one

shut up

1. Winter Kim
2. Karina Yu

Karina scowled when she saw the rankings. Winter is just ahead of her for one point. One point! 

"Huh, you lost," Winter said and smirked. She tapped her fingers on her books as she scanned the rankings on the bulletin board. 

"One point, Winter. It's just a point," Karina rolled her eyes before turning her back on the shorter girl.

"That one point cost you the first place," nang-aasar na sabi ni Winter. She turned her back on the taller girl. They walked in different directions. Papunta sa magkabilang library ng school. They never studied in the same area, bukod na lang sa classroom nila. They have been rivals since preschool. Mapa-academics man o mga extracurricular. People were aware that they hated each other's guts. 

"Woah, woah! Bakit magkasalubong yung kilay mo?" Ningning asked. Hindi sya kaklase o kabatch ni Karina, she is a year younger. She met the older girl in the library, when she needed help for a subject. They instantly became friends.

"I am second, Ning! Second!" Naiiritang sigaw ni Karina.

"Shush! Nasa library kayo!" Saway ng librarian at sinamaan ng tingin ang magkaibigan. Napairap na lang si Karina. She barely went out to chill just to study for the exams, pero she still failed to be number one. Sya naman yung nangunguna noong nakaraan. Palitan lang naman sila ni Winter. 

Umupo si Karina sa harap ni Ningning at inilabas ang textbooks nila. 

"I'm going to beat the out of that woman," she muttered under her breathe. Narinig naman iyon ni Ningning at napailing na lamang. 

"Ang pangit ng wordings mo. Parang aabangan mo mamaya sa gate tapos bubugbugin mo," Ningning joked. 

"If she continues to annoy me, why the hell not?" Unang binuksan ni Karina ang Science Textbook. She always like Science more than the others. 

"Calling the attention of Karina Yu and Winter Kim. Please proceed to the Headmistress' office right away." Karina groaned and started to fix her things. She kissed Ningning's cheek before  walking to the Headmistress office. Wala naman siguro syang violation. Nakakasira yun sa magiging applications nya sa iba't ibang Universities kapag malapit na syang magcollege. Pinagtitinginan sya ng mga nakakasalubong nyang estudyante. 

Alam naman nyang maganda sya, but do they really have to stare?

Bubuksan na sana nya ang pinto nang may kamay na naunang humawak sa doorknob. Winter smiled teasingly at her.

"Would you look at that? Kahit sa paghawak sa doorknob, nauna ako," sa taunted. Pinalo ni Karina ang kamay ni Winter para bumitaw sa knob. She rolled her eyes before making her way inside the office. 

"Good morning po," she greeted. Sumunod naman sakanya si Winter at bumati rin sa Headmistress.

"Take a seat." She commanded. The two students took a seat across from each other, eyes never meeting. 

"So, as you both know, we still haven't drafted the contestants for the Annual Quiz Bee." Pagsisimula ng Headmistress. They both nodded. Kahit na lagi silang nasa top, hindi sila sumasali sa mga contests na kailangan ng team, bukod syempre sa sports. 

"Most of our contestants graduated last year. So, I am hoping na you two could join. Karina snorted.

"I can join po, as long as she is not in the same team as me." Sabi ni Karina at itinuro pa si Winter. The latter shrugged.

"I feel the same way, Headmistress. Putting us together would be chaos. It'll challenge the team's dynamics and spirit." Sabi ni Winter. The Headmistress, a few years older than them, hummed. She looked at the two of them and nodded her head slowly. 

"You are both graduating next next year, right?" Winter and Karina nodded their heads. Grade 11 na sila, maikling panahon na lang bago ang College. 

"If you win this contest, mas malaki ang chance na makakapasok kayo sa gusto nyong University. Pile up all your achievements, and your grades, you'll surely pass everywhere. And please do not forget about the recommendation letters. Turning down a chance like this because you cannot work with each other is not that good for your image," the Headmistress explained. She did not need to tell more. 

"Kailan po ba yung contest and reviews?"

"Sino-sino po kami sa team?"

Sabay na tanong ng dalawa. 

"Magsisimula na kayo magreview with the team tomorrow. I would be the one to supervise your team." Irene, the Headmistress, said. She paused for a moment and scanned a paper on her table.

"Kasama nyo si Chaewon, Sunghoon, at Jaemin." The two nodded their heads. Kilala naman nila yung mga kasali. Chaewon and Jaemin are their batchmates, while Sunghoon is a year younger than them. 

"Dun na lang tayo sa may Student's Council office magreview. That'll be all. Thank you," naunang umalis si Winter. Karina stayed. She glared at the Headmistress.

"I have already told you, Ate! Ayokong makasama yung mokong na yon sa iisang team! Diba nga I pursued volleyball kasi nasa basketball team yun," reklamo ni Karina. She pouted in front of her sister. 

"Then leave the team, Karina. Alam mo naman na hindi pa tayo natatalo sa quiz bee since my batch! Sayang naman kung matatalo yung school dahil mapride kayo parehas," inirapan sya ni Irene. Karina whined. 

"Ate naman eh," she pouted before leaving. Napailing na lang si Irene. Mga bata nga naman ngayon. 

Winter was leaning against the wall when Karina went out of the office. 

"What do you want?" Masungit na tanong ni Karina. 

"I waited for you," and Karina's stomach began to feel like a rowdy circus.

"Why?" She tried hard to keep her composure, which thankfully, she did. 

"Gusto ko lang sabihin na huwag ka masyadong pabigat. Ciao, Karina!" Winter said, smirking. She left with hands on her pocket. And just like that, the circus went out of business. ing Winter Kim.