~Chapter 7~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV 

A woman with sharp features splashes water onto her face. The droplets slide over her smooth skin and onto the sink below. The eyebags are an indication of deprived sleep. The tousled hair was the indication of tossing and turning over unanswered emails that required eye-sore reading of long-paged documents - only to answer in firm sentences. 

‘Tough times don’t last, tough people do.’ Siyeon chanted to herself as she prepared herself for the day ahead. 

“Arrgh…” She grunts to herself as the cup of coffee slips out of her hand. It spilled thankfully into the sink, the cup barely balancing by the edge. 

‘I’ll get another one later.’ Siyeon assures her sleepy brain, picking up her phone to check the time.

A message notification appears just as she was about to click it off. ‘From Kim Bora’ it read. 

A small but effective distraction for the morning dread of the office worker. She opened it up and a smile forms on her face. 

-Good morning Singnie! I hope you’ve been doing well.- 

-Good morning eonnie..I’ve been doing fine. What about you?- 

The message sits for a couple minutes, and Siyeon passes it by staring at the photos previously sent, a wave of comfort at the memory washing over her tired body. 

-I've been doing good! Though, you sound a little down…are you alright?- 

Siyeon stopped mid-sip. It was scary to her how well Bora read her, through text. 

-Yeah, just the usual..lack of sleep and heavy workload.- 

-I can understand 😫. Try not to overwork during the week! Sleep is precious :)- 

Siyeon laughs to herself, recognising how similar their minds were. 

-I know, I try to do that, I really do, but it's tough.-

-I trust that you try your best. There isn't a point in pushing to get quantity done than quality.- 

Siyeon ponders over her reply. 

-You raise a good point…though I don't doubt my abilities when it comes to completing large amounts of work, since it’s what I’ve trained for since my school days. I should really get proper sleep still ㅠㅠ- 

-Yes you should~ I personally can’t do well handling large amounts of work. Hats off if you can do so!-

-Thank you~ Have a good day ahead eonnie- 

-I will, I wish the same for you too~- 

The short conversation gives her a newfound burst of energy, and she jumps out of her chair to take her bag to head to a scheduled conference. She felt better. 

:

“Good morning Siyeon-eonnie,” Handong greets her politely by her seat. “I received your email over the reports, do you need me to check in with the Software department again?” 

“Oh, hello Dong,” Siyeon noticed the thick stack of files Handong was holding with her arms. “Before I answer your question, do you need some help with the files?” Siyeon immediately got up to assist the blonde-haired Supervisor. 

Handong dismissed her help by swiftly twisting her body away, perfectly balancing all the files still. 

“Woah there,” Their heads turn as CEO JiU enters the room. “Do you need help with the files?” JiU immediately sets down her briefcase to be of assistance as Siyeon had done.

“Good morning boss, thank you for offering so, but I do not need help with the files. I need to drop these off -” Handong sets two files down on the table which were necessary for the conference. “And I needed to clarify something with Siyeon-eonnie.” She turns to Siyeon with a patient gaze. 

“Uh,” Siyeon briefly forgot her question, then remembered. “It’s okay, I will contact them later myself.” 

“Understood, thank you~” Handong bows to both of them before taking her leave. JiU and Siyeon stare at each other in shock. 

“Is it just me, or is this the first time I see how strong she actually is?”JiU sounded sceptical herself, as if she couldn’t believe her eyes. 

“I agree.” Siyeon blinks twice in amazement. “I’ve carried lots of files in my time and I’ve never seen anyone carry that amount so effortlessly and…painlessly.” 

“Exactly.” JiU slid into the seat next to Siyeon.

“By the way…when are you asking Bora out on a second date?” 

Siyeon was a little thrown off-guard by the question, and the mention of the woman’s name made the short conversation form this morning resurface in her mind.

“I don’t know.” She answered truthfully. 

“Why not today.” JiU phrased it as a question, but really meant it as a command of advice. 

“I guess I can.” Siyeon had been thinking about it after Yokji Island, which was last weekend. Though she didn't quite have the time to do so the past few days. 

Actually, that was a lie. She just didn’t have the courage. 

“Si, it’s Thursday. You’re both only free on weekends. Do it.” JiU delivered a firm line, and Siyeon tried to distract herself by adjusting her hair, which kept tickling her furrowed brows. 

“I guess I could ask her during lunch time..” Siyeon trails off as new footsteps rush in, indicating the beginning of a hour-long, monotonous meeting. 

JiU only nods and pats her shoulder as a wish of good luck. 

“Good morning everyone,” JiU took her stand in front of the table, resuming the mode of a boss. “In today's conference we will be discussing our current customer which expressed concerns over the…” Siyeon opened the file in front of her, the information rising to the front of her brain and was ready to pour out of if she was required to add or explain points. 

“My team have gone through the program thoroughly and have done dozens of stimulations with the system. We believe that there could possibly be an issue in their system.” The leader of the software team objected, their faces weary in stress and fatigue. JiU sees that they have been intensively trying to find a solution… 

“I see your point. I have an evaluation file of their system and it is perfectly capable of handling our software, but there may be a flaw that only appeared recently. I will reach out to them again for a second evaluation. Software may resume work.” 

The words ‘resume work’ was the cue that the Software Team could leave the room, and JiU dropped a few words to the team leader with a pat on the back, whose face expressed relief. 

“Siyeon,” JiU called her assistant over, “Please display the statistics of recent marketing progress…” Siyeon’s fingers fly across the keyboard, “and I shall have the marketing team explain what the small problem is.” JiU fixes her gaze on a group of seven that were basically peeing their pants in fear at the moment. 

Tension builds as silence settles. JiU narrows her eyes at their hesitation, frowning to keep herself intact. She uses the slide remote to point a laser at a young employee, who was practically a fresh graduate.

“You.” She commands, with a tone that leaves no room for argument, “Explain now.” She dragged out the word ‘now’ for extra measure. 

“U-uh..” The young chap stutters, and Siyeon inwardly shakes her head, knowing that JiU may just- 

“Uh what?? Do you have a gun to your head? Quickly explain why our position in the market is dropping faster than a diabetic’s blood pressure!”

That was also a thing about an angry JiU. When she is irritated at least, she makes not the most appropriate analogies at times.

Siyeon had to stifle a laugh at that one. 

The humorous analogy doesn’t faze the scared seven. The young chap continues to stammer, a trembling hand coming up to adjust his slipping glasses. “We-we may have accidentally taken a different approach to the company’s marketing scheme…” 

JiU’s brows fly to the roof in disbelief. “Are you guys doing trial and error marketing? There is a standard marketing scheme for a reason.” She remains deadly calm, “And how have I not known about the different approaches you have been taking?” She side-glances at Siyeon when saying the word ‘known’. Siyeon shakes her head. 

The seven are frozen in place, glancing at each other in confusion. One of them breaks it with an accusation. 

“Minseo was in charge of informing Ms Lee first, not me.”

The guy named Minseo looks at the same young chap and accuses him. Which in turn, resulted in accusations being thrown back and forth. The supposedly mature discussion turned into a day at the zoo, with the seven bickering like monkeys. 

If there were zookeepers in the scene, Siyeon and JiU were responsible for that role. Though it seemed that JiU was disappointed to the point that she removed her blazer jacket. ‘Uh-oh’ Siyeon mumbles to herself. JiU removing her blazer sets off an alarm. There was no turning back now… 

She slams her hand on the table to grab their attention. The seven are immediately at attention like soldiers. JiU clenches her jaw tight as she examines face to face. “If you guys want to put the blame on each other like children then you may exit there,” JiU motions to the window. A twist on the classic ‘door’ motion but JiU style.

“Everyone in this room knows it’s a waste of time to be arguing. So either one of you speaks for the whole team, or all seven of you say goodbye to career opportunities.”

The woman does not play, eyes expressing that she meant every word. In the end, the first accuser stands up to ‘take one for the team’.

Siyeon slowly smiles as each team member collectively adds their own confessions, all seven apologising in unison. JiU still doesn’t say a thing expecting more. An obvious next step, apologise to each other. But it seemed that the seven were clueless of that. Siyeon caught the wavering eyes of one member, using hand signs to explain what they had to do. 

One by one, apologies are tossed around, and JiU nods in satisfaction. “Thankfully, not much damage had been caused,” She concludes about 20 sentences too late,

“Please do confide in Siyeon and I before you take such drastic, even accidental actions. I would like to encourage you all to trial and error with the scheme, as there is always room for improvement and creativity. But it is very stupid to go through a marketing plan without excessive review.” JiU takes on a more friendlier tone, facial muscles relaxing as she sits back on the poor chair that had received an angry horse kick.

She turns to the head manager of the team. “If this ever happens again, you will be the only one saying goodbye.” 

The head manager gulps nervously, nodding furiously. Siyeon made a mental note to keep an eye on the manager. If she wasn’t mistaken, she had heard of a couple complaints about how the manager was the type to set rules, but not follow it themselves. 

JiU dismissed them and sipped her coffee as feet shuffled out of the room. “What time is it?” 

“10.40am.” Siyeon replies robotically. “Your next meeting is at TTA. You will be meeting their supervisor.”

Siyeon doesn’t have to elaborate to check whether or not JiU understood who, where or when. It wasn’t the first time they were meeting the arrogant supervisor.

“Ugh,” JiU complains, “I wish I could erase that disgusting smirk off his face permanently.” She shudders. 

Siyeon doesn’t hold back her chuckle as they were alone in the room. She gets up to clean up the table, which didn’t require much effort, “It is necessary eonnie,” She takes the empty coffee cup from JiU’s hand and places an order on her phone for another one.

“They are one step ahead of us with global expansion. They are possibly a free ride to Europe.” Siyeon was calculative. 

“That is true.” JiU takes her briefcase. “Tell Handong if she would like a more efficient way of transporting all the files. She has been working hard.”

Siyeon smiles knowingly. Hearing that you’re working hard from CEO JiU is the highest compliment you can get. Nonetheless, the assistant agrees, noting it quickly in her agenda. 

“I’ll see you at 2,” JiU gives Siyeon a soft grin, “Good luck with Bora, I’m rooting for the two of you.” 

Siyeon picks up the files with a blush, completely forgetting about that plan. It was about to be as real as she had stimulated the conversation in her head. 

In many different scenarios of course. 

-Lunch time-

While most office workers @Mintech were out to grab a coffee and pastry set or a nutritious bento box, Siyeon was trying to piece it together mentally as she paced up and down her office. She had to leave soon otherwise she’ll miss the window of a precious opportunity. In the worst case scenario, she’d do it through text, but it had to take a lot for her to resort to that. She really preferred in-person talking but for some reason, she lacked confidence when it came to Bora. 

Handong walked in to drop off more file reports, catching Siyeon pacing back and forth. She halts by the door.

Siyeon stops mid-step in her presence. “Dong, hey. Come in please, I was just uh thinking about something.” Her tone was somewhat troubled. 

Handong nods obediently without question. “If you need anyone to talk to, I am always available.” She bows before leaving the room. 

A switch is flipped on in Siyeon’s brain with Handong’s assuring words. She heads to the door minutes after Handong’s absence, heading to the ever important destination. 

-At the library- 

Siyeon approaches an unaware Sua who sat behind her computer, hard at work. 

‘Hm, seems like she has a different break time than me…’ She wonders if now was the right time... 

“How may I help you today?” Sua’s eyes stay on her screen, habitually even as she attends to visitors.

“May I have your Sunday?” 

Sua immediately looks up at the familiar voice. She sees Siyeon smiling cheekily. 

“Siyeon? What are you doing here??” A surprised but pleasant smile is seen on Sua’s face, a hand flew to .

“Asking you out on a second date of course.” She now wore a bright, but nervous smile.

“Ah well, alright!" Sua was still in her work-zone. 

“Soooo is that a yes or no?” Siyeon wasn't entirely sure.

“A yes.” Sua was quick to approve. She giggles at the relieved look on Siyeon’s face, “Is it lunch break for you now?”

“Yes - now that I’ve got your approval though, I’ll send you the details.” She waves her phone in the air, indicating that they’ll be texting and that she’ll take her leave. 

“Oh okay...wait before you go, have some of these sweets!” Sua opens a drawer to hand Siyeon a couple of her favourite sweets. 

“That’s very sweet of you Bora,” Siyeon makes a pun, resulting in laughter from both of them. “I’ll catch you later.”

“See you Sing-Sing~” Sua waves her goodbye, settling back onto her chair in contentment. ‘I guess she’s feeling better now..’ She thinks back on their morning conversation. 

As she resumed work with a smile, she didn't realise Hongseok and Seulgi were watching her exchange with Siyeon the whole time. 

“You didn't tell me you got a girlfriend!” Hongseok says sounding betrayed, right next to Sua’s right ear. “Not to mention that she’s pretty hot too.”

Sua whipped herself round in confusion.

“Last time I checked you two were friends...y’all progressed quickly!” Seulgi comments to her left.

Sua is caught with a small blush, which extracts cheers from them both. 

“No it’s not like that...we're friends. It's just that we have really good chemistry, and our humour matches well.”

“Wait, you told Seulgi and not me?’ Hongseok felt even more betrayed when he realised Seulgi knew more about Sua and that woman while he knew nothing. 

“Guys please calm down.” Sua shouts in whispers. “I’m only going to say it once. We are just friends and it's simply hanging out.” 

‘Eh, she'll fall sooner or later..’ Seulgi shrugs inwardly. 

“Oooo when and how was the first date then?” Hongseok stressed on the word ‘date’ teasingly. Sua rolled her eyes. 

“Last Saturday, and it was great.” She replied flatly, but her eyes that lit up gave her away. 

Hongseok noticed that small detail and so did Seulgi. He was about to further but Seulgi cut him off, 

“Well I think it’s fantastic that you’ll be meeting her for the second time,” Seulgi pulls Hongseok by the ear back to his seat on her right. “If you need any help for the date, call us!” 

She wrapped her arm tightly around Hongseok’s shoulder to force him to agree, and not tease. Hongseok forced a grin and nodded obediently. 

Sua narrows her eyes at their sudden manners but returns a grin. “Alright. I like to think I am capable of handling myself.” She assures. 

“We believe you.” Seulgi replies, then looks at Hongseok, motioning him to say something. 

“Yeah we could totally pick you up if you ever get too carried away-” Seulgi muffles his mouth with one hand, while pinching his ear with the other. 

“You were supposed to wish her well!” She scolded him. 

“I wished her a ride back home!”

“There was no need for those unnecessary comments then!” 

Sua chuckles to herself as she overheard their bicker. Her mind does linger on a fact that she had just realised. The fact that she easily, so naturally said yes. And that she didn’t give it much thought, even if her mind was occupied with work at that time. Not once in her life would she have thought to encounter such situations, but thankfully they’ve all been enjoyable. She came to the conclusion that a refreshing person like Siyeon was nice to befriend in the long-term.

-Back @MinTech-

Siyeon walks back to the office with a normally beating heart. She smiles to herself as she recalls Bora’s pleasant reactions. Also the fact that Bora was maybe a little eager to keep meeting her. Seeing her smile was all Siyeon really needed. 

“Eonnie!” Handong drops by her office again, this time to bring her coffee. “I’m glad to see that you’re feeling better.”

She sets the coffee on her desk, before picking up the completed files from a designated rack. 

“I am,” Siyeon happily admits, “but I might need some help. Have you got a minute?”

She gets up to get another chair and Handong is now a tad confused but obliges.

“I do.” Handong sits on the given chair, curious as to the sudden look of determination on Siyeon's face.

“I just asked someone out.” Siyeon says bluntly, wanting to see Handong’s reaction first. The 4-year Supervisor could only reply with a raised brow. 

Siyeon smiles sheepishly, “Why is your expression so cute, hahaha~” 

Handong returns a playful smile, “I shall congratulate you eonnie! Do you need help with arrangements or something?” 

Siyeon shakes her head, “I just need you to review my idea of the date..” 

“I’m all ears.” 

“A picnic at Yeouido Hangang Park.” 

“Hm, a picnic is a nice idea, but the park choice is not.” Handong replies thoughtfully, “Only for the reason that there isn’t any open grass field for the picnic. You’d have to sit on concrete steps and have bicycles zoom past mid-bite. The sunset is beautiful though.” 

Siyeon has to laugh at her realistic detail, but takes the chance to reconsider. 

“I think Seoul Forest park is a better idea eonnie.” Handong replied, nodding for self-convinction.

“Ah Seoul Forest!” Siyeon exclaims, “Yeah that's great!”

She hasn't gone to Seoul Forest park as frequently as she remembered but has a memory of that park. It was where JiU lost her beaded bracelet. 

“Yes, so I’d suggest bringing a comfy mat, simple food assortment and you’re ready for a lovely picnic.”

Siyeon notes it in her head, nodding with every word Handong spoke. “Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome. I hope you and your date have a fun time together.” Handong bowed and took Siyeon’s smile as the sign to leave. 

‘The real question now is…’ Siyeon sipped her vanilla latte. ‘What food shall I prepare?”

After running through maybe 50 food options in her brain, she decided to leave that aside for discussion with Bora later. Her phone buzzed. It was JiU. 

alcohol addict🐰: 

-Siyeon-

Siyeon: 

-Yes?- 

alcohol addict🐰: 

-Mind reserving this restaurant for me? _Attached link_- 

Siyeon wondered which client she was meeting this time. It was normal for JiU to request for restaurant bookings 3-4 times a week. 

Siyeon: 

-Sure. Details?- 

It took quite a minute for JiU to reply. Siyeon brushed it off, knowing JiU was still busy. 

alcohol addict🐰: 

-Coming Sunday, 7pm, for 2.- 

Siyeon raised a brow. Not very often did JiU request for dinners on Sunday. And only for 2. She’d usually be drinking or looking for a hook-up. 

Siyeon: 

-Okay, will send you the confirmation email once complete.- 

alcohol addict🐰: 

-Thanks-

Siyeon opened the link attachment and slowly got confused. It was a highly-rated ‘restaurant’, but based on the given photos, a completely different style that JiU would usually request for. Siyeon shrugs to herself and continues work. 

Sua’s POV (but 3rd) 

Team Chyungmyung Library walked into the room with a lit-up cake, singing wishes to Geonwoo in unison: 

“Happy birthday to you, 

Happy birthday to you, 

Happy birthday to Geonwoo~, 

Happy birthday to you!” 

Geonwoo accepted the cake carefully with both hands, his eyes sparking with gratitude behind the lit candles. Heplaces the cake on the table and bows to his colleagues & seniors before making a wish with his hands clasped tightly together. He blew the candles. 

“Whoooo!” Hongseok hyped them up. 

“Happy birthday dummy.” Hyejoo wished half-heartedly, scrolling through her online feed. Sua saw this and swatted her phone away with a stern look. 

“🥳!” Winter and Yeri express their congratulations with birthday props. 

“Happy 19th Geonwoo~” Sua kisses his forehead, hugging him gently. 

“Congratulations~” Seulgi ruffles his hair.

"Congrats bro!" Hongseok bumped his shoulder.

“Enjoy the cake..” Jonghyun wished him well, but the team laughed as their boss looked wistfully at the cake. 

“I shall cut you the first slice,” Geonwoo had perfect manners, “My favourite!” He opened a slice to see the layers of chocolate mousse.

“Of course~” They replied simultaneously. In past instances, Geonwoo always insisted on dessert with chocolate mousse and refused anything else. 

“Can we get the presents nowww?” Winter and Yeri drag out in sync, the wishing traditions too boring for them.

“This kids…” Seulgi flicks their foreheads with quite some strength, “Say something to Geonwoo!”

“Congratulations Geonwoo-ah~~” 

The team moved on to the cutting-cake ceremony, where Geonwoo spent 2 minutes analysing the best way to cut the cake so that everyone had an equal slice. The younger members egged him on while the older members watched their bicker in amusement. Finally, Sua and Jonghyun dealt the slices out in pretty sky-blue plates. 

“Heaven~” Geonwoo says with a mouth full of cake, his cheeks puffing out like a chipmunk’s. Hongseok captured a polaroid-photo in time with that exact expression. 

“I don’t usually like chocolate but this is good.” Hyejoo found herself admitting so. 

Jonghyuk had finished his slice within three bites, a satisfied grin adorning his face. “Man I wish I could have more…” He starts mumbling to himself, “Doctor Lee won’t be happy about that though...” 

“Have my half hyung,” Hongseok offered his cake. “I know you've been pretty strict with your diet. Maybe too strict.”

Jonghyun sighs defeatedly, accepting the extra cake. Hongseok has to laugh at his guilty expression. 

“Sua-eonnie!” Yeri suddenly runs over to the brunette. “Who was the lady that approached you during lunch break? You were smiling really brightly at her.” Yeri exaggerates her observations. 

Sua stops mid-bite, chewing and swallowing quickly. She disliked hiding things from people she was close to, but she wondered if Siyeon minded others knowing about their activities? 

‘She probably doesn't mind..’ Sua thinks. 

“It’s the woman I met before.” She knows it’s enough information. 

“Oooo! What was her name again…Sihyeon? Suwon?” 

“Siyeon is her name.” Sua chuckles, still not admitting everything. 

Though she should have done so, because Yeri only became more inquisitive. “What did she say?” She bounces on her toes enthusiastically. 

Sua pats her head to calm her down, bringing her to sit down as an attempt to contain her energy. “She asked me out on a second date.” 

Yeri squeals in a high-pitched tone that Sua has to muffle to tone it down. She warns her with her eyes. 

“It’s not a big deal Yerimie.” Sua convinces the younger girl, but Yeri’s mind was already far away in another reality. 

“I’m so happy that you found someone you like!” Yeri congratulates Sua suddenly, hugging her tightly but carefully. 

Sua tilts her head in confusion but accepts the hug, patting her back affectionately.

“Please don’t get the idea that we’re having romantic feelings for each other. We’re just…friends.” Sua caught herself when she paused unconsciously in the middle. 

“Ha! You paused! That means you don't think that she is just a friend.” Yeri smugly said. “Alright, she’s a close friend.” Sua retorted. 

Yeri shook her head inwardly, and didn't bother fighting Sua. “Whatever you say.” 

Alas, it was time for opening presents. As expected, Yeri, Winter and Hyejoo ran to get Geonwoo to open theirs first. 

‘wOAh~'' was the initial reaction of the tech nerd, before his jaw dropped to the floor. 

The three girls had gotten him a Ryze Tello Drone. His eyes glimmered in fascination as he examined the image of the drone from the pictures on the box. He was about to open the box but Jonghyun refrained from doing so, knowing the latter would be stuck fixed onto the item for a while. Geonwoo pouted but received the senior’s team gift with gratitude, excited once again. He first opened the cutely-wrapped, fist-sized present. The music box! He immediately removed it from its plastic casing, Jonghyun 10-seconds too late to prevent his immersion. Thankfully, he moved on to open his other present after a minute of Bach. 

“Hey I’ve always wanted one of these!” Geonwoo exclaimed like a kid as he held the mouse up. “I’ll have to install it on my computer right away.” He starts to walk away. Jonghyun pulls him back by his hoodie. 

“What must you do first?” Jonghyun was expectant. 

Geonwoo stops his walk, to talk the talk. “Thank you everyone.” He bows respectfully, before scuttling off with his arms full of presents. 

This time Jonghyun lets him go with an amused smile. 

Sua helped Jonghyun clean up the break room while the rest of the team cleaned up the rest of the library to close for the day. 

“How have you been doing?” Jonghyun asks while folding the chairs to stack neatly in the storeroom.

Sua thinks about it for a second. “Good.” She replies at ease. 

“I’m glad, I haven’t been able to check up on you that much because of the upcoming book festival. Sorry for that.” Jonghyun continues compassionately. “Our yearly break has been shortened due to preparations, but do not hesitate to ask for an extension when necessary.” He took on a more serious tone, which Sua acknowledged. 

“No worries Boss, things have started to get a little hectic in here,” They share a chuckle, “Thank you for caring, I will be sure to reach out to you if I need an extension. As of now, I can still help out.” Sua assures him whole-heartedly. 

In her peripheral vision, Jonghyun nods his head briefly. “Alright.” 

:

-Sua’s home- 

The pregnant woman threw all her laundry into the washing machine with perfect aim. The edges of the clothes barely touch the edges of the machine’s mouth. Came with years of experience, like how it felt to type on the computer, her fingers immediately knew which button to press. She turned the dial to set the timer, slowly standing up to collect her dry laundry, restarting the cycle. 

Then she feels something tremble next to her. She brushes it off, knowing that it’s just the wash machine starting itself up. But then the trembles stop, confusing her for a slight second. Did something go wrong with the machine?

She peers closer to the lit-up buttons, ensuring that the correct ones were activated. They were. The clothes were also spinning. Suddenly, the trembles started again, this time at slightly irregular intervals. 

‘The machine’s working fine…’ Sua was more confused as she rested a hand against the sides of the machine, its vibration felt normal. 

She drops her hand to her thighs then realises where the trembles were coming from. Her phone. A yellow chair nearby is taken quickly as Sua checks what’s going on. 

Singsing☺️: 

-Eonnie, does a picnic Sunday sound good to you?- 

:::

-Sorry for texting at an inconvenient time, I am afraid that until the weekend, work will rid me off external communication.- 

:::

-And is 11am a good time for you?- 

:::

-I will also apologise for my abrupt leave in the afternoon, I did not want to disturb you and your co-workers.-

 -Will we pack food ourselves? Shall I arrange so or would you like to help in arrangement?- 

Sua chuckles to herself for a while, guessing that Siyeon was still in work mode. Her wording was so formal. 

Bora: 

-The time and activity is perfect Siyeon, I love a picnic. I understand why you would be unavailable to reach me at other times, that's no problem. I would love to take part in the food arrangement!- 

She continues with a slightly formal tone in case Siyeon would find it easier to read that way. 

Singsing☺️: 

-Thank you for understanding, will keep you informed over other details. Shall we discuss the food options?- 

Bora: 

-Yes, but may I know where we’ll be going?- 

There was a longer pause in reply. 

Singsing☺️: 

-That shall be kept a secret.- 

Bora: 

-Singnie! 🥺- 

Singsing☺️: 

-Sorry eonnie 🙃- 

Bora: 

-Alright, alright…I guess the unknown is more exciting than the known. As for the food, I would opt to bring Kimbap and Onigiri. Grilled sausages too.- 

Singsing☺️: 

-Great idea. I had thought of stuffed tofu and for dessert, cream rolls. With these five options, I think we’re set.- 

Bora: 

-Yes, we need to have dessert. Though I’d maybe add a fresh fruit assortment.- 

Singsing☺️:

-Of course, I will arrange that too.-

Bora: 

-Sounds good! I’ll see you on Sunday then?- 

Singsing☺️: 

-Yes, I will pick you up.- 

Bora: 

-Okay! See you then 🤚🏼- 

Singsing☺️: 

-See you then Bora 🤚🏼~- 

-

Siyeon's POV (3rd)

“Hello~” The crinkle sound of the phone being picked up was heard. 

“Mom~” Siyeon spoke into her phone, balancing her coffee and files in her arms. 

“Siyeon-ah?” Her lovely mother picked up the phone, voice full of aegyo. “How are you? Are you eating well?” Siyeon chuckles at her starting questions.

“I’m doing great, I just had tteokbokki with colleagues.”

"Oh,” Her mom replies, “Did you eat rice?” Classic mom question. 

Siyeon chuckles. “I think the tteokbokki was made out of rice mom.” 

Siyeon purses her lips in amusement as her mom grumbles under her breath. She did not take tteokbokki as a valid replacement. 

“What're you up to?” Siyeon questions. 

Siyeon hears the familiar rummaging in the background and immediately knows that she’s in the kitchen.

“Um now?...I’m in the kitchen making dinner.” 

Siyeon is amused by her cute intonation. “What food are you making for dinner?” 

“I’m boiling soybean paste now-” 

“Soybean paste?” 

“Yes~ I will steam perilla leaves and eat them with the soybean paste for dinner.” 

“That's totally yummy~” A smile was heard in Siyeon’s voice. 

“Haha~ I know you like it…where are you?” 

“At work.” 

“Work hard then~” 

“Mom, I want to check on you,” Siyeon stated the main purpose, knowing her mom had the flu recently. “and ask for your tofu ball recipe.”

“Ah!” Her mom sounded curious. “My flu is getting better, I received my new medication yesterday. Why would you need my recipe? Aren't you too busy to cook?” Her mother’s curiosity peaked. 

Siyeon fumbles over her thoughts. Would she want to know about Bora? 

“It’s no problem mom,” Siyeon dismissed the thought. “I was just craving your homemade food.”

She follows-up with a bright grin in her tone. “Take your medicine and eat well alright~” 

“Alright~” Her mom thankfully didn't question further. “I will send the recipe to you.” 

“Thank you~” Siyeon bumps a passing colleague’s fist. “ Mom, I’ll call you again later alright?”

“Okay~” 

“Hm~” 

Ref: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1ZVBZmjgs

‘Whew, that’s one dish down…’ Siyeon mentally notes, awaiting for her mother’s message.

She downs the rest of her Americano and perfectly throws it into the dustbin at the corner of her office space. On her desk, she adjusts her family photo frame, mind travelling to the last time she’s seen them. But with the idea of a picnic with Bora coming up, she wondered if Bora had any family by her side too… 

She refocuses by opening her laptop and typing away at the stream of emails. A brow is raised when she receives an advertisement offer for online security. She had to chuckle when it came from their ‘rival’ company. It’s weird for her to think about it knowing that she has acquaintances from that company, and that she occasionally meets up with them when time allowed it. 

Her office phone rang. 

-With Ms Lee- She introduced herself. 

-Good afternoon Ms Lee. I am Park Seokjin, the head manager of SeoulFind. I have spoken to Ms Shin and would like to arrange a meeting with Ms JiU for Sunday evening.- 

-Hello Mr Park, I am able to arrange that in accordance with Ms JiU’s schedule. What will the content of the meeting be?- 

Short silence. 

-A date-

Siyeon immediately facepalmed. Was this manager serious? 

-I will inform her of your suggestion, and get back to you as soon as possible.- Siyeon tried her best to not take on a sarcastic tone, already knowing herself the answer. 

-Thank you Ms Lee, I look forward to your response.- He replies with a sudden 180 of tone. One could practically hear the dumb grin on his face. 

Siyeon purses her lips in disbelief and politely hangs up. It seemed like he wanted to linger for an immediate answer. 

‘JiU-eonnie why am I dealing with this for you…’ Siyeon shook her head, quickly getting up to give her best friend a short visit. It really was short since her office was in an adjacent room.

“CEO JiU,” Siyeon safely called out when she caught the woman reading a couple documents, instead of the usual smartphone calls. 

“Yeah?” She had her jacket draped over her chair, sleeves rolled up till her elbows so as not to smear any ink on the fabric, glasses resting comfortably on her nose as she looked up to respond. “You’ve got some news?” 

“Yes, first of all, I just received confirmation of the meeting with our investors for Friday. They told me through a call to tell you in private so here I am. I will send you the rest of the details soon. Also…” Siyeon trails off as she catches JiU’s lips suddenly twitching into a smile, eyes gazing off into the distant wall. She clearly wasn't paying 100% attention. 

“Also?” JiU’s response brushed off her scepticism. 

Siyeon continues, “The Head Manager of SeoulFind formally asked you out on a date with him.” She was curt, beginning to recite JiU’s repeated response in her head. 

JiU sighs. “Siyeon. How many times have I told you before? I’m only into girls! Do I have to prove that I’m a lesbian? And why can't these men just leave me alone for god sake…” She mumbles off in complaint. 

Siyeon smiles knowingly, gently cutting off JiU’s mumbling with kind words. 

“Alright, I understand, I really do. I know you hate it, but it’s important to maintain good relationships with our clients.” 

JiU only makes a face of disgust. “The company’s doing great without those unnecessary dates.” 

“Think about the time you had a private meeting with Mr Shin from HopRide. A few days later, he offered us a new contract which had our investors funding increase by 10%.” Siyeon persuades. 

JiU only gives her an annoyed look. “Why are you trying to convince me?” 

Siyeon nearly breathes in frustration. “I sent you a file a couple days ago over the recent news of SeoulFind. Do you remember what it’s about?” 

“They’re planning to sell their app software to a company in Europe.” JiU nods, still not connecting the dots.

“And we are part of their app software.” Siyeon throws the bait. 

Realisation hits her. “That'll mean a free ride to Europe.” 

“Yes CEO JiU, you finally understand.” Siyeon says sarcastically, now free to do so. “It will help if you have this one meeting with him.” 

“No." JiU refuses, but eventually gives in with some thought, “Fine, fine but only this once.”

“I am not the one deciding that.” Siyeon replies with an indifferent shrug. 

JiU rolled her eyes but a thankful smile graced her lips.

“Hey now, tell me how it went with Bora, I completely forgot to ask you yesterday.” She grins expectantly. 

Siyeon felt confident enough to return one. “It went better than expected. You were right though, she agreed without much hesitation.” Her tone represented the idea that she still couldn't quite believe it herself. 

“Haha, I knew it.” JiU chuckles. “What’s the date gonna look like?” 

“A calm picnic for two.” Siyeon replies with certainty, “We just confirmed the details yesterday.”

“Wow you two regulate plans fast. Seems like the feeling’s mutual.” JiU put extra emphasis on the word ‘mutual’.

“I’m not going to put my hopes up yet.” Siyeon quickly replies, “She probably just sees me as a friend.” 

JiU chuckles, “I won't argue, I haven't met her yet. I hope things continue to go well between the two of you.” She pokes Siyeon’s temple in affection. 

“Thank you Ms Kim,” Siyeon calls her formal name endearingly, “I will see about that fusion restaurant evening this coming weekend…” She grins evilly as she watches JiU’s composure slightly falter. That confirmed the idea that it was not a meeting with business friends… 

“Ha um, you caught me there,” JiU quickly admits, looking at her sheepishly as if she had something to hide. She brushes her hair back. “I’m also going on a date.” 

“What??” Siyeon exclaimed in total surprise, clearly shown in her widened eyes and flying brows. “You? On a date?” 

JiU rolled her eyes at such a dramatic reaction. “We’ll see about it…after all I did meet her at ‘O’.” 

Siyeon facepalms. Of course Jiu would have met someone at the club. She knew though in the back of her head that this girl had to be something to get JiU on a date. But on second thought, who was the one who proposed the date idea? 

“I have to meet her.” Although Siyeon refrained from asking the persistent question, she could roughly guess the answer. 

“Up to her to decide.” JiU shrugs, and Siyeon looks at her with widened eyes. 

“What?” 

“Since when were you...the less-dominant one? Are you sure you haven't been seeing her for a while?” 

“No, I’m just being polite. I’ve never introduced you to any of my one-night stands. Only Eunbi was the exception.” 

“Are you kidding me? After you have with them they come running to me for round two. I’ve met every single one of them I’m sure. From Minseo to Eunbi and everyone in between.” 

Eunbi was the girl JiU slept with last week. Siyeon went to pick up JiU from her house that week and found a clingy woman latching onto JiU as they walked out. She couldn't forget the face of fake-politeness JiU wore as she peeled the woman off of her. 

“Oops.” Minji only replies, apathetic. 

Siyeon groans. “I’ll further update you on the meeting with investors and dinner with Mr Park from SeoulFind by tonight so look out for that. Enjoy that Sunday alright?” 

JiU nods, reaching up to give her bestie a much needed hug. 

“You enjoy Saturday too.” 

“For sure.” 

~