Chapter two

The Reason Why

Dahyun hated the new school and all the students who populated it, feeling so repulsed by the place to the point that she wanted to cry and swear every morning. Despite wanting to throw a tantrum she did her best not to burden the situation for her little sister, she didn't want to pass on her negative emotions and overwhelm her in any way.

They had been moving for a month now and no one at school had ever deigned to be at least kind to them; for that reason the older always did everything possible to stay close to the younger.

"What lessons do you have today? The worst of my day is science, really boring" they were walking, both with their eyes turned towards the asphalt.

"I have to take a math test"

Dahyun took her by the arm, feigning a cheerfulness she wasn't feeling "try as hard as you can, without thinking about the result"

Tzuyu nodded slowly, immersed in her thoughts "before we left the apartment I heard Jihyo throw up" she said it in a flat and detached voice, but she was very worried.

"Maybe last night's dinner stayed on her stomach, she practically ate for two people"

They had just passed the gate of the institute and the looks directed at them, but especially at Tzuyu, made Dahyun nervous: she didn't care about being targeted, but she didn't think the same for her sister. She wanted to see her at ease with herself and, why not, with friends who could really love her "I'll take you to class, I want to spend as much time as possible with you" she smiled at her.

"You'll be late, the bell is about to ring"

"It doesn't matter, you are my priority"

 

 

 

 

Settling into the world of work was child's play for Jihyo, who in addition to being very good at her tasks was also much loved by most of her colleagues and by the boss. There was, however, one person who had a greater adoration for her, considering the fact that they had been dating for exactly a month.

Momo had made her find a donut and some coffee on her desk, a habit she had taken from the early days and one that the younger liked very much. The only one who wasn't happy with those attentions was Sana "we shared the cradle and yet you never bought me breakfast" she pouted "give me your coffee and maybe I'll be able to forgive you"

"Get your off and go buy it yourself, profiteer" the brunette was already focused on reviewing the material to be printed.

"I bought it for you, keep it" Jihyo placed her breakfast in front of the redhead before reaching out to kiss Momo's cheek "good morning, thanks for breakfast"

The smile on the face of the older made it clear what her thoughts were "you will have to show me your gratitude or I will think that you are taking advantage of my kindness"

"Yuck, I've just started eating" Sana made a face in disgust "I don't know how to tell you not to flirt when I'm around"

Jihyo couldn't finish her breakfast, she was too nauseous that morning and didn't want to risk getting sick again "I apologize for her, you know how she is"

"Forget this carrot-headed loser, she's just jealous. You know how she is, she's still hoping to meet the girl she fell in love with" Momo winked, earning a punch on her arm from her best friend.

"Would you like to come to my house today? I'd like to introduce you to my sisters, they're curious to meet you. They can't stand me anymore because I'm just talking about you two lately" she smiled, adjusting the glasses on her nose.

Momo shook her head no, sorry "I would love to, but today it's my turn to accompany my mother to do physiotherapy. I will never allow anyone to operate on my hip, seeing her suffer so much makes my hair shake too"

"It's a shame, but we can make it another day. I hope your mother recovers soon, it can't be easy to handle such a situation" Jihyo's smile was kind and understanding.

"I'm available, we could also stop and buy dinner. Do your sisters like pizza? It's on me" the redhead was already choosing the closest pizzeria to her friend's apartment.

The brunette nodded, pointing to the area where she lived on the map "they love it so much that they want to eat it every day. You will definitely win them over, thank you"

"It's a pleasure for me, I can't wait for tonight!" she went to work, humming a song she had heard on the radio earlier.

Momo got up from the chair "Jihyo, I have to make photocopies and I need your help"

The other girl immediately followed her into the closet dedicated solely and exclusively to printers, finding herself in the arms of the brunette immediately after setting foot there. They used to exchange intense kisses, taking advantage of the fact that no one but the two of them ever needed to use the printer.

Unfortunately for them that morning there were very few things to print and the time to dedicate to each other was rather limited "I can't wait for tomorrow, you will be mine alone for the whole lunch and afternoon" Momo took the sheets, stacking them carefully, and gave her one last and tender kiss to the lips.

"You always think about that, you are a ert" Jihyo immediately scolded her, but she too couldn't wait to roll in the covers with the one she had begun to consider as her girlfriend. She hoped to feel good so that she could give the best of herself and enjoy every moment with Momo.

 

 

 

 

The school day had been terrible for both Dahyun and Tzuyu, and as if the constant teasing of their classmates weren't enough, they were having dinner with a friend of her sister's tonight and they didn't feel like it. They hated meeting new people, they didn't appreciate the curious and at the same time contemptuous looks directed at them.

"Tzu, do you know where I left my earphones? I can't find them anywhere and I'd like to listen to the latest album by my favorite band"

The younger stopped practicing her writing, putting the pencil on the table and massaging her hand in a distracted manner "last time they were on the kitchen table, check there" she resumed writing, feeling frustrated at a word she couldn't manage to write well.

Hearing the noise of the pencil being thrown on the coffee table made Dahyun run into the living room "are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, but I can't understand what I'm writing. I'm really stupid" she was mortified for the third time that day "during the test I couldn't do a simple addition and the professor was angry when I asked him to help me. I already know I have to expect a horrible grade"

The older got down on her knees beside her, ignoring the anger she was feeling and handing her pencil back "you aren't stupid, you are just a little slow, but that doesn't mean that you are less intelligent than others. In my opinion your brain is the biggest in that ty school of idiots. I'll help you write, although I must admit I see a huge improvement" she was sincere: the characters were still a bit imprecise, but it wasn't difficult to understand what was written.

Tzuyu was staring at her with wide eyes, a habit that she couldn't break free and that scared those who didn't know her and couldn't know that this way of observing people was reserved only for her sisters. It was like a hug for normal people "you should finish your homework first, you're not done yet"

"I'll think about it later, you don't have to worry. Are you ready?" they did the dictation, taking a long time but succeeding in their intent "you were fantastic, look how well you wrote the last sentences, the words are all perfect!" her enthusiasm was genuine.

The younger looked at the set of words she had written, but what caught her attention was the proud look of her sister. She decided to make a little effort to show her gratitude and managed to caress her hair "thanks, I couldn't have done it without your help"

Dahyun's eyes were teary with the emotion "thank you for giving me a good reason not to break down"

The door to the apartment opened at that moment and Jihyo walked in her with two giant cartons of pizza, followed by a girl who was carrying two bags with drinks "it's dinner time!"

The two sisters stood up to help out: Tzuyu helped Jihyo carry the pizzas, while Dahyun had taken one of the bags from her sister's friend's hand.

"Thanks, be careful though or the beers will break" Sana spoke gently.

Hearing that voice made Dahyun turn towards the stranger, who widened her eyes as soon as she saw her face "I can't believe it.. It's you" she was in shock "you're the girl from the club, you're the maniac"

The older was just as shocked as she was, as well as feeling excited "I've been looking for you for a month and you've always been so close"

Jihyo and Tzuyu returned to them and the first one smiled "it's time to introduce you to my friend. Sana, this is Dahyun and Tzuyu" she said pointing to her sisters after saying their name "I recommend not to be fooled by appearance, as they look older than they really are, and not to give them beer"

"We're minors" Tzuyu added after seeing the redhead's confused expression.

Sana wanted to bury herself instantly, remembering the way she clung to Dahyun that night at the club. She thought back to the kiss she had given her and she mentally cursed herself "very nice to meet you, hope we get along" she made an effort to smile. When Jihyo and Tzuyu were back in the kitchen to set the table she turned to the brunette "what the hell were you doing in a club for adults if you're a minor?"

Dahyun replied in a low voice "it's none of your business, so please avoid talking to my sister"

"I can't believe I kissed and longed for a little girl"

"I'm almost eighteen, I'm not that young" the younger replied immediately, annoyed "you stole my first kiss, you might as well pretend not to be so shocked and let that memory remain among the best of my life"

Sana behaved naturally throughout the dinner, asking questions to her friend's sisters and not arousing any suspicion, but inside she felt divided in two: she was happy to have found the girl who had invaded her thoughts and fantasies but the age difference frightened her.

"How old are you?" Tzuyu was looking at her impassively even though she was the one most likely to ask questions.

"I'm twenty-three, like your sister" saying it out loud almost hurt her, especially after noticing the way Dahyun had been looking at her the whole time. Her feelings, if they could be so defined, were surely reciprocated, but at what price?

Before leaving she was stopped by the younger, who grabbed the sleeve of her jacket "can I have your phone number? I'd like to know you better"

Sana said no with her head "it would be better to avoid and just keep the memory, trust me" she gently removed her hand and smiled cheerfully "goodnight, don't be late or tomorrow you will have a hard time getting up to go to school" she greeted her again and left, feeling that she had a heavy heart.

 

 

 

 

Driving in the evenings was almost therapeutic for Jeongyeon and coupled with the laughter of her little girl and sister was even better; she would have enjoyed the moment to the fullest if only she hadn't had problems with the person sitting in the passenger seat.

"Mom!" exclaimed Nana, a little girl of just two years "mom!" she did her best to attract the much desired attention.

Nayeon turned to the back seats, smiling softly "what does my princess want?"

The little girl just laughed and grabbed the arm of her young aunt "tired aunt".

"We're taking her home honey so she can rest. Cuddle her or she'll feel sad"

Mina smiled amused, enjoying the delicacy of the chubby little hand of her niece "Mum and Dad told me to invite you to lunch this Saturday, do you have any commitments?" she looked at them hopefully, having no real friends to rely on she loved spending time with them.

"I have no commitments, that's fine with me" Jeongyeon was focused on the road "as long as Mom doesn't cook again for an army, it took us two days to finish the leftovers from the last time"

The girl smiled, turning her attention to her sister-in-law "will you be there?"

The older was looking out the window, deep in her thoughts "I don't know, I'm not part of the family"

"Now start saying bullting again" Jeongyeon was annoyed.

Nana promptly repeated the swear word, albeit with some inaccuracy, and she laughed alone. Being very little she couldn't realize the tension that had enveloped the inside of the car.

"You have to stop saying these words, you know that our daughter repeats everything"

"Sure, change the subject"

"There's Mina, I don't think we need to talk about our relationship problems in front of her"

Mina was just looking at them, doing her best not to cry. She had noticed that things hadn't been going well between them for a while "Jeong, you should stop treating her like this. Your attitude is pushing all boundaries"

The person directly concerned stopped the car in front of her parents' house, running a hand through her hair "I'm sorry, I'm very stressed and I tend to get angry about everything. Go now, tomorrow you will move to the new school and you will have to be loaded. Let me know how it goes, okay?"

"Sure" Mina kissed her niece's forehead and waved to the two adults before getting out of the car.

Jeongyeon waited to see the door close behind her sister's back before leaving, checking her daughter from the rearview mirror from time to time. She couldn't help but check out her girlfriend too, who had closed her eyes and leaned her head against the window. She wanted to take her hand and hold it as she shifted gears, but she felt stuck.

When they got to their house they both took care of Nana, singing her songs to put her to sleep. Nayeon was very good at calming their little girl, knowing how to sing her favorite songs to perfection, while Jeongyeon was the mother to play with wildly.

The latter was lying on the couch while enjoying the darkness of the living room, immersed in her most hidden thoughts. She had closed her eyes and was about to fall asleep, but feeling Nayeon's lips resting on hers, albeit in a very delicate way, made her jump forward and push the girl away "what the hell are you doing?!" she looked at her angrily.

Nayeon had a hard time swallowing, so much she wanted to cry "what have I done wrong? I just wanted to kiss you goodnight"

All the anger vanished in an instant "sorry, you just scared me"

"I can't understand why you refuse to be near me, it's since Nana was born that you behave like this. If I've done something wrong, have the courage to tell me and I'll do everything possible to fix it" she took her hand "Jeong, I'm begging you. I can no longer feel you far away from me"

Jeongyeon pulled her hand away "you didn't do anything, but I don't want to have you near. Let's go to sleep, it's very late and we have to work tomorrow" she got up from the couch, regretting having acted that way immediately after hearing her girlfriend's muffled sobs. 

 

 

 

 

The next morning Jihyo found herself bent over again in front of the toilet, vomiting everything she had eaten the night before. After she finished throwing up she brushed her teeth and washed her face, pinching her cheeks a few times to hide some of the paleness.

She took her cell phone and called her doctor "yes, you guessed it. It has been going on for a few days, but I'm not eating anything strange"

"Are you eating more than normal?" the doctor was writing everything down on a piece of paper.

"Yes, I'm always very hungry. What could it be?"

There was a few seconds of silence "you eat more than normal, you feel nauseous every morning, you get tired easily and you feel particularly sensitive to any stimulus. I don't want to scare you, but you could be pregnant and I would like to make sure of it as soon as possible. Come to the studio today, the gynecologist has no appointments"

Jihyo was shaking, but she tried her best to get to the medical office run by the two sisters who had followed her since she was little, one was a general practitioner while the other was a gynecologist.

"Let's look at the monitor" the woman was doing an ultrasound "do you see this dot here? It's your baby. You're in the sixth week, luckily the symptoms have started or you wouldn't have noticed"

The girl had her eyes bulging "am I pregnant? Really?"

"You are and from what I see everything is fine, but I advise you to take some vitamins, especially folic acid because it would be good for both you and the baby" the gynecologist was excited "I saw you grow up and I really am excited at this moment, I make photocopies of the ultrasound"

"Should I keep the baby? I just got a job and I have to look after my sisters, I don't think I'm ready to raise a child"

"The decision is up to you, but given the progress of the pregnancy you should decide quickly. Do what you feel like doing, it's your body and you have every right to act as you see fit" she gave her the photocopies "think about it and then come back to me"

Jihyo managed to leave the doctor's office after half an hour of mixed thoughts. She looked at the image she had in her hands, focusing on what a few months later would take the appearance of a baby, of her child "what should I do now?"