~ Chapter 10 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV

Sua woke up to her phone blaring on her night table.

“Wha-?” She rubs the sleep away with a loud yawn and kicks of her legs to waken her knees. Her whole body shudders to shake sleep off.

Without looking at the caller, she swipes it to receive.

-Hello,-

-SUA!- The receiver screamed. 

Sua jumped up in shock. -SEUL JEEZ- She screamed back. 

-Can Hongie and I come over? We wanna make cinnamon rolls but you know we can’t bake.-

Sua was suspicious of their intentions and made that clear with her tone.

-Is it for a special occasion?-

There was a series of fumbling from the other side and sudden screams of protest, referring to the possession of the phone. Sua raised an unimpressed brow.

-Seulgi wants to make them for Joohyun!!-

-Hongseok I’m gonna kill you-

-GUYS! Whatever the reason you guys are welcome but I just woke up so come over in 15?-

Sua’s jaw dropped to hear the nervous chuckles on the other end. A long pause passed. It hit her.

-Haha you see,- Hongseok began, Sua didn’t need to hear it, but simply sunk her face into her hands. -We’re already outside your building.-

-Oh my god…-

The 29-year old watched as her friends ran across the living room, setting their belongings where they liked and casually taking Sua’s array of snacks on the counter as they began a heated discussion over the recipe. Not the way she would normally start her mornings but she couldn’t say no to them.

“Ju-just how did this happen?” Sua leaned against the island counter, sipping from her coffee which tasted as confusing as the situation. There was somehow too much milk? She zooms in on her culprit, who drank her own cup with a bright eye smile.

Hongseok clicked his tongue. “Magic.”

“Oh Sua, you’re not getting a headache because of us are you?” Seulgi dramatically sings, hugging Sua from the side.

Sua snatched the bowl of grapes from her. “Stop stealing my food.”

Seulgi surrendered herself and went back around to lay out the ingredients they needed for the rolls. Sua wondered why they couldn’t have done it themselves?

“Is this really for Joohyun?” Sua curiously questioned.

Hongseok lets Seulgi’s blushing face answer that. 

“Yes. But also for Hongseok’s sister who’ll be in town tomorrow.” Seulgi clarified with a pointed look.

Hongseok shrugged. “I would have just bought her some. I don’t have so much love for my sister like you do for Joohyun.” He teased further.

Seulgi was about to swing a fist when Sua got in the way.

“Alright, focus on the task at hand, people. We ain’t burning the house down."

“Yes ma'am!” They obediently stood still.

“So wet ingredients first…” She pushed a metal bowl to the centre. “¾ cup buttermilk and 6 tablespoons of veg oil…” Seulgi and Hongseok looked on attentively from Sua’s shoulder.

“Can I crack the egg next?” Hongseok grabs it in his hand.

Sua pursed her lips doubtfully. “As long as you don’t make a mess.”

He attempts to crack it neatly, successfully spilling some of the whites on the side of the bowl. Before Sua jumps on him, he dumps its contents into the bowl thankfully without shells before side-stepping to the sink to rinse his hands. Sua nearly threw the shells at his head.

“Close call.” Seulgi quietly comments with a knowing grin.

When the wet ingredients were well-mixed, they moved onto the dry ones.

“3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking soda…” Seulgi handled this part easily as Sua had weighed them in advance. 

Sua mixes in the wet ingredients while the other two start on the filling. She preps the dough and supervises them. 

“Add a bunch of dates…” Hongseok dumps them in.

“Ha! Cuz that’s the only date you can get.” Seulgi teases.

"Hey!” There was a sad sniffle from Hongie.

Sua and Seulgi shared their laughter. 

He gets his revenge after completing the sweet filling,

“Taste it to make sure it’s not poisonous..” He began, then turned to them with an evil grin. “And spread that sticky stuff all over the dough.”

Sua and Seulgi reacted instinctively. “EWWW!”

Once the rolls were cooking up in the oven, the trio prepared a savoury set of breakfast to chow down on while waiting.

Hongseok grabs a pack of sausages from the refrigerator and holds it up. 

“And who doesn't love sausage in the mouth in the morning?” He grins. 

Sua and Seulgi reacted instinctively. “EWWW!”

“Hongie, please stop.” Seulgi pushed his head, annoyed.

Hongseok only cackles evilly. “There’s no stopping me..”

He trailed off when he turned to see Seulgi and Sua each hold a spatula in the air.

He gulps. “Ok ok I’ll stop…”

Seulgi rolls the dough up and Sua cuts it into palm-sized rolls. She pops it in the oven and while waiting they make the icing. 

Hongseok obnoxiously chews on his sausages by their side. “Sooo,” he drawls, “How was the date with Ms. Suit?”

Sua choked on air. “Ms. Suit? Seriously?” She questioned.

Hongseok shrugs. “She wore a suit the last time I saw her. Is there a chance Seulgi and I will see her again?”

This was the only time Seulgi sided with Hongseok, turning to glance at Sua expectantly.

“Uhmm…” Sua didn't quite know what to say. “I don't know.”

“Well set it up! I would love to talk to her properly.” Seulgi nudges her shoulder with her own. 

Hongseok nods, getting in between them. “Besides, it’s not like we’re gonna embarrass you or anything-” 

Seulgi shut him up with a glare. 

Sua elbowed his neck. “You better not.” 

Hongseok choked. “Yeah yeah sorry.”

The usually empty couch was then filled with three buts and Sua being the shortest of the three felt a little trapped as the other two swung their legs onto the coffee table, effectively trapping her from going left or right.

“Why am I in the middle?” Sua complained, holding the piping-hot plate of rolls on her lap. The other two held their own plates to place their own roll. 

Seulgi shrugs. “You always sit in the middle.”

Hongseok speaks with his mouth full of food, “Tats jush ho it ish.” 

The other two gave him confused looks. He swallows with a visible gulp. “That’s just how it is.” He pointedly repeated.

Sua was gonna swing, but Seulgi caught her attention again at the mention of Siyeon.

“Hey, you haven't answered Hongie’s question. How’d it go?” 

Sua sets her fist down, resting her hands on her lap almost shyly. “It went well. We did pottery so we made some cool dishware.” 

The two expected more. “And?”

“That was it.” Sua said, too shy to mention the fact that she had told Siyeon she made her heart flutter.

Seulgi and Hongseok exchange glances, both narrowing their eyes suspiciously at Sua. 

“Uh-huh I think you lyin’ Ms. Kim…” Hongseok shook his head. 

Seulgi shook hers too. 

Sua remembers. “Oh I actually spoke to her best friend for the first time.”

“Ooo who’s the bestie?” Hongseok questions.

“JiU..?” Sua hoped she wasn't wrong. “She’s the CEO of the company Siyeon works at. MinTech.” 

Seulgi lays a hand on her arm, expressing a look of newfound revelation. “Don't tell me you mean Kim Minji of MinTech?”

The word ‘Minji’ rang a couple bells in her head. Sua nods. “Yes, that’s her.”

Seulgi’s jaw drops. “That’s awesome. Joohyun met her during a council meeting and talked about how good of an impression Minji had left on her.” 

This time, Sua and Hongseok exchanged knowing looks. Hongseok lets Sua take it.

“Were you jealous?”

Seulgi’s face reddens. “No.”

“AHAHA THE BEAR’S JEALOUS-!” Hongseok squealed in laughter. Sua shared his laughter in reaction to Seulgi’s flustered face. She hid her face with a pillow.

“Y’all are mean.” Seulgi huffed. “But it makes me realise that this is a pretty small town if everything’s so coincidental.”

Sua agrees to that. “Kind of bizarre but cool.”

Hongseok sighs in loneliness. 

“You’ll find someone when you get yourself together Hongie.” Sua assures him, patting his hair. 

Hongseok feign sobs. “I’m gonna be alone forever!”

Seulgi reaches over to pat his back. “There’s nothing wrong with that either.”

Hongseok glared at her. “Easy for you to say-!”

Sua flicks his forehead. “You should seriously style your hair better though.”

Hongseok yelped, taking out his phone to see if his hair was a major issue in his constantly received rejection of deep love. 

“Okay guys forget the tears, let's get into this movie.” 

Seulgi distracted all of them and they snuggled into the sweet treats to enjoy their day.

 

:

 

[Siyeon’s side]

3rd POV

“Handong, I would like to start off by saying that you have been an exceptional player this quarter.” JiU sipped her coffee, pulling out a sheet of paper.

Handong nods relaxedly with a thankful head bow.

“As you can see here,” She pointed to the list of evaluations that were differently-coloured. “Your overall performance often exceeds expectations, company values consistently meet expectations, communication needs development, and leadership consistently meet expectations - nothing wrong with that, just points for improvement.” JiU kept her tone neutral.

Handong nods again, remaining silent. 

JiU pulls out another yet similar sheet of paper. Both could see that it was from last quarter's evaluation.

She points to overall performance with a pen. “You went from consistently meets expectations to often exceeds performance. That’s an impressive improvement and I see it.” JiU emphasised. 

“However communication has remained in need of development,” In both papers stated ‘needs development’. “I would like to discuss that and see how you can focus on that next quarter.” 

“Understood.” Handong almost robotically replied.

She smiles. “Are there problems leading the managers?”

Handong shook her head.

JiU leaned onto her elbows. Handong’s chin was tilted downwards. “You can be honest.”

The latter looked a little frightened. Siyeon pulls JiU back by the edge of her blazer. 

“Look, Dongie,” Siyeon starts softly, “We are aware of your previous conflict with the manager from finance and we trust that the issue was handled maturely. Has it resurfaced?”

Handong nods. “I do not have the best work-relationship with Mr. Im.” She admits.

Siyeon nods and JiU was about to dial the finance manager when Siyeon stopped her. “That’s not necessary.” She whispered as low as she could.

JiU gave a slight shrug. “Elaborate please.”

Handong bit her inner cheek briefly. “He is very stubborn and resists coming to terms with monthly reports. He oftens asks employees to follow his way of work. They then come to me to file complaints.” 

She pulls out a black file. In it were anonymous paragraphs written about Mr. Im, whether real or not, JiU could not tell. But Siyeon could. 

She took the file as JiU pondered over the matter for a few moments. Her impression of Mr. Im was a loving father of three, but he seemed to be a different person when he’s in charge. 

“I trust you.” Siyeon closed the file. JiU glanced over. “I’ve seen a couple from marketing and finance use this platform to file official complaints to the Supervisor’s office, Handong.” She explained. 

JiU pursed her lips. She didn't like what she was hearing. Has this been going on for a while?

“Do you perhaps have a timeline of these complaints?” 

Handong nods, opening the file to flip the paper. She had made a timeline of complaints onto a table, with the identities of employees from the respective departments.

JiU and Siyeon exchanged a look. “This is very thorough.”

“I do my best.” Handong bows again.

JiU sighed. 

Being her friend of 6 years, Siyeon got used to hearing her different sighs and could quite accurately guess the emotions running through her head. This sigh was almost muted, but held an impossible amount of annoyance accentuated by the slight furrow of her brows. Siyeon knew she was picking out the details to see how she could handle the manager.

“Ok, I take your point and appreciate you going the extra step to gather feedback on Mr. Im’s work ethic. I will arrange a separate meeting with him to discuss that. Is there anything else you’d like to inform me about?” JiU held up four fingers and Siyeon noted it in her agenda. She was to meet the manager in four days. 

Handong shook her head. “I have a pleasant work-relationship with the other managers.” 

JiU nods. 

“Okay, I will look into that matter. In the meantime, keep up your hard work, I respect and am thankful of your dedication to this company. As you’ve seen, we’ve only been taking some of the spotlight in the past two years. We’re aiming to fully secure the spotlight in the next two.” JiU stated her plans determinedly.

Handong saluted her. “I will do my best to help MinTech reach the top.”

JiU clapped. “That’s what I like to hear. Have a good day ahead, Handong.”

“Thank you, JiU-ssi, Siyeon-ssi.” Handong got up and bowed before exiting the room.

While tapping a pen on the table, JiU turned to Siyeon. The woman was pondering over the situation.

“Should I just fire him?” She snapped her fingers, meaning to do it right there and then.

Siyeon purses her lips. “We do have proof, though it’s worth having HR look at.” 

“Okay then I’m handing it in. I can’t have it if there’s distress among the department because of someone I hired. Makes me feel like the bad guy.”

“Oh?” Siyeon was a little shocked. “Since when were you so concerned about people's feelings?”

JiU rolls her eyes. “I’m concerned about their productivity and harmony at work.” 

“That sounds more like you.” Siyeon chuckles.

“To Octagon?”

“Yeah sure.”

JiU handed the bouncer a special pass and he spoke into his walkie talkie, calling an over. A suited man spawned by his side and bowed to JiU and Siyeon before motioning then to follow him with an arm.

“This is excessive.” Siyeon murmured.

JiU picked it up. “No it’s not, it’s security.”

Siyeon sighed. Was JiU planning to get wasted tonight?

She felt her pocket buzz. It was Bora.

Bora 💟:

-Siyeon-ah, I can make it on Sunday, but I’ll be at the library from 9-14…is it possible to pick me up there?-

Siyeon:

-Yes of course eonnie. I’ll be there at 2pm-

Bora 💟:

-Thank you~ Sorry for the hassle 😣-

Siyeon:

-No, no, it’s nothing eonnie 🫡-

Bora 💟:

-Haha, how was work today?-

Siyeon was momentarily distracted when JiU pulled her to her sharp right, and up some stairs. She nearly planted herself flat on her face.

“Si! You nearly collided with a bartender!” JiU scolded.

Siyeon shook her head to orient herself to a darker environment, barely making out the people on the dance floor, and even more by the bar. She blinks back to reality. 

Siyeon:

-Work was fine, we had evaluations. Sorry I took a second, I’m at a club with Minji and clearly I’ve never been here often enough 😵‍💫-

JiU stops walking to peek at who she was talking to. 

“Bora??” She shrieks with excitement. Siyeon covered her affected ear immediately.

“Eonnie, please! Just do your own thing…” Siyeon pushes her hands away.

“Oh come on, I want to show her a live view of the club!” JiU pouted.

The pout goes away when she spots someone among the crowd. Siyeon followed her gaze to see a brunette waitress, who had a tall but small complexion; Minji’s type.

‘Oh no…’ The sounds of protest echo in Siyeon’s head, when she sees JiU’s eyes change, like a predator’s sight set on prey.

“I will do my own thing.” JiU suddenly turned to her with a bright smile, waving her off. “I’ll see you in a couple drinks!”

“Eonnie wait,” Siyeon pinned her down with her tone of words. She was suspicious, and JiU always liked to clarify things. “You’re not gonna just bang her for the night, are you?”

JiU smirked. The playboy kind. “I took that brunette out last time. You know my intentions.” She winks playfully before running away, running away from her chance of experiencing true love.

Siyeon sighed. She followed the steps to the private room JiU had access to, and found herself a comfortable spot on a couch. A waiter walks past to serve champagne, Siyeon helped herself to one and requested for some munchies.

Bora 💟:

-Haha! That sounds fun, have a good time then!-

Siyeon badly wanted to say that she couldn't, because she was always on high alert at parties, making sure of JiU’s safety and her own, along with the crowd of people that were simply put…not her crowd. She preferred calm people which were hard to find in these types of clubs while JiU was out with wild people. Though, her wildness was definitely extreme since she was competing with a fellow acquaintance, Moonbyul, for the… highest body count, an addition to their unhealthy hobby.

Siyeon:

-Thank you eonnie, good night to you-

Siyeon watched through the glass mirror as JiU approached the brunette. She tilted her head in confusion. JiU was usually the type to be full out dominant from the start, grabbing their hips and all that nasty stuff. She maintained a respectful distance from the brunette and chatted with her animatedly by the bar, where it was less noisy…

‘Is she trying to make her a partner?’ Siyeon sipped the champagne.

She knew JiU didn't believe in true love because of what happened to her parents but Siyeon knew better. JiU isn't a fan of multi-commitment; to be committed to her line-of-work and a relationship would be too burdensome on her and they both knew it. That’s why Siyeon gave up on persuading her to find true love. She only hopes that someone can change her mind and lead her to a real relationship…

“Hello,” A voice interrupts her thoughts from the right. She looks to see a woman holding whiskey in her hand. “Are you Lee Siyeon?”

“Yes,” Siyeon nods slowly. “And you are?”

“Ahn Hyejin, Digital Marketing Manager with SK.” She held out a hand.

Siyeon stood up to shake it, before sitting down, welcoming her presence. JiU had a couple connections from SK, most drink buddies but had tagged along with one of their meetings. She had never met Hyejin before though.

“Nice to meet you, Hyejin-ssi. I’m MinTech’s head secretary. I presume that you know JiU?” Siyeon raises a brow.

Hyejin nods. “Not personally but she is acquainted with colleagues of mine.” Her eyes flicker to the dance floor briefly.

Siyeon follows her gaze and sees a woman dressed fashionably with a drink in hand, laughing distinctly.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, is the woman in black Jeong Wheein?”

Hyejin stiffened next to her, Siyeon could feel it. She bites her tongue, wondering if she had said something wrong.

“Yes.” Hyejin approved, her jaw visibly clenched.

Siyeon took a step back in her head. “I met her with JiU some time ago at an Expo.” She explained, distracting herself from the sudden tension of the other by helping herself to a plate of snacks. 

She offers some to Hyejin but stops herself when she sees Hyejin staring intently at something. Or someone. Siyeon discreetly saw that she was looking at Wheein. Was there something between them? On second thought, where was Minji?

She sets her plate down and intensifies her effort to scan the room, looking between turning heads and moving suits to find a dash of violet hair. It didn't help that the lights were multi-coloured and the room was dimmed! She peeked at the bar to see if she was still with the waitress. They were gone.

“I see,” Hyejin broke her thoughts and Siyeon swallowed down the idea that JiU had left the club. She wouldn't have left her behind right? “She did mention wanting to see JiU-ssi before arriving here.” She mumbled but Siyeon heard her.

She was confused to hear the underlying jealousy in her tone. Was there a love triangle? 

“Sorry but, are you and Wheein-ssi together?” Siyeon audibly expressed her cluelessness, assuming that she had been missing out on a lot since the last time she came to the Octagon.

Hyejin faintly smiled. “That’s what I wish. She likes to play.”

‘Well if that doesn't sound like JiU at all…they’re twins.’ Was the first thought that came to mind. 

“Ahh…,” Siyeon nods slowly. “Is it one-sided perhaps..?” She really didn't know how to follow it up.

Hyejin shrugs. “She plays the push-pull game. Sometimes she gives, sometimes she takes. But never fixed.” She smiled sadly. “If only she knew how much I loved her…”

Siyeon’s eyes widened. They’ve got to be more than work colleagues to get that far into confession. “Are you two close?”

“Since middle school.”

Siyeon’s mouth forms an ‘o’. That explained everything.

She sighs. “JiU is like that too,” Hyejin looks at her immediately. Siyeon rushes to wave the assumption of any romantic interest between her and JiU. “No I don't like her like that, but she’s a friend of 6 years and all I want is the best for her, and her to seek the person that fits her. She likes to restrict that chase for short-term pleasure.” 

Hyejin nods in agreement. “I could accept it if she were to settle down with one lover than go around loving more, because that hurts me more.” 

Siyeon could understand, putting herself in Hyejin’s shoes. 

“But you know, I think it’s a universal statement that most people underestimate the difficulty of being in a relationship. No matter how much love, respect, kindness, commitment, and chemistry there is, relationships are really hard. It takes an immense amount of effort from both sides to keep a healthy relationship flourishing for the long term. It’s worth it, but it’s definitely hard work.” 

Hyejin soaked her words in. “Maybe that’s what Wheein doesn't acknowledge, or is afraid of.”

“Yeah, exactly.” Siyeon nods.

“Or maybe she’s just plain stupid.” Hyejin exasperatedly whined.

Siyeon laughed heartily. “That’s the answer at heart, yes.”

The two eventually part ways when Hyejin gets a call to head downstairs to join Wheein, and Siyeon is required to chauffeur JiU. They both exchange incoherent mumbles of complaints, laughing after realising they felt the same. 

“I’ll see you around Siyeon-ssi.”

“See you around.” Siyeon waved her off.

“Si!” JiU lunged herself onto Siyeon. “I had a nice time in the bathroom with-”

Siyeon faked puking sounds to interrupt her ears from hearing any more of JiU’s unnecessary words. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” She screamed somewhat close to her ears. “Why can’t you behave for once??”

JiU didn't even flinch, grabbing at a table for a drink. Siyeon handed her a glass of water. She then took notice of her swollen lips and missing tie. 

 “Where’s your tie?”

JiU spilled some water accidentally but ignored the spill down her chin to examine herself. She was drunk. “Oh I must have tied her hands with it.”

Siyeon's eyes widened in horror. “What?! Is she okay??”

JiU sends her an annoyed glance, but fails as her eyes shut close. “I’m kidding! I think I loosened it and it’s on the floor. Who cares, it was fun! Her lips were sweet…” JiU dreamily continues, resting her chin on her left bicep against the table.

Siyeon shook her head in second-hand embarrassment. “Let’s get you home.” 

JiU grudgingly stood up and allowed Siyeon to drag her to the car, even when JiU came close to throwing up on the pavement.

Siyeon was glad she hadn’t drunk a single shot. If not she couldn't have carried JiU to her own car. She shoves her lightly into the passenger seat and buckles in. 

“You better not puke Kim Minji.” 

JiU reclines the chair and puts her feet up on the dashboard, yawning not so elegantly. “I won’t.” 

Siyeon speeds off. 

JiU gags right after and holds her hand to her stomach.

“Gosh, what can the world do with you Kim Minji?” Siyeon incredulously wonders.

JiU smiles. “The world can take me to its highest heights and leave me there.” She mumbles drunkenly.

Siyeon sighs again, slowing down at a yellow light, expecting an earful from Minji to have sped up and beat it but nothing came. She turned to see Minji asleep.

She fixes her messed button-up shirt and pats her head soothingly.

“You should mature before reaching those heights, eonnie.” 

 

~