thirteen

shut up

"So, how are things?" Tanong ni Tiffany at tiningnan ang dalawa nyang kapatid. They are eating in the dining area. Minsan na lang din kasi sila magsabay-sabay sa pagkain. 

"Ask the youngest, Ate. Balita ko she kissed Winter on a public place," sabi ni Irene at itinuro si Karina gamit ang tinidor nya. Karina choked on her water. She whined. She cannot deny what Irene said because it is true. Nagcrave na naman tuloy sya sa strawberries. 

"Ate naman!" Napataas ang kilay ni Tiffany. She is not aware of that thing. Pero the oldies of the two families knew that Winter and Karina are meant to be. Or they would date at some point. Muntik na rin naman nila sukuan yung thoughts, pero here they are. Nangyayari na nga. 

"Hindi ka na nagkkwento Karina ha," sabi ng pinakamatanda sakanila. Karina scoffed. Tiffany is a very Marites-type of person. Baka mamaya makarating pati sa distant relatives nila. Besides, it is not that huge of a news, they are just messing around. Right?

"Sorry, Ate. Wala rin naman kasing ikkwento." 

"Good evening Yus!" Napatingin sila sa pinto ng dining area at nakita si Wendy na nakataas pa ang dalawang kamay. 

"Ate Wends, what brought you by?" Karina asked and smiled. 

"Ah, si Winter kasi nagpacheck. Kamusta ka na ex?" Tumabi si Wendy kay Irene at kinuha ang hawak nitong tinidor. Karina's forehead creased. Bakit naman nagpacheck si Winter kay Wendy? Did something happen? 

"People might get the wrong idea, ." Sabi ni Irene at siniko si Wendy. Tiffany shook her head at them.

"Who would have?" Tanong ni Wendy at tuluyang kinuha ang plato ni Irene.

"By the way, the cooks baked your favorite cake, Karina," Tiffany said and gestured to the maids to prepare their desserts. 

"What happened to Winter, Ate Wendy?" Karina asked worriedly. Wendy shrugged.

"May heart problems e." Karina suddenly stood up and run. Malakas nyang isinara ang front door.

"Huh? Who would have thought she can run that fast? She did not even wait for the cake," sabi ni Irene.

"Would Winter be fine? Is it something serious? I can call a few friends to help, Wendy." Nagpapanic na sagot ni Tiffany. Wendy laughed and shook the utensils she was holding.

"Winter is not dying or anything. She's healthy as is." Hinampas ni Irene ang braso ni Wendy. She glared at the girl.

"Eh ano yung heart problems?" Wendy shrugged.

"Doctor-patient confidentiality, people. Jeez." Binatukan sya ni Irene bago tumayo.

"Saan ka naman pupunta?" Tiffany asked her younger sister.

"To watch our sister make a fool of herself? Minsan lang yun, Ate." Irene smirked before walking to the other house. Sumunod naman ang dalawa. They quietly entered the house and saw Karina in front of Winter. 

She checked Winter's face, then her neck, and she checked everywhere she can.

"What the hell are you doing, Yu?" Winter asked irritatedly. She does not want to see Karina. Not now, not until the realization sinks in. She is in love with the girl in front of her. She is in love with the person she hates. She is damned.

"Ate Wendy said you are sick! What the hell is wrong with you, Winter?! Bakit hindi mo inaalagaan ang sarili mo?" Karina yelled. Winter tilted her head as she inspect the older girl's expression. Is she worried about her? 

"I am taking care of myself just fine, Karina. Leave me alone," she said. Karina shook her head.

"Do you and Chaewon wants to stay with us? We could check up on you more, you also won't get lonely," Karina offered. Nag-iba ang expression ni Winter. Her face turned sour and angry. 

"Why are you acting like this, Karina?" She asked angrily. She hates feeling like this. She hates seeing Karina pity her. Maybe, that's why she always picks a fight with the older girl. Fighting with Karina is easier. It's easier for both of them. 

Karina acting this way makes her anxious. What if this is just a spur-of-the-moment thing? What if she opened up to the taller girl and she'll leave her? What if Karina won't stay? What would happen to her?

"I-I," Karina stopped. She looks reluctant. Why is she even acting this way? Is it because of the kisses? Or is it because she might lose one of her favorite people? Or maybe it was something else entirely. Something she is not yet ready to admit. So, she did a stupid thing. 

"I am just worried about the team. I don't want any burdens," she said. Her eyes fixed on the wall behind Winter. That was a technique she learned. Para kunwari nakatingin sa kausap, kahit na hindi. Winter stood up. Her face is more lonely than angry. 

"Leave, Yu. I am not sick. Ate Wendy is just pranking you," Winter said and walked to the staircase. Napansin nya sila Irene na nagtatago sa likod ng counter sa may kusina. She smiled sadly at them. 

"Kim, wait!" Napatigil sa paglalakad si Winter. Halos nakakakalahati na rin sya sa pag-akyat. She did not look back. She waited for Karina to speak. 

"I am," Karina cleared . Her voice was deeper than usual. 

"I don't mean what I said. I am worried about you. And I don't even know why. You deserve to know that."


 

[fun fact (?) the kissing each other scenes is because of the song shut up by Greyson Chance, anyway I think Treacherous ang theme song ng strawberry vanilla duo]