~ Chapter 15 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

~Clinton Kane - I Guess I'm In Love~

 

3rd POV

Siyeon rushed through the doors of MinTech hot on her heels, eager to bring good news to JiU. She held the files tightly in her arms as she narrowly dodged employees chatting animatedly on a new project in the hallways. It never failed to make her day, seeing everyone in the company get along well, and managing to be ‘loose’ despite being in a professional setting. Everyone knows when to be serious when needed though.

She took a chance to change her mind when she entered the CEO’s room to see her drinking a beer. 

“Minji! It’s 9 in the morning??” Siyeon exclaimed in disbelief, not hesitating to snatch the drink out of her hand. “So unprofessional!”

JiU rolled her eyes. She didn’t care as she had taken the last swig already. “You know I can drink. I’m fine with one beer in the morning.” 

Siyeon shook her head and wiggled a finger in her face. “That’s still unacceptable, CEO. Anyways, I’ve got great news.” She placed the files on the table. “The board approves of my project.”

“YES!” JiU rejoiced, pumping a fist in the air, pure joy across her face. “Come here gimme a hug.” The CEO ran around her desk to crush Siyeon into a bear hug. “You can finally pursue the project you’ve dreamed of since University!”

“I know~” Siyeon lets the words sink in, resting her chin on JiU’s shoulder. A smile graced her lips as JiU pats her back.

“You will be handling and directing the project, I will be the assistant director.” JiU spoke with tones of excitement, nervousness and proudness. “The tables will turn.” She grinned from ear to ear.

Siyeon chuckled to herself. “You’re still my boss but I sure am looking forward to taking the reins this time.” She joked.

JiU punched her softly. “That’s all good Si, I know how much you’ve wanted this to happen. I’m happy for you.”

She hugged her again. “Thank you for encouraging me since University. If it wasn’t for you I don’t think I would have pursued this project with so much effort.” Siyeon hugged her tighter, expressing gratitude.

JiU ruffled her hair affectionately. “You’re welcome, Si. You know I’m forever your bestie.”

“Heh,” Siyeon rested a hand on her shoulder. “You know I’m forever yours too.”

The two headed into a round of meetings with departments and fruitful discussions of conclusions. Siyeon hadn’t noticed it before but she saw that JiU appeared more…bright. She smiled a lot more than she usually did at trivial things and took initiative to chat with employees, even taking into consideration fixing any complaints they have. One of few was the selection of coffee machines.

“In my experience, nothing is a clearer indication of a company's character and culture than their coffee arrangements.” JiU emphasised clearly.

“Hm, no wonder Seoul Web has a bad reputation..” A male employee replied with a savage smirk.

Surrounding employees chuckles. Siyeon watched as JiU laughed along with them. A rare sight.

“Shh…’’ JiU hushed them, “We have to make sure their incompetence doesn’t spread to us…’’ She winks.

They laughed louder and quickly hustled back to work as JiU saluted them as dissimsal. 

On the way back to her office, Siyeon couldn’t help but question her.

“Eonnie, how are you so nice today?” 

JiU looked at her in confusion. “What do you mean? I’m always nice.” She removes her blazer and opens her mini-fridge just to pull out a kombucha.

Siyeon rolled her eyes. “Today you’re exceptionally nice. Can’t say I don’t like it, but it makes me wonder…is Yoohyeon playing a role in this?” She smirked teasingly, sitting on a chair next to JiU.

JiU looked away to the wall. And she never looks away upon confrontation. “No.”

“Ha! Sure…” Siyeon was satisfied with her reaction. 

“And you?” JiU challenged, “Still on the kiddy rides with Sua?” 

Siyeon faltered a tiny bit. She had been thinking about it lately, since she had kissed her, which was a week ago. She longed to kiss her again. But she was contemplating on the development of their relationship…would it be too soon to  put a label? Does she mind labels? Does she want more dates first?

“I’m not sure…still hesitating I guess.” 

She failed to relay her thoughts convincingly since JiU simply raised a brow at her, eyeing her while sipping her drink.

Speaking of the angel, her phone buzzed in her hand. Siyeon looked at the message briefly without opening the phone.

Bora 👑:
-Singsing! Can we go out tonight??-

A smile graced her lips. She could practically hear her excitement through text.

Jiu peeks over at her phone.

“She wants you.” She said matter-of-factly.

Siyeon turns the screen down. “Hey!”

“I’m just saying.” She casually shrugs before smiling at the texts she was getting on her own phone.

‘Whipped much?…’ Siyeon muttered in her head seeing the title ‘Puppy Yooh’ emblazoned on JiU’s screen.

But she asked herself this. She was going to be dating a pregnant woman, a mother, if she were to commit in this relationship, that would put her in the position of being a mother too right? Maybe not immediately, but inevitably yes, because she wants to support Bora and her child which could become their child . Was she okay with that? 

“I’m about 26 now, it sounds just about time for me to settle down but this feels too soon and she’s three months away-” Siyeon rambled in a flurry of emotions. 

“Calm down.” JiU murmurs, “I don't know what’s going on in your head but calm down. Don’t jumble it up. Take it apart.”

Siyeon breathed. “Do I love her? Yes, not even a question, I’ve fallen deep deep. Would I want to be there for her and her child? Yes, 100%.”

“I think that’s enough to make a decision.” Siyeon concluded with a nod.

JiU tilts her head up inquisitively. “To what? Marry her?”

Siyeon nearly choked on air.

“No! Just…to the relationship stage first.” She cleared , casting a shy gaze to the files on the table. To marry Bora would be a dream. 

“Pfft just skip that stage to marriage.” JiU nudges her shoulder. “You two are mature and suit each other well.”

Siyeon gave her a death glare. “You should do that too then, with Yoohyeon.” She challenged her.

Just a mention of her name had JiU jump from her seat. 

“Nevermind, forget what I said.” 

“I’ll ask her to be my girlfriend today.” She spontaneously decided. 

“Where?” JiU further questioned.

“I don’t know. Maybe home?” Siyeon replied, not having a plan made it tough to answer such questions.

“Anywhere works fine with privacy and as long as you don’t do it over text.” JiU nods.

Siyeon scoffed. “Look who’s talking…I bet you seduce her to your bed through texts.” 

“Too accurate Si.”

Siyeon shook her head in disbelief, but gave her a serious look.

“Don’t do that to her.”

“Do what?” JiU questioned, absentmindedly. 

“Don’t treat her like a one night stand. She seems genuine.”

Jiu didn’t reply, looking a little frozen. “You should get Sua some jewellery.” She changed the topic, her tone stiffened.

Siyeon raised a questioning brow, but trusted that she had registered her words. “I guess I should. What are we thinking, a necklace?”

“Works great. And since you’re such a narcissist, your initials too.” Jiu jokes.

Siyeon pushed her shoulders, effectively off the chair. “.”

JiU gets back up with a glare. “ you.”

They got along again when they went into intense research on picking out a necklace.

[Sua’s side]


“Eonnie!! Please update us on your relationship!” Winter latched on her left arm, Yeri on her right arm, both getting into her face, peppering her with never-ending questions.

Sua nearly stumbles on her own foot while holding some folders tightly in her hand. She faced them with an exasperated look. “Girls, please, at lunchtime we can talk…” 

“NO~!” A chorus of refusal exploded from the two youngest.

“AHH…” Sua grimaced, “If you two won’t be patient I’m not saying anything.” She retorted.

The two girls immediately pouted, but listened. 

Hongseok pulled the girls away so that Sua could consult Seulgi on some things. However, she wouldn’t have known that being with Seulgi would turn into another personal q&a.

“Sooooo,” Seulgi dragged the syllable with a knowing grin. “Spill.” She simply prompted.

Sua sighed, but knew that if she didn’t answer, she’d have three people pestering instead of two. 

“We kissed.”

“WAH! Seulgi cheered, which attracted the attention of some visitors. She gave them an apologetic gaze before returning to Sua. “Tell me more~”

Sua rolled her eyes and pinched her skin for being loud. “Keep quiet then…” She glared as Seulgi only gave her a sheepish smile. “She is a good kisser and I never thought I could miss kissing someone. She stayed the night over and I definitely liked that she was showering me with attention.” A dreamy grin spreads across her face at the memory.

Seulgi chuckles. “Aww~ Sounds like someone’s in loveeee~”

Sua nods confidently, which surprises Seulgi a little. “I am. But I am not sure of the confession.”

“Why?” Seulgi tilted her head. “If anything I’m sure she was crushing on you first.”

“I know but…I have a child and we come from different lifestyles. I’m not sure I can be a good partner to her.” Sua expressed genuine concern, casting saddened eyes to the ground.

“Ehhh, don’t say that.” Seulgi held her hands. “I’m sure both you and your child matter to her greatly. I don’t believe that that would be an obstacle to her life- I mean it’s an adjustment, but you two are mature enough to make the plans to make it work…” She looked into her eyes. “And remember, Hongie and I are always there for you. If you need help with anything, we will help you alright?”

“Um, I don’t think I’ve agreed to that ladies. “ Hongseok slid into the conversation smoothly, only to receive a rough pull on his collar.

“Yah!” Seulgi scolded him, “Be nice to her. She’s currently in a love crisis.” Seulgi exaggerated.

Sua was about to protest but Hongseok beat her to it.

“Omg omg tell me everything!! Does she want to get married?” He exclaimed dramatically. “Please let me be a groomsman, I have to show off my charisma in a suit.” He closed his eyes in imagination.

Sua sighed, her friends were hard to deal with. “NO, I’m not getting married-”

“Yet.” Seulgi added, frightened when Sua gave her a death glare.

“I have a hunch we’re taking it step by step, first to the relationship stage, so please, don’t exaggerate.” Sua warned them. “What I know of myself is that I would like to be her partner. And I want her.” She stated.

“OOOOH~~” Seulgi and Hongseok reacted with teasing waves of expressions and movements. “She wants her~~”

‘I am so done with them right now…’ Sua facepalmed. 

“That’s all I’ll say before you guys go ballistic for the rest of the day. Is it such a big deal that I like someone?” She calmly questioned.

“YES!” “OF COURSE!”

Sua blinked the powerful reaction away. 

“Bora is a fool. A plain fool.” Seulgi turned to Hongseok with a disappointed tone, body deflated.

Hongseok shook his head in agreement. “What is she thinking? That it’s not a big deal? I better be first on her guest list or I’m not attending.”

Sua rolled her eyes again. Did they have to be so dramatic?

“Are you glad that if I have someone by my side you guys can finally stop taking care of me?” She deadpanned.

Seulgi and Hongseok exchanged nervous looks. Oops.

“No no no,” Seulgi assures her with a quick grin. “We love taking care of you, we just want you to be with someone that will be there for you. Beyond all circumstances. You get what I’m saying?” Seulgi explained.

Hongseok kneeled next to Sua. “Your health and happiness matter the most to us Sua, if we see that you’re happy with someone, we will support you. And when you need help, we will support you too. That’s all.”

A couple tears sprung to Sua’s eyes. “Thank you guys, it means so much to me.” Her voice shook a little.

“Awww Bora…” Seulgi hugged her lightly and Hongseok followed suit.

Sua breathed deeply. Things would be alright.

:
:

At the place to meet, Siyeon arrived alone by car as Sua had chosen to take the bus. Hence, she parked as close to the bus stop as possible. She gazed every few moments at the buses that arrived to catch her. 

Finally, she caught sight of the blaze of dark hair and light dress that she had seen before. When they had first met on the bus. 

‘Now that’s just my luck.’ Siyeon smiled to herself, sliding her hand in her blazer pocket to feel the jewellery box. 

“Singsing~!” Sua called out to her. 

Siyeon walked over to close the distance ever quicker. “Eonnie~” She felt herself immediately being pulled into a hug. 

“Yah! Why do you look so handsome in your suit today?” Sua exclaimed when she pulled away to eye her.

Siyeon smirked proudly, being cheesy by swiping a cool hand in her hair. “You know I always look fresh~”

“Oh my oh my,” Sua feigned shock. She pulls on Siyeon’s collar while returning a smirk. “You should flirt like that more to me.”

Siyeon trailed a hand against her neck as a response. “Sure~" She decided to voice her thoughts. "This is also the dress you wore when we first met." 

Sua seemed overly happy to hear that, aware of that fact too. That day was unforgettable. "As expected, you remember it well~"

Sua giggled and linked her arms with her to pull her into the restaurant. Siyeon's heart fluttered along with her action, feeling her cheeks warm as much as her heart.

They ended up in a newly opened Japanese restaurant, a cuisine that Sua had recently been craving. Of course, Siyeon doesn’t hesitate to grant her wishes.

“I’m craving udon, tonkatsu and soba, but I know I won’t be able to finish it…” Sua cried from her seat, never taking her eyes off of the menu.

Siyeon didn’t have the heart to say that she wanted pork ramen, so she was quick to input her solution, “Eonnie, just order what you please, I’ll share the food with you in case you can’t finish it so as to not waste food.” She knew the latter would be worried about food waste.

“Really?” Her eyes were hopeful then sad again. “But Siyeon-i won’t be able to order food she likes…” She pouted again.

“No eonnie, I don’t mind having the dishes you mentioned, I like them too.” Siyeon assured her, holding her hand.

Sua smiles in satisfaction. “Okay! Then we’ll order that.” She called the waiter over.

Siyeon lightly pinched the back of her hand while observing her order of the dishes, seeing how her eyes lit up at simply the naming of her cravings. It was already obvious from the start- how adorable she looked.

“Singsing~ What do you want to drink?” Sua asked her.

“Asahi.” She mistakenly replied, catching herself when she saw a mild look of surprise in Sua’s eyes. She was too accustomed to eating out with JiU, who drank alcohol at every eating occasion. “Sorry no, I mean an iced tea will do.” She told the waiter.

“Your orders will be here in no time.” The waiter took the menus and left.

“I don’t mind you having a beer.” Sua said knowingly, expressing amusement.

Siyeon denied that in distress, “Sorry I said that because whenever I eat out with Minji she always orders alcohol so it just comes out since I usually order.’’ She stated apologetically.

“Ahh~” Sua nodded understanding, nonetheless, a chuckle escaped her lips. “I guess this is not your first rodeo.’’

Siyeon shrugged. “There’s a difference between wanting to eat with someone and not wanting to.’’ 

Sua snapped her eyes back to her. “Does JiU force you to eat with her?’’ She was on the verge of laughing again.

Siyeon sighed dramatically. “She doesn’t, but I’m her designated driver by default…” She shook her head upon the thoughts of calculating the monthly bills of eating out. “Even when she doesn’t drink, she doesn’t like eating alone.” 

“Haha↗️!” Sua laughed heartily. JiU sounded very similar to her in her school days. She was also very clingy for company. “I need to drink with JiU one day. We will enjoy lots of drinks.” She thoughtfully suggests.

“Eonnie I think you’ve said that about 5 times since you first heard about Minji-eonnie…’’ Siyeon hid her panic at the thought of the two high-tension people in her life in public, and her alone in their mess. She knew which of the two she would personally prioritise more though…

“Oops, I will have more conscience hehe..” Sua playfully replied.

Siyeon playfully rolled her eyes but didn’t hold back the smile. “How are you feeling these days?” 

Sua was touched by her concern. Even when they didn’t see each other, Siyeon would send her text messages asking about her cramps or headaches. It was really kind of her. “I feel better than ever, the cramps have gotten better since taking some advice from the doctor last time.’’ 

Her words spark an unforgettable memory of that night in her house. 

Siyeon nods, trying not to let the replay scene of them kissing in her head faze her. “That’s good then. Let me know if you’d ever like me to accompany you to the visits.” She caressed her hand sincerely.

“Okay,” Sua shyly replied. “What about you? Is work keeping you from me?” She rested her chin in her palm with a flirty gaze.

“I uh-...” Siyeon stuttered nervously, “I guess I have to admit that that’s the truth. I really would love to spend more time with you, eonnie, I promise.” She hung her head down, ashamed.

Sua slid a hand under her chin to lift her head up. “I forgive you but our next date should be as hot as our last.’’ She dropped a line that brought warmth to Siyeon’s cheeks.

“Of course,” Siyeon nodded obediently, hiding her nervousness at Sua’s suddenly turned table with downward cast eyes. “Anything eonnie wants.”
Sua squished her cheeks with both palms. “You listen well.”

The two were suddenly alarmed by a sound to their left, which was simply a crying baby. Even though it wasn’t her child, Sua felt sheepish knowing her child would likely cry like that too. 

“Such a cute baby…’’ Siyeon commented sweetly, seeming to be in awe…of a crying baby.

Sua didn’t know why, but she felt assured as she observed Siyeon’s reaction. It gave her hope that Siyeon would stick around when she had hers. The baby calmed down with continuous pats on the back and a pacifier.

“Your orders and drinks,’’ The waiter popped out of nowhere, settling two trays down on the table. “Please enjoy your food.”

“Thank you!” Siyeon and Sua simultaneously thanked the waiter.

“잘 먹겠습니다!” 

They dug into their food, Sua specifically eating with plenty of gusto. Siyeon was afraid she wasn’t even breathing, inhaling mouthfuls of food at a time.

“Eonnie, slow down,” Siyeon stuck out her chopsticks to block Sua’s. “Chew the food properly.” She insists on the blocking, until she sees that Sua had swallowed.

“I’m hungryyy~” Sua couldn’t help herself, clearing almost half the soba on her own. The udon was still a little too hot for her.

Siyeon took notice of that and took some udon noodles in advance to her bowl to let it cool faster, before transferring them to Sua’s bowl.

“Feed me~’’ Sua’s aegyo seemed to be strong today, which Siyeon definitely loved.
She feigned annoyance but used her chopsticks to lift up a few strands of noodles, before placing it in front of Sua’s mouth.

Sua bit onto the chopsticks, slurping the cooled yet still warm noodles in a hurry. She appreciated that Siyeon followed up with a spoonful of soup. She expressed happiness with a toothy grin.

“As long as eonnie enjoys it, I enjoy it too.” Siyeon thoughtto herself.

The plates were quickly cleared and they finished the meal off with a cooked salmon roll. Sua had most of it, since Siyeon was kind of full and she liked to see Sua eat well.

“Ah~ That was yummy~” Sua patted her stomach, feeling her baby. Her baby’s foot was pressed against her hand. “Hehe, you must be tired too.” She giggled to herself.

Siyeon wiped with a fresh napkin. “Eonnie, just wait here and digest the food. I’ll get the bill.”

Sua was alert now. “No no no, I will pay.” She input, now shifting to get out of the bench.

Siyeon was swift to get up to stand by Sua’s side, to block her. “No.’’

“Lee Siyeon…” Sua narrowed her eyes.

And as much as Siyeon was afraid of hearing her use her full name, she insisted. “I’m paying.”

“But I want to pay for the meal…” Sua kept her ground.

Siyeon took a brief glance around the diner before leaning down to kiss her.

She rests her forehead against hers. “It’s on me.”

Sua nods in a daze. She likes this Siyeon; caring yet flirty and bold. Her style.

Siyeon flashes her a sweet smile. “I’ll be back.”

Sua watched her walk off with a dreamy gaze. Oh how she would love to have a wife like her-

‘Oh gosh did I really just think that?’ Sua caught herself mid-thought, unsure of how to feel after processing such thought. 

‘I must really like her…even love!?’ Sua further processed the thought, a little horrified of herself. What would Siyeon’s reaction be if Sua told her she loves her? Would that be burdensome?

‘Aish calm down Bora, you haven't even confessed…’ 

She gulped her Iced Tea down and wondered about what they would do now. Would they go home?

“Eonnie~ I paid, let’s go.” Siyeon was back by her side in a flash, 

Sua nods, and shifts out of the booth slowly. 

Siyeon sticks a hand out in case Sua wants to grab it to stabilise herself. She did. 

“Thank you.” Sua stood up fully, slinging her bag over her shoulder, smoothly interlocking their hands.

Siyeon smirked when she noticed, satisfied. “You’re welcome.”

They walked out of the restaurant, thanking the receptionist on the way out. 

Siyeon didn’t say anything, but led Sua to her car. A breeze blew by, and it was getting cold.

“What are we doing now?” Sua expectantly questioned.

“We,” Siyeon fished her car keys out. “Are going for a walk.”

Sua smiles. That was how she liked ending most nights. “Okay.”

“Do you want to carry your purse or leave it in my car?” Siyeon opened the door, seeming to look for something. 

“Oh yeah, thanks.” Sua took it off her shoulder and handed it to her. “What are you looking for?”

Siyeon didn’t respond, suddenly standing back up with a flash of beige flying in the air. It was a fleece jacket.

She sweeped it coolly behind her head to place it on her shoulders. “Your warmth, eonnie.” 

Sua got warm just from that, tilting her head upwards when she saw that Siyeon brought her closer. “I was starting to feel cold.”

Siyeon looked at her for a second, then gave her a butterfly-inducing kiss. “You’ll warm up now.”

Sua wasn’t sure if it was the kiss that left her wanting more, or the comfy fleece jacket that made her want to have one herself, that made her warm. All that she knew was that both were effective.

They walked to a nearby park, Siyeon making sure to be extra aware of the darkened surroundings, checking on Sua every few glances who seemed to be taking in the night view. 

“Eonnie, do you live by any motto?” Siyeon asked. 

“Hm…” Sua thought about it, “Well you know like ‘When the tough gets going, the going gets tough’. I first heard that from my middle school English teacher and it became very evident to me when I left home. That’s the only one I can think of now. And you?” She stopped herself before she rambled too much.

Siyeon recognised that, knowing Sua usually spoke a lot more. But she had hovered on sensitive topics of her past so she left it at that, happy enough if Sua was willing to be honest with her. “I like the motto ‘Rule your mind or it will rule you’, I’ve seen many people in my life get screwed up by not doing that. And ‘Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.’ is more personal, since I had always tried to be that person in high school, accepting of everyone’s opinions, a role model, a jolly person, and living up to people’s expectations. It killed me, it really did.” 

She spoke slowly but clearly,the words seeming to spill out of her one by one and Sua’s heart ached hearing the pain embedded in her words. She squeezes her hand. “Is it…better now?”

Siyeon nodded confidently. “I owe my life to Minji for that. She really washed me down and made me- well encouraged me to follow my own steps and not others.’’ 

Sua registers her words, now aware that her friendship with JiU is based on very strong foundations. Both very ambitious and motivated. 

Siyeon’s right hand was nice and warm holding Sua’s, but her left was starting to feel the chill. She slid her hand in her pocket, to feel the velvety box resting inside.

‘Ack,’ She muttered inwardly. She nearly forgot about the plan. ‘Now’s the time Siyeon!’ 

She stopped in her tracks and Sua stopped a step later, turning to face her. 

“Eonnie, I have something to say to you.” Siyeon began, trying to control her nervousness. She was glad that under dimmed lights, Sua wouldn’t catch as much of her visible nervousness.

“Hm? What is it?” She was clueless.

Siyeon had written a poem to confess, memorised by heart.


‘Our bond grew strong,
Which took my heart along,
So now I know,
Where I belong,
In the joy of your laughter,
And the moments thereafter.’


She swallows, keeping her eyes hovered somewhere between a street lamp pole on her right and over Sua’s head. She was too afraid to meet the Sua's eyes.


‘I enjoy your presence,
And feel empty in your absence,
So I’ll ask you the line,
Will you be mine?’

Without skipping a heartbeat, Sua responded,

“Just take me already!”  

Siyeon’s expression was priceless and Sua could not help but burst into laughter. “You’re too sweet Sing-ah~” Sua referred to the poem, she wrapped her arms around her neck. 

“Uh I-,” Siyeon really hadn’t expected such a direct reaction. She didn’t know why she was accepting rejection beforehand at how easy Sua had reacted to her. “I really like you.” She sputtered out.

Sua giggles, pressing her nose lightly against Siyeon’s. “And I really really like you too.”

Siyeon grinned so widely her cheeks were soon going to hurt. She took out the box from her jacket pocket and opened it excitedly between them.

“Oooh~ What is this?” Sua looked on in interest, moving them towards the street lamp so she could see better.

Siyeon removed the protective sheet. “I got us matching necklaces. You’re my ruby, I’m your sapphire.” 

The box revealed two similar necklaces, each holding a different gem. Sua gasped, in awe of its elegant design and its delivery (Siyeon’s words). She immediately took the blue one out to admire it up close.

“Wahhh~ I love this~!” Sua squealed.

Siyeon clipped the necklace on her neck with a soft smile. Sheplaced her hands on her cheeks to look into her eyes deeply.

Sua was bold before, but was certainly getting shy. Their lips touched, the sparks flew, and her heart burst with joy. 

The kiss deepened and Sua was about to melt onto Siyeon, moving her hands from her shoulders to almost headlock her neck. Siyeon grinned against her lips, encouraged by her eager lips. She held her tightly against her by supporting her back.

The world was theirs and they wouldn’t have it turn out any other way.


~