Track #29

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

ROUND 4 of the competition has just ended and it seems like the Overtime Band will be going to the finals for many obvious reasons. Round 4 was a test of popularity. Since the show is technically a survival program, the producers and writers of the show thought it would be a good way to apply the guerilla live concept that most groups formed through similar shows did. 

It’s just that they didn’t think that the Overtime Band would be so big.

During this round, the remaining bands were asked to pick a venue via lottery. The leaders picked numbers that corresponded to a certain venue. Despite being the first placer at the last round, the only benefit that the Overtime Band received was being the first one to pick a number… which actually didn’t end well. 

All the venues were outdoors, most were on popular busking spots but what Seungwan picked was a university soccer field… with the university placed on top of a hill. Despite the challenge of setting up all the equipment, the company sent them manpower which helped them move all the amplifiers, the keyboard and the drumset. The only thing they weren't allowed to do is to hire expert sound technicians. 

Seulgi designed them a poster which Jimin posted in their SNS. Joohyun also asked for permission from their Chairman and the show organisers about making their own YT channel. They were immediately given a go signal but to be fair to other teams, everyone was told to set up their own accounts. 

All the SNS accounts were established at 12 midnight of the same day when the guerilla live would be held. During the day, the members all went to different hot places in Seoul to give out flyers. Yujin went with Minjoo, Minjeong went with Jimin, Seungwan went Ryujin while Seulgi was accompanied by Joohyun. 

The camera men following them were really surprised on how they were being recognised in the streets. What stunned the team even more was how Seulgi took all the attention on her when she went to Hongdae. Another band was actually nearby but they all just sat on the pavement after seeing what seemed to be a fanmeeting when Seulgi was just giving out flyers. 

People were already pushing each other, that's why the authorities in the area had to meddle. Seulgi was given ten minutes to speak on a little stage with a megaphone before she was asked to leave the place. 

Despite looking really nervous, Seulgi managed to speak in front of those people with Joohyun proudly supporting her at the back. The two went back to the venue to check the setup but they were already seeing people camping outside of the campus. 

When the other members came back, they proceeded with the soundcheck and clips of the school grounds with the music being held in the background were uploaded in different SNS platforms, helping them to invite more people. 

Minjoo’s special talent saved them a lot during that round. She was the one who set up all the sound levels just by ear. The judges were all in awe to find that the girl doesn’t have any licence in the field at all. She did all the mixing just by trusting her ears.

It was wild. Their guerilla live garnered the most people despite performing on top of a hill. It looked like they were having a school festival since a lot of young people also came. They performed the songs they used in the competition plus one new song in which they will be judged. 

They chose Day 6’s [Time of Our Life] which was very fitting for what happened. It felt like a little concert and it was evident that they enjoyed that time of their lives. The fans even chanted for an encore in which they performed Buzz’s [Journey for Myself]. It seemed like that song became their encore song. 

With just the aerial view of their live, no one would doubt that they would be heading to the finals. 

After everything was finished, with their amplifiers and other equipment back to their practice room, the band had dinner with their helpers before calling it a day. Seulgi looked at her phone before letting out a sigh.

“There’s still no call, huh? Is this her way of getting rid of me?” Seulgi murmured to herself as she got out of the restaurant. “I guess that’s it… but how should I return the car to her? I shouldn’t have accepted it in the first place…”

“Are you talking to yourself?” 

Seulgi twitched after being surprised by Joohyun. The girl was actually waiting for her outside. Seulgi looked around to make sure that all their helpers were already gone before she approached Joohyun.

“I told you not to drink a lot, right?” She whispered into Joohyun’s ear which only made the girl giggle. The young director held her by the hands and tiptoed before placing a quick kiss on her lips. Seulgi felt dry up. Her head quickly looked around again just in case someone actually saw them. “D-Director, we’re still outside…”

“Then let’s go home.” Joohyun said in between giggles. “Drive me home, Seulgi~”

The bassist let out a sigh before softly pinching Joohyun on the cheek. “Is this why I wasn’t allowed to drink alcohol?” Seulgi chuckled. Joohyun passed an alcohol ban to the band members just to be sure that they won’t be causing accidents. They are only allowed to drink inside their homes or when they are gathered in Joohyun’s house. But the maker of the law was completely excused from it. 

“Let’s go home, Director.”

Seulgi didn’t bother about her car and just drove Joohyun’s car. She will be going back to the dorms anyway and Joohyun would need her car to go to work on Monday. When they arrived at Joohyun’s apartment, the girl was already asleep. Seulgi had to wake her up and guide her to her room.

Seulgi’s eyes were busy looking around just in case her brother was somewhere in the shadows. She also asked Joohyun to change the passcode of her door lock just to be sure. The young director actually liked the idea and changed it with the date they became an official couple.

“Director…” Seulgi called at the girl who was starting to become one with her couch. Since she’s in Joohyun’s home, she popped herself a can of beer. She was really itching for alcohol ever since the dinner. “You have to wash up first before you sleep. Also, don’t sleep on the couch, I won’t be carrying you to your bed.”

“Seulgi…” Joohyun groaned as she reached out to the other girl. “We’re already home, you can call me Joohyunie again…”

The younger girl let out a cute smile. “Joohyunie…”

Joohyun opened her eyes a bit before a satisfied smile curved up her lips. “Yes, Seulgi~?”

“If you don’t brush your teeth right now then I won’t kiss you.”

Seulgi almost burst into laughter when Joohyun suddenly stood up. The older girl glared at her for a moment before marching towards her room.

“So cute…” Seulgi placed her hand by her chest before clenching her shirt. “My girlfriend is so cute, my goodness!”

The girl drank more of her beer to somehow calm herself but she still jerked when Joohyun’s door flung open and presented a freshly showered Joohyun. The said girl skipped her way to Seulgi before standing in front of the bassist. 

“Done~” Joohyun cheerfully said while presenting herself. Seulgi stood up from her seat and Joohyun automatically clung to her. “You can now kiss me~”

Seulgi just smiled before caressing her hair that was still a little wet. “Not yet, I haven’t brushed my teeth yet.”

The smile on Joohyun’s face was then replaced with a pout. “I don’t care though…”

“I care.” Seulgi pulled her in a hug. “Do you know how much I ate earlier? I also just finished a can of beer. I smell…”

“Seulgi…” Joohyun continued whining like a little kid, tightening her hug to Seulgi. “When was the last time we kissed? Are you intentionally avoiding intimacy?”

That’s true. The last they kissed was when they became official and it has been two weeks since then. Whenever Joohyun would initiate intimacy, Seulgi would find ways to avoid it. The younger girl would always have an excuse. 

“It’s not like that, Joohyun…” Seulgi cupped the girl’s face and snickered at those squished cheeks.

“Then what is it? What’s making you avoid my kisses? Am I a bad kisser?”

“Of course not.” Seulgi tilted her head to the side. “I told you already, I love the way you taste.”

“Then why are you avoiding my kisses then?” Joohyun continued sulking which made Seulgi’s heart race even more. “You are clearly avoiding me!”

The bassist snickered in the cuteness. “Alright then. I’ll just wash up. Wait for me in your room.”

Joohyun’s tipsy eyes widened again. “For real?”

Seulgi’s lips curved into a mischievous sneer. “Don’t fall asleep, okay?”

“Okay~” Joohyun then pushed Seulgi towards the restroom that she uses before running back to her bedroom. Seulgi just shook her head at the silliness of her girlfriend.

Seulgi hurriedly took a shower. Though the water was comforting, she did her best not to stay any longer or else her thoughts would be distracted again. She quickly dried herself and brushed her teeth before rushing out of the bathroom only to find her clingy girlfriend already in deep sleep back in her room.

“You must be really tired.” Seulgi whispered to herself while looking at Joohyun. She sat on the side of the bed and closed her eyes a bit. “I’m so tired too.”

With everything that happened the whole day who wouldn’t be tired? They’ve been up since 4AM which means they only got four hours of sleep after the launch of their YT channels.

They’ve been going up and down that hill campaigning and setting up their equipment. It wasn’t just her body that was tired, she is a huge introvert and dealing with all those social interactions surely exhausted her as well.

“Let’s just sleep, Seulgi.” She told herself before looking at her sleeping girlfriend. “I’ll be on the couch if you need me, Joohyun. Good night.”

She gave her a soft kiss on the forehead before going out of her room. She could already feel her eyelids giving up when her phone suddenly rang. Her heart suddenly raced when she saw who the caller was.

“Unnie?” Was the first thing she said when she answered the call. “Is there—“

“Come over.”

“But—“

Seulgi looked at her phone with disbelief after Taeyeon ended the call just like that. She tried to dial back but the lady wasn’t answering so she tried to tell her the situation at the very least through a message but Taeyeon wasn’t buying anything. Most probably, telling Taeyeon that she’s with Joohyun made the singer even more firm of having her come over. 

“I have to end everything between us anyway. Might as well just do it now.”

Despite how exhausted she was, Seulgi decided to go and meet Taeyeon. She quickly searched for a note to leave Joohyun. She did send her a message just in case she won’t see the note. Seulgi then spent another twenty minutes in a taxi back to the company just to get her car. 

She had already decided. She has to end everything properly with Taeyeon so that she can confidently and comfortably date Joohyun. She knew Taeyeon doesn’t have any romantic feelings for her but she still believes that putting a proper end to everything would help her move forward.

When she arrived at the singer’s flat, she was surprised at how she was pulled inside and was attacked with aggressive kisses. Seulgi tried to push Taeyeon away but the singer didn’t let her go away and got her pinned on the wall. 

“U-Unnie…” Seulgi called as she tried to push Taeyeon away. She knew she wasn’t that weak but she couldn’t push the other girl away. She was that tired. “D-Did you drink?”

“A little~” Taeyeon chuckled. Seulgi just sighed, she couldn’t believe she’d also be dealing with another drunk woman. “My heart is aching, that's why I drank. Can you help clear Unnie’s mind?” Taeyeon was actually referring to how Seulgi’s pictures with Joohyun flooded her feed again.

Seulgi was pained with that question. Just as expected, Taeyeon would only call her when she’s in need of temporary heat that would clear her mind. Seulgi was already used to it but she couldn’t help but to be hurt. “S-Sorry, Unnie… I didn’t come here to play—”

“Then what?” Taeyeon glared at her. “What did you come here for? You know well why I called you, baby~ There’s no other reason.”

The singer was about to kiss the bassist but the latter was quick to evade. “Seulgi?”

The heaviness of Seulgi’s heart was evident in her eyes and Taeyeon’s heart shattered knowing what that gaze meant. “Why…?” Taeyeon forced a chuckle. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Seulgi lowered her head. “Unnie… I’m already going out with Director Bae…” Seulgi gave her best to look at Taeyeon straight to the eyes. “I want to establish a proper relationship with her.”

“Huh?” Taeyeon scoffed as she stepped back. “What are you talking about? That girl hurt—”

“I am in love with her, Unnie.”

Taeyeon’s brows twitched, she was completely confused. She didn’t know if she had to laugh or she had to frown. “Love?”

“Yes, Unnie…” Seulgi then held Taeyeon’s hand only to place the car key on the singer’s palm. “I’m sorry… I am grateful for everything but I can’t continue playing with you anymore…”

Taeyeon wasn’t able to answer Seulgi. The bassist didn’t expect that ending a relationship like this would actually hurt. She’s indeed thankful to Taeyeon for a lot of things. She was there during the time that she was deep in the ground. Despite knowing that Taeyeon was only using her for what she could give and using her heart break to take her to bed, Seulgi was still thankful for the company.

The singer saw a lot of potential in her, not just in that aspect. Taeyeon praised her bass guitar skills. She was not thrifty in telling Seulgi how beautiful she was. She also believes in how Seulgi should be a singer, she believes that she belongs on the stage and is even willing to place her there. 

At times she thought it wouldn't be bad to be with Taeyeon but there’s no way the singer would actually be serious about her. She knew that there’s no way the two of them will be a proper couple not just because Taeyeon only wanted to play but also because Seulgi’s heart absolutely belongs to someone else. 

Seulgi swallowed the lump in . “Thank you for everything, Unnie… I’ll… get going.”

The younger girl was about to go but Taeyeon unexpectedly held her by the wrist. Seulgi closed her eyes, she’s just really, really exhausted. “Unnie…”

“Stay the night, Seulgi.” Seulgi turned back to Taeyeon only to be shocked to see those misty eyes. “At least, before we end all of this… Spend the night with me…”

“I can’t…” Seulgi gently pushed her hand away. “I’m already dating Director Bae, Unnie. I don’t want to hurt her anymore. I want to properly face her.”

Taeyeon swatted her hand only to hold her by her shirt this time. “I promise I won’t do anything… We’ll just sleep, that’s all. Just consider this as a parting gift for me…”

“Unnie…” Seulgi lowered her head once more only for Taeyeon to catch her and caress her face. 

“Look at you… You look so tired.” She then cupped Seulgi’s face with two hands. “Just spend the night here then leave when you already get your energy back. That’s my last request from you.”

Worry filled Seulgi’s heart when she saw a tear roll down Taeyeon’s eyes. She wasn’t sure about the meaning of that tear but there’s one thing that she knew well—she established a connection with the woman in front of her and it wasn’t that easy to cut it.

But this is for the best… For the future with Joohyun… To be with Joohyun… The person she loves the most. 

“Alright…” Seulgi nodded her head. “I’ll stay, just for this night… The last night…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter