Seven - The Cure (?)

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter has no business holding Karina's hand as she waits for Giselle in the clinic.

 

When the girl passed out inside the DJ booth, Winter has no one else to blame except herself. If it wasn't for her, Karina wouldn't have to push herself to her limits when she obviously can't. The guilt and panic and something else entirely are catching up to her now, gnawing right under her skin. 

 

Winter caresses Karina's hand, learning that whenever she removes it, the girl would groan, and would look and sound like she's in pain. Right now, the girl is peacefully asleep, the nurse resulting to putting her on IV.

 

Apparently, this is her second time checking in here today.

 

The door opens and she sees Giselle's worried face pop up, screaming bloody murder before she hushes and realized her friend is still unconscious. She's in the middle of a club activity when Winter frantically called her about bringing their friend to the campus clinic.

 

Winter tells her about the details, and Giselle thanks her because if she wasn't standing close to Karina, she might have had a bad fall.

 

Winter removes her hand from Karina's as Giselle takes her place from the bedside seat, but the girl started sounding like she's in pain again. Her breathing was heavy and her face is scrunched in pain. Giselle looked at Winter with panic painted on her face, throwing her a silent question of what to do. 

 

Winter moves back to her original position, swapping with Giselle as she steps away from the chair just beside the bed. Winter holds Karina's hand again as she did for the past hour, and looks at Giselle with an unreadable expression.


As soon as Winter does this, Karina started to breathe normally, getting back to her peaceful state. This earns a raised eyebrow from Giselle.

 

"I don't know what's with that too. I figured that out earlier with a couple of tries. I kinda feel sorry for her whenever I let go." Winter says.

 

"That's totally weird. How are you going to go home then?" Giselle asks.

 

"I'll probably wait till she's awake." Winter answers, gaze back to Karina's fingers as she softly rubs her own fingers to it.

 

"Girl, are you planning on staying here all night?" Giselle said, moving around to the other side of the bed.

 

"I guess I'll let her sleep for a bit longer then I'll wake her up." Winter answered.

 

"Well, I guess the nurse would call Rina's parents anyway. We can stay here until they come." 
 

-


Winter was surprised to see Karina at school the next morning. She was under the impression the girl would take the day off, given what happened to her yesterday. After all, the girl looked like she needed more than just rest.

 

A smile tugs at the corner of Karina's lips, it's not much, but it doesn't fade away instantly like it always does. Something softer than all the smiles Winter had the privilege of seeing prior.

 

Winter sees Karina glancing at Giselle's seat seeing the other one hasn't arrived yet. She'll never hear the end of it, she knows.

 

"Hi, are you feeling better now?" Winter checks up on the older girl, her eyes tracing over the girl's face.

 

"Whole lot better, thanks. I'm sorry you had to be there and see me like that." Karina says as she takes her seat and angles herself to face Winter.

 

"No, I'm– I'm the one who should be sorry- if it wasn't for me—"

 

"It's not your fault, Winter. That's on me. I wasn't feeling really well since that morning and I should've just taken the day off instead of thinking I'll be alright." Karina assures her.

 

"But still—"

 

"Nope, don't even think about it. Thank you, Winter. I heard you waited till my parents arrived. You didn't have to."

 

"That's nothing I—"

 

"Rina! Why the hell are you here today!?" Giselle storms off to Karina's seat, standing in front of her with hands on her waist. 

 

"Relax Gi, I'm feeling better now." Karina says.

 

"You better be! You scared the fudge out of me! Don't do that again." Giselle said as she takes her usual seat beside the girl. The girl keeps on talking about how she should not skip meals and take sick days off when she's not feeling well.

 

True to her words, Karina appeared her usual self throughout the day. Giselle insisted on staying away from the cafeteria, knowing that when Karina is having a bad day, she'd prefer not to eat in there.

 

Giselle offers to buy their food, leaving Karina and Winter sitting side by side on the bench. It was a typical school bench with a table attached to it, but instead of facing the table, they chose to sit with their backs on it, watching silently as the students make their way to their classrooms from the cafeteria.

 

Winter's hands are pressed on both her sides, her feet wiggling back and forth the grass.

 

Winter sees Karina fidgeting in her seat, something that she noticed the girl never did before. Was the girl nervous? Winter didn't realize she's staring when Karina looks back at her then immediately looks away, staring at nothing in particular.

 

Winter awkwardly shifts her gaze away from the other girl too. From her peripheral vision, she sees Karina drop her hands unto her sides as well, her pinky finger lightly grazing with hers.

 

She thinks she saw Karina flinch for a bit with the slight contact, but didn't make a move to remove her pinky at all.  She didn't know what to say, or whether she wants to move from her position and face the table instead. Winter didn't even know if she should want to move or not.

 

Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter