Three - Apprenticeship

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is probably Karina's nth time watching Ryujin practice, but if she's actually being honest, she still can't figure out what's the difference between football and soccer. Karina finds herself seated in the campus field's front row bleachers, squinting as she tried to find Ryujin's Number 17 jersey.

 

She can clearly imagine Ryujin face-palming herself every single time she asks for the game's rules, too tired to explain it when she knows Karina just never really cared about the sport.

 

Karina's eyes landed on her block mate Choi Lia few yards away, holding a bottle of water. She can't hear the girl's thoughts at the moment, but she's aware the other girl is waiting for Ryujin too.

 

She hears the whistle of the coach signaling the players to take five. Her eyes followed Ryujin, then she sees Lia standing from her peripheral vision, offering Ryujin the bottled water as she passes by. The athlete just dismissively waved her hand, sending Lia a timid smile.

 

Karina sees Ryujin jog to her place. She tossed the sweaty girl a white towel, waiting for her to wipe her face. Karina then opened the bottled water and handed it to the girl who downed it in mere seconds.

 

"Why do you still watch this again Yooji-unnie?" Ryujin asks her, panting heavily, handing the empty bottle back.

 

"Am I not allowed to watch my favorite freshie being awesome in the field?" She responds, smiling sweetly at the other girl. "You're being snobby again. She's my block mate." Karina said, glancing in Lia's direction who looked like she wanted to kill her.

 

"Don't you have class? Where's Aeri-unnie?" Ryujin asks instead, eyes glancing around to locate the said girl.

 

"It's club period. She's busy, you know, club president and all." Karina shrugged.

 

"Ah right, and you're here because your introverted didn't want to join any club at all, and you waste this free period bugging me."

 

"Yah I'm not bugging you, I'm just quietly watching here." Karina said, pouting a bit.

 

"What are you thinking?" Karina asks the younger.

 

Used to this question already, Ryujin smiled. "I'm thinking, you should join a club and get yourself a life!" she chuckled, tossing the sweaty towel back to Karina, earning a groan from the older girl when it landed on her face.

 

"I heard the campus DJ is looking for an apprentice, your loner would fit in there." Ryujin sticks out her tongue, dimples on her cheeks appearing. "And once you're an actual DJ, you're required to greet me on campus radio whenever you're on air."

 

"Shin, back to the field!" Both girls turn their heads to the voice coming from the coach, waving his hand to get the player's attention.

 

"Okay, break's over. Walk me home later?" Ryujin asks.

 

"I'll wait for you outside the lockers Jinie." Karina said, patting the shorter girl's head, slightly leaning down from the bleachers.

 

Choi Lia throws Karina a deadly look before storming off.

 

Karina spent few more minutes watching the girl play, clapping her hands whenever the girl scores (she at least understands what a goal is). She likes sitting in the bleachers, in an open space, where she can see a lot of people but can't hear the majority of them. Her eyes follow every move Ryujin makes, still in wonder of how such a person exists.

 

-

 

The thing about Karina's gift, is she never falls victim to jump scares. Whenever Giselle or any of their block mates attempt to scare her, she would just scare them back. They may tiptoe their way around Karina, but as soon as they got near her, she would hear their thoughts and would smirk to herself before she goes to scare them beforehand and see the shocked faces of her pranksters.

 

The very first and only time ever she got jump scared, was by Shin Ryujin.

 

Ryujin is inherently sly, with the athletic feet of hers. Karina recalls the first time she met the younger.

 

She was having one of those worse than bad days and decided to skip class. Karina loves open spaces, so instead of heading straight home, she stopped by the nearby park. She watched as the kids run around the playground, keeping a safe distance in case the noise gets overwhelming. She found an empty swing near the slides and decided to sit there instead.

 

Calming herself, she sways a bit, her shoes hitting the ground, both her hands gripping the galvanized chains. She continued doing this for few minutes, her white shoes gathering dust. Her eyes are trained on the ground, and she busied herself listening to the sounds of the creaking steel bar.

 

Suddenly, she found herself up in the air. Karina had never been that terrified in her whole life.

 

She looks back as the swing comes down and rocks her in the other direction, a petite girl behind her grinning mischievously was pushing her back again, this time, higher and stronger.

 

"Waaaaaaahhhh! Stopp! Stopp waaaaahhh" Karina hysterically screamed.

 

She hears the girl laughing her heart out, before preparing herself to push Karina for another round.

 

"Please no no stop!" Karina begged, almost in tears, feet scrambling on air. The girl probably heard the desperation in her voice and decided to stop pushing, letting Karina slowly get back down.

 

"What did you do that for?!" Karina said angrily, tears welling in the corner of her eyes.

 

"You looked so pathetic swinging back and forth alone. So, I gave you a push." The girl shrugged.

 

"Why don't you mind your own business!" Karina bites back. Her gaze follows the petite girl's actions, seeing her take the other vacant swing next to her, hearing the creaking sounds of metal.

 

"Your uniform, you're from AE-U?" the girl asks. Karina stared down at her clothes, finding herself nodding instead. The girl talks calmly and slow, so Karina suddenly felt bad for raising her voice.

 

"I'll take the entrance exam next week. I've passed SMU already, but I wanted to go to AE-U, I heard your field is awesome."

 

"Field?" Karina asks, eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

 

"Football field. I heard AE-U's got a better one than SMU."

 

Karina stared at her dumbfounded. She stood up from her swing and stopped in front of the girl a bit close, dropping her head to look at the figure swinging calmly. The girl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter