Track #25

Overtime Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“WHO?” Seulgi asked the lady who still hasn’t let go of her hand. The woman just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. When Hyunmi finally let go of her, she literally felt the sudden rush of blood in her hand.

“Forget about it.” Hyunmi said while giving Joohyun a meaningful look. She knew her daughter would be in a mess if Seulgi finds out that she shared the truth about Seulgi’s identity to her. Surely, being told that she resembles Kang Hanna would trigger something. 

“It’s really nice to meet you, Seulgi-ssi. I heard a lot about you from Joohyun.” Hyunmi continued with the teasing. She felt her daughter’s sneaky tap behind her.

“I see…” Seulgi took a glance at Joohyun. “I wonder what she told you about me. I mean, there’s nothing special about me for you to hear a lot…”

“I don’t think that’s the case though?” Hyunmi continued to ignore Joohyun’s continuous call to her. “Would you like to join us for dinner? Let’s discuss about the things that Joohyun told me about you—”

“Omma!” The young director couldn’t help it anymore and made her voice louder. She then pulled Seulgi away from her mother, making the bassist confused and her mother snickering devilishly. It felt nice to see her usually stoic daughter panicking like that.

“K-Kang-daeri!” Joohyun finally called. “Why are you looking for me? Is there something going on?”

Seulgi took another look at Joohyun’s mother who immediately stopped with her snickers when she felt Seulgi’s stare upon her. “Uhm… I didn’t see you with Jimin and Minjoo and I got curious. Also, those rascals were playing a prank on me. When I asked them where you were, they answered me with “Who is Director Bae? We don’t know any Director Bae.” so yeah…”

Joohyun wanted to laugh at the silliness of the band but she could see that Seulgi did run just to look for her. She was panting earlier and she could see traces of sweat by her forehead. She wanted to think that Seulgi was really worried for her so she took it as a chance. 

“‘So, you looked for me because you thought I disappeared or something?” Joohyun asked with a playful smile. Seulgi looked innocently at her before leaning a bit towards her. The bassist then whispered. 

“No, I was looking for you because I am worried you might misunderstand what happened earlier.” 

Joohyun knew already about what Seulgi was talking about but she chose to play innocent. “W-What do you mean?”

“You know… Our eyes met during the time that I was singing, right?” Seulgi continued to whisper. “I hope you don’t misunderstand. The lyrics of the song are a bit weird… I don’t have any plans of doing that.”

🎵Ah, ah, again to you… I will come back…🎶

 

Joohyun felt her heart sink. She actually thought that her Teddy Bear was back during that moment but why is she facing the Wolf again? The young director tried to play it cool and forced a laugh. 

“Is that so?” She smiled at Seulgi even though her heart was already forming a river of tears. “Let’s see how long you will be able to hold on. There are things that we try to bury but so strong for it to surface subconsciously. I believe what happened earlier is proof that somewhere deep inside of you, you still have feelings for me.”

Seulgi just stared at Joohyun, her face showing no emotion at all. “Sometimes your confidence is really annoying, Director Bae.”

“Really?” Joohyun snickered. “Would you like to silence me with a—”

A vibrating sound was suddenly heard, completely destroying the mood. Seulgi took her phone out and saw that it was Taeyeon calling her. Even Joohyun saw it. 

“Excuse me, Director. I have to answer this.” Seulgi turned around but Joohyun remained looking at her. She didn’t even move from her place so she could listen. When Seulgi’s head moved to face wherever Taeyeon is, Joohyun also did the same and there she saw that the singer’s eyes were actually on them.

“Of course not. We’re just discussing something.” Joohyun heard Seulgi say in between chuckles while her eyes were still fixed on Taeyeon. The singer didn’t look happy at all. 

“Do you have plans for tonight?” Taeyeon asked subtly, not wanting to give the other judges any idea who she was talking with. “Let’s meet up, I want to discuss something with you.”

“Ah…” Seulgi smiled while looking at Taeyeon. “I guess it’s the time for some recharge, huh? I don’t have anything to do tonight. I can go meet you up.”

Joohyun couldn’t help but to frown. This just means Seulgi would be turning down her mother’s invitation. She couldn’t blame Seulgi for it at all since she interrupted before she could even give an answer to her mother. She witnessed how Taeyeon’s lips curved into a smile. She saw her lips moved and Seulgi turned to her right after.

“Grumpy bunny?” Seulgi repeated what Taeyeon said and then came into realisation. “Ah~ Her mother actually asked me to have dinner with them… No, it’s okay… She pulled me away before I could even answer… Yeah, I don’t think she likes the idea of me joining them…”

Seulgi looked at Joohyun again who was red in embarrassment. “Nah… I guess it’s just really weird behaviour of hers. She’d say she didn’t like it but changes her mind when someone else picks it up… Right… Really complicated.”

A cue from the staff said that the next performance would start soon. Taeyeon had to end her call and Seulgi had to go back to their waiting room. “See you later then.”

The bassist then turned to Joohyun and just smiled at her as if she didn’t blatantly speak like that in front of her. “Let’s go back, Director.”

Joohyun just stayed silent. Seulgi went to Joohyun’s mother and politely turned down the dinner invitation. Hyunmi just smiled and told Seulgi that she’ll be waiting for the day that they can have a meal together. Seulgi, on the other hand, thinking that it was just greeting (because Koreans usually greet people with ‘Let’s have a meal next time’ but doesn’t actually mean it), just said okay and went back.

Hyunmi witnessed in real time how this Kang Seulgi affects her daughter. She looked really happy just a while ago but Hyunmi could see that the phone call that Seulgi received was the cause of the disappearance of the smile from Joohyun’s face. She didn’t hear anything but looking at how Seulgi looked at Joohyun earlier, she believed the bassist said something that stung.

“I’ll go back to our room now, Omma.” Joohyun said weakly. “I don’t think I can go home with you today since we still have to bring the instruments back to the company and it’s still work day tomorrow.”

“It’s fine, dear.” Her mum pulled her into a hug before whispering. “But I didn’t remember raising you up like a wimp. How come you missed the opportunity I just made for you?”

Joohyun felt goosebumps run down her spine. Her mother gave her a meaningful smile before tapping her cheeks. “I believe that call made her turn down my invitation but if you weren’t such a coward earlier then we could’ve already booked the deal.”

The young director couldn’t even look at her mother. It was a pain to see her in her fangirl mode but it was more scary to see her in her serious mode. She couldn’t believe that her mother would be this invested in her love life. Or was her mother really like this when it comes to love?

“What were you embarrassed about? Will it be better for you to save yourself from embarrassment than losing the person that you like? Think about it, dear.” Hyunmi looked back and her eyes sparkled when she saw that the banner she threw away was still there. She hurriedly picked it up and dusted it. “I’ll be heading back to the office now, Joohyunie. All of the Overtime Band performances are done, right?”

Hyunmi sent a message to her driver before looking back at her stunned daughter. “Next time I’ll just ask Seulgi-ssi to have a meal with just the two of us. I am sure she would love to hear stories about her mother. I am convinced my daughter doesn’t need my help with her love life. See you around, Joohyunie~”

Joohyun could only watch her mother walk away and disappear from her sight. She suddenly felt relieved when she’s finally gone but her heartbeat was still rampaging. 

“Omma is really scary at times. Of course, she’d be disappointed. She was there opening a chance for me.” Joohyun could just sigh. She looked back at Taeyeon’s way and was surprised to see that the singer was still looking in her direction. Joohyun just smiled at her before going backstage.

“‘I don’t do romance’, my !” Joohyun smiled foolishly at herself. “I thought I would be straight my whole life but what happened to me? You’re also in a downward spiral, Ms. Nation’s Singer.”

Joohyun’s walking speed slowly accelerated. “I should do something… I need to think about my approach again.”



 

 



 

SEULGI was already preparing to go to practice when a certain intern approached her on her desk. The assistant manager just looked at Yerim who was staring at her with those round, determined eyes.

“Is theeeere anything that I can do for you?” Seulgi asked while taking a peek of the time. “I am sorry but I am not accepting any work now.”

“I am not here to tell you to work! I am not even your superior!” Yerim hissed at her but quite enough for others not to hear. 

“Then, what is it that you want?” Seulgi sighed as she carried her sling bag. “You have to hurry though, we have practice.”

“Even on a Friday?” Yerim asked, which was answered by Seulgi with a nod. “You guys practise even if Director Bae isn’t here?”

“Well, yeah?” Seulgi answered with an eyebrow raised. “Director Bae isn’t here?”

Yerim scoffed. “You didn’t know? I thought you’d be the one to know first since you’re like, you know…” Yerim raised her hand with two fingers forming a V before sticking the two fingers together. “Close close? Why does it seem like you were the last one to know about this?”

“I don’t really care though.” Seulgi shrugged her shoulders.

“Even if she’s going to drink with the other executives? You know well that she’s the only woman in that line up.” Yerim continued to ask her in a challenging tone. Her smile widened when she saw Seulgi stiffened for a second. She could see that she’s affected but was putting a very good act to cover to hide her true feelings.

“I can’t help it if she chose to have a drink while we are left in the company to practise.” Seulgi then grabbed her phone and put it in her pocket. “I have to go now—”

“W-W-Wait, Daeri-nim!” Yerim literally stopped Seulgi from leaving by spreading her arms and legs out to block her way. 

“Yes, Yerim-ssi?” The bassist was obviously losing her patience. Her shoulders dropped.

“U-Uhm… Why didn’t you respond to my text? I am asking if you’re free next weekend.”

“I am not free.” Seulgi lazily answered. “I have to go somewhere.”

“Don’t tell me you’re going to that game convention?” Yerim asked with her eyes sparkling.

Seulgi’s eyebrows shot upwards. “How did you know?” 

Yerim frowned for a bit before her eyes landed on Seulgi's table that’s filled with goods related to her favourite game. “Well… I guess it isn’t very obvious… But yeah, I was actually going to ask you to go to that convention together—”

“Hm, I guess I won’t be going anymore~” Seulgi turned around to exit on the other way. The person sitting beside her already emptied their seat anyway. She can just pass through with ease. But Yerim won’t give up just like that. She hurriedly went to the other side to block Seulgi’s way again. Shin-chajang could see them but chose to just ignore them. He grabbed his suitcase and left without even saying goodbye to the two.

“Why are you not going anymore!?” Yerim asked, her eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. “That is your favourite game, right!?”

“I won’t be going if I will be forced to go with you.” Seulgi monotonously answered. “Conventions like that should be enjoyed by people who really like the game. I want to enjoy the convention but if I will go with someone who knows nothing about it and I will be stuck to see how they make weird expressions because they understand nothing and obviously not enjoying it, it will be like punishment for me.”

“B-But—”

“I’d rather go myself. If you want to go then just go alone or invite your selected friends. Why do you have to drag me?”

Yerim’s jaw dropped at Seulgi’s harsh coldness as if she was a sabertooth from Siberia. Her shoulders also dropped as she looked at Seulgi with those questioning eyes. “What happened to you, for real? Why are you being this mean?”

“Mean?” Seulgi’s eyebrows twitched. “Just because I turned your invitation down then I am already mean? Can’t it be that I am just thinking of my own good?”

“Can’t you just do it kindly? Do you really have to—”

“Are you really telling that to me, Yerim-ssi? Do you remember the things you did to me?” 

Yerim wasn’t able to answer Seulgi. She still couldn’t believe that the shy and kind (yet hot) senior that she admires turned into someone like this. But she couldn’t counter her at all. She knew how mean she was with her at their first meeting. It was actually a miracle that Seulgi still treated her kindly after that disastrous first encounter.

But still, the spoiled brat is a spoiled brat. She sat on the floor and just stared at Seulgi. When Seulgi was about to step over her, she lied down to keep her from going. Seulgi felt really exhausted dealing with a chaebol.

“I won’t move here if you don’t agree to go with me.” Yerim said while facing the ceiling.

“Then don’t move.”

“WAAAAHHHHHH—”

All the other employees left on that floor turned to their direction but thankfully, Seulgi was fast enough to duck down and cover Yerim’s loudspeaker of a mouth. “Alright, alright! I will go with you so just shut the hell up!”

Yerim’s eyes sparkled in joy. She held Seulgi’s hand that was covering before sitting up effortlessly. “For real?”

“Yeah, yeah…” Seulgi sighed. “But this is the last time I will go out with you, understand? You have to promise me that Saebyeok will never know about this.”

“I don’t have any plan to tell her anyway~” Yerim chuckled in happiness. She was so overjoyed that she wanted to hug Seulgi but she knew the girl might change her mind if she made advances. “See you at the festival then!”

“Yeah.” Seulgi pulled her hand back. “I hope you go shopping with your mum that day.”

The bassist finally managed to leave and Yerim didn’t dare to follow anymore. She got what she wanted anyway.

“I’m sure she’ll get to like me in that costume!”



 

 



 

“ARE you kidding me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter