Chapter fourteen

The Reason Why

If she had known that things were going to turn out that way Nayeon would have decided long before to seduce Jeongyeon by asking her to exploit each other to have fun. They saw each other almost every day, taking advantage of the fact that Nana needed to see the both of them and pleasing themselves every single time.

That day they had been no less: they were still in the bed they shared until a few months before their separation, exhausted "you said not to exaggerate so as not to tire us further, but you were the one who didn't hold back" Nayeon was lying at belly down, eyes closed and arms around the pillow.

"It's not my fault you get tired right away" Jeongyeon was admiring all the marks she had left on her back "I know you liked it"

"Your ego is as immense as it is sensitive and in order not to hurt your feelings I'll just be silent"

The younger pinched her on her cheek "don't be mean and admit you enjoyed it or I swear I won't touch you again, not even with a finger"

Nayeon opened her eyes to give her an annoyed look "I can't stand you when you do this, you are more childish than Nana" she brought her face close to hers, biting her lower lip "you were fantastic, okay?"

"That's just what I wanted to hear from you" muttered the other before kissing her. The intensity of that kiss had pushed them to cling to each other but, unlike all the kisses they had given each other during their encounters, the sweetness had immediately taken over and there was no trace of the only physical attraction.

They used that time to explore each other with both the mouth and the hands and neither of them had no intention of putting an end to that special moment.

Jeongyeon's hands were always eager to go down and for that very reason her left hand had detached from Nayeon's cheek to go lower and lower, stopping abruptly when the fingertips touched the scar on the belly of the older girl. 

Her fear returned to hold her stomach in an unbearable grip and she couldn't help but interrupt that moment of tenderness, putting distance between her and the person she loved.

Nayeon understood the reason for that sudden reaction and said nothing to avoid worsening the situation, getting up to take back her clothes on the floor and shutting herself in the bathroom, both to get dressed and to give Jeongyeon time to recover.

When she came out of the bathroom Jeongyeon was still lying on the bed, the panic was gone but her body was as tense as a violin string "you feel a little better?"

"I calmed down and I apologize for reacting like this"

"It doesn't matter, I'm sorry for scaring you. Maybe.. Maybe we should stop seeing each other, it's clear that we will never be able to be friends"

The other girl had clenched her fists hard "what if I don't want to? I don't want to give up on you"

"We'll see each other at work, I'm still your lawyer" that statement didn't console her at all, but she was clinging to it with all her might "unless you want someone else to help you, I wouldn't be offended if you decide to replace me"

"Absolutely not, I only trust you" she was looking into space, torturing her hands meanwhile "I just have to recover from what we were about to do, it was like a bolt from the blue"

"I'll leave you alone then, get some rest and get ready for when Nana wakes up" she tucked her blankets in before leaving with a heavy heart.

 

 

 

 

Tzuyu had gotten used to Momo's almost constant presence, but it wasn't enough to make her feel sympathy for the girl "are you staying with us tonight too?" she asked impassively, moving to her side so as not to sit next to her and leaving the place in the middle for her sister.

"Yes, Jihyo asked me to watch a movie with you so as not to leave you two alone" she had placed a few packets of chips on the glass table in front of the couch .

"What a joy" she said emotionlessly, rolling her eyes involuntarily.

Momo was looking at her "you don't like me at all, do you?"

"Having you here at home with us doesn't bother me very much, but I can't say I'm happy to have an intruder on our movie night"

"You really don't mince words" she smiled, a little amused "it's a not indifferent quality"

"You should be mad at me" there was curiosity in her eyes, the hostility was gone as if by magic.

The brunette handed her a packet of chips, the ones she knew were her favorites "you didn't insult me ​​and you weren't rude, you just said what you think and frankly I really appreciate it, even if I hope to change your mind"

The other immediately bit into a chip "you aren't the one I despise the most, you have a long way to go before reaching Sana and Jeongyeon"

"Tzuyu, how many more times will I have to tell you not to speak ill of people who aren't present and cannot defend themselves?" Jihyo had reached them with two cans of soda and a bottle of water "you have to be more understanding with others, no one is perfect" she added softly.

"I approve of what she said, at least I'm not the person she hates the most" Momo was exulting "these are the satisfactions of life"

"I give up" the girl sitting in the middle let out a long sigh. They started the movie and none of the three said a word the whole time "when Dahyun and Nayeon aren't around this apartment is sadder than a hospital"

Momo was half sprawled on the couch "about this: where did they go?"

"Dahyun is with Mina and Nayeon needed to be alone for a while" the annoyance in her voice was quite evident.

"What's negative about this? She needs her space and it's normal"

Jihyo turned to her, sitting more comfortably "I don't like seeing her suffer for her ex because she doesn't deserve it. In my opinion she should walk away from her and wait for someone worthy to join her life, someone who love her without fear"

"Someone like you?"

"Exactly, she would be in good hands" she replied without thinking and the brunette's expression made her panic "wait, I didn't mean what you understood" she reached out to take her hands, but was pushed away with an annoyed gesture.

Momo was smiling without showing any cheerfulness "are you in love with Nayeon?"

Tzuyu, having realized that she was too much in that serious conversation, slowly got up and left them alone in the hope of not hearing them arguing.

"I wasn't talking about me, but about a person who cares about her as I do, even more if possible" she placed both hands on her round belly to stay calm "I'm not in love with her and you should know very well, the way you're looking at me hurts me"

The brunette looked away so as not to further hurt the other girl "you two have a strange bond, I've always known that"

"What about this? What do you want to insinuate?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days you were in bed together, you wouldn't say no to her if she touched you"

Those words were the most painful Jihyo had ever heard in her entire life, not even the mean spells of her parents could have competed "is this the opinion you have of me after everything that has happened between us? You know I love you and that, despite my hormones being unmanageable, I wouldn't even let anyone touch me but you. I want you and no one else, I don't know how to tell you to let you know" she wiped her face with the sleeve of the sweatshirt, sniffing.

"Stop crying, it hurts" her worry was the only thing Momo could hear at that moment "breathe deeply, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have told you those things"

"Do you know what hurts me the most? You want me all to yourself and you act like a jealous girlfriend, but at the same time you have an attitude that shows total disinterest in me and I can't stand it anymore, it's becoming unbearable"

The sorrow that the brunette was feeling was obvious "that's why I should have walked away from you when I had the opportunity, I'm a selfish and childish person" she was gently wiping her tears "I would be happy if you fell in love with someone who deserves to be by your side"

"I want to be with you" Jihyo had come close enough to touch their noses "I want your love and that of no one else" she whispered on her lips, putting aside the bad words that had been addressed to her.

They gently kissed for a long time and the pregnant girl, tired from all the events of the day, then fell asleep in Momo's arms, who felt terribly guilty.

 

 

 

 

The long-awaited and feared day had arrived and Mina was standing in front of Chaeyoung's door, who had arrived almost half an hour early. She couldn't find the courage to push the button to ring the bell and her frustration was taking the place of her anxiety.

"What are you doing in front of my door?" Chaeyoung was looking at her with her eyebrows raised up "you are quite early"

The younger girl was gaping in front of her, focusing her gaze on her hair "in the end you decided to keep it pink"

"I like this color a lot and this morning I had some free time, so I'm back to being a fantastic highlighter" they went into the house and took off their shoes "get where you want and do as if you were at home"

"I'd rather stay on my feet and get straight to the heart of this matter " she had put on her anti-stress ring to keep her fingers busy, but her anxiety didn't want to leave her alone "you can sit down if you want"

The older didn't let her to repeat twice and immediately sank into the couch cushions "now I can listen to you"

"First of all I would like to tell you that I have missed you, in these two months we have only seen each other once"

"Unfortunately we have had many commitments"

"You know what I mean, I'm talking about our fight. It was that that pulled you away from me and I wanted to apologize, I behaved like a capricious girl" she made a prolonged bow, then she went back to standing straight "I would like to start from that"

The pink-haired girl immediately put her hand forward to stop her "I don't want to hear you talk about your crush, I love Dahyun but it's really not the time to name her"

"I have to talk about her or I'll never get to what I want to tell you, can I?" after receiving her consent she paced around the glass coffee table in front of the couch, telling her about her and Dahyun's attempts to behave like a couple.

Chaeyoung's disappointment was the only thing that transpired from her deadpan expression "I can't believe it, you asked me to see each other to complain about your relationship"

Mina shook her head, kneeling in front of her and taking her hands "let me finish, I assure you you're going off-road"

The blonde's sad eyes had always been Chaeyoung's weak point, so she took a deep breath and patted her lightly on the head "okay, go ahead"

"We have tried in every way and, believe it or not, in these two months we have given each other only an insignificant kiss. Dahyun hasn't felt anything and for me it was the same, let's say that kiss gave the jolt I needed to understand what my heart desires"

The other girl said nothing, just listening carefully to every single word and urging the blonde to continue with a gesture of her hand.

"I'm very afraid of your reaction, but I can't wait any longer" she squeezed her hands tightly "I realized that I'm in love with you. I probably always have been and I didn't understand it because your presence was a constant for me, but it was just when you decided not to see me anymore that I realized how much your smile had power over me, how happy it made me to have your attention"

Chaeyoung had teary eyes "this joke is too cruel" a tear slid quickly down her cheek, falling on her jeans.

"I'm not kidding, I swear to you. Chae, look at me" she was her face "I'm in love with you and I want to be your girlfriend, if that's what you want too. I want to share my first experiences with the one and only Son Chaeyoung"

The older didn't answer in words, but she did it with her gestures: she leaned forward to kiss the girl she loved so much, holding her in her arms "it's not a dream, is it?"

Mina shook her head, smiling like she had never done before "it's reality"

"I'm a fool, I should have pretended not to be interested for at least a minute" they lay on the couch without breaking the hug "I realize that I could never play the part of the person who lost interest, I desired and dreamed this moment for too long"

"Now you don't have to just think about me anymore, I belong to you" she was still smiling.

"Does this mean that we will also do the things I always wanted to do with you?"

"Of course, I'm your girlfriend"

Chaeyoung was smiling mischievously as her hand made its way to rest on Mina's "I suggest you prepare yourself mentally, I have plans for the two of us and a lot of time to make up"

 

 

 

 

It was finally Dahyun's birthday and those who lived with her were throwing a small surprise party in their apartment. They had hung up colorful balloons, ordered pizza, and prepared a list of movies that they could all watch together.

"You should have let Nana take part too, you're bad" Tzuyu was blowing up a balloon, showing all her disappointment.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not the only one taking care of her and today it was the grandparents' turn"

The younger handed her the balloon to avoid blowing it up in an attempt to tie a knot "tomorrow it's up to us though, I'll talk to the witch"

Both of them laughed "Tzu, stop insulting Jeongyeon" 

"If you tell me while you're laughing you make me understand that I can do it and then it's not my fault if she behaves like one"

"Stop gossiping and help me hang this balloon, Dahyun will be here shortly" Jihyo was standing on a chair.

Nayeon immediately panicked and caught up with her in a second "get off immediately, it might turn your head! You're a fool, get your down. Now"

The other girl did what she was told to avoid arguing, determined to entertain all of then during the little party "do you think she will be happy?"

"In my opinion yes, she doesn't expect it" Tzuyu was smiling slightly, showing a small dimple on her cheek "I hope to see her smile"

The two older girls were observing her with affection, noticing the change she was going through: she was spontaneous to smile from time to time, if she felt down she did her best to say it, she loved being pampered and sometimes she even succeeded to laugh heartily.

"She has improved a lot, it seems like a miracle" Jihyo had her eyes full of tears "I'm so proud of her"

The older was her back "all three of you have grown a lot, believe me"

The door of the apartment opened slowly and Dahyun was immediately startled by the good wishes they had shouted at her. She smiled after putting a hand to her chest "thank you, but you almost gave me a heart attack"

"You spent the whole day with Mina and we couldn't wait to see you, come here and get a kiss" Jihyo kissed her on the cheek, immediately imitated by the other two "you arrived at the right time because our pizza will arrive soon"

The birthday girl was looking around, not losing her smile even for a second despite being on the verge of tears "I didn't expect it, I don't know how to thank you"

Jihyo rolled her eyes not to cry "don't do that, I'm pretty sensitive lately"

"By now this apartment has become the place where everyone cry" Tzuyu had already made herself comfortable on the couch "concentrate on the film we are about to watch, it is much better and less tiring than crying"

Nayeon had decided to sit on the carpet "I agree with you, we must have fun and not cry. Come here"

They settled next to each other, interrupting the first movie to share the pizza and resuming during dinner. Eating like that wasn't the greatest convenience, especially for Jihyo, but seeing Dahyun's smile and Tzuyu's tranquility was enough to convince the two adults that breaking the rules, for once, wouldn't be a problem.

They commented on the film all together and once finished Jihyo disappeared for a few minutes with the excuse of having to go to the bathroom, returning shortly after with a small package hidden behind her back. Nayeon instead, saying she had to wash the glasses, had managed to go to the kitchen while Tzuyu was trying to distract her sister.

When the light went out the birthday girl smiled amused, covering her face with her hair "don't sing, it's embarrassing"

They didn't listen to her and even Tzuyu sang since she was so amused to see her older sister so embarrassed, after which they ate her cake without having cut it and put it in the saucers. they soiled each other's faces with chocolate, taking photos to capture the moment.

"This is from us, we really hope you like it" Jihyo handed the package to her little sister.

Dahyun eagerly tore the paper, smiling radiantly as she saw the gift "these headphones have just been released and are nowhere to be found!"

"We know, but we were pretty quick and smart and we managed to get them in time" Nayeon was looking at her fondly "Tzuyu chose the color"

"It's a perfect gift, thank you all. Really" she squeezed the box in her arms with extreme care "I'll try them before I go to sleep and let you know what I think"

Tzuyu made a face "but don't turn up the volume to the maximum or I won't be able to sleep"

"I promise to be careful" she smiled affectionately. The evening had been simple and only the four of them had celebrated, but for Dahyun it was the best birthday of her life because, although surrounded by few people, she knew she was loved and it was enough for her.