~ Chapter 26 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV
 

Rather than her alarm clock, Sua woke up to her phone ringing of a group call - the culprits being the kids of the library team. After rubbing her sleep away, she picked up, choking her mid-yawn to see all of them with their bright and energetic faces. They must be working already.

-Eonnie!!- Yeri and WInter cheered.

-Good Morning!- Hyejoo bellowed, in a deeper voice than usual.

-Noona!- Geonwoo tried to fit his face into the screen as well.

“Wha-?” Siyeon grumbled beside her as she sat up slowly, leaning her head against Sua’s.

-Kids! What’s up?- Sua ruffled Siyeon’s hair gently. 

 

-Hey it’s Siyeon-eonnie!- Hyejoo noticed first.

-HI EONNIE!!-

-WAHH!-

-Siyeon-noona!!-

 

Sua and Siyeon instinctively close their ears at the sudden jump in volume. Siyeon managed a wave for the expectant and sweet eyes. 

-Wait, hold up right there…- Hyejoo narrowed her eyes. -You two live together?-

-Of course dummy, how else will they take care of their baby?- Winter stated.

-Don’t you want to live with someone you love? They love each other!- Yeri added.

-And they’re both adults- Geonwoo added a more rational thought. 

-Yes, we love each other. Thank you girls, Geonwoo.- Siyeon acknowledged their replies.

Sua giggled aloud,but got serious. -Hyejoo-ah! Don’t forget to take the trash out today!-

-Ugghhh- Hyejoo groaned under her breath, muttering incoherently as she slid out of the screen. 

-Yeri! Winter! Please vacuum thoroughly.-

-Fine, mom.- They rolled their eyes, and focused the screen on Geonwoo.

-Geonwoo, keep Hongseok in check please.-

-Haha! Yes noona- He saluted.

Hyejoo barges back into the screen, expression full of betrayal. -How come he doesn’t get any nagging? Remember what he did last week?? When he took the wrong cart and mess-

-Okay kiddo calm down now,- Siyeon interjected. -I’m sure eonnie had a reason for saying that.-

-Hyejoo, I nagged out of tough love. Because you always take the trash out at the last minute!- 

The betrayed teen snatched the phone. -That’s because there’s always so many bags and the steps are so annoy-

-Alright Hyejoo, let’s hear your rants another time.- Yeri took the phone back.

-Yes, my ears are about to bleed.- Winter covered her ear. -Eonnie-duls! Enjoy your trip to Daegu!-

 

-Enjoy!-

-Have a fun time!-

-come back quickly- 

 

 Both of them waved goodbye.

“The kids are as joyful as ever.’’ Siyeon endearingly commented. 

Sua stretched her back before standing up. “I know but they make me feel my age everyday…”

“Haha,’’ Siyeon made their bed. “In what way?”

Sua leaned against the wall to face her. “Just the other day they were all huddled over a teenage novel, discussing what a cassette tape was.’’ She sighed with a shake of her head.

“Oh my my my,” Siyeon paused mid-unfolding of the blanket. “They don’t know what a cassette tape is??”

“No…” Sua sadly responded. “We have reached the time where the youngest generation is clueless about CDs…”

“Oof.” That was a bigger punch to their youth than cassette tapes. CDs were such an essential part of their youth. “The kids will never know how good they have it.”

“True.” Sua smiled faintly. 

“But such items are timeless. What I really want Gahyeon to at least know, or grow to love are vinyl records.” She wished. 

Sua gasped. “That is a good one!’’

Siyeon proudly nodded, and bent down to tell Gahyeon, “You little girl, will be getting all the classics.” 

“I’m sure she’ll love it.” 

“Alright then, shall we leave?”

“Let’s go!”

Just before stepping towards the door, they made sure (for the 5th time) they'd packed everything they would need, especially warm clothing.

“Oh yeah I forgot to tell you this, I’ve got an acquaintance that works at a heattech company. She’d sent us a box of their latest collection for the winter.” 

“Ah!” Sua was delighted to hear that. “Is it in the green box?”

“Yep.”

“Oh I’ve heard a lot about the brand. Hongseok is their number one fan, or so he claims.” Sua recognised it.

Siyeon chuckled, lifting her shirt to expose the heattech shirt inside. “It really works.”

“Wait, Sing-ah.” Sua was suddenly serious.

“Hm?”

“Did you bring your work items?”

Siyeon closed the zipper of her backpack which definitely did not contain any work-related items-

“Siyeon…”

“Just my laptop.” Siyeon surrendered. 

JiU had told her to fully relax on the trip and just spend time with Sua, she’d be able to handle things with Handong, but it was just something unfamiliar to her. 

Sua narrowed her eyes. “I thought you were taking leave.”

“I know hun but I can’t.” Siyeon pleaded. “Just in case they need help to handle something…I’ll control myself, I promise.” She held her hands, sincerely looking into her eyes.

Sua held her gaze for a moment. “Fine, but don’t let me catch you up at night trying to reply to emails.”

“I won’t hun.” Siyeon pressed a kiss on her forehead. 

Satisfied, she picks up her handbag and the two head out to the Audi. 

“How long is the drive to Daegu Station?” Sua wanted to confirm.

Siyeon looked at her watch, 11.34am. “It shouldn’t take us more than three hours. Leaving now beats traffic,’’ Siyeon always leaves after peak hour, nearing lunch time. “We’ll stop at rest stops on the way to fuel up so don’t worry about food.”

“I was about to confirm if we were stopping to get sotteok (sausage-tteokbokki skewer) on the way.’’ Sua excitedly suggested. 

“Of course love,” Siyeon opened the passenger door for her, “We could never miss that opportunity.” She grinned as she closed the door.

“Eeeek~! This is so exciting, it’s been forever since we’ve been on a proper trip/date together!” Sua exclaimed once she was feeling warmer in the heating car. 

“I’ve been looking forward to this too eonnie,” Siyeon shared her sentiment. “I will ensure that you’ll have a fun time in Daegu.”

Sua smiled widely, but it faltered slightly at the brewing concern she had since that day. 

“I hope your family will like me.” She sighed softly.

Siyeon reached over to grasp her hand in hers, taking her foot off the pedal. “Bora, don’t you worry about that, I’m confident that they’ll love you like I do. I’ll always be by your side no matter what happens okay? And if you say the word, we can even head back right away. I swear.” She didn’t want her to be occupied over that.

Sua’s eyes grew bigger. “No, no it’s okay, I can handle whatever happens, I just hope to get a good reaction of course…it’s a little nerve wracking…”

Siyeon wished she could say something more comforting, but she herself knew it was better to leave it by itself. “I understand, just don’t get worked over it alright? You’re the love of my life, and I’ll show that to them, to the world. You and Gahyeon are the most precious ones to me, ok?” She firmly responded.

Sua nodded, “Okay, thank you.” She felt her heart flutter at the way Siyeon said ‘You and Gahyeon are the most precious ones to me…’ It was something she’d always want to hear, but without requesting it. 

They leave the apartment complex and start driving towards the inter city highways. Sua was in charge of music, thus she chose songs that best fit the atmosphere of their trip. 

“I’m going to start us off with Heize,” Sua pressed play, and her sweet voice of her latest release, ‘Stranger’ fills the car. 

“Oooh I love this one.” Siyeon starts mouthing along. 

Sua smiles in recognition. “It’s a nice song. Any requests?”

Siyeon drummed her fingers along the steering wheel. “Maybe we could do a playlist that gradually changes from genre to genre?”

“Ah,” Sua understood her words. “You don’t like mixing up too many genres in a playlist?” She questioned.

“Yeah well, I don’t wanna hear an EDM song after Heize’s, my vibes would be a little confused.” Siyeon replied, “You get me?”

Sua nodded slowly. “I guess so, I’ll be sure that there are no different genres played after each other.” SHe hovered a thumb over a song. “A r&b song is okay after a pop song right?”

“Ah, yes, it’s not that specific but...thank you hun.” Siyeon kissed the back of her hand. 

Both shared a content smile.

Three songs or four passed by when Siyeon broke the silence. 

“13th February is getting closer…isn’t time just flying by?” She shook her head in wonder.

Sua nodded, rubbing her belly. “I know, Gahyeon will be with us soon.” 

“So soon.” Siyeon smiled gleefully. “I can’t wait to meet her.’’

“What would be the first thing you’d do?” Sua questioned. 

Siyeon hummed to herself. “Firstly in the delivery room? Probably gawk at her tiny size, compare her face to the size of my palm. Maybe cry a little, or the worst-case scenario passes out from her cuteness. Once we bring her home, I’ll be using the best of my knowledge to baby talk to her. Ooh! I just know that she’ll be an adorable little child.” She rambled away.

Sua gasped lightly. “Wow…have you been thinking about all of that?”

Siyeon glanced over. “Have you not? I’m serious when I say it.”

Sua felt something at that. She then felt Siyeon’s deep love for her. The way she spoke about their future, Gahyeon…it was giving her signs towards marriage. 

“Of course I think about it too,” Sua responded softly, “I just didn’t think you would too.” 

Siyeon frowned her brows for a millisecond. “Do you think I think about work all the time or something?”

Sua nodded curtly. “Well, I know that you think about us too but…’’

“You didn’t expect me to think that far?” Siyeon filled in the blanks. “I will devote my everything to you two.”

Sua let a squeal out. “I love it when you say such lines, I really feel that you’re sincere and that you won’t go back on your word.”

Siyeon smiled with her, but then it faltered, when her thoughts went in another direction. Was Sua saying this because she was traumatised by her past? Was her family so insincere to her that she was constantly doubting her commitment to their relationship? Their future? Did she need consistent assurance from her?

“Sing, could we host a baby shower in December? Combine it with the Christmas and year-end atmosphere of that month…Oh, doesn’t the idea sound so pretty?”

Siyeon shook her thoughts off, focusing on her. “We have to! We’ll have quite the list to invite if we’re hosting friends from both sides. What do you have in mind?”

Sua opened an app on her phone, the one with all her chosen ideas of decorations and general layout for the party. She was a dreamer indeed. 

“You must have saved tons of ideas on your phone.” Siyeon concludes after hearing only consecutive, Sua-like excited exclamations and not words. 

“How’d you know?” Sua tilted her head briefly. 

Siyeon smirked. “You made the same exclamations when we discussed Gahyeon’s bed.”

“Woah…” Sua paused in scrolling for a moment. “You picked up on that?”

“Of course hun,” Siyeon squeezed her hand. “I love observing all the little sounds you make.”

Sua giggled and continued finding her ideal aesthetic for the baby shower. 

“We should arrange a buffet and choose fun activities or games to do together…couple games sound good too…” Sua found herself murmuring idea after idea, voice trailing off.

Siyeon stifled a chuckle. “Should we cater food then? That would be easier on us. Maybe we could just handle decorations and games.” She suggested.

“Hm, good idea. Do you have anything in mind for activities?”

“I think we could also do a lucky draw. Depending on how many people we invite, we could arrange 10-15 gifts ranging from small gifts like handwarmers to bigger gifts like electronic devices or skincare sets.” It was the first thing she could think of, having watched a couple youtube videos on year-end parties. 

Sua laughed heartily. She liked the idea. “Everyone would love that. I’ll write that down. In terms of guests…I would  invite Seulgi and Hongseok at the minimum…the kids as well but we don’t have enough space.”

Siyeon made sure she was in the right lane, not towards any highway exits before replying, “We can book a function room, I have contacts. From my side I don’t have many to invite apart from JiU…that’s if she’s reconciled with Yoohyeon then both of them, Handong and Yubin I’m not sure either…” Siyeon thought deeply about it. For all that’s happened in her circle, she felt that they were destined to come together.

“Oh my JiU and Yoohyeon, what are we going to do about them?” Sua shook her head. “Has JiU updated you with anything? She’s told me that she’s spoken with Handong and is trying to figure out what to say to Yubin.”

“Yubin? Why?” 

Sua switched to her chat with JiU. “Handong told her to do so…didn’t you hear about that too?”

“Oh yeah… Handong texted me about that I think, because Yubin really cares for Yoohyeon, Minji is basically seeking approval from her before approaching Yoohyeon. That’s a smart move.” Siyeon couldn’t help but agree.

Sua hummed. “She doesn’t have to say much either. If Yubin’s reasonable, she'll hear Minji's side of the story and hopefully learn about her as a person. Subsequently, explain how she’ll make time to establish a proper relationship with Yoohyeon. They should work out fine. Yoohyeon I’m worried about, it seems that she hasn’t had much or the best dating experiences either.” She voiced her thoughts. 

“True that…I have faith Minji will say or do the right thing but she isn’t the type to articulate her emotions well, so I don’t know if she can ‘convince’ Yubin of anything, she might be sincere enough to get a second chance. I assume Yubin would keep a close eye on her. Though, I wonder about Yoohyeon and Yubin’s friendship, they must be friends for a long time like Minji and I.” 

“They could be. By the way, should we do something as well?”

“Hm?” Siyeon darted her eyes between the lane and the map. “How?”

“Connect with Handong and Yubin, help Minji with giving gifts to Yoohyeon like we discussed last time…you could be used as an apologetic cover, as Minji’s best friend. I’ll make sure Yubin warms up to us at least.” 

“Apologetic cover…” Siyeon laughed at that description. Hilariously accurate. “What am I? Damage control?”

Sua laughed with her. “Indeed, damage control. I’m sure you're used to that, being friends with JiU.”

Siyeon sighed. “You know it. But yes, okay, let’s work on that when we get back. For now, let’s just have fun on our own.’’

Sua leaned over to kiss her cheek. “I love that.’’

“Sorry we got off-track there,” Siyeon remembered about the baby shower. The music had switched to EDM/Rock so she switched the volume down. “Shall we continue discussing the baby shower?”

“Oh right! So I think I’ll invite the kids but send them back early so we adults can have fun.” Sua typed it out on her notes app. “If I remember correctly, you are acquainted with Miss Irene/Joohyun? The town’s council member?” Sua questioned. 

“Yes, I met her at the book festival.’’ Siyeon recalled. “What about her?”

“She’s dating Seulgi, remember?”

“Ohh yeah,” Siyeon blamed her goldfish memory. “I don’t speak personally with Irene but we meet once or twice a year, only business related..”

“I see, the baby shower’s a great opportunity for you to get to know her better.” Sua encouraged her.

“I guess so. What else do we need to consider for the party?”

Sua scrolled through her notes. “Let’s see now…guest list, buffet decided, menu choice to be confirmed, we’ll book a function room, gift lucky draw, oh what about decorations?”

“Ah right. We could do that ourselves.” Siyeon knew a good shop for partyware supplies. “Balloons, streamers with Gahyeon’s name, or with ours as well. I would love to put up pictures of her ultrasound for everyone to see. She’s grown from the first time I saw the ultrasound of hers, in the pickup truck, on our fourth date.” She wished hopefully.

Sua’s eyes widened. ‘’Yah…I barely remember that. You’ve seen her before then!’’ She exclaimed in amazement.

“It feels like ages ago that I was wondering how to talk to you without being too burdensome and wondering if you enjoyed every second spent with me or not. You were so excited to share the pictures with me, Bora. I could never forget that.”

“That’s so sweet. It is beyond me that we ended up here. I could have never expected this.”

“Me neither hun.”

“Display ultrasound pictures…” Sua mumbled to herself as she typed it in. “Further? I think just make sure there’s sufficient benches, and tables big enough for food, gifts to be given and received - probably…then we’re basically set.’’ She happily summarised. 

Siyeon excitedly chuckled. “I can’t wait.”

“Are you planning on anything for Halloween?’’ Sua looked through her October agenda.

“Umm,” Siyeon didn’t remember any fixed event happening…maybe just a party to attend with JiU among their close friends oh that-

“JiU and I have been invited to an industry friend's Halloween party. It was cancelled last year so they, as in the ‘friend group’, seem quite persistent about it.” Siyeon replied with a tone of uncertainty. Uncertainty of attending the party.

Sua switched her phone off and put it away to focus on Siyeon. “You should attend it! It’ll be fun, no?”

“I mean, I’d rather spend time with you.” Siyeon honestly replied.

Sua grinned affectionately. “I know, but I’m also celebrating halloween with the team on the 31st. You should attend the event too. We’ll be together again at home Sing.” 

Siyeon pouted. “Do you not want to spend time with me?”

Sua turned to her with an incredulous look. “I guarantee you so much of my time in the past few months and you say that to me?”

“You know the moment I leave the house alone or drop you off to work I miss you already.” Siyeon expressed her clingy side.

Sua raised a hand to caress her hair. “Aigo, is my singnie sulky?’’

Siyeon jutted her lower lip out. “Mhm~↘️”

“Don’t be…” Sua repeatedly kissed her cheek resulting in a fit of shrieks from Siyeon. She stopped to respond, snuggling into her arm. “I just want to make sure you have time for yourself, and meet other people. You tend to stay at home a lot.” Sua pointed out. 

Siyeon pursed her lips to the side. “Okay…only for one day then?”

Sua nodded firmly. “I don’t want to be apart from you for too long either.” She thought about the event Siyeon’s would be attending. It would finish late, no? “Just don’t come back too late and definitely not drunk.” She warned. 

“Of course not my love, I will behave and return at a time for the both of us to enjoy before bed.” Siyeon assured her.

Sua smirked. “Maybe we could spend that time in bed.”

Siyeon bit her inner cheek. “Not while I’m driving Bora.”

“Why?” Sua slid a sneaky hand onto her thigh. “You’d get ?”

“How can I not?” She helplessly replied as Sua’s fingers slipped under sweater. 

“Hehe,” Sua caressed her skin. “I love seeing you squirm.” Her eyes held a devilish grin, something Siyeon wished she hadn’t seen in a brief glance. 

“Before I stop this car and take it to the back, you better take that hand back.’’ Siyeon narrowed her eyes towards her, but kept it on the road. 

Sua listened. If it wasn’t for the rest stop being a couple kilometres away, she might have given in to temptation of a quick makeout session-

“Do you wanna eat outside or in the car?” Siyeon zoomed in the exit so that she wouldn’t get it wrong. 

Sua peered outside, seeing the sky empty of any sun, the only warmth she’d be provided by sitting outside were heat packs. But again, those are hard to use while eating.

“In the car! With the heater on…” She sheepishly requested.

Siyeon nodded. “I think that’s the best idea. For that, I’ve brought a tray that we can fix between the seats so that we can enjoy our meals worry-free of spillage or mess.” She revealed.

“As expected, you prepare for everything.”

At the rest stop, they quarrel a little over whether or not Sua should follow Siyeon to the rest stop. It was cold, the air was dry, Siyeon didn’t want Sua to walk outside without physically supporting her, something she couldn’t do if she was holding all the food. 

“Okay fine, let’s go. But you never let go of me, okay?” Siyeon relented. “And you wear a shawl.” She didn’t find a buttoned up coat sufficient in such dry air. 

“Yay!” Sua wore one around her neck, matching Siyeon’s. “Let’s go!!” She placed a hand on the handle but was stopped.

“What are you doing? I will your highness,” Siyeon got out of the car and waddled to Sua’s door to open it for her with her right, extending her left hand out for her to hold. “M’lady.” She announced, letting go of the door handle to place it under the car door frame, to prevent any head bumps. 

Sua grasped her hand with her own, her heart jumping for joy when Siyeon immediately slid their interlocked hand into her coat pocket like couples do in dramas. She snuggled her head into her neck contendly. 

Under the roof of the rest stop, lots of people roamed around carrying trays with trembling limbs, walking swiftly yet carefully to tables near the heaters. Siyeon led them to a stall among the many others, to get some skewers first. 

“Fishcake too!” Sua whispered in Siyeon’s ear as she ordered.

Their skewers were bagged up in a flash, allowing them to move on.. 

They wandered away only to stand in the centre of the area, eyes darting around to find the most appealing stall. 

Siyeon pinches Sua’s fingers in her coat to grab her attention. “Should we do Kimchi-jjigae and rice?” 

Sua liked that, but also had her eyes on a dessert stall. “Can we please get hotteok too?”

“Oh, we must.”

They acquired their food with some waiting in lines and headed back to the car. “I can’t wait to dig in!” Sua nearly hurried in her steps if it weren’t for Siyeon holding her tightly.

Siyeon escorted back to her seat until she was fully inside before going to the driver’s seat. She set up an eating tray to place the food. Sua began eating the skewers as Siyeon unboxed the stew and rice, preparing a set of cutlery for each of them.

“Singnie ah~’’ Sua held a skewer out for Siyeon to bite into.

She took a bite, the warmth comforting her. “Let’s wait for the food to cool down.” She saw the piping hot steam rising out of the containers and knew she’d burn her tongue at first bite.

“Can we switch the music back on?” Sua asked.

“Go ahead hun.”

Sua pressed play. “Do you always stop at this rest stop when you visit Daegu? You must take the same route right?”

Siyeon blew on a spoon of soup to feed Sua first, “Yes, I took the car and train before, but with the car I stop here to fuel up or eat.’’

Sua happily ate the spoonful. “How long do we have left?’’ 

“Two hours? Maybe just under.’’ Siyeon replied between munches of rice. 

They begin eating at a regular pace when the food is cooled to a just-nice temperature. 

“What did you do last winter?” Sua questioned.

“Last winter?” Siyeon searched her memory. “I went skiing with JiU in Niseko, in Hokkaido.” She responded.

“Oh can the two of you ski?’’ Sua didn’t know that.

Siyeon nodded. “JiU is definitely better than me, bolder as well, if she sees a hump, she flies over it. She annoyingly sprays snow in my face too.’’

Sua laughed aloud, imagining the scene play out. “I’ve never tried skiing before. It’s on my bucket list.’’

“We should go when Gahyeon is able to. An active winter trip with the three of us.” Siyeon took her phone to search for an appropriate age for kids to learn to ski. Depending on their motor skills it may vary, but 12-18 months seem to be the range to put them on skis. “Is there something you want to do this winter?”

Sua chewed slower while in thought. “In our town there’s not many places that decorate Christmas stuff so I guess I’d like to go to Seoul and walk though Lotte World or Everland and enjoy the festive atmosphere with someone, which is you.” 

Siyeon nodded enthusiastically. “Let’s do that! Maybe after the baby shower.’’

“Okay!”

Back on the road, Sua uses a tablet to watch a drama, pushing her chair back for legroom and reclining the chair, propping her neck up with a pillow attached to the seat. She was making herself at home. 

“There’s a blanket at the back if you need it eonnie.’’ Siyeon recommended it when she found Sua pulling down her leggings as low as possible.

“Oh no worries, I’m comfortable.” Sua also thanked her considerate suggestion.

:

:

-At Daegu Station-

Before driving into the parking lot, she dropped by the gas station to leave a full tank. She drove in and scanned her spot for long term parking. She texted Soeun, her older sister, that she had arrived. 

“Soeun, Soeun…” Sua mumbled under her breath, wanting to make sure she got her name right. “Is she older than me?” She questioned.

“Uhh born ‘92, so yes.” Siyeon responded.

“Soeun-eonnie, Soeun-eonnie…” Sua repeated.

Siyeon chuckled slightly upon hearing her. “Cute.”

Soeun drove her car next to theirs to make the transfers of baggage easier. Siyeon nudged Sua when she saw the familiar car.

They all got out at the same time, meeting at the front of the cars. Siyeon engulfed Soeun into a hug and the two exchanged quick greetings. Sua saw the resemblance between the two siblings. 

“Now now, who’s this girlfriend I’ve been hearing about?” Soeun pulled away to take a good look at Sua. “My my, she’s beautiful.” She complimented with an endearing tone. 

“Ahem,” Siyeon intervened, to allow Sua to introduce herself.

“Hi, I’m Kim Bora, please comfortably address me as Bora.’’ 

Soeun grinned sweetly, surprising her with a hug. “I’m so glad to finally meet you Bora! My name is Soeun.” She felt her baby bump and gasped. “Are you…?”

Sua nodded nervously. “Yes.”

Soeun looked between the two of them, then at Siyeon. “Wow you two must have been together for a longer time than I expected.” She thought that they had conceived a baby ‘together’.

Siyeon glanced at Sua for approval and she gave her the signal. “The baby’s from her previous relationship.”

“Ohhh,” Soeun’s curiosity was piqued but she pushed it aside for later. “How far along are you then?”

Sua could answer this one. “Close to six months now, expected in early february.” 

“I see, I see, you must be having indigestion and heartburns.” Soeun was quick to relate.

Sua nodded in agreement. “Do you have a kid already?” 

“Yes! She’s six months old.’’ Soeun exclaimed, about to continue when Siyeon interrupts.

“I love the chat going on here but it’s best to leave from here before we freeze our butts off.”

“Right, sorry.” Soeun caught herself, pressing the button on her car key to open the trunk.

Sua went ahead to open the passenger door to retrieve her belongings as Siyeon spoke to her. “Sit in the backseat hun, Soeun-eonnie and I will transfer the items.” 

“Okay! Thank you.” Sua thanked them in advance, feeling the pressure in her lower back.

Soeun expressed liking to Sua, impressed by their closeness having only been together for a short period of time. 

“Aren’t you gonna put a ring on it?” Soeun showed off her own, “You even call her ‘hun’.” She pointed out.

Siyeon smiled softly. “I want to, actually. But I want to find the right timing. Things are a little hectic right now with our winter baby on the way.”

Soeun halts in her movement for a second. “Oh yeah? I was only half-joking but you seem serious about her.”

Siyeon nodded firmly. “I am, Bora, as cheesy as it sounds, makes me really happy and complete. I don’t see anyone else filling my time as meaningfully as she does.” She admitted,

Soeun clapped her back proudly. “I’m so proud of you, Siyeon. You know, mom and dad will be happy with another grandchild. I believe they’ll welcome Bora with open arms. She’s a sweet girl.’’

Siyeon only smiles at her words. “She’s pretty nervous about meeting them.”

“Who wouldn’t be?” Soeun closed the trunk. “I’ll shoot my shot at assuring her.”

“Thanks sis.’’

During the drive to the house, Sua and Soeun engage into a deeper conversation about life with a baby and Siyeon occasionally inputs her own comments or questions. She was elated to see them get along well, with matching humour and thoughts. Soeun also reasons that mom and dad were chill, and that she was confident that they would give a good reaction.

But even with assurance from the two, Sua still felt nervous. Her heart was beating faster than normal and she wished that time would stretch out more so that she could prepare herself. She actually had plenty of time to mentally prepare beforehand but still, closer to the moment, that feeling arises. 

Siyeon held her the entire time, checking up on her every few minutes, kissing her forehead or running a thumb over her furrowed brows.

As they parked into the driveway, Siyeon turned to Sua. 

“Let’s go hun.” Siyeon prompted, offering her hand.

Sua took a deep breath and grabbed it.

Soeun opens the door for them and ushers them in, as she would take care of their baggage. 

Siyeon breathes in the smell of her home, before kissing Sua reassuringly on the lips, twice. Sua held her gaze for a moment. They took off their shoes and walked into the living room.

“Siyeon-ah!! You’ve arrived?” Her mother’s voice fills the air from the kitchen, as they walk in. “I’ve prepared your favourite perilla leaves with soybean soup.”

“Thanks mom.” Siyeon replies, wrapping an arm around Sua’s waist, pressing another kiss on her head. “I brought a guest,”

Her father is seen to be exiting the bathroom, as Siyeon’s mom exits the kitchen.

They meet in the living room, welcoming the sight of their daughter, then Sua.

“Who’s this beautiful lady?” Siyeon’s mom questioned innocently and seemed to not notice her baby bump from the front. 

Siyeon adjusted her arm on her waist, which didn’t go unnoticed by her parents, along with the assuring gaze towards Sua that came right after. 

“Mother, father, I want you to meet the love of my life. Kim Bora.”

 

~

Author's note:

Happy New Year everyone!