Chapter twenty

The Reason Why

All the girls, much to the disappointment of the medical staff who hadn't been able to stop them, had gathered in the room assigned to the new mother and her baby, euphoric and impatient to be able to take the latter in their arms.

Nayeon was totally ecstatic "he is perfect, Tzu look at that tiny little nose. He has wonderful cheeks, all to kiss"

"He looks like a hairless monkey" the little girl was observing her nephew with a critical gaze as she held Nana in her arms "he's smaller than I thought, my sister's belly was huge but this brat would have fit twice"

"Don't fool our nephew and admire all his beauty" Dahyun couldn't stop smiling, even when her cheek cramps started "Park Minjun is finally with us"

Mrs. Hirai, taking advantage of the attention given to the newborn, had approached Jihyo's bed to take her hand "I congratulate you, I just need to look at you to understand that you will be an excellent mother"

"Thank you very much" she was reciprocating the squeeze, albeit weakly "I also thank you for coming to meet Minjun, I appreciate it very much"

"Honey, don't be polite and stop thanking me immediately, these are things that should be done for the family" she was smiling excitedly "I would have liked to know you before, but my stupid daughter wanted to keep you hidden from me because she is a coward"

Jihyo looked at her amused, looking around the room immediately after "where did she go?" she looked frightened and the woman immediately did what she could to console her.

The brunette had crossed the door of the room and immediately went to her girlfriend "sorry if it took me so long, but after holding Minjun my emotions decided to play a bad joke and I collapsed"

"She was crying in the bathroom, it was hard to drag her here" Jeongyeon was already in front of the baby's crib "hello nephew, we finally meet. I'm the funny and permissive aunt and I already know we will get along"

"Did you see how beautiful he is? He is attracting the attention of all of us without the slightest effort. Mrs. Hirai, come and see the baby up close!"

Momo smiled gratefully, knowing that Nayeon was trying to gather everyone around the baby to give them some privacy "how are you feeling? Is something hurting you?"

"I'm just a little tired, but the happiness I'm feeling makes up for all the efforts and the sleepless nights" she smiled when the other girl brushed her hair from her forehead "for a moment I thought you were gone"

"I didn't think about doing it even for a second, I just needed to compose myself and gather all my courage" she was looking into her eyes "I know I told you important things in a moment of euphoria and that's why I decided to repeat them. I love you, I love Minjun and I want to live with you two. I don't want to run away from my feelings anymore and I will take all my responsibilities from now on"

Jihyo was crying "you can't tell me these things while I'm in a hospital bed, uglier than ever from exhaustion and with a mixture of emotions that threaten to crush me"

"Did you make her cry again? Should I kill you?" if Jeongyeon could have thrown lightning from her eyes she would surely have incinerated the brunette on the spot "have you already taken back the things you said to me in the bathroom?"

Nayeon was giving her the same threatening look "you better answer if you care about your life, we are eight against one counting your mother"

"I told her I love her and that I want to start living together, I haven't done anything wrong!" Momo yelled immediately after finding her best friend's hands on her shoulders.

Sana calmed down immediately, totally changing her expression to a more cheerful and relaxed one "very good, no need to kill you" she her face gently before leaving "my best friend has finally grown up"

"You'd better keep quiet, you're the last one who can put a word on these things" Momo was pointing at Dahyun, without stopping to look at the adult "you're more immature than me, carrot-skinned"

"I'll seriously kill you!" Sana was back in charge, making so much noise that one of the nurses had to chase all but Momo out.

"Finally some peace, I couldn't take any more of all those screams and frankly I don't understand how our son was able to sleep the whole time" the brunette was looking out the window.

Jihyo had closed her eyes to rest, but she was still awake "come here to sleep, let's take advantage of it now that Minjun is calm. We expect some tiring months"

The other girl tucked up the child's blanket with great care, smiling at the sight of the person she fell in love with "I prefer to stay awake and check my family, you can sleep" she kissed her forehead "and remember that I love you even while you're dreaming"

"I could never forget it" she said softly, before sinking into Morpheus's arms, aware that if Minjun needed anything her girlfriend would take care of him.

 

 

 

 

"I didn't have time to hold my nephew for the first time" Dahyun pouted "it's all your fault and your poor self-control"

Sana was as sulky as Dahyun was, her eyes fixed on the wall in front of her "I've already said I'm sorry several times, what else do you want from me?"

"Maybe a kiss could help" the bed shifted under her weight as she turned to the other girl "would you like? It might lift my mood"

"You know you don't even need to ask" the older wasted no time and hugged Dahyun, kissing her like there's no tomorrow and taking advantage of her distraction to start undressing her.

Dahyun bit her lower lip "I just asked for a kiss"

"I never said I wanted to give you only one, nor that I would limit myself to that" Sana's lips had already come to rest on the other girl's neck "I have to take advantage of every opportunity, you know"

"Okay, but don't leave marks in visible places or sooner or later I will sink into the ground in embarrassment" she was her hair "I don't know who is worse between Jihyo and Momo, they have a lot of fun making fun of me and lately Jeongyeon joined them"

Sana's laughter also infected the younger "let them talk, they are just envious of us and you'll see that when they can have fun again they won't say anything, even if Jeongyeon could continue indefinitely" she was supporting herself on her arms so as not to crush the girl underneath of her "would you like to go out for dinner tonight? We should celebrate the birth of our nephew and take the opportunity to eat something good"

"Of course I want! Where would you like to go?" she leaned over to kiss her tenderly on the lips, smiling amused as Sana pressed her body against hers "focus and answer my question"

"You know that when you kiss me I don't understand anything anymore, it's your fault if we always end up in this situation" she took off from her, getting up easily from the bed "you just need to wear something nice, I'll take care of the rest. I'm going to take a shower, would you like to keep me company?" she looked at her with malice.

Dahyun was blushing but, despite the embarrassment that just the thought of that new experience was making her feel, she immediately got up to follow the older into the bathroom. She was sure: that was going to be the longest and most fun shower of her life.

 

 

 

 

After spending the day with Mina's sister, Chaeyoung drove Mina home in her tiny, ramshackle car. She knew how much her girlfriend's parents wanted to always have dinner at the same time and for that very reason she made sure to arrive a little early.

"The princess has arrived at her castle" she smiled after pulling the handbrake "I had a great time today, I was very excited"

"It was a beautiful day and I'm happy because you were there too"

Chaeyoung was smiling, tapping on the steering wheel "I felt part of something, of a family"

"You're part of it, everyone has told you so and, even if one day we decide to break up, you will always have someone to spend the holidays with, including me of course" she took her hand gently "I love you, you know?"

"I love you too, little girl"

"We only have a couple of years of difference!" Mina showed all her disappointment, crossing her arms over her chest and puffing out her cheeks.

The older was smiling amused "look at yourself, realize how you behave and then you will see that you will agree with me"

Mina was about to reply when someone knocked on the door on the passenger side: it was the blonde's mother, who took advantage of the lowered window to get as close as possible "I've prepared a lot of stuff for dinner, if you're hungry we can eat right away"

"Did you speak in the plural?" her daughter was happy and shocked at the same time "did you ask Chae to stay for dinner?"

"Yes honey, that's what I said" she smiled kindly at both of them "would you like it? If there's something you don't like I can cook something else" she was looking at her hopefully.

The pink-haired girl returned the smile "I accept, I don't want to go home to eat frozen pizza"

Once inside the house the woman gave a pair of slippers to her daughter's girl "I hope they are your size and you like them, but tell me if they are uncomfortable"

"Did you even buy her slippers?" Mina was shocked but happy and she wanted to jump for joy.

"Jeongyeon came to see us yesterday while you weren't there and listed all the qualities of this girl. She reminded us of when we gave Nayeon the same treatment and we don't want to repeat the same mistakes" Mr. Yoo had reached them all at the entrance, showing himself shy "I hope you can forgive us for our bad behavior"

Chaeyoung had worn the slippers, smiling for that gift "I don't have a grudge against you, no need to apologize" the thing that surprised those two was the girl's sincerity.

"I told you she's a good person and you haven't seen the disproportionate amount of patience she has yet, it's scary" Mina was hopping with excitement "she's been waiting for me for years and loves me more than anyone I could have introduced you to"

"We have finally figured it out and we intend to get to know her better during this impromptu dinner, let's go" Ms. Yoo took Chaeyoung's hand and dragged her into the dining room.

The blonde watched them go with teary eyes, then hugged her father "thanks dad, I assure you that what you are doing is important for her, much more than it can be for me"

The man returned the squeeze "I know honey, your sister told us some things about her and we realized we were being insensitive, but we will do everything possible to make her feel that she isn't alone"

"Hurry up, Chaeyoung and I are hungry!" the woman screamed impatiently "these Yoo make me damn"

"You married one, you can't complain after thirty years of marriage" Mina sat next to her girlfriend.

"He's a thorn in her side, but at least gave me two beautiful daughters"

The man was laughing "this is the consideration she has of me after all these years of unconditional love"

Chaeyoung watched the two as they argued about who was the worst to bear, smiling and imagining herself at their age with Mina, who had took her hand under the table.

 

 

 

 

Jeongyeon's plan was going smoothly: she'd left Tzuyu and Nana at her parents' house, made sure none of the other girls would phone all evening, and had prepared a romantic dinner for her girlfriend.

Although a few days had passed since Minjun's birth, they were still all euphoric and she was taking the opportunity to make that evening unforgettable too: the table was set with care and there were candles lit in the center; the wine she had chosen was Nayeon's favorite, and the menu featured both of their favorites.

Her beloved wasn't aware of Jeongyeon's initiative, which had asked Jihyo to help her away for a few hours, thanking her adorable nephew for the precious help "okay, everything is ready" she smiled satisfied, taking a picture at the table, sending it to a group where Nayeon wasn't in, created especially for that evening and receiving encouragement from her family.

When the front door opened she smiled at her girlfriend "welcome back, it took you forever"

"I beg your pardon, but when I was leaving Minjun grabbed my finger and smiled and I couldn't help but stare at him with adoring eyes" Nayeon was so elated that she threw her shoes into a corner.

"You know I love you, but I finished cleaning a few minutes ago and if you don't hurry to put them in their place I'll spank you" she smiled nervously.

The older wasted no time, hurrying to put her shoes in the cabinet "that's it, no spanking for me today"

"Thank you, I was getting hives" she went to her to kiss her on the lips "are you hungry?"

"A lot to tell the truth, have the girls already eaten?"

Jeongyeon took her hand to guide her into the kitchen "they are with the two old, this night is just for us"

The older's mouth was open "when did you have time to cook all this stuff?" she was already seated, her hands ready to grab anything on the plates.

"Don't be a cavegirl and eat like the polite person you are, please" she too had taken her seat, smiling "I had the day off and I took advantage of it"

"What do I owe all this care to? I'm really happy" Nayeon's eyes twinkled with delight.

"Let's say that I wanted to make up for our missed anniversary, also compensating for those of the last few years to catch up"

"You had a wonderful idea and I don't know what else to say to show you my happiness"

Jeongyeon's hand sought that of her girlfriend, intertwining their fingers "eat all you want and let's enjoy these moments of intimacy"

They ate slowly, savoring every single bite, engaging in talking about whatever was going on in their minds and cleaning together to be faster. Washing the dishes together was a lot more fun and the time spent cleaning seemed to go by in an instant.

They had decided to hug each other on the couch to watch an action movie, but Jeongyeon's attention had only the girl she was holding.

"Are you nervous?" Nayeon asked out of the blue, stopping the film and turning to look at her "you've been drawing circles on my arm since we sat down and I know you do that when you're anxious about something"

"Is it possible that you notice anything? You don't know what it means to be distracted or to relax?" she smiled amused.

The other girl had a proud expression "it's my power and no one can escape it, but now tell me what's wrong" she had turned to face her and to place her hands on her crossed legs.

"Keep your hands in place, okay?" seeing that Nayeon's body had stiffened due to that request she prevented the older from moving away "I'm sorry, I expressed myself badly. I intended not to provoke me because I have an important thing to do before giving in to your attempts of seduction"

"My heart almost stopped, don't ever do that again" she slapped her on the shoulder, showing more offense than ever.

"I beg your pardon, I didn't mean to scare you" she reached out to kiss her on the lips "I want to have a night of pure passion, I just need to do one thing first"

Nayeon couldn't hide her curiosity "what do you have to do so urgent? Don't tell me you have a backlog because I could seriously fall asleep and blow up our wild night"

Jeongyeon shook her head before getting up "I don't think you will fall asleep, look" she took the laptop and inserted a USB stick. She clicked on a video and placed the electronic object on the coffee table in front of the couch.

The video showed their photos since high school, starting with an image of the two of them in class while they were arguing "you didn't want to do your homework in pairs as requested by the teacher and I made you spend a bad quarter of an hour" Nayeon was amused at the memory.

"You had the courage to challenge the most feared of the school and it was only your first day, needless to say I immediately fell in love with you" she was holding her tight, excited to see all their memories.

The photos went from showing their first school party to their first outing, to secret encounters so as not to get caught by their parents and, a moment they were very attached to, the photo they had taken after their first night together.

"It seems a whole life has passed, what a nostalgia"

Jeongyeon closed the laptop, smiling excitedly "there is a reason why I wanted to relive all our moments until Nana was born. I want to keep one of my promises"

"Which one are you talking about? We've done so many that I don't remember any"

"The most important promise" she took a deep breath and leaned over to one of the pillows on the other side of the couch to grab a little box underneath it.

"Don't tell me that.. It's not possible" she was already making her want to cry.

The younger immediately pulled out the diamond ring, getting down on her knees in front of her girlfriend "I regret so many things every day, from when I was a at school to my behavior until a few months ago, but I never regret falling in love with you and fighting for our love when we had everyone against us. I made many mistakes, making you cry more times than I myself want to admit, and hurt you every single day after our baby girl was born, but despite everything you are still here and I couldn't feel more fortunate than that. You are a wonderful person, you taught me that loving doesn't mean destroying and that being loved doesn't mean being destroyed and I am grateful to you"

"You're quoting Shadowhunters" Nayeon was blowing her nose.

"That's not the point, focus" she smiled amused to see her cry with joy "I'm no longer afraid to admit that I love you and I love Nana more than anything else in the world and I don't care if my reputation as tough person is ending up straight in the toilet because I think all these things. Having said that.." she looked her straight in the eye, trying hard not to cry "Im Nayeon, would you like to marry me? "

Nayeon took a deep breath before giving herself a demeanor "yes, I want to marry you. I want it so much"

Jeongyeon didn't have time to put the ring on her finger that the older had thrown herself to kiss her passionately, pressing her against the floor. Despite the harshness and discomfort of the floor, their kiss was memorable and full of emotions, at least until Nayeon was pulled up abruptly.

"I have to tell everyone!" she got up from the ground to run to get the phone, but her girlfriend stopped her "what are you doing? They need to know!"

"You'll tell them tomorrow because now I only want you for me, Mrs. Yoo"