Seventeen - But Aeri?!

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeji sat at the campus' covered court bleachers, her twin's gym bag on her left side, and cold bottled water at hand.

 

Admittedly, this would be the first time she's watching her brother practice at school. She had enough of him and the clinking of his basketball ring in their backyard almost every day, so she never needed to visit him during practice. Besides, Hyunjin's girlfriend would usually be there, except for today as the girl was stuck in some important club meetings. She needed someone to bring Hyunjin a change of clothes and so Yeji volunteered to do so. 

 

Her twin had always been great at everything—sports, academics, everything. It never bothered her because it's not like she had to compete with him, plus he had always been a sweet brother to her. Their parents did a great job of not making them feel like they had to be better than one another. They grew up close but have always let one another thrive from their own shells. They don't hang out much at school and would only sometimes go home together, so it didn't really bother them whenever people would be so surprised to find out they're twins.

 

Yeji hears the buzz indicating the game was over but was distracted when she heard some obnoxious giggles. She glanced at the girls just five feet away from her (Yeji thinks they're probably from senior blocks) and their poor attempts at suppressing their high-pitched screams. She shook her head, used to lots of girls caught up with her brother's charms. 

 

She sees Hyunjin scanning the bleachers, probably looking for his girlfriend. Yeji stood up waving and called for her brother, the older one smiling at her sweetly. She heard some murmurs from the girls on her right, curious as to why Hyunjin is sending her that killer smile. One of them even throws her an intimidating look.

 

These girls should calm down.

 

"Hey, baby girl. Why are you here?" Hyunjin says, walking towards her. This earned more confused murmurs from the senior girls. 

 

"Did he just call her baby girl? What the hell?"

"She's pretty though, they look nice together."

"What no, she's not. Oppa deserves better."

 

Yeji rolled her eyes. Oppa? They're older than him! 

 

"YOUR GIRLFRIEND is stuck in a meeting, Oppa. So I'm here as her sub, because I'm your BEST SISTER EVER." Yeji answered, voice intentionally louder so the girls starting to get on her nerves can hear her. Hyunjin glanced at the girls briefly before grabbing the bottled water from his twin. 

 

"Don't let noona hear that, she thinks she's my best sister ever." Hyunjin chuckles, imitating Yeji's tone. "Uncle Soo is picking us up, are you coming?" 

 

"Nah, I just came here to bring you this and tell you that she's heading straight to the parking lot. Or you can just text each other, she's probably still in that meeting though." Yeji said. 

 

Hyunjin hums at this, grabbing his bag to get his towel and change of shirt. 

 

"Why aren't you changing in the lockers anyway? And maybe shower first?" Yeji jokes.

 

"It's been under maintenance for a week now. Ri's been bringing me my change of clothes and I would just shower at home."

 

"He actually got a girlfriend? I don't see him with anyone though!" 

"We should probably back off now."

"No, I need to know who's that girl."

 

Yeji rolled her eyes again, she feels like if she stayed longer, her eyes would actually get stuck at the back of her head for rolling too much. Pulling her twin away from the bleachers, she summoned all her self-control not to stick her tongue out to those pathetic girls. 

 

-

 

Taeyeon is now convinced that Jimin loiters at her boutique solely because of her little sister. 

 

It's a welcomed change, seeing Jimin almost every other day lingering in her shop, oftentimes even staying up for dinner with her and Minjeong. Sometimes, they'd come together, especially on days they said they have a schedule at their campus radio. Other times, Jimin would drop by and surprise Minjeong, the latter would always tell her not to do that because what if I'm not here Karina-unnie?

 

Jimin would smirk at her little sister and would look into her direction before always answering—

 

"I'm here because I wanted to catch up with Taengo unnie, not you."  

 

Now, Taeyeon doesn't believe that one bit. Because right now, Jimin looked so fidgety, as if she'd rather be anywhere else than inside her little clothing boutique. 

 

"Didn't she tell you she's hanging out with Somi?" Taeyeon asked. 

 

"Actually, she did. I guess it slipped out my mind." Jimin answered, fiddling with the pincushion, pulling needles in and out. 

 

"Are you going to wait for her or do you want to grab dinner with me instead?" Taeyeon asked, placing the measuring tape around her neck.

 

"Yeah, let's do that unnie, I'm starving anyway."

 

They decided to just have their dinner delivered to the shop. It's still a bit early anyway, and Jimin appears to be waiting for Minjeong too. Taeyeon entertained her with questions about what they do on the campus radio, any other extracurricular activities she's been busying herself with, and other random things. 

 

"Also, what do you have in your phone that you and Minjeong would end up racing like third-grade students every single time?"

 

"That little peanut found out my passcode so she would go through my phone and change my wallpaper every time she gets a chance. Yesterday, she changed it to that meme of Sooyoung from Red Velvet eating watermelon while crying."

 

Karina remembers how Winter tricked her into finding out her passcode.

 

"Min-min unnie, what's your passcode?"

"I'm not telling you."

"Just a clue then."

"Well, it's the year my mom was born, then the date of my birth."

"So like 4 digits birth year of your mom, and then 2 digits your birth date?"

"Yeah."

"When was your mom born?"

"Nice try, Winter."

 

A few days later...

 

"Unnie, did you know that my mom was already in her 40's when she had me? That's why Taeyeon unnie and I got a huge gap between us." Winter clings onto her arm as they walked side by side, heading out the campus.

"Oh really, that's hard is it?"

"Yeah, it was a difficult pregnancy, I was told. How about you unnie? How old was your mom when she had you?"

"She was like, 29 that time. She was pretty young so it was easy, I guess?"

"Hmmm, I see. Unnie, can I borrow your phone?"

"Here," Karina said before her eyes went wide as she sees Winter typing out 197111 in her phone before storming off shrieking in happiness.

"You little—"

 

"Why don't you change your passcode then?" Taeyeon asked curiously before grabbing a huge bite of her sandwich. 

 

"I know right, I should just change it." Karina murmured.

 

-

 

Winter looks at the girl walking beside her, gears on her mind turning, thinking of a quick way to make her smile. 

 

She looks around the area, they're almost in front of her sister's shop, with Somi insisting she should at least walk her back. Winter sees the nearby tree, eyes flashing in a light bulb moment, before running off to grab a fallen twig underneath it. Somi follows her curiously before dissolving into loud laughter, almost howling at the other girl's antics. 

 

"Quit hitting yourself! Quit hitting yourself!" Winter yells as she hits the trunk of the tree repeatedly with its fallen branch, looking so ridiculous that people are starting to look in their direction. 

 

"Oh my God Winter, stop it! Oh my God!" Somi cackles as she looked around and throws apologetic signs to everyone looking in their direction, still unable to hold herself properly as she laughed hysterically beside the girl. Tears are starting to well on her eyes and after few more seconds, she ended up actually crying, for real.

 

"Fudge— umm, hey hey, are you okay?" Winter coos the girl now hugging her tightly, crying on the nook of her neck. She soothes Somi's back, whispering that everything will be fine. 

 

"Sorry, gosh, Winter I'm sorry." Somi took a deep breath and wiped her tears with the back of her hand, turning away from Winter, suddenly feeling absurd. 

 

"No, it's okay. Umm, sorry, here." Winter offers her a white hanky, which the other girl accepted thankfully, wiping her face before looking back at Winter again.

 

"Thank you so much for today Winter, you don't know how much this means to me." Somi tells her, sniffing but already looking composed. 

 

"Do you want to come in for a drink or something?" Winter offers, pointing to the entrance of her sister's boutique. 

 

Somi looks inside through the glass and saw two people looking at them curiously, the other one she realized was Karina. She looks back at Winter and smiled widely, shaking her head and letting her know she'll just wait for a taxi and head straight home.

 

Winter offers to wait with her which didn't take that long as there was already an available vehicle nearby. Somi hugs Winter goodbye, kissing her on the cheeks, thanking her again for her company. Winter waved at her as the taxi drove away from her place. 

 

She comes in to see her sister's eyebrows shoot up, silently asking her what happened outside, and Karina looking so stern as ever. 

 

"Oh, you're here?" Winter said, looking at the variety of food the two have ordered. 

 

"Yeah, I told you, I come here to hang out with Taengo unnie." Karina answers coldly.

 

"Minjeongie, why are you making a pretty girl cry? And really, outside my shop?" Taeyeon teased, urgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter