Thirteen

Marry Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13 | Sunny

 

***

 

Still quiet, Seohyun continues to watch at the doe-eyed's movements before her eyes. He brought her to his bedroom to help her with her fever but still hasn't given her any pill as he looks for it in the meantime. She doesn't feel anything besides, embarrassment. She hates to burden him. But she can't do anything, the rain hasn't stopped a second. She can't make an excuse. If she's going to call Taehyung too, he might be sleeping at the moment and she can't give him a fake chance.

 

"Taehyung, he didn't even call you, did he?" Yoong finally got her a glass of water and a pill for her fever.

 

"He's probably busy to even think of me." She reasoned, taking the pill and drinking it down. "Thanks." She shyly says, giving back the glass and laying down on the bed. She faces the wall so she won't see his face. 'Aish, I'm really stupid.'

 

"So there's more than a reason for you to stay here. You can't climb to your apartment with this condition." Yoong said as he got up and sighs. "Please don't be upset, I'm just worried about you."

 

"I know." She answered lowly.

 

Yoong sighs and left the bedroom.

 

"Omma is fine now, Appa?" Woojin asks. He had been waiting outside.

 

"She will after taking the pill. But we need to monitor her condition. She had an infection with her bruises that's why she got a fever." Yoong explained to his son as he gently rubs his cheek.

 

"Can I see her?" Woojin pouted cutely.

 

"Yeah, sure." Yoong allowed, giving his son the way and he immediately walks in. He gently close the door before he went downstairs. Seohyun's phone rang on top of the coffee table which shifted his attention to it. Instead of Taehyung, it was Jessica on the screen. "Noona." he answered softly.

 

[Omo, Doctor Im, why are you on the phone?]

 

"Seohyun's sick. She's resting."

 

[Chincha? Aish, I knew this would happen.]

 

He raised his eyebrows. "Wae?"

 

[I mean, she had been working hard. From recording to practicing the choreography of her new song. She also had filmed 2 music videos for the album. She barely sleeps because of that.]

 

"Whoa, I didn't expect she would be that busy this past week." He felt bad for the young singer. "But she wasn't even obvious she had a rough week earlier. She even chases a young boy." he can't help and share, chuckling in the process. 

 

[She's always the brightest that you can't see she's mentally drained. Um, Thanks for taking care of him, Doctor Im. I think she will end up in the hospital if you're not with her.]

 

"She knows how to hide it." Yoong sighs, mentally scolding himself for not noticing it.

 

[Yeah. Are you guys in her apartment or...]

 

"In my house."

 

[Okay. Thank you again.]

 

"No worries." He smiled and hang up. "I should cook porridge." He didn't mind if she had dinner earlier but she needs to eat after taking a pill. So she heads to the kitchen and cooks for her.

 

Meanwhile, instead of the young singer reading a book for him, Woojin is sitting beside her, reading a children's book. Seohyun is fluttering as he listens to his cute voice while the rain keeps pouring and sometimes there's a rumbling sound. She really feels better if he's beside him than with his father.

 

-

 

"She's asleep?" Yoong returned to the bedroom just to see Seohyun have fallen asleep.

 

"Yes, Appa. Seohyun Omma loves my story, wasn't she?" Woojin flashed a wide smile, satisfied with what he did. He got out of the bed and pulled the comforter up on her chin. "Good night, Omma." He sweetly says, patting her chest lightly.

 

"She really did." Yoong smiles warmly at the sleeping beauty. "Prepare your bathtub, let's shower together." He instructed his son when he walks out.

 

"Yes, Appa." Woojin replied but he stopped when he noticed the tray his father is holding. "Appa is that for Seohyun Omma?"

 

"Yes, I was hoping she'll eat this." 

 

"Should I eat it for her?" He grinned widely.

 

Yoong chuckled in amusement. "No, you're going to bed later."

 

"Then who's eating it?"

 

"Me. Go now."

 

"Okay." Woojin runs out of the room immediately.

 

Setting the tray on the nightstand, Yoong took his seat to the edge of the bed and took the thermometer. He gently places it in between her armpit to take her temperature. ", almost 40." He cursed after reading her temperature. Getting up, he went to the bathroom and took a face towel to soak it with running water. Then he returns to place it gently on her forehead. "I don't know if Taehyung can even take care of you. He never called you, not even concerned you're not calling him." He sighs, watching her sleeping. "You really need a better rest."

 

Lifting his left hand, he gently tuck the hair strands on her cheek behind her ear and smiled, warmly. "I'm sorry for giving you a hard time." he softly says. He inhaled deeply and continue. "But I know you're sincere deeply with your apologies. And I know... myself, I have forgiven you. So please, don't be so hard on yourself now." He briefly smiles as he gently holds her hand. He rubs it with his thumb as he continues to watch her. 

 

"Hmm... " Seohyun hummed in her sleep then she's suddenly sweating. "No... no no... don't."

 

"She's having a bad dream." Yoong quickly took the face towel and soak it again to rubs off the sweats on her face and neck, gently. He holds her hand back when she suddenly holds back tighter. Seohyun's face looks like she's scared as began to gasp for air without even waking up. He got panicked. He quickly taps her face a few times in an attempt to wake her up but she slowly calms down after a minute. "Shshshs..." he comforted her by continuing his gentle rubs on her hand. Soon, she's once again peacefully sleeping.

 

"Appa!" Woojin came inside with a loud call.

 

"Shshshs... " Yoong hurriedly hushed him. The latter covered his mouth. "I'll be right there." He told him, knowing exactly his intention for returning.

 

Woojin casually walked out of the room. And soon, he followed his son to his bedroom.

 

-

 

Waking up slowly from her deep slumber, Seohyun can feel herself still hot that she felt her body drained. 

 

'How long did I sleep?' She wonders, slowly blinking her eyes as she tilted her head on her left, just to be greeted by the older Im, sitting on his leather chair while doing something on the desk. She wanted to call him but was dry. She had to clear it first.

 

"Oh, you're awake." Yoong heard her noise and quickly check on her as he took the thermometer in an instant.

 

Seohyun can't look away from him, as she watched him quietly. 

 

"37. Still got fever." Yoong mumbles and stares back at her. "Wae?"

 

"How long did I sleep?" She asks with a hoarse voice. 

 

"About..." Yoong checks his wristwatch. "Ten hours. You hungry now?" 

 

"Yes." Seohyun pushed herself up and winced when she forgot she still has a bruise.

 

"It swelled." Yoong informed. "But not too big now after I shot you with antibiotics. It got infected that's why you have the flu right now." He explained further. Not waiting for her response, he got up and returned to his desk to take another pill for her flu. 

 

"Thanks." Muttered Seohyun, casually drinking the pill with the glass of water. "Did you call Jessica Unnie? I have a schedule today."

 

"Yes, and she canceled all of them." Yoong shared.

 

Nodding, Seohyun leaned her back on the wall but the doe-eyed hastily brought the pillow on her back. She sighs as she flutters greatly. "How about you, you have work today." 

 

"Took a day off."

 

"Just to look after me?" 

 

Yoong nodded with a sweet smile. "You can't do this on your own. Look how you barely can get up. I called Taehyung earlier but he didn't answer. What kind of boyfriend is he?" But he is disappointed of him. "I texted him also but did not even read it."

 

Seohyun smiled briefly. "He's busy."

 

"But shouldn't he-"

 

"It's not for him to take care of me. We're dating indeed but we have no responsibility for each other." She can't believe she's saying it but it's what she wanted for the doe-eyed to also realize. 

 

"Well, I'm not like him. If I care for someone, I would never miss a day to take care of her." Yoong seriously said without blinking and looking away from her gazes.

 

Seohyun got speechless. After a couple of seconds, look elsewhere and sighs. 

 

"I'll prepare your breakfast." Getting up, Yoong headed out casually, leaving her alone.

 

"Aish. Why can't he just say it to me directly?" She's frustrated. But somehow it made her smile giddily.

 

After a while, Yoong returned with a new porridge on the tray. He placed it next to her.

 

"Woojin's in school?" She asks as she took the spoon. 

 

"Yes. He said he will be giving the invitation cards today." 

 

"Oh yeah, tomorrow's his birthday." 

 

"Yeah, he's excited. Eat up before it gets cold." Reminded Yoong, flashing a charming smile before he returned to his desk.

 

Butterflies are all over Seohyun's stomach. She slowly took a bite as she glanced at him. 'Why does he looks so cool?' She realized while he was staring at his laptop seriously.

 

Taking another bite, she looked at him this time and smile quietly.

 

Yoong unconsciously tilt his head towards her, she immediately looked down at the porridge. He smiled briefly and returned to his laptop.

 

'Tsk. When I am so straightforward back then, now I can't even say everything in my mind. It's hard to flirt again.' Seohyun sighs audibly. Learning more about The accident really changed her.

 

"By the way, the organizer will be here later to check the venue." Yoong casually shared.

 

"For Woojin's birthday party?"

 

"Yes, they'll bring their stuff also so they can set up right away tomorrow morning." 

 

"Besides his classmates and their parents, who are you inviting?" Seohyun thought of the nurse right away. It will be a good chance to talk to her about the accident.

 

"Nurse Lee, you know her and some of my colleagues in the CS department." The doe-eyed replied. He's excited himself. It's going to be the first time for him to invite fellow surgeons to his house.

 

"Cool." Seohyun smiled brightly. 

 

"Invite Jessica Noona too and her boyfriend."

 

"They would gladly like to join the party. But... How about Woojin's grandparents?" She thought of Tiffany's family. It would be great to meet them too.

 

Yoong heaved a sigh. "I don't think they would love it. You know ever since her funeral, I never got a word from them even though they know our son is alive."

 

"They reallly... Don't care about her son." Seohyun felt sorry for the doe-eyed.

 

"Yeah, ever since then."

 

"So Woojin hasn't seen them?"

 

Yoong nodded gently. "Only my parents, through video call." 

 

"Oh yeah, they're living abroad." said Seohyun as she reminds herself again.

 

"You should get better today so you can enjoy the party tomorrow." 

 

"Don't worry, I will be fine later." She quickly took another bite and leads to more until she finished it. "Thanks for the food. I enjoyed it." And she announced right away, flashing her brightest face.

 

Yoong can't help and chuckle. But he loves what he saw. Despite looking sick, she manages to look like she's really fine. Her bubbly side doesn't fail. 

 

-

 

Walking into the convenience store, Yoong took the paper from her pocket and reads what was written on it. He asked her to list down the snacks or anything she wanted and he will buy it. He realize she listed a total of 20 items, including canned beers and ice cream. He regretted a little for coming up with the idea.

 

"I still have beers in the fridge." He chuckled softly and began to get everything on the lists. He heads straight to the cashier with two baskets in his hands. 

 

"Looks like your son asks you all of this, Doctor Im." The part-timer knows him and is amused to see a lot of pokemon bread.

 

"Um, it's not for him." He corrected, smiling awkwardly. "Someone who likes this anime bread too asks me." 

 

"Oh, I thought... so." The part-timer didn't expect it and got embarrassed.

 

"It's okay. But isn't it popular nowadays?" Yoong noticed a kid earlier took five while he took a total of twenty. He's glad they have a lot of stock of it otherwise he had bought all of them. 

 

"Yes. Anime lovers love the card inside and the characters on bread exactly."

 

"Oh, my son isn't aware. But I'm glad, or he might ask me to buy a lot too." He chuckled. as he realized it.

 

The part-timer laughs along with him.

 

"Do you mind sharing who's this person who knew this bread?" 

 

"I would rather not." He flashed a friendly smile to the part-timer as he took his card back. Bowing a little, he left the convenience store with two bags of mostly pokemon bread. "Tsk, she's forever childish." He smiled widely as he walks back to his house. But just before he reached it, he spotted Sunny in front of the gate. "Noona!" He jogs immediately to greet her.

 

"Yah, why did you take a leave?" Sunny greeted him with a hit on his arm.

 

"I have to take care of Woojin's birthday. You know this is going to be his first time. I want this to be a success." He explained a bit lying about it.

 

Sunny's attention returned to the people in his front yard. "So they're... "

 

"Yes, Seo Joon's staff. They'll set up tomorrow morning. Oh, I forgot to give you an invitation. And our colleagues." Yoong mentally remembered he hasn't given it. He opened the gate and let her in first. "Can you give the other cards to Doctor Kim and rest in the CS department?"

 

"I don't mind." Sunny briefly smiled as he followed him inside.

 

Placing the plastic bags on the sofa, Yoong went upstairs. He saw Seohyun is still lying on the bed while listening to some music as he walks into his room. "Sunny Noona's here." He told her as he opened the drawer on his desk and took the cards for his colleagues. 

 

Seohyun took her earphones off. "Where's my bread?" And look for what she asked him.

 

"Oh, it was on the sofa. I'll be right back." Yoong hurriedly went out but he had to stop midway in the stairs when he was greeted by Sunny already opening the second bread. "N-Noona... " He hastily approached her and check the plastic bag, flustered. He looked up upstairs and gulped nervously. 

 

Seohyun who was by the door upstairs, peeking, glared at the doe-eyed. 'You're so dead.'

 

"Wae?" Sunny raised her eyebrows. "Did I... Omo, are these, Woojin's?" She realized it was an anime character she had just eaten.

 

"Um, it's okay. I'll buy later." Yoong assured, flashing a little smile. "Here's the cards, by the way, Noona." His heart raced as he can still feel the death glares from Seohyun upstairs.

 

"Your son, Woojin, he had been making friends, isn't he?" Sunny brightly smiles as she took the invitation cards.

 

"Did you see him one time?"

 

"Yep, in the park. He plays with the other kids now." 

 

Yoong smiled proudly. "I told him to make friends now." He glanced upstairs and was glad she was no longer peeking.

 

"That's good for him. Anyway, I should get going. I just drop by also to give this." Sunny handed the paper bag she had been holding. "A patient once to extend her gratefulness to you." 

 

"Thanks, Noona. I'll thank her myself on the next duty." Yoong briefly smiled. 

 

"You are really loved by many, especially those you have successfully operated." Sunny can't be prouder. "I'll get going now." She walks to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter