sixteen

shut up

"So, shall we sleep?" Tanong ni Winter. Nakaupo sya sa couch sa loob ng kwarto ni Karina. 

"We can, but why are you there? Hindi ba sabi ko beside me?" Tumayo si Karina at hinila si Winter papunta sa kama. 

"Baka kase sipain mo ako. I wouldn't want my body to bruise, you know." Sabi ni Winter. She's lying, of course. 

Just thinking of sleeping beside the older girl had an incredible effect on her. Paano pa kaya kapag totoo na? 

Karina scoffed before tackling the younger girl to bed.

"I won't hurt you, Winter." Bulong ni Karina. Her arm and leg are on Winter's body. 

She closed her eyes and hummed. Sleeping like this is heaven. She can sleep throughout the day, and she won't even complain. Masyadong komplikado ang nararamdaman nya kay Winter. And she is afraid of admitting that maybe Winter is the one. 

"Are you asleep, Yu?" Winter whispered gently. She felt the younger girl fixing her hair. 

"I guess you're asleep na," bulong nya ulit. Karina pretended to be asleep. Hindi nya rin alam kung bakit, it just felt like the right thing she could do in that moment. 

Winter shifted and hugged the older girl back. She nuzzled her nose on Karina's neck. 

"Ang foolish lang na inaaway at inaasar kita noong bata tayo just because I found you so attractive. Napaka-cliche na nagpaapansin ako sayo nang ganoon. But you know what? I really did look at you like my nemesis." Tumigil si Winter sa pagsasalita. She is caressing the older girl's hair. Who is this Winter? Is this the same Winter who threathened her with her pencil way back grade school? 

"You inspired me to do better. You pushed me harder than anyone else, in a good way. But then, there is always a thought in me." Winter sighed. She kissed the crown of Karina's head. 

"If we were friends first, would it be easier to admit that I am so in love with you?" 

Karina felt asleep after that. Bukas nya na lang siguro pproblemahin. Let her have this one night of comfort. Ano naman kung mahal sya ng kaaway nya? 

Winter woke up alone in the older's bed. Hindi na nya napansin na nakatulog sya kagabi habang kinakauap ang natutulog na si Karina. Bumaba sya para hanapin si Karina.

"Ate Tiff, where's Karina?" Winter asked when she saw the oldest Yu in the dining area. Tiffany looked at her with a raised brow.

"Dito ka pala natulog? She left early. May gagawin daw syang importante," napakunot ang noo ni Winter. Bakit naman hindi sya ginising ni Karina? 

"Sure, Ate. Thank you po," lumabas sa bahay ng mga Yu si Winter at pumasok sa bahay nila. She needs to get ready for school, and talked to the older girl. Aayain sya mag-overnight pero iiwan lang din naman pala sya kinabukasan? Ano to? One night stand?

"Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" Bungad ni Chaewon habang nakatingin sa kakambal nya.

"I am not in the mood, Chae." Sabi ni Winter at inirapan ang kakambal. Chaewon snorted before shaking her head.

"Get ready for school, then. I'll wait for you here," she pushed the younger girl to her room before walking back to the couch. 

Why the hell did Karina leave without saying anything? May nagawa ba sya kagabi? They were fine before they went to sleep! 

It is not possible that the older girl is awake while she admits her true feelings, right? Tulog naman na si Karina noong sinabi nyang sobrang in love na sya sakanya, hindi ba? 

Nagmamadaling bumaba si Winter sa may living room. Hindi pa maayos ang pagkakatuck-in ng blouse nya sa skirt nya. Hindi pa rin nya naisusuot nang maayos ang neck tie. Hinigit nya si Chaewon palabas at papasok sa kotse nila.

"Bakit ka ba nagmamadali?" Tanong ni Chaewon at tiningnan si Winter. The latter is a mess. 

"I love Karina." She said.

"I know," natigilan naman si Winter.

"What do you mean, you know?" She asked.

"I am your twin sister, Win. Tsaka palagi nyo akong kasama ni Karina. I see things," she explained with a warm smile. It is nice to see her sister finally put a label on the feelings she had for the older girl. Chaewon has waited long enough. And she knew that Karina wouldn't admit anything too quickly. 

"So you knew before I even knew?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Winter. 

"Mismo!" 

"We'll talk about that later. Karina left me inside her room, without any notes. Hindi nga alam nila Ate Tiff na sakanila ako natulog," Winter ranted. 

"Oh? Ano namang problema?" Inayos ni Chaewon ang uniform ng kapatid nya. She even fixed the younger girl's hair. 

"Last night, when she fell asleep, I may have confessed my feelings for her." Napatingin si Winter sa labas at napansin na malapit na sila sa Westview Academy. 

"Sure ka ba na tulog?" 

"Hindi na sya sumasagot noong kinakausap ko sya!" Winter answered. Chaewon shook her head.

"Tanga mo naman, Win. Baka kasi gising pa," the younger glared. Alam naman nyang tanga sya pero kailangan ba ipamukha?

"Oh sya, try to greet her later. We'll figure things out after that," Chaewon tapped her shoulder. 

Hinanap agad ng mata ni Winter si Karina pagpasok nya sa classroom. She saw the older girl on her seat, reading a book. Lumapit sya at kinalabit ang balikat ng nakakatanda.

"Good morning," she greeted with a smile when the taller girl looked at her. Nawala ang ngiti nya nang irapan lang sya ni Karina.

"Get out of my sight, Kim."

She was definitely awake last night. Oh gosh.