Six - Worse than bad day

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lia sits in her usual spot for Tuesday practice. 

 

Holding a bottle of water, she scolds herself internally for having this pathetic girl crush. Her eyes followed Ryujin's movements on the field, cheering loudly whenever the girl scores. Lia's breath hitches in because Ryujin is just so good. Every single shot she takes is with precise movements, almost never fails. She would sometimes stare at the beads of sweat trickling down the younger girl's neck, and tries so hard not to throw jealous glances at the members of her team she's already charmed. Ryujin is a freshman, yet she sprints around the field like she's lived there her whole life.

 

She recalls the first time she laid her eyes on the girl. 

 

Lia had always been straight as a ruler. Not that she ever had to label herself one, because what kind of heteroual human being really has the need of coming to terms with themselves that they're straight? So when that unfortunate (or fortunate depending on who's point of view) afternoon happened, she went back and did a virtual rewind for the whole course of her life thinking she had been oh so wrong.

 

She blames it on Howie Day really, because if it wasn't for his song Collide playing on her earphones, she wouldn't get hypnotized into thinking that the atmosphere is a romantic one. Or maybe, she blames it all on that stupid senior guy who bumped her in the hallways when she was about to hand over the class notebooks to the faculty room. Maybe it was really Miss Seulgi's fault, because why did she choose her of all people to bring these late notebooks into the faculty room anyway?

 

Nonetheless, freshmen Lia, in her large Harry Potter glasses, holding a bunch of late notebooks, never thought that in all her luck, she'd actually collide into someone. 

 

She swears to herself as she tries to stand up, gritting her teeth as she sees the culprit who looks like a senior guy rushing through the hallways. He bows to her apologetically but continues to dash, not helping her one bit. She couldn't really blame him. There are a lot of students in the hallway this time of the year, with seniors trying to rush through their final requirements before graduation, and incoming first-years signing up for next semester's pre-registration. 

 

She feels hands on her elbows helping her stand up, with Howie Day ringing on her ears. The girl takes a step closer and Lia swallows hard, feeling an unfamiliar heat radiating straight from this girl's body right to hers. 

 

I'm quiet you know
You make a first impression
I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind

 

Lia thinks this is unbelievable. When she read about those stupid slow-motion things in books, or whenever she sees it in movies, she would roll her eyes because why the hell would everything slow down just because you think you're in love? But why the hell is everything moving so slowly—

 

She looks back to see a radiant smile coming from a petite girl, probably as tall as her, leaning down now to pick up the notebooks she dropped. 

 

Out of the back you fall in time
I somehow find
You and I collide

Du du du du—

 

"Are you okay?" The girl asks her and Lia suddenly remembered she's not starring in a ing music video, pulling her earphones out. 

 

"I- yes, thank you." 

 

"Are you heading to the faculty room? I'll help you carry these." the girl offers. 

 

"Oh, no, no I wouldn't want to bother you. Thank you for helping me, really." Lia answered, reaching for the notebooks from the other girl's hands. 

 

"That's fine, the faculty room is just across the registrar's office, I'm heading there anyway." the girl says, motioning for them to start walking. 

 

Lia found herself nodding and walking beside the girl. It's only a few-minute walk but Lia felt like it's an eternity. They walk in comfortable silence and stopped by the door of the faculty room. 

 

"Thanks for helping me, uh—" Lia prompts for the girl's name.

 

"Shin Ryujin." the girl says, offering her hand.

 

"Choi Jisu." Lia shakes her hand. 

 

"I'll get going then, Jisu-ssi." Ryujin says, feet stepping back before completely turning her body away. 

 

"Bye, thank you again." Lia waves quietly. 

 

Lia walked like a zombie inside the faculty room, locating Miss Seulgi's table on autopilot. She recalls what happened and she can't believe she just experienced the very main thing she calls cliche in movies. 

 

 

Lia was brought back to the present when she realized she just missed Ryujin walking past in front of her. She sees the girl already talking to Karina, smiling in her perfect smile and leaning to the bleachers, listening to what the taller girl is saying. Both girls looked in her direction and Lia sees the surprised look on Ryujin's face, before smiling at her and raising her right hand for a small wave. 

 

Is she actually waving at me? . Lia awkwardly raised her hand and waved back.

 

Karina doubles over in laugher beside Ryujin, who Lia thinks is blushing tomato red. 

 

Lia's chest burns, goes dry because of how she wishes she's causing all of that. Lia knows she should probably stop being mean to her block mat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter