~ Chapter 21 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV

 

“Minji, WHAT the hell is going on?!” The words left Siyeon’s mouth the moment she entered her office space. 

The dark cabinets were upturned, it’s drawers jutting out loosely like a broken jaw, the wheels hanging limply on the inner rails, files, thick documents, papers were strewn over the carpet, the edges of the table, the couch, the potted plants that decorated Minji’s desk had seen better days, their poor, wilted leaves scattered across the table while the soil still dribbled down the legs of the table - even Minji’s name plate was on the floor, the dent on its front telling her that it was thrown against something. It looked like the office had been turned upside down. 

Minji herself was upside down. Her body laid helplessly in her seat, legs hanging over the armrest, one sock was off and the other was halfway off. Her head hung painfully off the other armrest, a beer bottle cradled in her arm. Siyeon was quick to notice that her tinted mini-fridge was empty. Handong must have cleaned up the bottles. 

The only thing that seemed to not have been touched, pushed, thrown was her phone. Upon closer inspection, Siyeon realised that her car keys were thrown across the room to land near the bathroom, her wallet a close metre behind. 

But Siyeon noticed too that her phone was not her work phone; it was a lilac-coloured iPhone, the newest model. 

Recovering from the shock of the sight, she first brings Minji to sit up properly, her eyes starting to flutter open, as she smacks her lips in the orientation of her surroundings. 

Siyeon smells the alcohol on her; her hair, her clothes and could easily guess that she had drunk more than 5 or 6 bottles. It sounded about right, considering that the fridge was empty.

“Si,” Minji mumbled, scratching at , in need of water. “What are you doing here?”

Siyeon kept shut, prioritising on moving her to a more comfortable place. She hoisted her up, and felt her bodyweight press onto her. She supported her as best she could while bringing her to the couch that was untouched, thankfully. 

“Drink some water first.” Siyeon pulled a bottle out of her bag to force her to swallow a couple of mouthfuls.

She wasn’t sure of the emotions running through her, there was an influx of them, something was telling her that this was not the first time she had seen Minji in this state. Her mind flashed back to their time at University…

 

-Flashback-

 

Walking up the gravel path to her dormitory, she pulled her baseball cap low, eyes darting back and forth in fear that she would be caught by security. No student was to be out this late. 

Siyeon had just gotten back from an exclusive party she had attended for Minji. For Minji? Yes, she needed to see if this girl Minji liked had her own lover or not, like some cliche romance novel she was too jealous and cowardly to show up and confront her feelings. The girl didn’t even go to their University. She had said that she was behind on some assignments so she insisted that Siyeon stayed for at least 30 minutes at the party before going back. But Siyeon knew her better, Minji was always on top of classwork and often worked ahead. She just wanted time alone in their shared room.

Making it to their door, she removes her mask and inhales deeply, mentally preparing herself.

The girl had a lover.

She opened the door to a quiet and dark house. She was confused. Minji never left the house dark if she knew Siyeon was still out. Her heart drummed against her ribcage. Something must have happened. 

She kicked off her shoes and ran inside, beelining to their room.

The door flung open, and she saw her silhouette sitting on the bench by the window, her lonely back compact as she had brought her knees up to her chest. She rocked back and forth, muffling her cries through her sweater. 

Realisation dawned on her. She had found out already.

 

“Minji..” 

 

“Go away Siyeon.”

 

Siyeon faltered in her steps. Even though their room had a scent diffuser, the unmistakable smell of alcohol penetrated her senses. She squinted through the dark to see the 6 bottles of Cass strewn on the floor, its shiny labels glimmering slighting under the moonlight. Uh-oh, she thought, heartbroken Minji and alcohol didn’t mix well. 

Afraid that something more drastic will happen, Siyeon slowly stepped out, closing the door behind her. She moved to the kitchen and sat on an island counter, thinking.

There was more to the story than just a girl. This girl was someone Minji more than liked, over the course of 4 months. She was almost obsessed. She couldn’t get enough of her, following her socials, reaching out to her when she could, making a move on her when she could, like a stalker at times. The girl may have accidentally misled her, by returning affection on some occasions. Little did Minji know she was hiding her own boyfriend. She was two years older as well, which is why she might have seen Minji as a younger sister than a potential romantic partner. 

Siyeon hadn’t really understood her obsession, the girl was pretty, had a nice and easy-going personality, but nothing to obsess over. Minji was not the type to become emotionally attached to people, she had a switch for that, selectively choosing ‘her people’. Siyeon had a feeling that something had happened between them for Minji to cling onto her like that, and to be so crushed when she realised that it would have never worked out. 

She sighed quietly, hearing the sorrowful weeps coming from the room. She hadn’t heard Minji cry like this before. Usually she would put a timer for how long she would allow herself to cry. It was her way of managing her bottled up emotions that she fails to find something or someone to comfortably release to. Siyeon wished she was someone more for Minji, but she knew she couldn’t, since she wasn’t Minji. No one could help her if it wasn’t coming from her. 

This type of situation scared Siyeon the most, because she couldn’t predict what Minji wanted to do next. Having rarely shown her deeply vulnerable state, Siyeon wasn’t sure on how to help her. She wanted to, but knew she would be pushed away, the words entering one ear and exiting the other. 

She pushed herself off the counter to lie on the couch, the fatigue taking over her. 

Minji cried until dawn that day. 

 

-End of flashback-

 

Siyeon settled on the coffee table opposite her, wanting to keep a close proximity. Minji’s eyes were still half-lidded, the hangover probably kicking in. She groaned loudly, sliding sideways onto the couch. She held Siyeon’s hand, which was new. She could feel the coldness of her fingers, and felt the warmth leave her own hands. 

She continued observing her, watching her eyes wrinkle ever so slightly when she blinked, her eyes a readable pool of emotion. Sorrow. Guilt. Fear. 

Was it Yoohyeon? Handong hadn’t told her much when they were on the phone approximately 20 minutes ago. She had just woken up and was going to enjoy breakfast with Sua. If this was just to babysit Minji who had a wild night, she would not forgive any of them.

“Minji wake up, we need to talk.” She said sharply. 

She kept silent in the past but not anymore. She was going to get her to spill every single detail.

 Minji groaned again, gripping her hand stronger to sit up. “Si I have a headache.”

“I don’t care. You aced midterms with a hangover. You only always avoid your feelings, whether sober or not. So being hungover is the way we’re gonna do this.”

Minji pressed her lips together, crossing her arms across her chest like a toddler. 

“Minji, spill.”

She sighed, her face expressed contemplation. “It’s Yoohyeon.” 

Siyeon didn’t expect to hear pain in her voice, like saying her name was the hardest thing she could have done at that moment. She would soon understand why.

“What about her? You guys broke up?” 

Minji averted her gaze to the floor, pulling her knees to her chest like she did years ago, her face muffled into her sleeves. “She dumped me.”

Siyeon frowned at first. Then chuckled. Her chuckles soon turned into laughter. 

She couldn’t stop it, her body shaking on the table, her eyes welled up slightly, her stomach starting to ache from the intense laughter she had been possessed with. She didn’t know why, she just found it hilarious. 

Minji was horrified. 

Siyeon recovered slowly, “Wait, hah, you’re telling me, you got what you deserved?” She raised a brow.

A tear slipped down her face. “I guess I did.”

Siyeon frowned again. Why was she crying? She usually brushed it off the next day and moved on. Why was she so emotional?

“I didn’t want her to go.” Minji spoke clearly but quietly.

Siyeon heard the regret etched in her voice. 

“I wanted to say sorry and tell her to come back, but I didn’t. I let her go.”

Immediately, this special phrase crosses her mind. ‘You don’t know what you have until you lose it.’ 

“Have you been here since last night?” Siyeon questioned. 

Minji nodded, anticipating Siyeon’s question of how. “I bribed the guards.”

Siyeon shook her head. Ridiculous. Minji did not change. She asked why she hadn’t stayed home instead. 

This one was difficult for her to talk about, Siyeon noticed, the way she opened to start speaking but closed it shut again, as she had done a million times before when it came to her feelings. Her eyes naturally averted hers, staring at the ground a sign of feeling ashamed. She really was heartbroken.

“Because it felt suffocating, and empty.” She mumbled. 

Siyeon knew she wanted to say more, explain more, but it was hard for her to verbalise it. She took what she could get. She also realised the number of hours the two must have spent together…they must have hit it off well after their double-date picnic. It was killing her to not know what went wrong..

“When did this happen?” She got the more basic details out of the way.

“Friday. I had picked her up from her evening shift. She ended it right there.”

Siyeon knew where she worked, Minji had told her a while back. That street was not the safest. 

“Do you know if she got back safely?”

Minji shook her head and Siyeon could sense that Minji wished she had done more. The tears threatened to fall from her eyes. 

“Her roommate texted me saying, ‘CEO on paper, monster at heart. I would have reported you to the media if it weren’t for Yoohyeon’s fragile state.’” Her voice trembled as she recalled the message. 

Siyeon exhaled deeply. Taking this to the media would ruin her reputation. The media would twist it in all sorts of ways and ruin her. But she had her doubts, because it would bring Yoohyeon to light as well, on top of her ‘fragile state’. That would be the last thing she would want, if she was in that position. 

However, it didn’t ignore the fact that Minji seriously hurt her, or at least, affected Yoohyeon in some way.

Siyeon knew it would hurt too much to ask for the reason. 

So she sat by Minji’s side as she started weeping, this time lending her shoulder for Minji to lean on, thankful yet sad when Minji rested her head on her shoulder, her tears soaking through her shirt. Her body trembled, her breathing becoming irregular. Siyeon handed her tissues, offered sips of water and  patted her hair gently.

Minji may not be the best person to date, with her truckload of trauma and her well-hidden emotional baggage, but she was still a good friend, to Siyeon, and to those closest to her. Being in a relationship was still an emotional level she could not comprehend.

That wasn’t to justify her actions, but to shed light on her unstable character off-work. She was relieved to know that Minji felt guilty of her actions. It would simply take time for her to put it all together and ask for another chance, or move on after apologising. 

 

-

 

Sua's POV (3rd)

Sua brushed Hyejoo’s hair into her hands, to help her tie it into a messy bun. Yeri and Winter watched from the side, trying to imitate Sua themselves. They all helplessly failed.

Hyejoo grinned as she checked her hair with her phone’s front camera, poking her tongue out at Winter who was still failing to get her hair up into a bun. Yeri had succeeded after multiple attempts, proud of herself. 

“Well done Yeri,” Sua tucked her curtain bangs behind her ears to see her face better. “So pretty.” 

“Hehe now we’re all matching hairstyles!” Yeri puts her arm around Winter, who puts her arm around Hyejoo. The three skip towards the break room. 

“Noona,” Geonwoo approached her after the girls left. “Siyeon-noona said that I could intern at MinTech after I’m done with school.” He smiled brightly, his signature boyish-smile that Sua had gotten used to seeing, when he’s content about something. 

“Wah~~ That’s fantastic~,” Sua ruffled his hair, thinking back to the morning when Siyeon had suddenly left in a hurry. 

They had both just freshened up in the bathroom and were going to have a light breakfast when Siyeon’s phone rang. It was a colleague, which was a little unusual since it was quite early from their work schedule. Sua had seen the briefest flash of irritance crossing her face as she picked up the call. 

In a millisecond, her face had gone from quizzical, to sceptical, to worried and Sua didn’t know if she was upset by what she was told or was angered. All she knew was that Siyeon had rushed to pack her briefcase and dropped a swift kiss on her lips before leaving, leaving behind a string of apologies. 

“Noona? Noona?” Geonwoo had been waving his hand in front of her face for a second now, regaining her lost attention. “I didn’t get Siyeon-noona’s contact number that day, do you think you could give it to me?” 

Sua caught sight of his hands, ran a quick hand through her hair in an attempt to push her thoughts back. 

“Of course,” She opened Siyeon’s contact information to show to Geonwoo. She hadn’t sent anything since the morning, she must be busy. “Here’s her number.” She pointed at it.

Geonwoo copied it over, and saved it. “Thank you noona! Help me thank Siyeon-noona too for the advice.”

Sua patted his shoulder. “You can also thank her yourself.”

His cheeks coloured. “I’m a bit shy…”

“Ok, ok…” Sua laughed, “I will tell her that.” She ruffled his hair one last time before letting him run off. 

Getting on with work, Sua refocuses on her task at hand, which was to finish processing the festival’s purchases and handle invoices. 

Seulgi and Hongseok sat beside her, conversing in a heated discussion. 

“That can’t happen.” Seulgi spoke in a firm tone. 

Hongseok laughed, “It’s just a piece of shrimp.”

“Maybe because you’re all dudes it’s fine, no way I’m letting Joohyun peel a shrimp for another girl.” She huffed.

“Whipped. Hey we should ask Sua,” He then leans back to see what Sua was doing. 

Having already been eavesdropping on the conversation since two minutes ago, she turns her head to meet his eyes. “Yes?’’

“You’ve heard of the peeling shrimp debate right?”

Sua remembered scrolling through her feed once, coming across this post about balance games and scenarios in relationships. Some were cute, most were extreme. It was a thing here, something like the western version of ‘Truth or Dare’.

“I think I’ve seen it before…I need a refresher though.” She replies with a thoughtful expression. 

“So the situation is, you’re out at a seafood place, and you’re with Siyeon, and Seulgi, for example. Would you let Siyeon peel the shrimp for Seulgi?” He explained, sitting at the edge of his seat.

Sua tilted her head to the side. “Siyeon-ie doesn’t like shrimps.”

Hongseok exhaled with a tone of irritance. “These are hypothetical ladies!”

“Well…is she struggling or she’s just waiting there?’’ Sua continued, feeling like there’s a lack of details.

Hongseok facepalmed, he should have expected this from his ENTJ friend. As an ENFP, he could not relate.

“Give a reaction for both then.” Seulgi interjected.

“I would feel a little…annoyed even if she was struggling,” Seulgi feigned offence, but dropped it remembering that she felt the same when Hongseok used Sua in her situation. “I would absolutely not allow it if she was peeling them out of kindness. Unless she peels for me first, and then her.” Sua made her speech lengthier than she wanted to. But as someone where jealousy came easy, she couldn’t help it.

“I sense some possessiveness.” Hongseok sniffs out of her words, daring to smile teasingly as Suas narrows her gaze onto him. 

“You’re one to talk Hongie…should we bring up the time you were commenting on Jae-”

“SHUSH!” Hongseok screamed in a whisper, his face turning tomato-red. 

Seulgi and Sua could not hold back their laughter. Having known each other for a while, they could remember all the tiny little details that made them tick. It was useful in situations like these. 

“What did you guys think of the perilla leaf debate though?”

“I’m alright with it, I’d be too focused on eating.” Hongseok replied, a nervous smile spreading across his face when Sua and Seulgi stared him down again. “What?”

“First of all,” Seulgi cleared , “No one’s utensils touching hers other than mine.” The meaning of her words hitting her after in the way she blushes. 

Sua shoves her shoulder playfully. “Ya~ Since when were you the possessive type?”

Seulgi coughed lightly, flustered. “Joohyun-eonnie is someone I really like.’’

‘Whipped,’ Sua and Hongseok exchanged with a glance. 

“More like in love with…” Hongseok muttered under his breath.

Sua answered, “I don’t care either I think. Because I don’t eat side dishes…I eat more rice.”

“That’s true,” Seulgi recalled a trio bbq session a while back. “Remember that time when you and I were the only ones chowing down the side dishes? She was stealing all our rice.” She pouted.

Hongseok’s eyes grew wide as he nodded. “She’s a rice monster. I hope the baby’s not the same, or Siyeon’s gonna have a problem when they eat out.”

Sua chuckled at that. Maybe Gahyeon would not be a rice monster, but she sure would have a big appetite. 

“Speaking of the baby, have you two thought of a name for her?” Seulgi curiously turns back to Sua.

Sua nodded, replying after a sip of water. “Gahyeon.”

“AWW!’’ Hongseok squealed aloud, gaining the attention of some visitors. The embarrassment floods in as he quickly squats on the floor to hide his identity. “That’s an adorable name!”

Seulgi is nearly flat on the ground laughing, humoured by the sight of Hongseok being embarrassed. 

Sua gestured for him to sit back up when the coast was clear. In her peripheral vision, she could see a kid sending a side-eye their way, probably thinking they were behaving more like kids than actual kids behaved. 

“Kim Gahyeon…” Seulgi brings them back on track. “I just know she’s going to be an adorable child.”

“I’m gonna be the best uncle ever!” Hongseok pledged. “I will do everything in my power to spoil her.” He saluted as a finish.

“I’m gonna be a way better aunt,” Seulgi turned back to Hongseok with that tone of voice and Sua knew this was the beginning of a bicker.

Sua smiled to herself. Gahyeon would surely enjoy Seulgi’s and Hongseok’s comedic antics. 

 

:

 

The moment Sua got off work, she called Siyeon.

She picked up after the second ring.

-Yes hun?- 

The simple greeting melted her heart.

-Are we having dinner together?-

A quiet sigh was heard from the other side. 

-I’m sorry, Bora, Minji really needs my help right now.- Her tone was thick with concern.

Sua frowned lightly, she grew worried about Minji too.

-Where are you two going?-

-To her house, we might get takeout. I’ll be back as soon as she sleeps.- 

Sounds emitted from the phone indicating that she was moving around, probably packing her things as Sua heard a zipper close. She must be getting ready to leave. 

-Can I join? I’ll cook.- On top of dying to know what was going on, she didn’t mind cooking for them either.

There was a long pause, Siyeon was thinking about it.

-Alright…I’ll pick you up from the library in 20 minutes?-

-That’s good. I love you.-

-Love you too.-

And the call ended. Sua couldn’t help but feel like Siyeon was a little stand-offish about the situation. She understood that it was Minji’s situation and she should mind her own business but she hadn’t ever heard Siyeon sound so worried before, that worried her too. As an overthinker, her mind was going to extreme scenarios that she was hoping was not reality.

Outside the library, the autumn breeze blew by, making her shiver under her thin cardigan. It hit her that they were approaching winter, which was only a month away. 

The Audi she had been waiting to see pulled up and Siyeon got out swiftly to open the door for her.

“Sing!” Sua engulfed her into a hug.

Siyeon missed her, and took in her lingering perfume, having gotten used to her scent. “JiU’s in the backseat um, she’s asleep.”

“Poor baby,’’ Sua mumbled as Siyeon opened the door for her to enter.

She immediately turned back to see her.

Her striking purple hair was slowly losing its brightness, her dark roots slowly showing through. Her lightly chapped lips, weary eyes, tear-stained cheeks hinted at high levels of stress and a recent crying session. The way she laid down along the seat looked like she collapsed onto them, full of fatigue. Sua held back the urge to pat her head. 

She turned back, the thoughts piling up in her head again. She faced Siyeon and a response swiftly came out. 

“I’ll explain everything to you when we’re home, no need to worry too much hm?” Siyeon quietly assured her, holding her hand and interlocking their fingers. At the upcoming red light she switched to pinching her hand lightly. 

Sua nodded, assured. But Siyeon herself looked a little rattled, she noticed. The frequent frowning while she was lost in her own thoughts, the simple pursing of lips every now and then as she checked JiU from the rearview mirror.

“Are you okay Siyeon?” Sua asked after a couple minutes.

Siyeon gave her subtle glance, “Yeah. Just hungry.’’ She offered a quick smile.

Sua nodded, but not as convinced this time. 

At JiU’s place, Siyeon told Sua to stay put so that she could open the door for her, reasoning that she never knew what could happen to her. 

“If you fall then at least I’m here to catch you.” 

Sua grabbed her tie tightly to kiss her before she went to wake JiU.

“I’ll let you off this time.” She whispered in her ear. “You better make up for it.’’

Siyeon gulped nervously. “Yes ma’am.”

She opened the door to the backseat to see JiU looking at them with a devilish smirk. 

“Y’all stopped too soon, the smooches were getting intense.” 

Siyeon kicked her shin mercilessly, unable to hide her reddening face. Sua seemed unfazed, simply bursting out in laughter. 

“I’m sorry to meet you in this condition,” JiU said as soon as she alighted. She leant down to rub her shin, the pain still lingering, a broken smile adorning her groggy face, “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you."

Sua saw her hand reach for a handshake so she hugged her instead, wanting an informal barrier between them. 

JiU was slightly taken aback by the straightforward action, but leaned into her warm and inviting hug. As she rested her chin on her shoulder for a moment, she felt a burdensome glare from her right. Oops, Siyeon was here too.

“That’s alright JiU,” Sua patted her back comfortingly, “I’m happy to meet you either way. Why don’t we go in and I’ll cook you a delicious meal?” She pulled back to fix her hair, which had been mussed up.

JiU didn’t know how one could not go soft for this woman. It’s been two minutes since they had properly met and she was treating her dearly. 

“Siyeon, help us with our things please. Let’s get this beauty some rest.” Sua took JiU’s arm in hers, motioning for her to lead the way. 

Siyeon had mumbled something incoherent under her breath behind them, which caused Sua to stop in her tracks. 

She turned back with a look full of attitude, “Did I hear you say something Sing?’’

“No, my love,” Siyeon was immediately at attention, two briefcases in her left hand and Sua’s belongings in ehr right. JiU could see the bulging of phones in her pockets. “I am ready to assist you.”

With a satisfied nod, Sua turns back around. Just before JiU follows suit, she sees Siyeon’s fear-filled eyes narrowed into daggers towards her. 

“Tell me JiU, what would you like to eat?” 

“I’m JiU, I eat anything.’’

Sua took a second to process that answer before laughing heartily. “We have a foodie here I see.”

JiU nodded, food was one of her greatest happiness. “And alcoholic."

‘Oh no, no, no…’ Siyeon felt an alarm go off when JiU said that. 

“EEEEK~!” Sua suddenly screeched, “Once this baby’s out, you and I are going drinking.” Sua boldly stated.

“It seems to me that maybe you’re the more dangerous one here?” JiU teased. 

Sua smirked knowingly, “Oh you know my tension goes through the roof with the spicy juice.”

“HAHA!” JiU chortled, “Spicy juice!…That’s too good. Oh and as much as Siyeon seems like she can drink, she actually can’t.” JiU dropped her tone to a whisper.

“I heard that Minji.” The latter unhappily interjected as they reached the lobby from the parking lot. 

“Oops, totally didn’t mean to let that slip,” She snickered, and Sua laughed with her.

‘This really was a bad idea…’ Siyeon thought to herself, now having two of them against her. 

“Sing, just try to control me well, if not I might be a problem.” Sua threw over her shoulder like some instruction that Siyeon was obligated to follow.

She sighed audibly, following suit as the lift door opened. She steps in and leans onto the railings, briefly taking a glimpse at Sua and JiU’s contented faces. The topic had moved from food and drinks to a recently trending variety show, Street Woman Fighter. 

As much as she knew the upcoming hours would include being bossed around, she was touched to see the swift connection between her two best friends. Especially JiU -  it was easier for her to fake a smile than express a genuine one. Talking with Sua, her eyes scrunched up the way they did when she was really enjoying something, her composure dropping from a prim and proper stature to a more relaxed one, using more vibrant hand gestures and losing that formal touch she wore 24/7.

Maybe JiU needed someone like Sua to get out of her emotional hole. Experience that vulnerability is a means of growth and knowing who will protect you, not associated with being weak. Her father wasn’t an example of that, and JiU carried it over to her adolescent years into adulthood. 

Siyeon felt more and more assured of it as she observed them talk into the night, the conversations becoming deeper and full-bodied, like they were laying their hearts on the table. She occasionally joined in, but focused on tidying up JiU’s space. She had ordered an express delivery box of ingredients to JiU’s house after knowing that Sua wanted to cook. For that JiU never cooked, only baked. She had staples, and side dishes delivered by her mother but that was it. 

She had whipped up a feast of grilled butter abalones and stir-fried soy garlic chicken, which aroused their appetites greatly. She prepared a bowl of multigrain rice to keep them satiated. The dessert would be the strawberry-cream roll Siyeon had tucked into the order last-minute.

JiU lifted her soda-filled glass when the plates were set. 

“Cheers to this wonderful evening?” 

“Cheers~”

“Cheers.”

~