Chapter sixteen

The Reason Why

Having slept together hadn't changed the things between Sana and Dahyun, causing Dahyun to get angry right after setting foot in her apartment "what's the point of spending the night together if the next day we act as if nothing had happened? My sister and Momo do it all the time and I find it horrible to say the least" she had thrown the jacket on the floor with force.

Sana was at the front door, ready to leave "do not mess up or Jihyo will get nervous"

"Don't change the subject, I won't let you go until we finish talking. Do you really think that a gift, a night together and a ride home can be enough to make me satisfied and stop loving you?"

"And you think that I wouldn't like to be able to do these things when I feel like it? This situation is heavy for me too, but you are focusing only on what you want and I remind you that being with a minor is a risk"

"I'm already an adult in many countries of the world, age is just a number! You also said that I look older and that my level of maturity is able to surpass that of many adults"

The redhead was massaging her temples "I said it and I think it, but that can't eliminate the six years of difference between us"

"If you think so, you should have stayed away from me from the beginning, without having with me twice!" she screamed.

Sana couldn't answer to tell her that they were both involved in what had happened because of the door, which had snapped open. Jihyo entered the apartment with an emotionless expression "did I hear you right?" she was looking her little sister straight in her eyes "you have ten seconds to answer me"

"Depends on what you heard" she swallowed hard, feeling choked with anxiety.

The pregnant girl's eyes had shifted to look at Sana "did you really have with my sister? Answer me!"

"It's all true" the redhead's face had lost all trace of kindness, leaving room for total seriousness "we met a few days before your arrival at work and it all started from that random encounter"

All the pieces of the puzzle were slowly returning to their place, allowing Jihyo to reconstruct the events "now I understand the reason for all your questions about my sisters and your concern for them, you did it to have with Dahyun"

"It didn't go as you think, even if this doesn't change the reality of the facts and I'm aware of it. I have never forced her in any way and I have tried with all my strength to stay away from her, but I haven't succeeded and I'm sorry both for having deceived Dahyun and for lying to you all these months"

Jihyo's laugh was more forced than ever "I can't believe it, you've been making fun of me all this time" she put her hands in her hair, holding back the tears that were threatening to flow down her face "you would have had all my support if you had only told me, we would have found a way to keep you from getting to this point"

"I was the one who decided not to say anything, you already had too many things to think about and I didn't want to be an extra burden" Dahyun was looking at the toes of her shoes "and, from the answer Sana gave you, it seems that it was all her fault when on balance it was always me who provoked her"

"I don't care who made more mistakes than the other and I don't even want to hear you talk about your things because in reverse I wouldn't be happy, but I'm really disappointed. Sana, get out of my house. We'll talk tomorrow, now I have to take care of my sister" when the door was opened she raised her head to look at her friend "I'm angry, but I still want to tell you that our friendship is still valid to me"

Sana smiled even though she wanted to cry "it's the same for me and I'll try to regain your trust. See you tomorrow" she slowly closed the door, walking away at a brisk pace.

Jihyo did an unexpected thing: she hugged her sister tightly "you are a stupid girl, you should have talked about it with me. I would have understood you, I know what it means to be in a difficult situation"

"I was afraid of being judged and controlled, I was wrong" she was crying loudly "forgive me, I've already lost Sana and I don't want to lose you too"

Seeing her cry like that was breaking the older's heart "I'm here, you haven't done anything unforgivable" she was her hair with all the delicacy she was capable of "you didn't lose me and I'm sure the same goes for Sana"

 

 

 

 

"Would you like to accompany me? I have to go and get Tzuyu, on Saturday morning she attends a drawing course and has specifically requested my presence" Nayeon had already gathered all her things, ready to leave.

Jeongyeon nodded immediately after putting on her very expensive sunglasses "of course I want, we could all go to lunch together"

"Ask her, but don't be offended if she refuses" she was smiling at the thought of going out together "even if her love for food is so huge that it will prevent her from saying no, I'm sure"

Once they got into the car they the radio, looking at each other immediately after hearing the song chosen by one of the listeners: it was the song with which the younger had officially declared herself. Jeongyeon took the other girl's hand, holding it even when she had to change gears "it seems like a century has gone by since that day, yet I can still feel the embarrassment of then"

"It was a wonderful declaration of love, I remember crying like a fountain all night. I was so happy that my mother still teases me about my reactions"

"The following night you didn't have time to cry, I was a great girlfriend" she smiled proudly, remembering with nostalgia all their first experiences "I only regret being a prey to excitement and alcohol, damn party and damn the hen that organized it"

"We had fun anyway and that's what counts, as far as I'm concerned" she was delighted to holding hands, it reminded her of the old days "it was hard to get our families to accept our relationship, yet here we are. My father even bought a new bedroom for Nana, all strictly pastel green"

Jeongyeon stopped the car in front of the gate of the small recreational school, a little thoughtful "I would do almost everything"

"What would you like to eliminate from our path?"

"My behavior after the birth of our daughter, the problems all started from there" she had fixed the sunglasses on her head to look into her eyes "I will do everything to be forgiven and to go back to being a family, I swear to you"

Tzuyu opened the car door at that moment, throwing the small backpack on the seat and entering the car with elegance "why are you there too? I only asked Nayeon to come and get me"

"Because I have a proposal for you, spoiled doll"

"I'm all ears, you ugly witch"

Jeongyeon was making a huge effort not to laugh "I would like to invite you to lunch, I'll let you choose what to eat and where to go. Of course there will also be your favorite person" she said pointing to the girl sitting in the passenger seat.

Tzuyu seemed indecisive "I don't like old women, but she's offering me food and it would be a shame to refuse" she was muttering, focused on her decision as if her entire existence depended on it.

Nayeon's laughter echoed overwhelmingly "she called you an old woman and you should see your annoyed expression"

"Okay, I want to eat sushi" she leaned forward to grab the sunglasses of the girl sitting on the driver's side "I love these glasses, where did you get them? Did they cost a lot? I would love to have a pair like these"

Jeongyeon was focused on looking at the road, but she didn't miss the loving gaze that Tzuyu was giving to her glasses "keep them if you like them, they don't look good on me at all and taking them would do me a huge favor. I'd hate to throw them away"

Nayeon looked at her in surprise, knowing full well how much she liked them "what a surprise" she smiled looking at the younger girl "they look great on you, you look like a model"

"Thanks Jeong, I'll treat them well" she was smiling, the dimple on her cheek in plain sight.

"You don't have to thank me, I'm glad you like them"

Tzuyu had stopped smiling, but her contentment was evident "today's task involved drawing what's in my head, do you want to see?"

"Sure, give me here" Nayeon reached out to take the sheet, studying it carefully "you used several colors, but these combinations aren't bad. What is this?" she said pointing to an object without a precise shape in the center of the sheet.

"That is the mixture of my emotions, in fact in the middle there is a black hole that them up" she pointed to the precise point "since I can't express myself I thought of representing my problem in a different way"

Jeongyeon's intrusion immediately made the little girl smile "it's really fascinating, you have your own way of thinking and, frankly speaking, you're winning against that black hole. It's a great drawing and I hope I can see all the ones you do if this is your level of representation"

They started talking about art, rambling on so many other topics that managed to entertain Tzuyu to the point of making her talk more than the other two girls put together "do you know what would be nice for this day? Spending it with Nana, can we go and get her?"

"She'll jump for joy as soon as she sees us all coming together" at that moment Nayeon's smile shone brighter than the sun itself.

 

 

 

 

"She heard Dahyun scream and we couldn't deny it in any way, now Jihyo knows everything and even though her reaction wasn't that bad, I feel like a horrible person"

Momo had sighed for the tenth time, she was sorry and annoyed at the same time "luckily she didn't react badly or she could have felt unwell and in that case I wouldn't have forgiven you. Back to the main speech.. I'm a bit relieved because you will no longer have to hide your feelings for Dahyun, I know that Jihyo will understand the situation"

The redhead was intent on biting her nails because of her nervousness "she and I have no future, there is too much difference in age and I was the most stupid in the world for having given in so many times"

"I understand what you mean, but just because I know what it means I feel compelled to tell you that you are wrong. Dahyun wants to be with you despite all the possible problems you might have, she isn't afraid to show you what she feels and for these reasons you should give yourself a wake up call"

"I don't know how to do it, relationships aren't for me and she's a little girl, I can't force her to grow up to keep up with me" her cheeks were flushed, a clear sign that she felt like crying.

"Who talked about forcing her to grow up? She could lengthen her stride while you could easily shorten yours, so that you two can walk together effortlessly" she took her hands "do you really want to give up on her? Would it be okay for you to live with this regret? I've known you since we were born and I've never seen you like this, you've never fallen in love and now you're crying because you want to be with Dahyun"

"I love her, I can no longer pretend it isn't like that" she sniffed loudly, letting the tears roll undisturbed down her cheeks "I'm in love with Dahyun"

Momo smiled, gently wiping her face "take a few days to get yourself back together, to organize something nice to do with her and to talk to my girlfriend"

Sana's brain had only absorbed the last part of the phrase "am I wrong or did you say that Jihyo is your girlfriend?"

"I said it?" she smiled again, aware of what had just come out of but deciding to play her fool.

"Yes, you said it. I heard perfectly well" she had narrowed her eyes.

The brunette raised her hands in surrender "okay, I said it and I don't deny it. Jihyo is mine and nobody else's"

"You finally realized how things are, I wasn't hoping for it anymore" Sana was finally smiling "does she know?"

"Not yet, I'm rearranging my thoughts to find the right moment to step forward. I'm very scared, but I'm not going to let anyone take Jihyo and Minjun away from me. They are my family"

The other girl was crying again, this time because of happiness, and hugged her tightly "you said a beautiful thing, I'm proud of you. You're giving me the motivation not to give up"

"Let's make a promise: we will do everything possible, with our times of course, to make things work" she brought her little finger closer to that of her best friend, who had tightened it immediately to seal that promise as beautiful as important.

 

 

 

 

After spending the whole day in the company of Jeongyeon, the two girls had returned to find their roommates hugging on the couch "beauties, don't tell me you've been lazing all day"

"We didn't sleep much during the night and we are taking advantage of it, we are very tired" Jihyo had her eyes closed and her cheeks flushed: she felt too warm, but she had no intention of interrupting the hug "what did you do today?"

"Jeongyeon offered us lunch and then we went to get Nana" Tzuyu was still visibly elated judging by the constant movement of her fingers "then we went to the park and had a giant ice cream, even though Nana dropped hers"

Nayeon was proud of the progress made in those months "Tzuyu and Nana also started rolling in the earth, in fact this plague will immediately go for a nice hot shower and with lots of soap" she gently pushed her towards the corridor, waiting for her to close the bathroom door to look at the other two with a serious look "spit the toad and tell me what's wrong"

"Nothing ever escapes you, you're scary" Dahyun pouted, hiding her face behind her sister's shoulder "I got chills down my back"

"I'm a lawyer and my profession requires attention to every detail, you know"

Jihyo kissed her sister's head "if you don't feel like talking about it we won't say anything and I'm sure Nayeon won't pressure you"

"I don't really want it, but maybe having another point of view could help me" she began to tell every detail about her relationship with Sana, not even omitting the times she went to the club secretly despite the annoyed glances of the other two "this is it, I am was more sincere than ever"

"I can advise you to let it go and wait for her to make the first move, I'm sure she'll wake up and stop acting like this" Nayeon kissed her head fondly "and stop crying, show that you are a tough woman"

They had spent the rest of the evening talking about lighter topics, having a simple but delicious ramen for dinner. Tzuyu was so enthusiastic that she had talked the whole time, while the mood of the older of the group had dropped.

They had all gone to bed and Nayeon couldn't stop thinking she had forgotten something important "if I don't remember it wasn't that important, was it?" she said it boldly, but her sudden racing heartbeat immediately alarmed her.

She sat down to look at something on her cell phone, her eyes widening after realizing that she had turned off all of her alarm clocks "the meds, I didn't take them today" she put her hand to her chest, forcing herself to breathe evenly as she stood up to reach the cabinet where she kept her medicines and Nana's.

She didn't have time to get there: her legs had given way halfway and, despite the panic, her heartbeat had started to decrease. She tried to scream to be heard by her roommates, crying desperately "help me"

Tzuyu threw open the door of her room, frightened like never before in her life "what happened to you? Did you fall?"

"Take me.. The medicines" she was struggling to stay awake "and call Jeongyeon" she was sweating a lot, but luckily the girl was very quick to give her the pill she needed, supporting her to keep her seated and proving that she could handle a difficult situation like that.

Then she took the older's cell phone to make the requested call, holding back tears "Jeongyeon, I know it's late, but Nayeon feels bad and told me to call you. We are sitting on the floor and her heart is beating very slowly"

"Did you make her take her medicine?" she got up with rocket speed, not bothering to get dressed or put on her shoes before taking the car keys "very well, help her get into bed and keep her awake. Call your sister, she already knows what to do in these cases" she quickly closed the car door "I'm coming, tell her to recover" she closed the call, crying silently the whole time.

Upon her arrival at the small apartment she found the three sisters in Nayeon's room, worried but determined not to make her fall asleep. Jeongyeon reached the person she loved "I beg your pardon in advance" she said before giving her a well aimed slap on her cheek.

"Are you crazy?! It just doesn't seem like the time to beat her!" Jihyo was looking at her halfway between shock and blind anger.

"It was the doctor who recommended this method and Nayeon knows it. See, she's already recovering, she needs a jolt to get back to reality and the shock of a sudden slap is perfect. Nay, how are you feeling?"

"Like a rag. You are here" 

"Of course I'm here, I'm not leaving you" she was holding her in her arms "you're trembling, you have to calm down. The heartbeat is already returning back to normal"

Dahyun would have liked to cry, so much was the fright that she had taken, but she was holding back with all her strength "is this the first time this happens to her? Is it risky?"

Jeongyeon was still holding the older "this has happened before and it happens to her when she forgets to take her medicine. It's very dangerous because her heart could stop, but Tzuyu was very fast and saved this stupid"

The youngest of the house was sitting on the other side of Nayeon, also on the verge of crying "I was going to the bathroom when I heard a loud enough noise and I'm relieved to have checked"

"I know you're not going to like what I'm about to say, but it's clear that Nayeon needs more control and I'm already used to her physical problems, so I think it's best to let her stay home with me for a while"

"If it's for her sake I have no objection" Jihyo was her belly "I don't want anything to happen to my son's godmother"

"You are talking about me as if I were about to die, how dramatic you are" Nayeon muttered under her breath.

"You and I will talk when you get better, I'm very angry with you" Jeongyeon gently brushed her hair away from her face "tomorrow I'll take you for a visit, just to be safe"

Nayeon sighed loudly "I guess I can't avoid it. Would you like to stay here with me? I'm afraid if you're not there too" she had grabbed Tzuyu's hand.

"We are here" the younger told her after returning her squeeze, feeling overwhelmed by her sadness at the thought of seeing her go away.