~ Chapter 27 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈


 

3rd POV

“Who?” 

“Love of your life?” 

Siyeon’s mother and father spoke at the same time, the second line belonging to her mother.

Sua twitched nervously by her side, it was a wonder that Gahyeon was not kicking in her belly. It was afternoon, and that was when she’d usually be kicking. Siyeon squeezed her hip with a hand, maintaining a confident expression.

“Yes, she’s my girlfriend.” Siyeon clarifies in an instant. 

Her mother’s jaw drops shakily, a hand flying to . Her hand trembles in the air as she looks to her husband. 

“You’re…what is it kids call these days?” She stuttered. Soeun walked over to whisper the word in her ear. 

Siyeon's father didn’t reply immediately  and walked over to hug the both of them warmly. “Welcome to the family Bora!’’

Sua was so surprised and touched by her gesture that she felt tears spring to her eyes. “Th-thank you.” She managed. 

Siyeon’s father felt the baby bump, and pulled away wide-eyed. Siyeon’s mother walked closer to them, with hesitant steps, intrigued by Siyeon’s words, and her husband’s reaction.

“Are- are you-” His eyes darted between Siyeon and Sua. 

Sua nodded, quickly rubbing the back of her hand across her eyes. “Yes, we’re having a baby.”

They simultaneously gasped, and Siyeon’s mother got a second heart attack, grasping onto Soeun’s shoulder.. “You…You’re pregnant??’’

Siyeon noticed her tears and rubbed her lower back gently, lingering a concerned gaze onto her. 

Siyeon’s father clapped a hand on Siyeon’s shoulder which diverted her attention. “I’m so happy for you Siyeon.” He cleared his throat. “The men I see these days in the news, ai, are disrespectful. Bora looks like a nice girl.”

He wore a fatherly smile, Siyeon herself was taken aback by his reaction, hiding her surprise with a series of chuckles. Sua couldn’t help but laugh at his comment, while appreciating his compliment. 

“Thank you, father.” Siyeon leaned her head briefly against his shoulder. 

Siyeon’s mother had taken her time to examine Sua. “How did you get pregnant…?”

Siyeon glanced at Sua again for approval, but Sua had decided to reveal it herself. “My previous relationship.”

“Ah..” Siyeon’s mother nodded slowly, Sua wasn’t sure if that was understanding or disapproval. 

Siyeon’s father led all of them to the couch, while Siyeon’s mother trailed behind them if not for Soeun that was tagging her along. It seemed that she was utterly confused about the situation. 

After a brief introduction on how they met, the parents went on taking turns firing questions at them. 

“How old are you?”

“Where are your parents?”

“What do you do?”

“Which province are you from?”

“Do you have any siblings?”

“Is this your first relationship with a woman?”

“How long have you been pregnant?”

Sua and Siyeon did their best to answer them in detail, while keeping their answers concise because Siyeon’s parents seemed to be very curious about her, following up with the next question after she barely formed the last words of her sentence. 

Siyeon did her best to input some comments to break the flow of the quiz, but failed on multiple attempts. Finally, she placed a hand in the air, to interrupt. “Mother, Father, I understand you have many questions about Bora, our relationship or background, but we would appreciate it if you would ask them slowly.” She gave them a pointed look. “We’ll be staying until Sunday you know.”

They opened their mouths but she kept a firm hand in the air. 

“Before you continue, I have one thing to say. Bora is the strongest woman I know, she’s sacrificed a lot to get to where she is now, way before meeting me. I would like to give her everything I have, because I really love her.”

Soeun clapped from the side to gather their attention and speak. “Shall we continue over dinner? The food will get cold mom.” She reminded her of her previously engaged task. 

“Oh right, the stew!” She got up, and trained her gaze on Sua for a moment, before walking away.

Sua held her breath in the moment of eye contact. Was she still being analysed? Soeun continued happily clapping, showing them a thumbs up. “They’ll warm up to you in no time.” She directed to Sua, distracting her mind by asking her about the baby. 

The latter smiled properly, her heart feeling comfortable. Her nervousness ninety percent dispersed. It had reached its peak during the question rounds but she was glad to receive a warm reaction from Siyeon’s father in the beginning. 

At the table, they dug into the variety of dishes, the star being the soybean stew. It had the comfort of a homemade meal that couldn’t be replicated at restaurants. Sua had days where she missed her mother’s cooking, the stew fulfilled that. She found herself eating spoonful after spoonful of soup. 

Siyeon chewed on one side of to address Sua’s gusto. “Slow down hun, you might choke.” She patted her back gently.

“Hm, sorry,” Sua caught herself, noticing eyes turn to her. “The food is just super delicious.’’ She dabbed her lips with a napkin.

A round of chuckles went around, with Siyeon’s mother sporting a satisfied smile. 

“Ah, she beat me to it,” Siyeon’s father made eye contact with Sua, “As delicious as always.” He complimented the food. 

“Sua cooks very well too,” Siyeon bragged, “She cooks for me often.” 

Sua hid a proud smile. “I enjoy cooking.”

“Were you surprised with Siyeon not liking prawns? She’s the only one in the family that doesn’t like them…” Soeun knowingly said. 

Sua nodded, able to relate. “During our first meal together she revealed it right away, since we were at a seafood restaurant. I was shocked, but I enjoyed the whole dish myself.” She laughed.

“Sua really loves her seafood though…in exchange she let me eat a lot of abalones.” Siyeon grinned.

“Bora must eat very well.’’ Siyeon’s mother commented.

Sua tried to hide her embarrassment as she nodded, Siyeon only sent a loving gaze her way. 

“Of course!” Siyeon’s father gave her a thumbs up. “The baby should eat well too. The baby is growing.”

“Speaking of which, do you know when you’re due?” Soeun asked.

The couple glanced at each other with a soft smile. “February.” Sua replied, her tone enthusiastic.

“Estimated the week of the 10th,” Siyeon specified. “Real soon.”

“Yeah that’s three months away.” Siyeon’s father exchanged a look with his wife.

“You can celebrate Valentine’s Day together!” Soeun commented, “How romantic…” Her tone turned dreamy.

The couple giggled together, nodding in agreement. “We’re looking forward to that~”

“Keep us updated on the Bora’s and the baby’s health, Siyeon-ah.” Her father instructed.

“Yes dad.” Siyeon saluted.

“Is the baby a girl or boy?” Soeun questioned.

“Girl.” The two replied at the same time.

“Does she kick a lot?” Siyeon’s father finished his plate. 

Sua nodded. “Definitely. Usually in the afternoon.”

And at that moment Gahyeon started kicking.

They moved to the spacious living room to continue talking more comfortably, Siyeon’s father and Soeun seeming particularly interested in Sua. Siyeon’s mother stayed in the back, simply observing, but occasionally smiling. 

Siyeon was unafraid to cuddle Sua in front of her family. Sua hesitated to rest against her, thinking that she should maintain a proper and formal image. Siyeon patted her warmly to say that it was alright.

“Have you guys decided on a name?” Soeun was personally most curious about this.

“Gahyeon.” The two replied in unison again.

“Aww!”

“That’s a lovely name.”

Siyeon met her mother’s eyes for a moment. And with their eyes they exchanged a couple words.

“Are you serious about her?”

“Yes.”

They held each other’s gaze for a moment longer until her mother broke it. Siyeon didn't think her mother was rejecting Sua in any way, just taking time to process that she was in a relationship and that they were expecting a baby. That was unexpected news to bring back home. But positive ones.

As they day bled into the night, the atmosphere loosened from an ice-breaking session to a more family-like evening. They had moved on from general questions and were simply talking about trivial things while the TV ran in the background. Something that Sua found insightful was hearing about Soeun’s experiences as a new parent and Siyeon’s father's experiences as a ‘seasoned’ parent. 

She hadn’t had much talks like these in her pregnancy journey so she was really happy to hear about it all. Her concerns over raising Gahyeon, choosing a bed and feeding were largely resolved, but kept in mind that everyone’s experiences differed. Simultaneously, she learned more about Siyeon, which was amusing at times.

In the kitchen, Siyeon was helping her mother wash the dishes and do the laundry. She asked her mother about Bora.

“Bora would be a good mother. She looks to be sure of herself and independent. I’m very happy you're with someone like her.”

Siyeon grinned hard. She knew her mother would warm up to Bora.

“I won’t lie, I had hoped that you had found a reliable man and would start a family like Soeun did but,” She shrugged as she rinsed the plates and handed them to Siyeon. “It’s clear that you love Bora, and that she loves you, and you’re blessing us a grandchild already. I only wish to support you two from here onwards.”

Siyeon was silent for a moment, registering her words. 

“Thank you mama, I appreciate it.” Siyeon hugged her tightly. 

She patted her back. “Be sure to take good care of Bora. Being pregnant is not easy.”

“I know, she tells me everyday.” Siyeon responded jokingly. “I will do my best.” 

“Take good care of yourself as well.” Her mother reminded her. “I will send lots of food to you to ensure that. Make sure to eat them with Bora ok?”

“I sure will. Thank you mama~”

 

:

:

 

-The next day- 

Everyone gathered by the dining table for breakfast. Siyeon’s mother seemed to be annoyed about something while her father looked innocent by her side. 

“Siyeon, you're indeed much better off with her, you know how your father snores, it’s unbearable.”

“Hahaha~” Chuckles went around.

“Who says Bora doesn’t snore?” Siyeon’s father interjected.

“I don’t!” Sua became defensive. 

Siyeon cleared nervously. “Actually I’m the one that tends to snore-” 

Soeun and Siyeon’s mother sent a pitiful glance to Sua.

“It’s not so bad.” Sua chuckled.

“The two of you are already living together right?” Siyeon’s father asked, as he didn’t remember if he was told about it last night.

“Yes. Siyeon’s place.” Soeun filled him in.

“What do you two plan to do today?” Siyeon’s mother changed the topic, in case they needed to leave soon.

Sua turned to Siyeon and hence all eyes turned to her.

She set her cutlery down. “Right, today I’ll bring her to Yeowon Jjim-Galbi for lunch.”

“Oh that’s a good one.”

“That’s a must.”

“Good start.”

Sua stifled laughter at their reactions. They responded so naturally to just the name of the restaurant.

“This meat restaurant is loved by locals. You will be blown away.’’ Siyeon convincingly stated.

“Where else?” Soeun knew a lot of tasty restaurants she visited with Siyeon in their youth, that were still around. She was proud to see Siyeon bring Sua to those places. 

“Lucid for a mid-day dessert.” Siyeon replied, meeting eyes with Soeun.

“Ah pudding bingsu!” Soeun clapped, recognising the popular dessert place among locals. “I introduced you to that one last time you visited.”

“Pudding bingsu?” Sua mumbled to herself.

“Yes that’s why,” Siyeon draped an arm over the back of Sua’s chair. “I’m craving it.”

“Siyeon-ah, it’s winter now. Why would you eat bingsu in winter?” Her mother scolded lightly. “There must be something wrong with you…” She muttered.

Siyeon pouted. “It’s a craving…and it’s really yummy!” 

Sua smiled at her childish look. “We can always come back in the summer to enjoy it~”

“An advantage I see is that you’ll secure a spot at the cafe. In the summer they’re usually booked out or sold out before the day ends.” Soeun reasoned. “And it’s between 14 to 18 degrees here in Daegu, it’s not too cold. December is usually coldest.” She painfully elaborated, sniffling just at the thought of -4 to -6 degrees.

“True.” Siyeon clapped. “This is why we should go.”

“Dress up well and have fun, girls.” Siyeon’s father concluded the breakfast. 

On the road, Siyeon punched in the address of Apsan Park. She had visited the park in her early childhood and often walked the paths, chasing her sister around. Once a month, they would take the cable car to the mountains and observe the city from above. In Daegu there were a number of spots available to admire the city skyline. She was thinking of bringing Sua to another spot tomorrow. 

“I’m looking forward to the savoury options you plan to bring me too but I’m really curious about the pudding bingsu.” Sua couldn’t stop thinking about the food. “I’m so excited!’’

Siyeon nodded. “I’m excited too, I haven’t had these dishes in a while. There’s another restaurant I wnt to introduce you to but you can’t eat it…”

Sua glanced over. “Is it raw meat?”

“You guessed it. It’s called mungtigi, it uses beef shank from inside the cow's thigh and rump, which is then cut into thumb-sized pieces. It is customarily served after being marinated in a mixture of sesame oil, garlic, and red pepper powder. We eat it by dipping in sesame oil, perilla oil or salt. And of course,’’ Siyeon paused for extra effect. “It has the best combination with soju.”

“WAAAHHH~!” Sua shrieked in joy. “Next year, March, we’re coming back here.” She was determined, the combination sounded too good to be true. She was salivating at just the thought. 

Siyeon nearly jumped in her seat. “We definitely will hun, calm down now.”

“I can’t wait!” Sua bounced her knees up and down.

Siyeon shook her head in disbelief. She was to control Sua’s alcohol consumption closely. 

“I have a feeling that maybe our every meal will be paired with alcohol in the months after giving birth.” Siyeon commented with fear.

Sua turned to her with a serious look. “Lee Siyeon. You know me too well. It’s getting scary.”

“Uhh,” Siyeon replied, feeling uneasy. “Please also take JiU along because I do not drink well, and JiU has been looking for a partner to enjoy all alcohol-food matchmaking. I do not think Yoohyeon would be down for that either.” She smiled tightly. 

Sua shrieked enthusiastically. “I should research and list some places with JiU already so we don't waste time finding them later. But JiU must know lots of tasty places already…aiya…all I can do is wait for time to fly by.” Her tone took a deflated turn.

Siyeon bit her inner cheek, holding back laughter. “That’s right my love, wait a little longer.” She caressed her cheek with the back of her hand. “I’ll be sure to take good care of Gahyeon while you have fun eating what you’ve missed.’’

Sua grabbed her hand tightly. “I can count on you right Sing?” She leaned back against the chair. “Ah…I wonder how Gahyeonie will grow up to be. Would she be an active girl? Would she like drinking as well?”

“I think she’ll be an active girl. She kicks a lot.” Siyeon instinctively pressed her hand against Sua’s belly. “As for the drinking part…if she’s able to drink well I think she’d also be quite the extrovert, like you.” She said what came to mind. 

Sua nodded. “I just want to give her the freedom I never had from my own parents. I had a good youth, but not to the extent I wish I had. More importantly, I hope that she won’t be ‘attacked’ for having two mothers. I mean, it’s inevitable, our society is still largely conservative but, as long as we’re a good family, I see no wrong.”

“Hm, speaking of which, would you marry me?” Siyeon blurted out of nowhere.

“WHat?” Sua responded, wide-eyed. “Are you, are you…”

Siyeon nearly slammed the brakes. “No no I, I’m just asking, I mean, I share the same concern with you and I think that it’s very important…” She panicked, stumbling over her words, trying to form the right sentence. She was flustered.

Sua didn’t bother to keep it shut. “Yes, I would like to be your lawfully wedded wife, Lee Siyeon.”

This time Siyeon stopped the car, pulling them to the side of the road. She said nothing and kissed her senseless. 

Sua felt it in the kiss, that it was a new emotion, different than usual. It was deep, not just the kiss, but a desire she felt, coming from Siyeon. In relation to their words shared earlier, she understood why Siyeon had responded this way. Siyeon was not the type to immerse herself into things, neither does she desire much. But when she did, she expressed it well.

“You’re mine, all mine.” Siyeon cradled her face in her hands, Sua could feel her hands tremble slightly. “I love you.”

Sua grabbed her wrists. “I love you too.” She observed as Siyeon’s eyes widened for a moment. “Why do you look so shocked?”

“I didn’t think…” Siyeon mumbled, she cleared . “We’d be exchanging such words.”

Sua raised a brow. “Like ever? Do you not want to marry me↗️?” Her tone raised as well. Jokingly.

“No no no, that’s not it…I want to, I really want to, I just didn’t think you’d reply to my question that…that confidently.” Siyeon stuttered, trying to find her voice. 

“You’re so cute.” Sua squished her cheeks. “I’ve never seen you stutter so much before.”

Siyeon melted. “You give me heart palpitations.” 

At the park, the couple take their time to walk, not in a rush of anything. They both liked the slow-pace of their activity compared to their daily life with work, which was fast-paced. 

Especially for Siyeon, who felt a twinge of guilt for all their employees working their butts off day and night, many of them working overtime in hopes of a promotion. At MinTech, she and JiU had always worked hard to ensure fair opportunities within the employees but there was always a manipulative worker or a biased manager to be found. She spent many hours listening to the complaints or more professionally put, feedback, from all the employees and tweaked the system to what fit the workers best. For example, many were complaining of far travel since some resided in Seoul and some resided on the outskirts of the town. Hence, they implemented a work-from-home roster with the different departments. Twice a week each department would have the opportunity to work from home. 88% of the employees were generally satisfied with that systematic change. Siyeon had hoped to see a higher percentage but knowing that 16% of the 88% were mothers, she felt at ease. She felt that she’d maybe made their lives just a little easier. 

Sua knew Siyeon was deep in thought when her hand was being pinched, continuously, for a while. Her eyes were distant, unfocused to her surroundings. She could almost see an inner monologue happening in her head. She on the other hand didn’t have many thoughts circling around, simply welcoming the new sight in front of her, noticing wilted leaves and dying flowers on the trees as the harsh winter approaches and the little chirps of birds that flew about. She noticed some houses in the distance and thought about how she’d want to live close to nature, when she reached an old age. And take ‘healing’ walks around nature, breathe in the crisp and clean air. Randomly chatting with others or elderly would make her day too, since they are often found at a park.  

“You two look lovely,” Someone from their right announced.

Sua was the first to react, bowing to a small, petite grandmother who had dyed her white hairs a striking red. “Hello,”

Siyeon bowed to greet her as she set her walking stick in front of her. “I’m glad to see you young ones going for a walk. All my children are always calling me from their office haiya…so cooped up in there.” She tsked with disapproval. Then a bright smile formed on her face. “Are you two a couple?”

Sua and Siyeon nodded at the same time.

“Beautiful.” She simply replied, “Keep loving each other.” She then started moving again, leaving the couple flustered in a good way.

“We love you too grandma!” Siyeon shouted as a reply, before she got too far. 

The two looked on expectantly.

The grandma raised her stick high up in the air, adding a little wave.

The two burst into a fit of giggles. 

“What a wholesome grandma.” Siyeon closed her coat tighter. 

“I aspire to be that grandma.” 

At a glass-fenced area, they took a few goofy photos with each other, and one higher-angled one with the background. Siyeon took out her polaroid photo for a different effect in the photo. 

“1, 2, 3.” The light flashed. ‘So pretty…’ Siyeon thought to herself.

“Your turn!” Sua took one for her while waiting for her own to develop. “So pretty~” Sua complimented.

The two squealed in sync as the films developed. 

“They turned out so well.” 

“They did~” Siyeon held them up. “Let’s keep these well.”

“You can keep mine and I’ll keep yours. In my wallet. So we always have each other.’’ Sua took the polaroid of Siyeon’s and immediately slid it in her wallet. 

“Good idea.” Siyeon followed suit, her wallet having a transparent film. 

“We’ll have to make one with Gahyeon too. Oooh what I really want,” Sua watched her step as she felt a stick, Siyeon immediately grabbed her elbow. “Is a polaroid of our hands like Gahyeon's tiny hand in our palms.” Sua took Siyeon’s hand out to demonstrate it.

Siyeon loved it. “That’s the first thing we do when we bring her home. I’m gonna write that down.” She typed it in her notes. 

“Ah…by the way,” Sua found that it was good timing to bring it up. “I really enjoyed meeting your mom and dad. Soeun is really nice as well. I just know I’ll be contacting her often when Gahyeon is here. I hope to get closer to them all with Gahyeon.”

If Siyeon hadn’t listened closely she might have missed the bittersweet tone Sua expressed faintly. Her heart clenched at the reality that Sua’s parents wouldn’t be with her at the birth of Gahyeon, and wouldn't be there for their only daughter. Neither would Sua want to go back to them with Gahyeon. It’s difficult to start a family after having left her only family, Siyeon understood that. 

“I’m sure my parents and Soeun-eonnie look forward to it too. I know my dad warmed up to you fairly quickly but rest assured my mom will beat my if I don’t take care of you and Gahyeon well.” Siyeon guaranteed. “She likes you too.”

Sua smiled in relief. “I’m really thankful for them.’’

Since they were starting to get hungry, they skipped the cable car ride and got back on the road for Jjim-galbi. It was 12.34pm, and they'd been walking for a little over an hour. Siyeon was assured that they’d have time to digest before bingsu…

“We’ll be there in half an hour,” Siyeon noticed Sua’s finger drumming against the door. “How’s your back? Do you want a cushion? You can recline.” 

“My back is holding on,’’ Sua mumbled, reaching down to pull on the lever. “Maybe I shall recline for a moment.”

Siyeon thought of a song she wanted to hear. “Let’s hear some old but gold, Ma Boy by Sistar19.”

“ooOh~ I like that,” Sua opened a music app to find the song. “I haven't listened to it in so long.” 

They were silent, simply bopping to the song until the chorus came. 

 

🎶Oh ma boy, oh ma boy baby

니가 무슨 사랑을 알아 내 맘만 아파

Oh ma boy, oh ma boy baby

니가 어떻게 내 맘을 알아, don't let me down Boy🎶

 

Siyeon left the last of the chorus earlier to start the rap.

 

🎶너 때문에 내가 미쳐 why try'n play games with me?

너로 인해 하루에도 나는 몇 번씩, up and down

Don't let me down, 난 울어 매일 밤

(No, no) stop breakin' ma heart

너는 내 기분도 모르고 눈 돌려

I got what you lookin' for

한 눈 팔지마 이게 내 마지막

경고 (oh no), this gon' be the last time🎶

 

Sua giggled from the side, entertained. “Wah~!”

“The vibes are so nostalgic with this one.” Siyeon pouted briefly, reminiscing her school memories where she’d sing this song with her friends during karaoke. She’d sung this song plenty with JiU as well.

“I’m playing 9Muses next.” Sua added ‘Dolls’ next in the queue. 

Siyeon tapped the steering wheel excitedly. “9Muses!’’

“1, 2 ,3…’’ Siyeon counted at a brief pause before the chorus.

 

🎶사랑이 뭐라고 (oh)

그게 다 뭐라고 (oh)

찢기는 마음마저도 소중하게 해🎶

 

Sua reclined her seat to dance to the iconic moves, singing as Siyeon followed along with her shoulders. 

After a series of throwback songs they reach Yeowon Jjim-Galbi. Siyeon feels a bigger wave of nostalgia at the sight of the restaurant as she exits the car. She takes Sua’s hand and leads her in. 

They found a seat towards the back and sat opposite each other, with Sua holding their belongings at her side. 

“Why is it jjim-galbi and not galbi-jjim?” Sua questioned as soon as Siyeon placed their order.

“For galbi-jjim you first cook the meat first, then pour the sauce. Jjim-galbi is marinating the meat, then cooking it.” Siyeon explained without hesitance, proving her history with the restaurant.

“Oooh…it must taste different from galbi-jjim then.’’

“It does, it does. Ah and they serve fried rice here too for 1000 won. Should we get that?’’ Siyeon nearly forgot.

Sua gasped. “How can I say no to fried rice? Let’s get it a little later so I don’t eat too fast.” She knew herself well.

Siyeon chuckled. “I’ve sent you an itinerary for the trip but you’ve probably noticed a lot of undecided slots.” 

“Hm yeah,” Sua sipped her water. “You were going to give me a few options to choose from?”

“Yes, I think the Daegu 83 Tower is a must. The night view is just, “ Siyeon kissed her fingertips. “Amazing. Then you can choose between an afternoon high-tea session followed by a spa session, or either one.” Siyeon read off her phone.

“Let’s do both..?’’ Sua liked the idea very very much. 

Siyeon nodded with a smile, having guessed it correctly. “No problem at all.’’

“What’s on the food itinerary tomorrow?” Sua questioned. 

“Flat dumplings and janchi guksu.” Siyeon replied knowing a food question was up next. “On Saturday my parents would like for us to have dinner with them before we leave on Sunday morning.’’

Sua nodded. “I would like that too. One last taste of homemade food.”

The food was served in a flash and Sua grabbed her chopsticks right away. “My, my, this looks delicious.” She brought her face closer and the smell of garlic hit her. “They use a lot of garlic.’’

“That’s the key point,” Siyeon picked up a piece and blew on it. “Careful, it’s hot.” 

Sua graciously accepts the piece to be fed. Her eyes widen as she chews on the meat. 

Siyeon squeals slightly as she takes her own bite. 

“That is tasty tasty.’’ Sua was quick to pick up a second bite, to judge the marinate better. 

“There’s even boneless pieces.” Siyeon picked up a succulent piece, the spice and garlic satisfying her taste buds.

“Mhm~ It’s chewier than galbi-jjim.” Sua spotted the difference. “The taste of garlic is strong, but in a yummy way.” 

Siyeon hummed in agreement, putting the meat in a perilla leaf wrap. “It’s yummy~”

Within 15 minutes, half of the pot was cleared. “One fried rice please~” Sua ordered.

With a spoonful of rice in , Sua exhaled the heat from the food. “Wah, how can the vegetables still be so crunchy?” 

“This is a taste you can only get in Daegu.” Siyeon almost burned the roof of .

“I think this is the best fried rice I’ve eaten this year.”

After the hearty and savoury meal, they head to the pudding bingsu cafe as they both didn’t feel the need to wait it out. If anything, they needed the cool dessert to battle the heat of the meat and fried rice.

“If they’re open in the winter season, you know that they’re serious.” Sua opened the compartment to get fresh heat packs. “I’ll bet that there’ll be a number of people at the cafe.” She predicted.

Siyeon tried to recall the last time she visited the cafe. Did she visit in October again? Or just after summer in August? She couldn’t remember well.

 

🎶Ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh, 귀엽게

Ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh, 예쁘게🎶

 

“Girl’s Day Expectation.” Siyeon guessed it right away.

“Ding dong daeng~” Sua tapped an imaginary stylophone, like emcee’s did in variety shows when an answer was correct. “This was the jam!’’

When the pre-chorus came around, they bopped their heads in sync.

문자가 신경 쓰여!’’ 

They burst into laughter at their synchronisation.

“Oh man, the oldies are the best.” Siyeon shook her head. 

“Take me back, I mean, current kpop is creative and catchy but old kpop is irreplaceable.” Sua sighed.

Siyeon agreed. “Old kpop and even western pop hits different but it’s funny to think that the next few generations may say the same about the current trends in music.”

“That’ll likely happen.” Sua thought about it. “I really wonder how much different or more creative producers or artists will get in future kpop. Or will they maintain what they’ve created now?” She raised a good question.

“I think they’d stay on a similar wavelength of what they have going on now…like empowering messages, creative performances or characteristics specific to each group. I just hope to see it stay authentic, and not be overly westernised if that makes sense…even in the days of kpop there were western influences to an extent but there were also many that came from the source.” 

“Ah, I always found the industry interesting. Often pitiful, for all the blood, sweat and tears they lose during the process. But just like everyone else that lives to eat, to survive.”

“It’s saddening to see their youth thrown away like that. Well maybe that’s a little harsh because that’s the future they choose, despite deciding from a young age. And the parents, yes, I give my respect to them.”

“But it is true, they learn the taste of adulthood right away, at a tender age…it’s scary. I don’t know if I’d let Gahyeon do it.”

“Be an idol?”

“Yea…or work in the entertainment industry.”

“What about acting? Or radio?”

“Radio I’m definitely open to it but acting…it’s really tough. I’d want to see her tenacity and discipline first.”

“Fair enough. Y’know I’m with you on this because if she wants to take the route of an idol, she’d have to start at a young age and I don’t think I could let her go.”

“That’s right and that’ll probably start in her puberty phase.” Sua thought about it deeper. “If she really wants it, I'll give her a chance at a career. However, she must keep some form of studying. Whether online or attending school - education takes priority.”

“Yes, that's an important one. Gahyeon shouldn't debut at a young age either.”

A silence settled down between them.

They both broke it with chuckles. “Look at us getting ahead of ourselves.” Sua commented.

“I don’t know about you but,” Siyeon shrugged. “I got a feeling that this little girl is going to grow up in a blink of an eye. Next thing you know, she’s asking about adulthood and living alone.” 

“Aaahhhh!” Sua was horrified. “I never want that day to come.”

Siyeon nodded with a pout. “I think I’ll cry.”

At the dessert place, they were lucky to grab a table despite a queue, as Sua predicted accurately about 65% of the place was occupied. 

They went for the mango snow ice, as the visual looked the most pleasing on the menu. The pudding looked to be crème brûlée but they were both clueless.

“What did you get last time?” Sua asked.

“Mocha? Yeah it was mocha.” Siyeon pointed at another picture. 

“Oooh…” Sua had her eyes in that but didn't take it as caffeine was in it. 

“It was delicious from my memory. I’m sure the mango will not be a disappointment eith-” The pick-up device buzzed in Siyeon’s hand.

“I’ll pick it up.” She left to grab their order.

Sua thanked her and checked her notifications. She had some messages from Seulgi and Hongseok.

Seulbear🧸:

-Sua!! How’s Daegu so far?-

hongie:

-update us on meeting her family~ were their reactions good?-

Seulbear🧸:

-i would assume so…otherwise she would hv contacted us…-

hongie:

-tru tru…btw she changed her address to her siyeon’s right?-

Seulbear🧸:

-why would you need to know that?-

Sua:

-daegu has been great…siyeon gets sweeter and sweeter everyday-

Seulbear🧸:

-my my look at this girl-

hongie:

-more whipped than whipped cream-

Sua rolled her eyes at their reaction and re-focused on what she wanted to say.

-why do you want to know if my address changed, hongie?-

hongie:

-so i can send you baby presents, the baby’s coming soon right?-

Seulbear🧸:

-ohhh-

Sua:

-yeah, I'm three months away…that’d be kind of you to do hongie.-

hongie:

-ey, what are you talking about, of course I’ll buy your baby nice gifts. i need to have a title of being best at something and that’s the uncle title-

Seulbear🧸:

-pfft maybe more like the best at being delusional-

Sua:

-yeah or procrastinator of the year-

hongie:

-...-

-i’m leaving bye bye-

“Wahhh~” Siyeon came back with the tray of bingsu. “It looks freezing.” She anticipated multiple brain freezes.

Sua set her phone on the table to get ready to eat. “As expected, it looks better than the photos.”

They poured the condensed milk over and dug right in. 

“It’s not too sweet.” Was Sua's initial remark, which was usually considered a high praise.

Siyeon her spoon. “I love mango. The pudding is delicious too.”

“Interesting texture combination going on.” Sua chewed effortlessly into the pudding while the ice melted in .

“I mean you barely munch on the bingsu itself, the pudding becomes the star. It tastes like crème brûlée no?” 

“I have no idea, I just know it’s tasty.” Sua scooped a big chunk off. “My tongue feels numb from the cold.”

Siyeon held a hand to her head, battling brain freeze. “The cafe is well insulated and heated, thankfully enough.”

“You say that but still get a brain freeze.” Sua teased.

:

The next destination they had in plan was The Arc.

The Arc was a magnificent building situated along a river that was categorised as asymptote architecture, with its unique shape that resembled the body of a whale, minus the flippers, fins and tail. Sua had already begun taking pictures from the car as the 3200 m² structure came into view. 

At the entrance of The Arc, there was a description board that the couple stopped to read:

 

The architecture of the River Culture Pavilion ( ARC ) is a powerful formal statement that combines nature, technology and space. The bold curved form of the ARC is perched on a peninsula that juts into the river and surrounded by an awe inspiring natural environment. The building is a strong focal point set against a stunning panoramic landscape.

 

Sua finished reading first and examined the building. She tapped Siyeon’s shoulder. 

“Sing-ah!! If we go up there we can take really nice photos with the sunset..” Sua pointed to the ‘caved’ part of the building. 

“How’d you know we could go up there?”

Sua pointed at pictures on the adjacent board. “Isn’t that this?”

“You’re right..” Siyeon read closely. “Let’s go then~”

Inside, they found a few exhibitions about the different reservoirs and scenes of nature in the country. They took their time to go through them.

“16 reservoirs at a glance…” Siyeon read aloud. 

“We’re over here…” Sua pointed at ‘Daegu’. “I didn’t know we had that many reservoirs.” She was a little dumbfounded. 

“Me too.” Siyeon searched for Sua’s hand as she moved down the wall to read further. “Huh? Where’s your hand…” She looked to her side.

Sua took her hand out of her pocket. “Here.’’ She smiles to herself as Siyeon grabs her hand tightly. 

They soon head up to the second floor where they found a cafe. A lot more people were chilling at the cafe, enjoying cups of coffee and a variety of pastries. The couple skipped the cafe and headed for the viewing deck. 

As they expected, the view did not disappoint. They faced the sunset, quietly admiring the view. 

Siyeon leaned over to press a kiss on her head. 

“I want to watch views like this with you everyday.” Sua leaned her head against her shoulder affectionately.

Siyeon grinned. “Am I not enough of a view for you?”

Sua giggled slightly. She looked up at her with puckered lips.

Siyeon leaned down to kiss her. 

“You are good view,” Sua admitted, “Which is why my joy doubles in this way.’’

“I love that,” Siyeon turned back to see the sun. “Nothing is more meaningful than watching a sunset with my beloved.”

At that moment, Sua felt Gahyeon ‘swim’ in her belly. She took Siyeon’s palm and rested it against her belly. “She’s moving.” Sua whispered. 

Siyeon back hugged her to place both her palms on Gahyeon. She rested her chin on Sua’s shoulder and closed her eyes for a moment. 

:

Their last stop of the day was restaurant Goindol, where Sua would get her braised chicken fix. If it was really good, she would recommend the place to Seulgi and Hongseok. She’d be sure to take pictures nevertheless.

“Oh? They serve braised chicken with fried gizzards? Once again a new combination.” Sua mumbled to herself.

“If I’m not mistaken gizzards were left over in preparation for the braised chicken, so they decided to serve chicken gizzards alongside the main.’’ Siyeon explained.

When the food came out, Sua expressed regret for not being able to drink because it would go so fantastic with beer or somaek (soju mixed with beer). 

“We’ll enjoy a glass when we come back here with Gahyeon or friends.” She lifted her cup of cola. “Cheers.”

“Whoo, that’s got a kick.” Sua gulped down water afterwards. Luckily, she tolerated the spice well.

Siyeon felt tears in her eyes. “I’m tearing up, ah, spicy..” Siyeon dabbed her tears.

“Aigoo…” Sua refilled her cup with water. “Maybe it was better to get bingsu after this meal.”

Siyeon in air, trying to cool . She removed her outerwear. “The cafe would be closed by then.” She tried to articulate with a gaping mouth.

Sua laughed at the fact that she was able to understand her. “Slowly eat hun…”

Siyeon managed a half-smile, trying not to choke. 

“Can we get one white rice here please!’’ Sua got another bowl.

Siyeon felt her phone buzz in her pocket. “Oh, Soeun-eonnie’s calling,” She picked up the video call. “Hi hi~” She pans the camera to show both her Sua.

-Ooo~~ Jjim-dak?- Soeun recognised the dish.

-It’s really yummy.- Sua gave a thumbs up.

-But spicy- Siyeon panted with her tongue out.

Soeun laughed. -Be sure to drink some milk…- 

Siyeon held up her crushed carton.

-Wah wah…I thought your tolerance increased. Apparently not,- Soeun didn’t hide her disappointment. -but I called to check on you guys. Are you enjoying Daegu Bora?-

-Yes, yes I am, Siyeon has been a great tour guide.- Sua took the phone from Siyeon.

-I’m glad to hear that. My husband and baby will be visiting tomorrow so you’ll be able to meet eunjae then-

-lucky~~~~- Siyeon called out, excited at the thought of seeing her niece. 

-Haha, siyeonnie calls eunjae lucky because she feels so lucky to have a niece like her.- Soeun replied to her call.

-Siyeonie is an aunt, singnimo-

-HAHA!- Soeun laughed on the other end. -That’s cute-

-I love that. Lucky-ah~~ Singnimo is where~ I should greet her like that.-

-She’ll be giggling at you- Soeun responded.

-I can’t wait to meet her!-

Siyeon took the phone back to put both of them back in view. She nearly laughed seeing her father play with the TV remote in the background. 

-See you later eonnie, we’ll be back soon- She waved with Sua.

-See you~-

“I would definitely bring Seulgi and Hongseok here,” Sua quietly burped, “This stuff is good.” She had already sent multiple photos of the food. “Even the gizzards weren’t as greasy as I thought.”

Siyeon finished her 15th cup of water. “I’m even happier that this restaurant has stuck around for so long. Over 30 years now.” 

“Wow wow wow,” Sua responded, “Did your parents eat here a lot as well then?” She asked.

Siyeon nodded. “Definitely.”

“Wahh…that’s amazing.’’ Sua was speechless for a moment, wondering if there were any restaurants she had eaten at in her childhood that her parents had also eaten at. It was probably a BBQ spot.    

Siyeon wanted to ask about whether or not Sua knew of any restaurants that shared history with her parents, but hesitated. She didn’t want to make her feel unpleasant.

“Should we go?” She finally said.

Sua finished texting her nosy colleagues. “Let’s go~”

After a long, long day, Siyeon drove them back home. Sua had fallen asleep within 5 minutes of the soothing car ride, allowing Siyeon to be deep in thought. In her early 20s, when just getting a taste of life and how she lived, she had not really defined or categorised her moments of happiness. But starting today, she was sure of her happiness. 

 

 

~