twenty-three

shut up

Karina woke up with Winter beside her. The younger girl looks peaceful in her sleep. Para bang hindi maldita kapag gising. 

"Stop staring, it's rude," Karina automatically smiled when she heard Winter's voice.

"You look pretty, strawberry," sabi ni Karina. Winter rolled her eyes before turning to the other side of the bed. She sighed.

"Look at me, Winter." The older said with a pout. Winter looked back at her with a frown.

"Alam mo, ang aga pa para makipag-away sayo." Karina chuckled and snuggled closer to the shorter girl. She hummed as she kissed Winter's nape.

"We're not fighting, Winter. Good morning," she whispered. 

She nuzzled her face on the younger's back. Like it is the most normal thing to do when she wakes up. 

"Karina, stop. Nakakakiliti," Winter reprimanded. Biglang humigpit ang yakap sakanya ni Karina. 

"You okay?" Tanong ni Winter at iniharap na ang sarili kay Karina. The latter smiled, this time, sadly. 

"I just don't get it." 

"Get what?" She asked and fixed the strands of Karina's hair. She cooed gently at the sight. 

"My father dared to cheat on my mother, the supposed love of his life. I don't know what pushed him to do such a thing, is it us, his daughters? Or is it his wife?" Winter looked at Karina with a reassuring smile. Hindi rin naman nya alam kung bakit may mga taong nagchecheat. 

"People are needy and greedy," sabi ni Winter. Karina stared at her.

"You would not do that to me, right?" Something inside the younger girl breaks. Not because Karina thought that she could do that, but because the innocent and whole Karina is gone. This Karina is different.

Masyadong malaki ang naging trauma na dinulot ng tatay nila. 

"How could I do that to you, my love?" Winter held Karina's cheeks and kissed her forehead. 

"Just know that I would be faithful to you, even if we're not anything officially," Karina said and kissed Winter on the lips. The younger smiled. 

"What is the meaning of this?!" Naitulak ni Karina palayo si Winter. The latter fell on the floor, but first. 

"Ouch," she winced. Agad namang tumayo si Karina at binuhat si Winter paupo sa kama. She checked the shorter girl's body thoroughly.

"Sorry, nagulat lang ako." She whispered. She stood up straight and smiled coyly at her mother.

"Good morning, Mommy." She said. 

"Good morning po, Tita Mommy!" Winter exclaimed. Kapansin-pansin ang magkaibang personalidad nilang dalawa. Karina is sometimes calmer than Winter. 

"Ano yung nakita ko?" She asked with a raised brow. Sakanya yata nagmana ng katarayan ang mga anak niya. Winter cleared .

"Manliligaw ko po ang anak nyo,  Tita Mommy." Proud na proud na sabi nya. Sino ba namang hindi magiging proud kung si Karina Yu ang manliligaw?

"Manliligaw? Bakit kayo magkatabi sa kama? At bakit din kayo nag-mamake out?" Nakataas ang kilay na tanong ng matanda. Napatingin naman si Winter kay Karina. The latter kissed her. Dahil competitive sya, hinalikan nya rin pabalik. 

"Mommy, can we please talk about this over breakfast? Baka nagugutom na rin si Winter. If you want, I can call Chaewon and Tita Mama." Lumapit si Karina sa nanay nya at hinawakan sa balikat. She pushed her mother gently and looked back at Winter.

"Fine fine! Mag-ayos na muna kayo ni Winter, and please lang mga anak, no kissing in this house kapag hindi pa magjowa or mag-asawa," the woman said before leaving. 

"Do you want to wear my clothes?" Tanong ni Karina at nagbrowse ng pwedeng isuot ni Winter sa walk-in closet nya. The younger nodded her head eagerly. 

"Yes, please!" She answered enthusiastically. Karina giggled and shook her head. 

"Do you want to be my girlfriend, Winter?" The older suddenly asked. Natigilan naman si Winter. She stared at Karina, looking if the girl is serious. 

"I want to, of course. Hindi naman kita hahalikan kung wala akong balak na gawin kang girlfriend ko." 

"But?" Winter raised a brow.

"Anong but ka dyan? Pwet?" The younger asked sarcastically. Lumapit sakanya si Karina na may hawak na oversized shirt at shorts. Iniabot nya ito sa dalaga at tumalikod. 

"Tanga. I mean, but what? I can sense kasi na may kasunod na pero ang sasabihin mo," the older said. Nagsimula ng maghubad si Winter para palitan ang pantulog nyang damit. Mamaya pa naman sya maliligo.

"But you have a lot of things in your plate right now. Malapit na rin tayong maging graduating student. Malapit na rin pala ang birthday  mo. And to top all of that, Greg and your mother is filing a divorce. Which means lang na maiipit ka sa gitna." Sabi ni Winter. She stood up and tapped the older's shoulder. Sabay silang pumunta sa may bathroom ni Karina para gawin ang sari-sarili nilang morning rituals. 

Karina looked at Winter through the mirror.

"Ano naman?" She asked.

"Having a girlfriend might take a toll on you, Karina. I am happy with what we have right now. Nandito lang naman ako, hanggang sa maging okay ka na," Winter said. Nagtitigan muna sila as may salamin bago itinaas ni Karina ang dalawa nyang kamay para sumuko.

"I understand. Speaking of my coming birthday, do you want to spend that day with me? Bakasyon na rin naman next week," tanong ni Karina. Winter grinned.

"Of course, my love."