twelve

shut up

"I have been waiting for you, Ate." Bungad ni Winter kay Wendy na kapapasok lang sa pinto. The older girl took off her shoes and wear her slippers. She looked taken aback by the younger's remark.

"Ang aga mo ata sa bahay? Akala ko naman wala ka pa," sabi nito. Inilagay nya ang bag nya sa may couch at umupo sa harap ni Winter. She kissed the younger's cheeks. 

Inilabas nya ang stethoscope at sinimulang icheckup ang pinsan nya. Wala naman syang nadedetect na mali. Everything is normal. 

"Ano bang nararamdaman mo, bata? Baka mamaya in love ka na ha," Winter scoffed. She shook her head. How could Wendy even come up with that conclusion? Wala naman syang jowa o kalandian. She did kiss Karina a lot of times, but that's that.

"That's impossible, Ate." She said. Wendy looked at her intently before nodding her head. 

"Impossible ang ano? Na mainlove ka?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Wendy. Sometimes, she just doesn't get her cousins. But then, it must be the talking.

"No. It is impossible to fall in love with Karina Yu. That girl is insufferable!" Umupo si Wendy sa upuan at itinago ang mga gamit nya. 

"Wala naman akong sinabing kay Karina ka in love?" Wendy teasingly asked. Sinundot nya ang tagiliran ni Winter gamit ang index finger haang tummatawa.

"Just, I'm just-I am just saying na it's not plausible to fall in love with her," sabi nya. Her face was covered in a red hue.

"Is it? Umamin ka nga, Winter. Ano bang nangyayari ha?" Nag-iwas ng tingin si Winter. She fiddled with her fingers and hummed. She has been acting weird. Alam naman nya. She noticed din naman. Kung dati ay minsan nya lang naiisip si Karina, ngayon naman palagi. 24/7 nasa isip nya si Karina. It started with the kiss. 

Bakit ba sila pumayag na maging first kiss ang isa't isa? Firsts must be special, she believed that, but why did she agree to do it? She even taunted the older girl to kiss her, and she liked the feeling. 

Bakit naiisip nya si Karina na nakahiga sa tabi nya habang nanonood sila ng documentaries? She even dreamt that they are studying together while holding hands underneath the table.

"It's-Ate Wendy,  I don't know. I would never fall in love with Karina, I swear."

"Why not? May crush ka kaya sakanya simula bata kayo. Tanda ko nga nagpabili ka kila Tita ng maraming candies para ishare kay Karina e." Winter blushed. Hindi naman kailangan pang ipaalala sakanya. She did have a crush on the older girl. Who wouldn't? Karina is easily the prettiest girl in the village.

"That was such a long time ago, Ate Wendy. Hindi ko na sya crush." Winter said without looking at the older girl. 

"Fine. Pero tell me, when did you start feeling weird? And kailan ulit bumabalik?" Winter cannot answer the question. She does not want to. If Winter answered the question, her facade, her masks, all of them would be for nothing. 

"Look, hindi ko naman ipagkakalat. Yes, we are related but I am your Doctor. May doctor-patient confidentiality naman." Wendy said. She looked at her younger cousin with a warm smile.

"And kahit gusto ko ichika yung feelings mo sa iba, it'll be an ethical issue. So how about tell me everything, consider me as Doctor Wendy, not your Ate Wendy." The doctor wants to help Winter as much as she could. She saw the girl grow up, she knew that she could hide her feelings every time she is afraid of rejection and failure. And that was every day.

"Kissing Karina made me feel things that I haven't felt, but what's weird is it is like I am supposed to feel it. Like para bang all this time, I meant to feel all of those, all at once. Minsan nga I felt lightheaded. Minsan naman parang may fireworks sa paligid ko. And seeing her makes me feel at ease." Wendy rested her chin on her palm. She giggled. Seems like their youngest is in love.

"Have you tried kissing other people? Try baka sila rin may sparks," nang-aasar na tanong ni Wendy. Winter rolled her eyes at the older but shook her head.

"How could I? I can't do that to Karina. Hindi naman ako two-timer," the older girl bursts out laughing. Hinampas nya pa ang balikat ni Winter. It took her a few minutes to calm down. She cleared and sighed.

"Bakit naman two timing? Wala naman kayong label. Nagkiss lang kayo, hindi kayo magjowa." Napakunot ang noo ni Winter sa sinabi ni Wendy.

"," Winter muttered and close her eyes. Wendy hummed while staring at her younger girl.

"Why?" 

"Ate Wendy," Winter stood up. She paced back and forth. She chewed on her lower lip, and then her thumb. She looks restless. 

Pinaupo ulit sya ni Wendy at binigyan ng tubig.

"What is it, Winter?" Tanong ni Wendy. Winter looked at her in the eyes. She grimaced.

"I am in love with Karina Yu."