are things that don’t go on how it is expected to move. It’s a normal office environment.

“So far, so good. I believe I have already adapted with my work and my position as well. Most people in the Design Department are very welcoming and supportive. The senior managers support me a lot as well.”

The Chairman smirked, his eyes still fixed on the laptop screen. “‘Most people’, huh?”

“We can’t help it that not all of them support me.” Joohyun answered confidently. “I am younger than most of them. I believe the Chairman knows very well too. Most of the executives aren’t in favour of me being in this position.”

“Of course, I can feel the tension in each meeting.” The man took a sip of his coffee. “But you’re handling it very well. The performance of the Design Department improved a lot as well. I know I didn’t make a mistake for giving you that position. Your father would be really proud.”

Joohyun’s fists clenched at the mention of her father. “Chairman, I am sorry if I will ask this question.”

“Go ahead. Though you didn’t even really ask for my permission.” The man was smiling. This is one of Joohyun’s good points that he actually likes.

The look on Joohyun’s eyes sharpened. “Did you hire me because of my father?”

The man suddenly burst out into laughter which surprised the young director. He pushed his laptop to the side before turning to Joohyun. “Joohyun, dear… No matter how close I was with your father, I won’t just hire someone and put them in a high position just because they are kids of my friends. A lot of people depend on this company for their living. I can’t risk it’s future just because I want to do a friend a favour.”

Joohyun’s fists loosened. “I am sorry for suddenly asking you about this, Chairman.”

“It’s fine. Though I am a little bit surprised. You never doubt what you can do, Joohyun-ah.” The man rested his head on the back of his palm. “Did something happen that affected your self confidence?”

“No, Chairman.” Joohyun lied, also amazed how Chairman Kim managed to notice very quickly. He isn’t the top of the company for nothing. She won’t deny that being dumped like that by her ex-boyfriend took quite a blow in her confidence. “This has been in my mind for quite a while. I just really wanted to make sure.”

“Oh, dear… I do feel really bad about what happened to your father but I also know how to look at skills and talent. I’ve seen one of the biggest potentials I’ve ever seen in my life in you, Joohyun. As a businessman, I just did what is rightful.”

Joohyun’s heart was at ease. “Thank you for the trust, Chairman.”

The man just smiled at her before going back to his coffee. “Let me know if you already have thoughts of marriage. I know a lot of good candidates for you.”

The young director was taken aback a bit. “I-I will let you know once I have already put my head into marriage.”

The Chairman laughed. “Don’t tell me there’s actually already someone in your heart?”

Joohyun was about to answer ‘There was.’ pertaining to her ex-boyfriend but a certain someone’s face suddenly flashed in her mind for a split second. It was quick but the confusion it gave her was intense.

“T-There’s none…” Joohyun finally answered, though still confused. She then jerked to her seat when there was a knock on the door.

“Chairman, the band members and Yoo-jooim have already arrived.” It was Minjoo.

“Let’s continue this talk next time.” The Chairman told Joohyun with a warm smile before turning to the door. “Let them in. You also come in, Secretary Kim.”

The members of the band came in together with Minjoo and Jimin but Joohyun’s eyes were clearly on one person. They all gave the Chairman a greeting and a bow. They were asked by the Chairman to take a seat and Seulgi, very naturally, took the seat beside Joohyun.

“Good morning.” Seulgi whispered to her. Joohyun suddenly felt butterflies in her stomach. She just gave Seulgi a nonchalant nod and didn’t greet her back in the same fashion. All she knew was her heart beating like crazy.

‘Are you crazy, Bae Joohyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter