Chapter nineteen

The Reason Why

Nayeon, with the permission of almost every employee of her girlfriend's business and annoyed that she still hadn't found the lost files, had waited for the time when they all had to go home to investigate a bit on her own. After all those months of researching, she was sure that someone who had been able to access them at any time had to make those documents disappear.

She just lacked a emplacement to check and her instincts were screaming, telling her that she had come to the solution of the problem and to hurry up. She the computer, rummaging through the drawers waiting for the screen to come on completely. She found nothing strange besides a pair of handcuffs with pink feathers "a little uncomfortable to use in the summer"

Her attention returned to her search for the files and she checked every single folder, even the most unlikely. She couldn't find anything and for that reason her palms collided with the desk "what a bummer!"

After that small bump, there was the sound of an object falling to the ground and she got up from the chair to check: it was a USB key that produced that sound, a key that Nayeon knew well as it was she who gave it to her girlfriend.

"What are you doing in front of my desk?" Emily walked up to her at a brisk pace, her eyes popping out "there are my personal things and you aren't allowed to get your hands on them, I could report you"

"Report me if you want, but you will have to answer for this" she put in plain sight the USB key in the shape of a rabbit, moving the other hand behind her back "you stole it from Jeongyeon, your boss, to blackmail her and take everything she owns. You faked layoffs that never happened, taking advantage of the fact that without these documents no one would be able to verify if the people who filed the complaint were actually fired, plus other things I prefer not to say"

The blonde smacked her tongue, crossing her arms over her chest "you can't prove that I did it all, finding the USB key under my desk doesn't make me guilty"

"Try explaining it to Jeongyeon when I tell her everything, I'm sure she'll be able to remember all the moments you manipulated her to steal everything from her"

"But I'm sure she also remembers the night we had very well. It was almost as memorable as the time I was able to copy and delete the files on her computer right under her nose"

Nayeon bit the inside of her cheeks to keep her cool and not to pull her hair out "nice move, but we've talked about it before and neither of us cares anymore about what you did that night, although I can't say the same about the last thing you said"

"Too bad, I had planned to let you beat me to win that fool's trust" she was looking at her nails with interest "after all I can't throw all my efforts to the wind, I can still take my due" she had approached the other girl, ready to hurt her with the small knife she always kept in her pocket "you're more fragile than a dry leaf and I could kill you in a second, you know? I've always wanted to get you out of the way and this is a golden opportunity for me"

"Just try to touch her and you will find out why a lot of people consider me as a man" Jeongyeon showed her cell phone "great thought Nay, you were right to call me. I even registered" she took Emily's arm hard to pull her away from her girlfriend, making sure to give her a jolt "I considered you a friend, but now you really disgust me. Don't hope to get by with little and be prepared to answer for your actions"

 

 

 

 

"Today you look pretty down in the dumps, are you sure you're okay?" Dahyun was her sister's baby bump, looking at her with a mixture of affection and concern.

"I miss Momo" she mumbled sadly "last night she slept at her mother's house and today they have a lot of things to do, she doesn't even have time to text me"

Sana was smiling, softened by the childish side of her friend "you have become inseparable and I'm sure she is doing her best to finish quickly, so that she can get back to you as soon as possible"

"Minjun is kicking a lot today, he's restless too" she took a deep breath, trying to relax "I didn't sleep a wink tonight and everything hurts, my back is in pieces"

Dahyun helped her up slowly, squeezing her hands but without hurting her "I'll take you to your room, you clearly need to rest" she supported her the whole time, worrying when she saw her sister with her eyes wide open and full of tears.

Jihyo's legs were shaking and her sweatpants were soaked "Dahyun.."

"Oh man, did you pee on yourself? You should have told me you had to go to the bathroom! Sana, give me a hand!"

"It's not pee, you idiot" she replied through gritted teeth.

The redhead was able to quickly understand what was happening and she helped her girlfriend to carry Jihyo in the car, explaining to the younger how things were. She plugged the phone into her car, calling Nayeon "I'm taking Jihyo to the hospital, Minjun is ready to be born. It takes two minutes and I thought it was quicker to do that than to wait for an ambulance to arrive"

"You made the right choice, see you there" she was no longer in the skin and before closing the call she had screamed with excitement.

Arriving at the hospital, the two girls let Jihyo be taken away by the nurses to prepare everything "this is really happening, I'm about to become aunt" Dahyun couldn't sit still, refusing her girlfriend's offer to sit on her lap.

"Jihyo is in very good hands, you will see that it won't take long. Come here and calm down, you aren't the one with the contractions"

"I know, but I'm freaking out because I would like to be by her side. I don't want to leave her alone during the childbirth"

Sana was sorry "the doctor said it's better this way and we have to trust his words, but I'm very sorry too"

"Is she already in the delivery room?" Nayeon was disheveled and out of breath, a sign that she had run like crazy "are they okay?" Tzuyu was with her and immediately rushed next to Dahyun.

"They took her away and I honestly don't think it will be long before Minjun is born, two minutes ago a nurse told us that Jihyo is already very dilated"

The older threw herself heavily on one of the chairs, catching her breath and arranging her hair with trembling hands "I'm so excited, so much so that I interrupted the afternoon in Jeongyeon's family to tell her to join us. Did you call Momo?"

"Dahyun and I have tried several times, but she doesn't answer. When she's busy, she always puts her phone on silent mode and it's almost impossible to contact her"

"I hope she finds out about the missed calls, Jihyo will need her"

The redhead was looking at her hands "they told us they won't let anyone in, for the safety of both of them"

"It's strange, but if it's been decided like this, I'm no one to protest"

They waited in silence, taking turns asking the nurses for information and staring at the wall until Jeongyeon, Mina and Chaeyoung arrived, the last one with Nana in her arms.

The little girl managed to distract them a bit, giving them a way to get rid of a good dose of anxiety, at least until they were reached by a doctor "are you Park Jihyo's family?"

Jeongyeon was the first to answer, the only one who was keeping a cool head "it's us doctor, what's going on? Is the baby already born?"

"Not yet and that's exactly why I'm here" he looked them all in the eyes "which one of you is Momo?"

"She isn't here at the moment, why are you asking us?" Nayeon had grabbed Sana's arm for comfort.

The doctor seemed worried "the patient is having a fit of crying and doesn't listen to my instructions, she can only say that she needs Momo. Her presence is necessary or we may lose both mother and child, please find her at sooner"

Sana was already on her feet, her car keys clutched in her hand "I'm going to look for her, you studded her cell phone with phone calls and messages"

 

 

 

 

"Do we have to go all this line just to ask for information? Please mom, let's forget it and find another way or we'll finish tonight!"

"Don't complain and keep your poor mother company" the woman was smiling and oblivious to the annoyance of her daughter "patience is the virtue of the strong darling, take note"

Momo rolled her eyes "I believe it, but in this way not even the most patient and calm person in the world would be able to stay calm. I told you that you can do everything online and that I can take care of it, it's much more practical and faster"

Mrs. Hirai checked the number she had in her hand "I need it to be an expert person to tell me everything and not a distracted one like you. Look, we only have ten people in front of us, it will take very little"

The brunette was about to retort badly, being stopped by the collision of her best friend's body against her own "I finally found you! You have to come with me to the hospital, Minjun wants to be born, but Jihyo is having a crisis and you are the only one that might be able to calm her down"

"Is Minjun coming? You should have warned me!"

"Check your stupid cell phone and you'll see we've all tried, you ing idiot. Oh, hi aunt, how are you?" she turned to the woman, moving frantically in haste.

The woman ignored her question, looking at her daughter "you have to go and do your part, show that girl that you have serious intentions and help her deliver the baby. I'm coming with you"

They were walking briskly towards the car, Momo was on edge "Minjun is about to be born and I haven't finished tidying up his room yet"

"Don't worry darling, it's well known that newborns almost always sleep in the bed and not in their crib" the woman was writing about the group with her friends, starting a voice message "bad rackets, I'm about to become a grandmother! You are envious, eh?"

"You don't even know Jihyo"

"It doesn't matter, you've told me so much about her that I already love her, so shut up and let me brag about having a grandchild on the way"

 

 

 

 

In the delivery room the situation was deteriorating and the medical staff no longer knew what to do to calm the girl. One of the nurses was wiping her tears with a handkerchief "honey, I know it hurts and it's hard, but you have to follow the directions to not lose your baby"

"I can't do it alone, I can't" she was crying desperately "I don't want to go through this alone"

"Prepare everything you need for the caesarean section, I have no intention of seeing them die and this time I will ignore the patient's wishes" the doctor left the delivery room to organize everything, relaxing at the sight of a girl wearing a surgical mask "are you Momo?"

"It's me" she felt uncomfortable because of the headset she had on her head, but her gaze was determined "I apologize for being late"

The man promptly let her in, telling her to stand next to the pregnant girl and help her calm down as much as possible. The brunette took her girlfriend's hand, approaching her as far as she was allowed "I'm here, stop crying and give birth to Minjun"

Jihyo immediately turned her head, letting the tears roll down her cheeks for the umpteenth time but stopping sobbing "you are here"

"I'm here" she repeated, not complaining about the exaggerated grip on her hand "now you have to calm down and do as you are told, okay? You're ready to give birth to our baby and it would be rude to make him wait any longer"

The other girl nodded, looking forward and doing everything she was told. She felt a lot of pain with every push "I hate you, damn you"

Momo looked at her surprised "I wasn't the one who made you pregnant, you can't be angry with me"

"I hate you anyway because you're a of the worst kind" she was squeezing her hand.

"You're totally right about that, but my poor hand doesn't approve of what you're doing to it"

"This is nothing compared to what I'm feeling" she was speaking through clenched teeth, so much was the pain she was feeling.

Momo smiled amused "you are beautiful, do you know?"

"Go yourself!"

The doctor interrupted their exchange to encourage Jihyo, urging her to give the last pushes and smiling after taking the crying baby "do you want to cut the umbilical cord?" he said to Momo.

The state of shock lasted very little and the girl did what the doctor told her, smiling at the sight of the baby "you are beautiful"

"I want to see him, let me see him" Jihyo was exhausted, but she still found the strength to stretch her arms forward. As soon as the doctor placed the baby on her chest she smiled in amazement, holding him very gently "welcome baby, I'm your mom"

"It was you who did this beautiful baby, look at his face" Momo's eyes were teary and she couldn't stop smiling. She still had the mask on her face, but her happiness was evident nonetheless.

Little after Minjun was taken away for routine checkups and to be cleaned and it was at that moment that Jihyo was able to relax a bit, letting her eyelids drop completely.

Momo was still by her side, intent on caressing her hand "I had never felt such a strong emotion in my entire life and I don't know how to thank you for letting me participate in this special moment" she was looking at her with shining eyes "I can no longer hide the love I feel for you and Minjun"

"Did I hear that right?" Jihyo's voice was low, but her eyes immediately reopened.

"You heard perfectly well, I said I love you and that I love our baby" she had never been so serious and the other girl knew it "would you like to live together and maybe later marry me? As soon as we have enough money we can move into a bigger apartment or buy our own house"

Jihyo was crying again "you are saying these things because you are in the throes of emotion"

"No, I'm making plans because that's what I want. I want a life with you" she kissed her head after removing the mask "I want to love you as you deserve and be a good mom to our Minjun"

"This is the best day of my life"

 

 

 

 

After leaving the nurses to take care of her girlfriend Momo joined the others in the waiting room, raising her arms immediately after walking through the doors "is born, Minjun is born!"

Her best friend ran to hug her "what's he like? When can we see him?"

"He is beautiful and tiny, he cried briefly but I can tell you that his little voice is adorable" her voice cracked and she sniffed, putting a hand in front of her face and immediately turning away.

Mrs. Hirai reached her daughter to caress her back "this is the emotion I told you about, it's difficult for anyone to manage and I'm happy to see you like this" she wiped her face with the delicacy typical of a mother "now you have a family and you'll have to take care of them"

"I hope to make them happy, I even told Jihyo I want to marry her" she smiled through her tears.

"You did what?" Sana was shocked by her best friend's revelation "you love her much more than I thought"

The doctor interrupted the moment to accompany the girls to see the newborn, pointing to his cradle "here is little Park Minjun, when her mother has recovered I will send someone to call you to go and greet her"

Momo was leaning against the glass, looking at her baby with adoring eyes "is he awake?"

"Yes, do you want to pick him up? We have made all the checks and he is in excellent health"

The girl's hands had started shaking with anxiety, but Nayeon's had grabbed her shoulders "it will come naturally to you, believe me. He's your baby and everything will be fine, you don't have to be afraid"

The brunette nodded before following the doctor, who had left her in the company of an employee in that department, marveling once again at the sight of that tiny baby "how do I go about taking him? The head needs to be supported, right?"

"That's right, that's it" the woman took him gently, showing the girl the correct way to lift him and placing him in her arms "you're doing fine, cradle the baby lightly so he doesn't feel uncomfortable"

Minjun was clenching his fist on Momo's shirt with such force that it looked as if he was afraid of being alone, not letting go the whole time.

"And so this tiny, adorable little creature is the same one that kicked his mom" the tone of voice Momo was using was low and sweet, just like the look she was giving to the baby "soon we will take you back to her and there will be other people waiting for you. We are a large family and you are the only boy, just think how lucky you are" she had the urge to cry again and it was the first thing she did when they took the baby out of her arms.

She washed her face persistently "stop crying, damn"

"It's the emotion, it would be strange if you didn't feel such overwhelming emotions" Jeongyeon had just come out of the bathroom and was washing her hands in the sink next to the one the other girl was using "even my legs are shaking and I assure you that it's not easy for me to show what I feel, but becoming an aunt is much more exciting than I thought"

Momo smiled a little sad "I'm afraid"

"About what?"

"Of not being a good mom and not good enough for Jihyo, I don't want to make them suffer"

Jeongyeon was her back "as a person who has always made a mistake I can tell you that this fear of yours will allow you to love them as they deserve, the important thing is not to let it win over you"

They looked into each other's eyes, encouraging each other for the future "I'll take your advice, thank you"

"You don't have to thank me, experience speaks for me"

Nayeon rushed into the bathroom "you idiots, the doctor said we can go to Jihyo and Minjun!" she was so elated that she ran off immediately after making the announcement, eager to meet her nephew.

"Let's go?" Jeongyeon was smiling in amusement.

"Let's go" Momo returned the smile.