nineteen

shut up

It is the day of the contest. Hindi naman sila kinakabahan. Maybe because it's too early to be anxious. 

Malamig sa loob ng venue. Kaya naman halos yakapin na ni Winter ang sarili nya. She cannot look at the taller girl. Because after she told her, she loved her during their lunch break, Karina just kissed her on the lips and left her without saying anything. Karina did not contact her during the weekends. Hindi naman sa hinihintay ni Winter ang tawag o text ni Karina, bakit naman nya hihintayin?

"Take my jacket," bulong ni Karina at ipinatong ang jacket nya sa balikat ni Winter. Mint invades the shorter girl's nose. 

"Thank you," sabi nya at isinuot ang jacket. Umupo na sila sa table na nakaassign sakanila.

"Behave kayo," turo ni Jaemin sa dalawa. 

"Please," Karina muttered under her breathe. Hinintay nilang magsimula ang contest. 

For the first round, may natanggal na 10 schools. Buti na lamang at may break muna sila bago magsimula ang second and last round.

"Saan ka?" Chaewon asked when she saw Winter standing up.

"Comfort room lang, pre. Naiihi ako," sabu nya at naglakad na papunta sa comfort room. 

Pumasok na sya sa isang cubicle at umihi. After doing her business, she went out to wash her hands. 

Habang naghuhugas ng kamay, may biglang nagsalita sa tabi nya.

"Oh my! You're Winter Kim from Westview Academy, no?" Sabi ng babae sa tabi ni Winter. The latter bowed her head politely. 

"Ah, yes. Do I know you?" She asked. The girl shook her head and hands.

"Oh no, you don't. But I do know you. Actually, I am one of your competitors for the finals!" She said excitedly. Winter chuckled and smiled. 

"Well then, good luck Miss?" 

"Yunjin. Yunjin Huh." The tall girl said with a grin. Yunjin, huh. 

"Kanina ka pa sa Win—" napatigil si Karina at tumingin kay Winter at kay Yunjin. She raised a brow. Pumunta sya sa gilid ni Winter at inakbayan sya.

"Excuse me, Miss. She's mine, off." She said and gently pulled Winter outside the comfort room. 

"Why did you do that, Yu?!" Galit na tanong ni Winter. She pulled her arm and sighed angrily.

"I'm just saving you from a flirt, strawberry." 

Inilayo ni Winter ang sarili nya kay Karina. Sobrang mixed signals, nakakainis na. 

"She is a friend, Yu. And I am no damsel in distress," she uttered and rushed to their table.

"Oh? Okay ka lang Ate Winter?" Tanong ni Wonyoung. Winter smiled a little. She won't ruin this because of personal reasons. 

"I'm okay." She answered. After a minute or two, dumating na rin si Karina.

"We will now start our finals for the Annual Quiz Bee," the host announced. 

Nakita naman ni Winter na nasa tapat lang ng table nila ang school nila Yunjin. The girl she met inside the comfort room. 

The tall girl waved her hand while smiling. Winter did the same. 

"Mamaya na yan, Kim. We have a contest to win," sabi ni Karina na kanina pang masama ang tingin kay Winter.

And maybe it was jealousy that drives Karina is pure madness. She answered everything correctly and as fast as she could. So, naturally, she won the bet. 

"Congratulations, Westview Academy!" The host announced. They went to the stage to receive the trophy. Besides them is Lakeview Academy, Yunjin's school. Winter offered a handshake.

"You did well, Yunjin." Sabi nya. 

"Please, you did better." The taller said with a grin. Napatingin si Winter kay Karina at umiling.

"That tall girl did all the work, I'm afraid." Winter hugged the taller girl.

"I see you when I see you, Yunjin."

"Kim, tara na." Hinila ulit sya ni Karina palapit sakanya.

"I told you to off," she said with a creased forehead. Itinaas ni Yunjin ang dalawang kamay nya sa hangin. 

"I'm just a friend." She said. 

Winter cannot take it anymore. Hinila sya papunta sa walang tao si Karina. 

"Praise me, Kim. Tell me I am the best," utos ni Karina habang nakacrossed arms. Winter raised a brow. Agad agad? 

"Is that all you want, Yu? Because I could do that so easily! Gosh! You are the ing best at making me feel so many things at once! You are a ing !" She yelled. Karina scoffed and looked at her with pained eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Karina asked, her eyes glaring. 

"Ako pa nga ang may mali? Tangina naman Karina. Kung gusto mo, sige! Ikaw na yata ang pinakamaganda, ang pinakamatalino na nakilala ko. Is that enough?!" Namumula na sa galit si Winter. Teary-eyed na rin sya. She is so damn frustrated. 

"Tangina kasi Karina! Sinabi kong mahal kita! Pero napaka-mkxed signals mo puta. Anong ibig sabihin ng putanginang halik mo? Anong ibig sabihin ng pagbigay mo sakin ng putanginang jacket na to?" Winter asked. Umiiyak na sya. Þhe feelings are overwhelming. 

"That means I am ing in love with you too, idiot!"