Chapter eleven

The Reason Why

"Do you remember that I didn't come back to sleep a few nights ago?" Nayeon asked out of the blue after eating a potato chip. She glanced to the side, not interested in the film they had decided to watch together.

Jihyo was already looking at her with curiosity "of course I remember, you came back very late the next day and you were nothing short of upset. Was it such a traumatic experience?"

"To tell the truth it was one of the best nights of of my life"

"So what's troubling you? You're acting strangely lately, it's as if you turned off and you're always distracted"

The older sighed, putting her hands in her hair "I drank like a camel and calling my ex seemed like a brilliant idea. I behaved like a fool and we ended up in bed together"

There was a moment of silence "you did what?!" Jihyo slapped her on the leg "blame on you Nayeon, you assured me you had everything under control!"

"I was a fool, but Jeongyeon put hers on it too, I assure you" she moved her shirt, showing her the signs of the night she spent with her ex "she had been drinking too and she didn't realize what she was doing, I know that she would never touch me with a clear mind given her fear" 

"What do you mean? Didn't you talk to each other when you woke up?" the younger was quite confused.

"I left without waking her, as you have seen I chose to do the walk of shame" she wanted to escape to another continent to contain the trouble she had made.

Jihyo decided not to scold her "I have a confession to make too"

"Shoot, you can't have done something worse"

"I slept with Momo and, as you know, she flirts with everyone while I can't stop thinking about what we did. I made her a jealous scene and I'm ashamed to death"

Nayeon's hand found the other girl's "I take back what I said, you just can't keep your legs closed when she's around"

"Don't call me any good!" her cheeks were flushed with embarrassment "some time has already passed and nothing else has happened since that time, while the mess you made is much more recent"

"You're a , I'll sign this" muttered the other, returning to focus her attention on the TV screen.

They remained silent, shoulder to shoulder until the end of the movie, neither intended to move or to say a word and the younger just put pressure on the other girl with her eyes. When the heaviness of that silence became unbearable Jihyo spoke up "Tzuyu asked me a question that I can't get out of my head"

"What did she ask you?" she replied in a low voice.

"She can't understand why we're pining for people who don't want to be with us and she asked me why you and I haven't become a couple yet"

Nayeon smiled, but without glee "she's not all wrong to ask these questions, it would be easier if we fell in love with each other" she turned to look at her, resting her head on the pillow.

"I would like to be loved by you, I can be sure of that"

"You know very well that I love you, I've already told you several times" she touched her belly.

Jihyo leaned towards her, placing her forehead against hers "I love you too and I can't help but wonder if these feelings can turn into romantic love"

"I have no idea, I've never tried these things for a friend" she hadn't moved an inch, allowing the younger to shorten more and more the distance between them. They kiss lightly on the lips and, when she sensed Jihyo's intention to deepen the kiss, Nayeon gently broke away from her "we are both very fragile at this moment, you above all, and we should just being us, without looking for a feeling that may never be born" 

"You're right" she had rested her head on her chest "I'd rather stay single all my life than lose the person who makes me happy every day"

"I think the same, this kind of love is wonderful even though it doesn't involve romance. And don't kiss me anymore, your breath smells like onion" she smiled amused.

"It's the chips!" blurted out the other, showing offense while the older girl was laughing without sparing herself.

 

 

 

 

"How would you react if I told you I did something stupid?" Sana was tapping her nails on the club counter, waiting for her second drink.

"Depends on the severity of your action, I suppose" the brunette was looking around for someone to hang out with, looking for Jihyo's face in every girl she looked at.

Her best friend nonchalantly imitated her "I could, by sheer coincidence, have invited Dahyun to my apartment and, again by chance, ended up in bed with her"

Momo laughed heartily "this joke is really funny" she turned to laugh with her, putting an end to that moment of hilarity after seeing her serious expression "you're not kidding" she stated in a low voice.

"I don't regret what I did, but at the same time I feel like I have committed the worst crime in the world" she took a sip of the newly arrived drink "I would like to do it again and I'm not just talking about the ual act, sleeping with her it was special"

The other girl was staring down "even if a minor Dahyun is perfectly capable of understanding and wanting, so I think the situation isn't as bad as you think, but you have to be careful or you will break her heart"

"I want to talk to her as soon as possible and put an end to everything peacefully. We will suffer for a while, but it is the best decision for the both of us"

The vibration of Momo's cell phone triggered the girl, since she had left that mode for only one number. She opened the chat and immediately got up from the stool "Jihyo needs help, her roommate's daughter is sick"

"Let's go now" Sana paid for their drinks and got behind the wheel, accelerating as much as possible "she wrote you what the baby has? Maybe we can buy something at the pharmacy"

"She didn't tell me, she just asked to go there to calm the situation"

"I hope it's nothing too serious"

 

 

 

 

Emily was filling two goblets of wine, humming happily and glancing at the person sitting next to her on the couch "I suggest you to drink slowly, this wine is really strong" she handed her one of the glasses, bringing her own for a toast "is it good?" 

"A lot, I really needed it" Jeongyeon had had a five-hour meeting in the afternoon and the first thing she did after setting foot in her colleague's house was to take off her tie, throw her jacket at the bottom of the couch and open the first two buttons of her shirt "it's been a long day"

"I only attended the debate for half an hour and I was destroyed, I can't imagine your tiredness. Turn around, I'll give you a massage"

The other girl relaxed immediately, the feeling of lightness given by the wine and the pleasure of having her aching shoulders massaged were a deadly combo for her. She thought back to all the times Nayeon had delighted her with her massages and one memory in particular, though not inherent in that activity, made her detach from the world.

 

"My feet are swollen even today and, as if that weren't enough, I'm bigger than a basketball" Nayeon was in front of the mirror, gazing at her baby bump.

"What do you expect? You are in the seventh month of pregnancy and it's normal to have this giant belly" Jeongyeon knelt down in front of her to give many kisses to the belly "there is our baby in here"

The older girl sat on their bed, gently massaging her girlfriend's head "your mother has proposed me a name for the baby, since she will be born in July"

"Which name?" she had closed her eyes, relaxing as she waited to feel her baby move in the older's womb.

"She explained to me that in Japan it is customary to call girls born on July 7th Nana, but according to her it would be fine for any day of that month"

Jeongyeon was smiling "Yoo Nana doesn't sound bad and would bring our little girl closer to my mother's family. My relatives in Japan are no longer in their skin at the idea of ​​knowing her"

"I would say to trash the other names we had chosen, your mother will be in seventh heaven because of happiness" she smiled radiantly.

"We could use them in the future, you never know" Jeongyeon stood up, placing her hands on the bed and approaching the pregnant girl to give her a kiss "we have a lifetime to come together, I intend to marry you and have other children with you"

Nayeon smiled amused and excited at the same time "I will wait for the official marriage proposal and, regarding the talk of having other children, you will be the next to get pregnant"

"That's all to see, you know I prefer to consider myself the man of the situation" she winked at her "there is a reason why as a young girl I always wore short hair and if I don't like wearing skirts or dresses"

"You are a tomboy and we all know it, but I also know the female version of you and I know that you would like to experience the joys and sorrows of pregnancy"

"You never miss a thing, future Mrs. Yoo" she kissed her tenderly on the lips before dragging her towards the pillows and turning off the light "goodnight, I love you"

"I love you too, goodnight" they kissed again, after which they made themselves comfortable to be able to sleep embraced.

 

"Earth calls Jeongyeon, it's not nice to get distracted while someone is seducing you" she was kissing her neck "what are you thinking about?"

"Nayeon" was the only thing she managed to say, unable to hold back the tears of sadness.

"I understand, it must be hard, but lucky for you I'm here" she turned her to wipe her cheeks "tonight I can be the person you want, you just have to leave the work to the wine we drank" she slowed her hands to her shirt "always better than nothing, right? We can both earn a lot from this"

Jeongyeon didn't want to be touched by anyone other than the person she was in love with, but she was aware that she could no longer feel her loving touch and she let herself go completely. As soon as Emily pushed her to lie down on the couch her cell phone fell out of her trouser pocket, the screen starting to light up a little later more and more frequently, but neither of them noticed.

 

 

 

 

"She doesn't answer, we agreed to always be there for our daughter. !" Nayeon threw her cell phone on the couch with such violence that it bounced off the pillows and fell to the floor.

"You're scaring everyone with these outbursts of anger, you have to calm down" Jihyo was trying to calm Nana's desperate crying, doing everything possible to cradle her and give her some peace "maybe she's busy or she's already sleeping, it can happen"

The older put her hand to her chest, clenching her fist on the shirt she was wearing "maybe you're right, I should stop screaming" she walked over to her little girl to kiss her head "she's too feverish, I have to take her to the hospital and my car is at the mechanic"

"I know and I've already called for help, it's only a matter of time now" she did her best to calm her down.

"I try to call Mina, maybe Jeongyeon is with her" she picked up the phone from the floor and waited patiently, getting angry again after closing the call "she's not at her parents' house and I don't know how to contact her anymore, I won't let no one to try to accuse me of not having warned her"

Tzuyu opened the front door, letting the two adults come in to help. Momo immediately approached the little girl "now let's go to the hospital, give her to me" she gently took the little girl, holding firmly to keep her from falling "Sana, give me the car keys" she reached out to take them.

"I'm staying here with the girls" the redhead pointed to Dahyun and Tzuyu "keep me updated, please"

Nayeon didn't even take her coat, walking out of the apartment at a brisk pace. She couldn't stop swearing.

"Could you calm down? I understand your concern, but in this way you are scaring the little girl and Jihyo" the brunette was focused on driving "everything will be resolved, I'm sure it's nothing too serious"

"Nana is very fragile, that's why I'm so worried and, as if that weren't enough, that of her mother doesn't answer the phone" she fixed the little girl's hat "I don't mind having her near when I'm sick, but for our daughter I expect that she is always there. I'll be exaggerating, but I can't help it"

Jihyo turned to look at her "we are here, you aren't alone, and I'm sure Jeongyeon will show up as soon as possible"

Arriving at the hospital, time had speeded up, not giving the three girls the opportunity to assimilate the succession of events. A doctor had taken Nana away, followed by Nayeon, and the other two girls were left waiting.

 

 

 

 

Tzuyu had fallen asleep on the couch and her older sister had woken her up to accompany her to bed, further ruining her mood "I want to wait for them to come back" she murmured sleepily, trying to keep her eyes open.

"You are too tired to stand up and it is much better if you rest, it's very late" she tucked the covers carefully "the situation is under control and I am sure that tomorrow Nana will be well enough to destroy all our things"

"She's a little monster" the younger's voice had dropped to a whisper. She fell asleep immediately after saying those words, losing her perpetually serious expression to give way to a relaxed one.

Dahyun left her alone, closing the bedroom door before reaching the living room "she collapsed, she was really tired"

"Better this way, someone has to rest" Sana was sitting on the couch with her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes closed "you should sleep too"

"It's still early for me, I'm used to falling asleep late at night" she sat down next to her, mimicking her posture and refraining from stressing the tension between them.

"I know you think so, but I don't regret what happened between us" murmured the redhead shortly after her, turning her head to look into her eyes "but I can't deny that I feel guilty"

The surprise on Dahyun's face was obvious "can you read minds? You scared me"

Sana smiled, hugging her with her arm and kissing her forehead "you are like an open book, I don't need to have special skills to understand what you think"

"It's not fair, you never let me read your mind" she made the little lip.

Resisting the temptation to kiss her was no longer part of the redhead's plans, who immediately leaned over to put her lips on Dahyun's "you complain all the time, little girl"

The younger was smiling as she waited to be kissed until she lost her breath "okay you're right, I'm a capricious and irrecoverable girl. Now can we put an end to the discussion?"

They both laughed, pausing often during the kiss to look each other in the eye and imprint every single detail in their minds. Dahyun had positioned herself over the older's legs, not taking off until the girls and Nana returned.

They had talked a lot during the brief pauses between kisses, agreeing to stop seeing each other to avoid suffering in the future. Sana had wiped away Dahyun's tears, barely resisting the temptation to withdraw everything they said to each other and indulge in the passion.

Before the redhead left the apartment they had exchanged a long look and their eyes had transmitted the same emotions. They loved each other, but being away from each other seemed like the best option for them.

 

 

 

 

Nayeon had already taken Nana to sleep and Dahyun had finally made up her mind to go to bed too, leaving Jihyo and Momo in the kitchen to talk.

"What a difficult night, luckily nothing bad happened" murmured the younger, exhausted by the hustle and bustle.

"Children are very delicate, but Nana is tough as far as I have seen" she smiled encouragingly before getting up from the chair "I would go, Sana left me on foot and it will take a while for a taxi to arrive here"

Jihyo immediately took her hand "you can sleep here, I still have the clothes you lent me when at your house I spilled the sauce on me and for the pajamas I can lend you one of mine"

"You didn't give me the chance to refuse the invitation, you are terrible" she kissed her cheek "okay, I'll settle the couch and dive into the cushions. I'm very tired"

"Who said you'll sleep on the couch?" she raised her eyebrows, pointing to the small corridor leading to the bedrooms "you will sleep with me, any bed would be much more comfortable and warmer than my awful couch"

Momo raised her hands in surrender, before placing them gently on her swollen belly "okay mommy, don't get angry" she smiled amused.

"Say it again and I'll pull all your hair out" she looked at her wide-eyed.

"Don't be offended, you're a y mommy" she laughed after receiving a light slap on the arm "I understand you like violence, but try to contain yourself for once"

"Now I'll kill you!" she chased her around the apartment, screaming threats every time she heard her laugh.

"Go to sleep!" the other three girls shouted in chorus.

"It's all your fault" Jihyo hissed before throwing herself on the bed, pouting.

Momo immediately reached her, lying down next to her "you are more touchy than a child" she kissed her nose "I hope the child doesn't look like you in temperament or it will be the end for everyone"

"And to who is supposed to look like? You?" she was belatedly aware of what she had uttered and her heart began to beat fast with worry that she had ruined the moment.

The brunette didn't say anything for a few seconds, just staring at the girl in her arms. She moved her hand from her side to her belly "let's say the baby will be smart like you and funny like me, it seems like a nice mix"

Jihyo put her hand on Momo's "what names do you like? Give me some ideas"

"For a girl I find that the name Eunji is very nice, for a boy I like Minjun very much. They are simple names, but they have nice meanings" Momo's eyes were shining with excitement and the pregnant girl allowed herself, just for that short time, to imagine a life with her.