~ Chapter 9 ~

At the end of the rainbow 🌈

3rd POV

In a blink of an eye - or week, Bora and Siyeon were together again.

“Yah ! Why did you leave me on read??”

 Their date begins with the usual chaos.

Siyeon supported Bora’s lower back with a hand even though the smaller woman was jerking her shoulders back and forth.The taller woman craned her head at an angle to protect her face, patiently waiting for Bora to calm down. The soon-to-be-a-mother huffed in slight annoyance, releasing her hands from Siyeon’s shoulders defeatedly. Siyeon could only grin in amusement, poking her forehead with affection..

“Sorry eonnie.” Siyeon sincerely apologises, “I’ll be sure to reply next time, I promise.” Her eyes said it all.

Bora was immediately satisfied with her apology. “Okay, but if you really didn’t have time it’s alright.”

Today’s activity was a pottery class. A little different from their previous dates but still just as enjoyable they were sure. Bora suggested taking the bus or subway as the area was not accessible for cars. They’d walk a lot less too with the other two options.

“No subway.” Siyeon suddenly sounded fearful.

“Sure, we can take the bus.” Bora replies smoothly, but rests her gaze on the woman for a second longer. “You’re scared of the subway right?”

“Haha...” Siyeon hid her slight embarrassment by turning her head away, “Yes.” She admitted.

“HAHAHA↗️↗️!” Bora bursts into laughter at the revelation, and an immediate expression of disbelief crosses Siyeon’s face. She begins to walk away.

“Wait, wait!” Bora quickly catches up to Siyeon, still laughing as she grabs Siyeon close to her again. 

Siyeon could only look at her with pursed, unamused lips. 

“It’s just cute~” Bora hugs Siyeon from the side, her comment reasoning for her laughter.

“Tsk.” Siyeon scoffs and crosses her arms.

“I won’t tease you anymore.” Bora regained composure, pulling Siyeon with her towards the bus stop. She got her answer when Siyeon didn’t give any resistance.

In the bus, Siyeon made sure Bora was safely seated before sitting herself. The bus was thankfully empty.

“What time did we have to be there again?” Siyeon questions as she looks over at Bora, who turned out to be searching for the exact same detail. Bora motions for her to shift her gaze towards the phone.

“3:45-ish? We’re arriving at 3:40 so we’ll be on time.” Bora assures.

The amount of buffer between timings nearly had Siyeon’s blood pressure rise. She didn’t like being late and always liked being extra early. She wanted to be polite though so she didn't say anything.

Bora read that off of her face. With a knowing smile, she points it out, “Do you have a feeling we’re gonna be late?”

Siyeon grabs Bora’s hand to gently play with it. She nods, “Was it obvious?” A hint of apologeticness was heard in her tone.

“Yes,” Bora replies with a hearty laugh. “But no worries, I’ll be sure to arrange plans earlier next time so that you’ll be more at ease.” She squeezes Siyeon’s hand that was holding hers.

Her response caught Siyeon’s slightly off-guard. She was touched, but was more surprised that Bora was quick to say that for her.

“O-oh...thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

They then share a comfortable silence, Siyeon trying to register Bora’s bold and touching words which went right to her heart while Bora was contemplating on whether she should make a bowl, or a cup, or a plate...she really couldn’t choose easily. Not to mention the colour...

“Eonnie, what’s your MBTI actually?” Siyeon breaks it, recently having done the popular test, she was impressed to see how scarily accurate it was. The research was done thoroughly. “I’m curious to see how similar we are.”

“Ooo wait a second,” The question successfully distracts Bora from her train of thoughts, “I have my result here somewhere...” She searches through her photo album. Passing through the photos they had taken at the park, Bora stops at a hilarious one.

“Hahaha sorry to get distracted, but I couldn’t stop laughing the whole week looking back at this,” She pulls up the photo of Siyeon trying to stuff a tofu pocket in . “It’s so funny!”

Siyeon herself has to laugh upon seeing it. “Haha, I recreated it perfectly.”

Sua finds the results. “My mbti is ESFJ.”

“Ooo~ I’m an ESTP.”

“ESTP...” Bora mumbles to herself, face concentrating as if she was trying to figure something out. “We’re half alike then.”

Siyeon nods in agreement. “I just know you’re a definite ‘F’.” She half-teased.

Sua gave her a pointed look. “Are you trying to tell me something?” 

“No!” Siyeon innocently grinned.

Entering a shop-filled district, the two crane their necks left and right to pinpoint the building. An out-of-place banner that stuck out of a building was the jackpot.

Siyeon spots it first. “There it is, eonnie.” She motions to the banner that says ‘Pottery And More!’

“Ooo~” Sua exclaims, quickening her steps. “Let’s go!”

Siyeon adjusts to her pace. “Woah there okay!”

The two walked up a short flight of stairs to find a simple studio that visually showcased all the expectations of a pottery place. Neat rows full of unique ceramic potteries. Other decorated ceramics adorned the pearl-white walls with the handcraft touch of a master; the award photos that lined the adjacent wall proved that.

“Welcome!” A lady in her mid-twenties greets them, cheerfully smiling as she spreads her arms open.

“Hello!” “Good afternoon.” Sua and Siyeon greeted her in return simultaneously.

“Are you perhaps Ms Kim?” The lady faced Sua.

“Yes, I’ve made a reservation for two today.” She replies politely, following the lady to the register.

“Yes I have your reservation. You may set your belongings on this table here and sit at the central table there for the making process.” The lady motioned to the specific areas.

Siyeon helped Sua place her purse with her own mini-bag, before walking to the central table by her side. 

“Do you want to sit opposite me?” Sua questioned.

Siyeon preferred to be next to her but nodded, a little shy.

“There is some physical effort needed to work the clay and mould it…is that alright with both of you?” The lady clarified.

The two nodded and the lady proceeded to give them a piece of paper each.

“Before we get started with the clay, you’ll have to design your item; it could be a plate, bowl, spoon or cup but make sure you have a clear idea of its shape.” 

Sua picked up a pencil, tapping it against the table thoughtfully. The lady excuses herself to retrieve the clay.

“I don't really know what I want.” She admitted after a while.

Siyeon chuckles. “Me neither.”

“There’s too many options but…I think a plate…” She hums, looking around at the other objects displayed. “Or maybe a bowl? They’re pretty too.” She spots a marble cutlery set and gushes. “Sing, look how pretty that is!”

“Eonnie, stop changing your mind!” Siyeon jokes, feeling her phone start to buzz in her hand.

She makes eye contact with Sua who gives her an ‘ok’ sign. Siyeon mouths ‘sorry’ to her.

 -Hello?-

-Si!-

Siyeon's eyes widened slightly. Sua watches on now curiously, observing Siyeon’s reaction.

-Minji? What do you want?-

Sua raises an eyebrow, finding that Siyeon sounded a little aggressive but dismisses the thought that it was a client. The name she used rang a bell.

-I just wanted to go for drinks. Are you out?-

Siyeon glances at Sua briefly. She catches her curious expression and smiles.

-Yes, I’m out.-

-You sound like you’re smiling.-

-I wasn't.-

-Yes you were!-

-Ok I was now hang up.-

-What Si! Can you go for drinks or not?-

-No I can’t sorry.-

-Why notttt…you skipped last week too.-

-You know why.-

-Wait…ARE YOU WITH BORA RIGHT NOW?-

JiU suddenly screamed into the phone that Siyeon immediately put it away from her ears, visibly wincing.

Sua expectantly gazes at her.

“It’s JiU, my boss, friend, the world’s biggest loser.” Siyeon quickly told her.

-HEY! I HEARD YOU SIYEON!-

Siyeon jumps from her seat with a frown as Sua bursts into short laughter. 

-Hi there!- Sua introduces herself. -I’m Kim Bora.- 

She naturally takes the phone from Siyeon who simply…lets it go. She had a feeling she would regret that.

-Hello Bora-ssi! I’m Kim Minji, a dear friend of Siyeon’s.-

Bora smiles when Siyeon rolls her eyes dramatically.

-And so I’m told~- She replies.

-Please, address me as Minji, any friend of Siyeon is a friend of mine.- 

Sua liked how chill she was, sporting an amused look at how Siyeon was visibly stressed…probably over what JiU would or could say.

-Well Minji, if I’m not mistaken, we are of same-aged so you can address me as Bora too.-

-You a 97’??-

-A proud leo.-

-OH MY GOD THAT’S SO COOL!- JiU’s pitch suddenly took a spike. But Bora kept the phone near her ear, not fazed.

Siyeon’s jaw dropped from the other side, able to clearly make out what JiU was screaming about over the phone.

-HAHA↗️ why do you say that?-

-It’s very hard to find people my age in this industry. I can count them with my fingers. Anyways…are the two of you out on a date?-

Sua was about to reply but Siyeon whispered a question, which was to put the call on speaker. Sua complied, then replied.

-Yes, at a pottery place.-

Siyeon closed her eyes in fear.

-Oooo~ So those hands like touching smooth surfaces hu-

-Right! So I think it’s time to finally decide on a item design…-

Siyeon glances shamefully at the lady who stood at a distance, who smiled patiently at them.

Sua acted like she hadn't heard JiU, even if she had found her amusing. 

Siyeon gives them both an apologetic smile. 

-Eonnie you have a meeting to attend to.-

-Oh yeah! It was great talking to you Bora, hope you guys-”

Siyeon presses the red button. 

“Haha! She’s so nice!” Sua commented with a knowing smile.

Siyeon shook her head. “To a certain extent, yes. But she can run for miles- and not in the most appropriate of ways.” She emphasised.

Sua laughs again. “Well, I would have liked to speak with her longer…” 

Siyeon gulps nervously but covers it up with a smile. “Maybe next time.”

They finished up their sketch and checked in with the lady. 

“You want to make a plate?”

Siyeon nods. “Is it possible to get clay with blue hues? It’s my favourite colour.”

“Of course! We have plenty of blue.” The lady turns to Sua.

“Unlike her I am unsure of my plan,” She chuckles, “I wanna make a bowl kind of pot. I’ll add a flower with broad leaves and flower petals that match my usual attire. Pastel probably.”

“What colour will the background be?”

“White.” Sua decided.

“First we'll wear an apron.” The lady pulled out two beige aprons for them to wear. “Then we’ll cut a piece of clay from here,” She sets a cylinder-shaped plastic bag on the table. She holds out a thread whose ends are fixed onto wooden handles. “Stretch it by pulling in a parallel line.”

Siyeon goes first and cuts a block of roughly 4cm. She looks at the lady cluelessly after the thread goes through.

“Tear it off!”

Siyeon does so and has a lump of clay in her hands. She bounces it in her hands.

“How big does it have to be?” Sua asked as the lady positioned the thread.

“Big enough to make a bowl. Better too much than too little.” The lady motioned for Sua to slice it off.

“Ha!” Sua exclaims as she rips the clay off. 

The lady proceeded to bring out a tray of colours, telling them to mix their clay with any colours they pleased. As Siyeon requested, the lady provided her with different shades of blue to mix into her clay. Sua was looking for a suitable colour when an item on the wall caught her eye.

“Can I make that colour?” She points to a glossy, bronze clay.

Siyeon shook her head. ‘Already changing plans before starting…’

The lady explained that that colour mixture was not available. Sua sulked a little and Siyeon ,

“No need to be so fussy eonnie.” 

“Yah-!”

The two followed the instructions to knead closely, Sua picking it up faster as she had baked plenty of times before. Siyeon got one or two more demonstrations from the lady. Sua pinches the sides of her clay before folding it into two and kneading it against the table. Siyeon resorts to tearing the clay into small pieces before mashing them together again.

Siyeon suddenly sighs. “It’s a lot harder than I expected.”

The lady laughed. “That’s a common phrase here.”

Sua curled her hands and pounded the irregular-formed clay, startling Siyeon.

“Gosh that was loud.” 

“Hehe sorry.” Sua apologised, but continued drumming the clay.

Siyeon shook her head in disbelief with a smile. 

After a while of kneading, the clay was starting to mix with colours, the visible difference pleasing them both. Sua gathered the clay and rolled it out with strength. So much so that the table shook back and forth.

“Bora!” Siyeon yelped, nearly losing grip of her own clay. 

Sua stops immediately. “Sorry, sorry. I am too passionate.” She sheepishly replied.

“It’s best to come here when stressed out.” Siyeon commented, resulting in laughter from both.

“My mind is really complicated right now.” Sua frowns delicately. 

Siyeon laughs, knowing how much Sua cared about her art. 

“They look good,” Their instructor compliments, “Don’t use up all your energy on ripping.”

Siyeon’s lump of clay was soon approved of the lady, while Sua still had one other lump to knead as she requested for three colours.

“Help me rip this..” She requested, seeming tired out.

Siyeon stifled laughter. “I’m too tired, eonnie.”

Sua casts a defeated gaze on her clay. 

They moved onto the next physical activity which was to slam the clay onto the table. This is done to remove all the air bubbles from the clay.

“AGH-!” Sua naturally exclaims as she slammed it down.

Siyeon exchanged a frightened look with the instructor.

The instructor cools her down by spraying water onto the clay, so as to not let it stick against the wooden table. She does the same with Siyeon after a couple slams.

“Ooo that colour is going to be really pretty.” The instructor told Sua, coming around to examine her clay closely.

“Oh really?” Sua exclaimed with a grin.

The instructor nods, flipping the clay. “The colour mixed really well.”

Siyeon checked her own, satisfied with the visible blue swirls. “How much longer do we do this?”

“Until the people downstairs complain.”

“Haha!” Sua and Siyeon laughed.

Siyeon took a pause after her 20th slam, feeling her arms starting to burn. Sua laughs at her tired state.

The instructor comes over with a knowing smile, spraying some water on the clay. “Imagine someone you hate~”

Siyeon thought for a moment. 

“BAM!” The clay landed with a thud. 

“You suddenly got stronger..?” She joked and Siyeon nodded in agreement.

With the clay ready, it was time to roll it out into their desired shapes. The instructor brought 2 wooden rollers over, first instructing them to flatten it. 

“Woo, that's perfect!” The instructor pointed to Sua’s round yet flattened clay. “Seems like you’ve made pizza before huh?”

“HAHA↗️” Sua uses her hand to imitate the twirling of pizza dough in the air. Siyeon notices with a shake of her head.

“You’re too talented.” She mumbles.

“Haha noo~”

Siyeon’s clay was approved with help of the instructor and they soon received their pottery wheels. The fun part!

“Whoo-!” Sua spun it with some strength, creating some wind. 

“Eonnie be careful!” Siyeon warns. “The clay might fly off.”

Sua was quick to stop it with an innocent grin.

“Okay, with a sponge and water, we will wipe the surface and smoothen it like this.” The instructor demonstrated.

Sua and Siyeon copy-pasted the actions attentively.

“Place a dish on top of the clay you like, and cut off the excess with a knife.”

Sua suddenly squeals and Siyeon perks up. “I’m so nervous.”

“What why?”

“That I’ll mess it up!” Sua stated the obvious, bouncing her knees.

“There’s nothing to ruin.” The instructor assured her. “Leftover clay can be used to make props.”

Slowly but surely, they gather the clay into a more regular shape, with smooth ends, ready to put on a mould.

“Woah there’s so much variety!” Siyeon exclaims, starting to feel a lot more enthusiastic about pottery. 

Sua nods, reaching for one a little behind. “Ooh ooh this is it.”

Siyeon turns her head to see, accidentally facepalming into Sua’s shoulder. 

“Oops, you alright?” Sua hadn't seen her.

Siyeon nods, “That’s the closest to your drawing.”

Back at the table, they flip the clay over onto the mould, to first chisel it to shape and smoothen out any rough edges. Sua sits next to Siyeon this time as the chair has cushioning. Her tailbone was starting to get sore.

“You two are a few of the faster learners I’ve had.” The instructor says, impressed.

“Thank you.” Siyeon politely replies.

“It’s fun!” Sua reasons as she removes the clay from the mould to fix any overlapping of the high edges of her bowl.

“This part is relaxing,” Siyeon added. “The first few steps were hard.” She feigned exasperation with a dramatic sigh.

“HAHA↗️ that’s true for anyone.”

As the instructor took away their clays to bake, Sua and Siyeon went to wash their hands.

“I’m so glad we’re done.” Siyeon puffed her cheeks before exhaling completely. 

Sua giggles. “Was it tiring?”

Siyeon rolled her eyes at her slight mocking tone. “Obviously a little. And I’m not that artsy.”

“Awwh did you enjoy it at least?”

‘Eonnie made it enjoyable…’ Siyeon thought to herself.

“Yeah. I think it’ll come out pretty.”

“I know so.” Sua is convinced.

They wrap the class up with applause and the instructor gives them a card with a number on it.

“These will be your creations to be picked up in two weeks.” The lady explained. “However, the smaller props like the spoon and shot glass,” She winked at Siyeon, “can be picked up in a week instead.” 

“Since when did you choose to make a shot glass?” Sua questioned, unaware of that.

Siyeon hid a smirk. “JiU-eonnie texted me to make one for her.”

“What about mee…” Sua pouted, feeling betrayed as a fellow alcohol-lover.

Siyeon shook her head, taking Sua’s hand to drag her out of the pottery place before she could get her hands on yet another project. 

“Thank you, have a nice day!” Siyeon bid farewell to the lady while Sua resisted her pull, eyes boring into a display of shot glasses at one corner of the room.

“Take care now!” The lady waved them off. ‘They’re such a cute couple.’ She thought to herself.

:

-Eonnie why do you keep calling me??- 

-Minji!- Bora exclaimed from the passenger seat.

-Bora!! How’d it go?- Siyeon looked (heard) on in disbelief as JiU didn't bother replying to her first, but Sua. 

The latter once again, took the phone out of her hand and put it on speaker mode.

-Did you tell Siyeon to make you a shot glass?-

-Duh. I’m an alcoholic.-

Sua gasped. Siyeon grimaced.

-I’M AN ALCOHOLIC TOO!-

Siyeon covered her ears in pain, squeezing her eyes shut. She opened them a moment later, only to close them again upon hearing Sua’s laughter mix with JiU’s. 

“Ear-screeching,” she muttered under her breath.

-I um, heard from Siyeon that you’re pregnant?-

Sua nods proudly, even if JiU wasn't physically there. 

-4 months in. 5 to go.-

-Ooo, once that baby’s out I can take you out for drin-

-Watch your words Kim Minji.- Siyeon was swift to cut her off. 

Sua whipped her head to her in amusement, making Siyeon realise what she had said. She slapped her hand over , hiding her blushing cheeks.

They heard a cough from the other line.

-I’m not gonna steal her Ms. Protective, I just wanna introduce her to my favourite bars.-

Sua chuckles as Siyeon removes her hand to reveal her cheeks. She didn't like how JiU was mocking her. She let it go when Sua ruffles her hair.

-Fine.- She grunted.

-I would love that! You know Siyeon was telling me about wine bars..-

-Oh yes you have to visit the one Downtown, it’s a must experience.-

Siyeon was afraid of how enthusiastic Sua was getting, almost bouncing in her seat as if they were about to head to that place.

-Eonnie, I need to bring Sua home, please save this talk for another time.- Siyeon intervenes.

“Sing!” Sua protested, trying to take the phone back. “I wanna know more..”

-Ahem, you should get plenty of rest Bora, take my word that I will treat you to a lovely drink after 5 months.-

Siyeon rolled her eyes at how specific JiU had to be.

-Thank you so much! Have a good day!-

-Bye loser.- Siyeon hung up.

Sua laughed at her abrupt ending. “What's the secret to your friendship with her?”

The words rolled off her tongue. 

“Transparency and trust.” 

Sua nods. “That makes sense.” 

In the bus, they split Siyeon’s wireless earbuds to listen to some of their favourite comedy specials. They sat all the way back so as to not disturb anyone with their mess of giggles and commentary.

“Fluffy is great.” Siyeon wiped a fallen tear from laughter.

Sua squeezes out a few of her own. “The sound effects are everything.”

While caught up in the jokes and laughter, Siyeon hadn't realised how…close they were. Physically. Their shoulders were touching and Siyeon had held her phone up with her left arm, occasionally switching to her right. No matter which side, Sua would lean into her whenever she laughed, spreading her melodious laughter that Siyeon sometimes found funnier than the jokes. Though it made her wonder, was this a sign that Bora was comfortable with her?

“Are you good?” Sua murmured, lifting her head off her shoulder.

“Huh? Yeah.” Siyeon gave her a quick grin. 

Sua nods and rests her head back.

Siyeon's heart skipped a beat. 

At Sua’s apartment, they spoke one last time by her door. 

“Thank you for bringing me all the way here, you could've gone further with the bus.” Sua’s eyes shine gratefully.

It was all Siyeon needed to see. “It’s not a problem. I like to ensure you’re back safe and sound.” 

Sua suddenly hugs her tightly. 

Siyeon is shocked but responds appropriately, circling her arms around the latter’s waist gently, careful to not put any weight on her. 

She felt breathing by her ear.

“I love that you’re so considerate, it makes my heart race.”

Sua pulled away to gaze into Siyeon’s eyes for what felt like an eternity. In reality, it lasted too short and she broke it to enter her flat.

Siyeon stood there for a good minute, trying to process what she had said. ‘Makes…my…heart…race??’ She repeated in her head. Those were her feelings too!

“Bora, you make my heart race and flutter at the same time.” Siyeon thought, slamming her hand across after she had realised she had said it out loud.

She sprinted away with the most lovesick smile on her face.

~